HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix

Old
12-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Actually, Scotty Bowman WAS a player in the minors, but he got hit in the head with a stick, fracturing his skull, thus ending his playing career.

OT, I know, but a little known fact that some might be interested in knowing.
I think he meant ex-nhlers

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you don't remember what was their payroll like before the actual CBA I guess...
And what bearing does that have on the franchise Detroit is today?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:19 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
And what bearing does that have on the franchise Detroit is today?
if by today you mean 09/10 season, they're on pace for around 90 pts, wich isnt enough to make the playoffs... and we havent seen a "gem" drafted by them in a little while, none that will replace the Lidstrom, Rafalski, Holmstrom when they'll retire...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
if by today you mean 09/10 season, they're on pace for around 90 pts, wich isnt enough to make the playoffs... and we havent seen a "gem" drafted by them in a little while, none that will replace the Lidstrom, Rafalski, Holmstrom when they'll retire...
Holland is probably already dreaming of pulling Markov in.

They have Krownwall though, but will that be enough? Big shoes to replace. But like Jersey, will the system prevail?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:30 PM
JrHockeyFan

Maguire as GM LOL

I actually switched from the English broadcast to RDS to get away from his endless drivel during the Leafs game.

Maguire has said everything at least once. How can anybody take that guy seriously?

Cherry was another talking head like maguire. For a guy who thinks he knows it all he did an absolutely horrible job running the Missy IceDogs despite years of top picks due to repeated failure. For some reason I think maguire would be worse

Heck Mark Hunter of the Knights would be miles better than Maguire

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 12-05-2009 at 08:38 PM.
JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Maguire as GM LOL

I actually switched from the English broadcast to RDS to get away from his endless drivel during the Leafs game.

Maguire has said everything at least once. How can anybody take that guy seriously?
Despite not speaking French (or does he, I can't remember), the hockey media in Montreal would love him.

I bet he'd invite many of them daily in his office at the BC (or Brossard) to have HUGE chitchats.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:45 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Despite not speaking French (or does he, I can't remember), the hockey media in Montreal would love him.

I bet he'd invite many of them daily in his office at the BC (or Brossard) to have HUGE chitchats.
Good point. He could tell them who his favourite "monstre" would be

Old
12-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shealy04 View Post
In regards to the OP's comment of "Pierre knows talent."

I have to respectfully disagree... Pierre thinks that Dion Phaneuf is a great hockey player.

False.
Pierre was ragging on him pretty hard at the beginning of the season, he didn't even put him on his Canadian Olympic team. He said Phaneuf was poor defensively and he would need to shape up to become the defenseman he needed to be. Phaneuf got better and Maguire put him back on his team.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:50 PM
HabuseMoi

So... GAiney Stepped down?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
So... GAiney Stepped down?
Actually he was on the ice last night. I expect to see him playing on the 4th line soon

Old
12-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:

If that was serious, you have to know that McGuire is enemy #1 amongst the french medias. If people think that the media hates Gainey, wait till McGuire gets the job.

They kept talking about how McGuire kept dissing Michel Therrien and they didn't like it. They'll surely be on his back the second they can.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I don't know whether you're doing this on purpose, or if you just haven't read what you're responding to.

The topic is Detroit's success over the last few years. In response to this, you have discussed: a) Detroit prior to the lockout; b) Detroit this season, neglecting their success over the last few years.

Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you actually have a point? If it's the latter, is your point that Detroit is not a successful franchise? If that's not your point, why are you arguing? Because you feel Detroit is built on free agents? Okay, then show me all the free agents that Detroit has signed that make up their core versus the total number of in-house developed/drafted players.

Old
12-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If that was serious, you have to know that McGuire is enemy #1 amongst the french medias. If people think that the media hates Gainey, wait till McGuire gets the job.

They kept talking about how McGuire kept dissing Michel Therrien and they didn't like it. They'll surely be on his back the second they can.
I don't remember the french media dissing Maguire, other than what happened with Lapierre. But let's face it Maguire wasn't very classy in his dissing of Therrien.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:19 AM
QuietReign

Bob Gainey has made some serious dumb moves in his life... but he is one of the best in the league and he is not going anywhere....

Pierre McGuire is not even close to being comparable to Gainey.... the ONLY position i would see him as a candidate for in montreal is if Trevor Timmins gets fired... for which i think they should consider McGuire....

IF Gainey gets sacked i think 1st Carbo or 2nd Roy (I actually see Roy as the next coach)

One last thing: When Pierre McGuire talks about trades he is talking straight out of his ass, its easier said then done... you think gainey wouldnt want to trade Halak for Barker straight up? you think Gainey didnt try to get top snipers to come? someone talked about how PM will make montreal look like philly.. well did BG not write a blank check to that little ***** Briere?

PM has no NHL experience as a player, coach or a GM... in conclusion when he disses GMs and trades he is talking ****. period.

QuietReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:35 AM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisconsult View Post
Bob Gainey has made some serious dumb moves in his life... but he is one of the best in the league and he is not going anywhere....

Pierre McGuire is not even close to being comparable to Gainey.... the ONLY position i would see him as a candidate for in montreal is if Trevor Timmins gets fired... for which i think they should consider McGuire....

IF Gainey gets sacked i think 1st Carbo or 2nd Roy (I actually see Roy as the next coach)

One last thing: When Pierre McGuire talks about trades he is talking straight out of his ass, its easier said then done... you think gainey wouldnt want to trade Halak for Barker straight up? you think Gainey didnt try to get top snipers to come? someone talked about how PM will make montreal look like philly.. well did BG not write a blank check to that little ***** Briere?

PM has no NHL experience as a player, coach or a GM... in conclusion when he disses GMs and trades he is talking ****. period.
Euhh... so he trades for a D when we need a big center to put on the 1st line?

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:

His french is pretty good actually

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:45 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Euhh... so he trades for a D when we need a big center to put on the 1st line?
We do?

Habs are deep at center, this is not our weakness this year.

A young left handed defensemen fits our organisation needs perfectly in a middle-long term perspective.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:48 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
J.Ericsson- 9th round, 291st overall
V.Flipulla- 3rd round, 95th overall
V.Leino- free agent from Europe
D. Helm- 5th round, 132nd
J.Hudler- 2nd round, 58th

ericsson is looking very much like a solid top 4 D-man, they drafted him in 2002 and have patiently brought him along.

Flipulla and Hudler (in KHL, but rights are still Detroits) have established themselves as very good top 6 forwards both with the potential of more

Leino and Helm are not yet established, but have shown potential to develop into solid contributor.

that's not a bad collection of youngish talent for a team that's been in the finals 3 times (winning twice) in the past 7 NHL seasons..

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:05 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
J.Ericsson- 9th round, 291st overall
V.Flipulla- 3rd round, 95th overall
V.Leino- free agent from Europe
D. Helm- 5th round, 132nd
J.Hudler- 2nd round, 58th

ericsson is looking very much like a solid top 4 D-man, they drafted him in 2002 and have patiently brought him along.

Flipulla and Hudler (in KHL, but rights are still Detroits) have established themselves as very good top 6 forwards both with the potential of more

Leino and Helm are not yet established, but have shown potential to develop into solid contributor.

that's not a bad collection of youngish talent for a team that's been in the finals 3 times (winning twice) in the past 7 NHL seasons..
Ah, I didn't want to indulge him. Especially when he had to reach and list Holmstrom as a player that might be hard to replace! I suppose he's never heard of Franzen, drafted in 2003--same year as our beloved Kostitsyn, and he's accomplished loads more. But I suppose Detroit's the one having troubles drafting. . .

Tatar - drafted this year, putting up close to a PPG pace in the AHL last I checked as an 18-year old.

Larsson - 3rd rounder in 2006, putting up good numbers in the AHL and has the talent to push beyond McCollum & Howard to be the starting netminder there.

Brendan Smith - exceptional defensive prospect tearing it up on McDonagh's team in the NCAA. Over a PPG as a defenseman. 21 points in 14 games. The next closest defenseman, McDonagh, has 9 points. Excellent skater. Best part about Smith? He's solid defensively, too.

Helm & Abdelkader, drafted in 2005, are taking over from Draper & Maltby without skipping a beat.

Kindl just played his first NHL game. He's coming along nicely as a stalwart defenseman and big body.

One guy I like, though Wings fans aren't too high on him, is Ritola. Good amount of talent and competitive. Not a core player, though, just a nice complementary/puck possession player.

The Wings get the most out of their prospects because of their superior development philosophy. I wouldn't be concerned about their prospect pool.

Old
12-06-2009, 03:16 AM
dre2112

uh huh, when will people realize that analyzing an event that has happened, such as a trade or a play on the ice, is not the same as organizing a team and managing it.

Another thing, just because the man knows a lot of people doesn't mean he's respected at all. Hell, even his peers on TSN crack jokes about him. Most hockey people in meaningful positions don't give this guy the time of day.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Most hockey people in meaningful positions don't give this guy the time of day.
A statement I'm sure you can substantiate, given your extensive contacts with team execs.

Old
12-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I'm not saying he'd be my choice, but I wouldn't hate it.

He would build a team that is hard-nosed and I want that. We've been a team too easily pushed around for far too long. While you might not agree with everything he says, the players he orgasms over are the hard workers and guys who never give up.

And a huge plus is that he knows junior players VERY well. He's not always right on his assessment, but in comparison with a lot of GMs, they don't spend a lot of time watching junior. And even if McGuire was an NHL GM, I still think he'd keep up with junior hockey to an extent.

Again, the guy loves grit and I love grit. I'd have no problem giving him a try.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:42 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Ah, I didn't want to indulge him. Especially when he had to reach and list Holmstrom as a player that might be hard to replace! I suppose he's never heard of Franzen, drafted in 2003--same year as our beloved Kostitsyn, and he's accomplished loads more. But I suppose Detroit's the one having troubles drafting. . .

Tatar - drafted this year, putting up close to a PPG pace in the AHL last I checked as an 18-year old.

Larsson - 3rd rounder in 2006, putting up good numbers in the AHL and has the talent to push beyond McCollum & Howard to be the starting netminder there.

Brendan Smith - exceptional defensive prospect tearing it up on McDonagh's team in the NCAA. Over a PPG as a defenseman. 21 points in 14 games. The next closest defenseman, McDonagh, has 9 points. Excellent skater. Best part about Smith? He's solid defensively, too.

Helm & Abdelkader, drafted in 2005, are taking over from Draper & Maltby without skipping a beat.

Kindl just played his first NHL game. He's coming along nicely as a stalwart defenseman and big body.

One guy I like, though Wings fans aren't too high on him, is Ritola. Good amount of talent and competitive. Not a core player, though, just a nice complementary/puck possession player.

The Wings get the most out of their prospects because of their superior development philosophy. I wouldn't be concerned about their prospect pool.
more like 2004, at 24 years old...

LOADS more ? really... you know Franzen will be 30 in about a month while Kostystin will be 25 right ?

Old
12-06-2009, 03:44 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Holland is probably already dreaming of pulling Markov in.

They have Krownwall though, but will that be enough? Big shoes to replace. But like Jersey, will the system prevail?
Big shoes havent been replaced in NJ, and the only success they have since is in regular season...

Old
12-06-2009, 04:00 AM
Komarov47

i'd rather see Roy as a GM than McGuire.

But i still hope one day that St. Pat will be behind the Habs bench

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote