HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers claim Christensen/Valiquette waived (UPDATE: Clears waivers)

Old
12-04-2009, 09:45 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Christensen's struggled with confidence issues big time in Pittsburgh. Doesn't look like something he's going to get over anytime soon. It's actually a bit sad as he seems like a nice person.

But he needs to be in Europe or in some roller hockey league. Dude's got talent, but not enough talent to overcome his passive nature. If he played with a "balls to the wall", all out style he'd be more effective, but this only happens in 3 game spurts a few times a season.
I think this is an accurate assessment of what we will be getting from him. Tortorella as his coach doesnt seem like a match made in heaven, but you never know how the coach/player relationship will play out. Sometimes Torts can bring the best out in a player, but in this case im not counting on it.

We'll see soon enough...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
patrick rismiller 2.0
Not even close. Rissmiller is a punk with a misplaced case of self-entitlement.

Christensen is a guy who has had his confidence shaken, but certainly has enough talent to make it in the NHL. He's always been quiet. Even when I met him in Pittsburgh, he looked like I had just backed over his cat in the parking lot. I'm sure that's just compounded by the fact he's on his 4th team in what, 3 years?

He was most successful in Pittsburgh when he was skating hard. His shot is NHL caliber, no question about it. He has hockey sense. He has good skating ability. He just needs to start playing with some more edge to his game and he could be a pretty solid 3rd liner in this league.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Levitate

Maybe Derek Stepan's coach should talk to him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:01 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
ISometimes Torts can bring the best out in a player, but in this case im not counting on it.

We'll see soon enough...
To be honest, it looks like the worst possible fit for player and team. I'm hoping it works out for him (not so much the Rangers, haha) though.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not even close. Rissmiller is a punk with a misplaced case of self-entitlement.
Rissmiller's a punk!? What did I miss?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
ak10r

Looks as though Torts is finally listing to us here at HFBoards and implementing our plan to win the cup……

OK so I have to toot my own horn……. And its really about nothing but it’s all I have…..

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...85DoMLqzOUeOzH

"The reality is that Steve doesn’t play a whole bunch and that he was not going to get his game back by practicing. As he goes through it, we’ll get reports and make our decision accordingly

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0YjwTI5XQ

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=694347&page=5

From November 30th…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10r View Post
Is it possible to send him to Hartford for ten days to two weeks so he can get back to back to back games? It would sharpen his timing and get him use to other shooters besides other Rangers in practice. He could easily be called back in an emergency. Johnson or Zaba could be back-up and perhaps get a game in a NHL to evaluate where they are in the pecking order.

It must be difficult to only face the same shooters in practice day after day then every couple of weeks be 100 % for one game in the NHL.

Last edited by ak10r: 12-04-2009 at 11:36 AM.
ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 11:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
To be honest, it looks like the worst possible fit for player and team. I'm hoping it works out for him (not so much the Rangers, haha) though.
LOL

Yeah i know, i kinda feel that way about it too... but hey this is the Rangers and Glen Sather - we'll try each and every question mark out there!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 12:01 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
word.

hows he look in a suit ??

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Caps have had success picking up guys off the scrap heap. Matt Bradley failed in San Jose and Pittsburgh before becoming a good role player for the Caps.
I don't disagree with your overall conclusion, but Matt Bradley didn't exactly fail in San Jose. He played a role much like what he is playing now, maybe asked to do a bit more with offense, and a bit less fighting. He was never seen as a disappointment, as far as I can recall, he just had others in front of him with more skill who could do the same things he can do.

Good for him that he's found a team that can use him in a role he is suited for.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Well, we've been REALLY struggling on faceoffs...other than that..yeah

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
RangerFan10

I think the solid lockerroom guy Vali is...sending him down was a clear message to the defense that no one's job is safe and they need to step up their game.

I also think Heikkenen being called up wasn't just because he's lefthanded, but to show everyone we've got more than one defenseman in hartford that's probably ready to play at this level.

Old
12-05-2009, 09:17 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I think the solid lockerroom guy Vali is...sending him down was a clear message to the defense that no one's job is safe and they need to step up their game.

I also think Heikkenen being called up wasn't just because he's lefthanded, but to show everyone we've got more than one defenseman in hartford that's probably ready to play at this level.
I was at the game tonight and he Heikenen looked very good.

Christensen was also quietly effective. He has good size and knows what to do with the puck.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I was at the game tonight and he Heikenen looked very good.

Christensen was also quietly effective. He has good size and knows what to do with the puck.
I thought Heikkinen was absolutely miserable in the first period, he was trying to be too cute with the puck, but as the game went on he settled down a bit. I honestly thought Sanguinetti was better, but thats just me. 1 game isn't much of a sample size though, let's see how he is tomorrow.

I thought Christensen was OK...nothing special, nothing horrible either. To me im very ambivalent towards whether he plays or not...though I suppose anything is better than Voros.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I thought Heikkinen was absolutely miserable in the first period, he was trying to be too cute with the puck, but as the game went on he settled down a bit. I honestly thought Sanguinetti was better, but thats just me. 1 game isn't much of a sample size though, let's see how he is tomorrow.

I thought Christensen was OK...nothing special, nothing horrible either. To me im very ambivalent towards whether he plays or not...though I suppose anything is better than Voros.
I wasnt able to see Sanguinetti play in person(I watched the games on TV) but Heikenen was very physical. I would say he was the most physical Ranger defender.

On Christensen, I really think I would rather have him out there than Voros. He can skate and actually has some offense to him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Girardi is also underrated for his physical play. I believe he was close to the top of the league in hits one season, they just arent the crowd pleasers that guys like Pronger throw.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

I don't think sending Valliquette down to Hartford was a message to the defense--I think it was a message to Valliquette. Torts lost confidence in him and wasn't comfortable playing him anymore.

And I think Heikkenen being called up has everything to do with the fact that Torts saw enough of Sangs and decided he wasn't what he needed right now, plus the fact that Keikkenen is a left-handed shot and fits more comfortably into what Torts is trying to do with the defense. Plus, Heikkenen is on a one year contract and the organization needs to see if he can make it in the NHL. I don't think the organization was looking to make a point about how much depth on defense it has in its system--they are looking to win hockey until Redden comes back.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:27 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I don't think sending Valliquette down to Hartford was a message to the defense--I think it was a message to Valliquette. Torts lost confidence in him and wasn't comfortable playing him anymore.

And I think Heikkenen being called up has everything to do with the fact that Torts saw enough of Sangs and decided he wasn't what he needed right now, plus the fact that Keikkenen is a left-handed shot and fits more comfortably into what Torts is trying to do with the defense. Plus, Heikkenen is on a one year contract and the organization needs to see if he can make it in the NHL. I don't think the organization was looking to make a point about how much depth on defense it has in its system--they are looking to win hockey until Redden comes back.
You don't think the defense thinks twice or feels any sort of guilt for being part of the problem?

Old
12-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
You don't think the defense thinks twice or feels any sort of guilt for being part of the problem?
But that wasn't the reason why Valliquette was sent to Hartford--he hasn't played well this season and now his coach doesn't want to play him anymore.

And while it may send a message to the defense, unless there is a trade, they are not going to lose their jobs on the blueline. Del Zotto and Gilroy have played well enough to stay in the lineup and it's very clear that the coaching staff is not comfortable with the idea of playing yet another rookie on defense. So, nothing is going to change there. If they feel guilty they can send Valliquette a fruit basket.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:21 AM
blueseater

[QUOTE=Brooklyn Ranger;22502774]But that wasn't the reason why Valliquette was sent to Hartford--he hasn't played well this season and now his coach doesn't want to play him anymore.

And while it may send a message to the defense, unless there is a trade, they are not going to lose their jobs on the blueline. Del Zotto and Gilroy have played well enough to stay in the lineup and it's very clear that the coaching staff is not comfortable with the idea of playing yet another rookie on defense. So, nothing is going to change there. If they feel guilty they can send Valliquette a fruit basket.[/QUOTe

I agree to a point about Sangs play not the best but I think it comes more down to if they keep him to long then they have to give him a big league contract just like what happened with MDZ.then they would have to keep him up

blueseater is offline   Reply With Quote