HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who do you bring in as GM?

Old
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Lab Monkey

vCash: 500
Who do you bring in as GM?

Title says it all, if you needed to replace Homer RIGHT NOW who do you bring in?

I'll prolly catch flak for this, but I go back to Clarkie. I love that man.

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Title says it all, if you needed to replace Homer RIGHT NOW who do you bring in?

I'll prolly catch flak for this, but I go back to Clarkie. I love that man.
We seem to be drafting better, especially in later rounds.

He's put together an incredible team that appears to have been underachieving because of Stevens.

He has his loyalties, but the Stevens situation proves he's not afraid to pull the trigger to win.

He is extremely solid at evaluating talent that can be useful to our team in free agency/via trade.

His one knock is cap management, but we haven't really had to sell our souls for winning just yet.

If anyone should be complaining about a supposed "lack of a prospect pool" it should be me, and I have absolutely no problem with the current pool or the moves he's made (even if they depleted our "future").

If he ends up the next scapegoat, I quit you all. Stevens deserved it. Holmgren does not.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Paul Holmgren.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:46 PM
fire bettman

Homers not going anywhere.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

He's put together an incredible team that appears to have been underachieving because of Stevens.

He has his loyalties, but the Stevens situation proves he's not afraid to pull the trigger to win.

He is extremely solid at evaluating talent that can be useful to our team in free agency/via trade.

His one knock is cap management, but we haven't really had to sell our souls for winning just yet.

If anyone should be complaining about a supposed "lack of a prospect pool" it should be me, and I have absolutely no problem with the current pool or the moves he's made (even if they depleted our "future").

If he ends up the next scapegoat, I quit you all. Stevens deserved it. Holmgren does not.
Well said..

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Hollywood Couturier

John Stevens.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Homer.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't think Homer is doing a bad job. The Briere contract seems bad now, but at the time it wasn't. He has drafted very well and has made some nice additions (Pyorala, Asham (that was Homer, right?), Emery, etc.). The Jones debacle though, ugh. That's enough to make anyone go nutty.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:19 PM
CantSeeColors

I wouldn't fire him for a while, but when the time comes I'd try to find some stat geek like Daryl Morey.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:32 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Definitely Mike Milbury or John Stevens.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:53 PM
MojoJojo

Ron Hextall. Plenty of quality years under his belt as a pro scout and obviously has strong Philly connections. Assistant GM in LA, GM of the Monarchs in the AHL. He would make a credible candidate.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Eh, I'm not so sure how much of Holmgren's hand was on the trigger to fire Stevens. I feel that move most definitely came from Mr. Snider. There will never be anything to prove it, but Snider had to have had some pressure on Homer to finally make the move. Stevens had to have been skating on thin ice since his second ten game losing streak in Snider's mind. There were multiple times to get him out of here, getting to the third round basically bought him another year from Holmgren's POV, but if Holmgren didn't make the move now, he would be gone too.

As for Homer as a GM, he's been up and down. The ups being moves like the stroke of genius in bringing Timonen and Hartnell in, the downs being moves like bringing Jones on re-entry which will probably bite us in the ass at some point this season, and I still don't like all of the early round draft picks he's jettisoned. Whether Pronger was worth the 2 firsts will remain to be seen, but the lack of early round draft picks this team has in the next couple of years is frightening.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Cleary84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
John Stevens.

Quote:
Definitely Mike Milbury or John Stevens.
You guys being sarcastic? I could definitely see him being a good GM is the understanding that he is good with development.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
You guys being sarcastic? I could definitely see him being a good GM is the understanding that he is good with development.
I think they were definitely being sarcastic. Milbury made so many bad moves as a GM, he makes John Stevens as a coach look like a master mind, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't mind Stevens back as the Phantoms coach. Just god no to being an NHL coach.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:08 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Joe McGrath

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Keith Allen. He's still around.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
ph

Anyone who has never played with, been associated with or played against the Broad Street Bullies.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:30 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
Anyone who has never played with, been associated with or played against the Broad Street Bullies.
what does that qualification do in terms of GM duties?

Old
12-06-2009, 07:21 AM
ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
what does that qualification do in terms of GM duties?
it doesn't change the GM duties but at least we wont trade Upshall and a 2nd for a headcase fighter who constantly screws over his team because he thinks this is boxing. At this point I don't trust anyone who was close to broad street bullies to run this franchise.

ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

As an outside observer, I think Holmgren has put together a team with serious talent and depth, everywhere other than in goal. If you guys trade for a top-flight goalie talent, as a Pens fan I would lose some sleep over that.

Firing Stevens was a smart move, but beyond that I don't think this is a management problem. I think maybe you've got some problems in the locker-room (Emery or maybe Pronger would be my first guess but it's just a guess; those two are a bit of a loose canon... I can see either one of them barking at teammates or saying something at the wrong time). That or something that's distracting your guys. Too many nights out with Hartnell at the local pole-dancers club?

Much as I hate to admit it, I can't see how your team won't finish as one of the best in the East once this funk shakes out a bit. Maybe a decent sized trade in the works to shake things up / send a message? Have a look at some mediocre Western teams with cap room and see which brand names are underachieving over there... Flyers seem like the perfect candidate for a shake-up trade where both teams get good assets that need a change of scenery. I can't say I wish you success but it's hard to see how you will avoid it in the long run. It's a long season and your future -with guys like Richards, Carter, JVR and Giroux in the mix- looks pretty bright from where I sit.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:47 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I good GM isnt exactly easy to find. It was not an easy task to turn the 06-07 team to the 07-08 one.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:10 AM
MsWoof

Forget a GM, we need a capologist. I don't think Holmgren understands the workings of the cap. The Jones signing (overpayment), then sending him to the AHL was on him, and adding fuel to the fire by bringing him back up knowing the Flyers would be in cap hell if he was claimed, these are all things a capologist would warn him about. Also, with the Pronger contract extension where I think he wasn't aware of the over 35 situation.

I don't have a problem with the way the team looks now as far as personnel goes. Lavi is just going to have to work with them on getting them out of the downward spiral.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Forget a GM, we need a capologist. I don't think Holmgren understands the workings of the cap. The Jones signing (overpayment), then sending him to the AHL was on him, and adding fuel to the fire by bringing him back up knowing the Flyers would be in cap hell if he was claimed, these are all things a capologist would warn him about. Also, with the Pronger contract extension where I think he wasn't aware of the over 35 situation.

I don't have a problem with the way the team looks now as far as personnel goes. Lavi is just going to have to work with them on getting them out of the downward spiral.
he does now... were 5 under the cap and he stated it dont make sense to pick someone up now and give them a contract when gags will be coming back.... so either he learned or someone is helping him...

Old
12-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Lab Monkey

to those not on board before, how about now?

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
JCameron418

Can't blame Homer for the poor play as of late. Homer has built a team with great talent but the team just isn't playing good right now. Homer stays.

Down the line though I wouldn't mind seeing Hextall becoming the GM because well.... he's Ron Hextall.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote