HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Season 09/10

Old
11-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Sanderson

vCash: 500
What a gameday, 57 goals in just six games, 2x 12 goals, 1x 11, 1x 10, 1x 7 and 1x 5, plus quite a lot of penalties in the Düsseldorf-Krefeld game.

The league should be around 6.5 goals per game right now.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 04:18 AM
fuechsken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
What a gameday, 57 goals in just six games, 2x 12 goals, 1x 11, 1x 10, 1x 7 and 1x 5, plus quite a lot of penalties in the Düsseldorf-Krefeld game.

181 PM for fighting... this only happens in the DEL, where you get a game misconduct penalty as soon as you drop the gloves. I think they should relax a little bit more and let the tough guys do their work.

fuechsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Ciccarelli

Matias Loppi with 1+5, noone else in Freezers had more than 2 points.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuechsken View Post
181 PM for fighting... this only happens in the DEL, where you get a game misconduct penalty as soon as you drop the gloves. I think they should relax a little bit more and let the tough guys do their work.
Actually, the DEL is the most lenient league in Europe when it comes to fighting-rules

It was the first league to introduce the 2+2 and 2+2+10 respectively for fighting with/without gloves. Most other leagues still have an automatic 5+game. Some refs still hand out 5+20, and it's obviously a far cry from North America, but it's better than it has been before.

Hopefully that will give Loppi a boost. He has been better lately, but there is still room for improvement.
Hamburg played with only 11 forwards, one of them gets hardly any icetime, so there was a lot of line-mixing in this game.

Old
11-28-2009, 06:23 AM
zecke26

Quote:

you forgot pushing and shoving in the stands in frankfurt (vs kassel), police had to divide fighting fans in duesseldorf and flying shoes in wolfsburg by mannheim fans.

a very odd gameday!

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 04:39 PM
fuechsken

Quote:
Actually, the DEL is the most lenient league in Europe when it comes to fighting-rules

It was the first league to introduce the 2+2 and 2+2+10 respectively for fighting with/without gloves. Most other leagues still have an automatic 5+game. Some refs still hand out 5+20, and it's obviously a far cry from North America, but it's better than it has been before.

Hopefully that will give Loppi a boost. He has been better lately, but there is still room for improvement.
Hamburg played with only 11 forwards, one of them gets hardly any icetime, so there was a lot of line-mixing in this game.
It didn't mean to start a discussion about fighting penalties and refs in the DEL. Otherwise this could be a very long post. But it seems to me that we share the same opinion.

fuechsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The 8-4 win on the road was a real big one though. A game like that should always be a big confidence booster.

Even with some recent close losses, the team has been MUCH better the past ten games than at any time before.

Things seem to be coming together and the team seems to have found a groove, a style that suits them. This is surely in great part due to the coach taking a tough situation with a lot of bigger, slower players and creating a system that works for them and makes the most of their respective abilities.

Of course, having Barta back in the mix is huge.... dunno if there is any player in the DEL who truly means more to his team than Barta. Many have known this for several years now, but boy was that proven this season. Still, he's lost a step in the speed department, which is understandable.

I wonder what role he'll be playing in Krupp's plans?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Sanderson

Terrific, Meloche punches Karalahti in the neck, the ref doesn't see it. Karalahti turns and wipes the floor with Meloche, Meloche gets 2+2, Karalahti 5+game and thus an automatic one game suspension.

Of course it was a rather ugly beatdown, and it took only three punches, but that's no reason to give one player 5+gm and the other only 2+2.

As for the game itself, typically Hamburg. They have the chance to move up, have beaten some good teams lately, and then ruin everything by giving a half-assed effort against Straubing. That's a game you simply have to win, but no, why even show up. The only one who did put some effort into this game was Karalahti, with three big hits early on, before he was thrown out.

Old
12-05-2009, 04:43 AM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Terrific, Meloche punches Karalahti in the neck, the ref doesn't see it. Karalahti turns and wipes the floor with Meloche, Meloche gets 2+2, Karalahti 5+game and thus an automatic one game suspension.
Any vid link?

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Sanderson

Sadly no. There aren't any official videos from the game, and so far I haven't seen any other either.

Now this is funny, Kuhta gets 5 and game misconduct for tripping!
Not that I have seen any video of it, but judging from the live reports that penalty was a joke. Simple tripping, no injury, the opponent answers with a punch to the face, one gets 5+gm the other gets 2 minutes, right...

Old
12-06-2009, 09:39 AM
zecke26

Quote:
but judging from the live reports that penalty was a joke.
wouldn't be the first time that fans don't know the rules.

it's a bit hard to judge the refs by not even watching the game, don't you think?

Old
12-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
wouldn't be the first time that fans don't know the rules.

it's a bit hard to judge the refs by not even watching the game, don't you think?
I didn't mean fan reports...

Old
12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
zecke26

Quote:
I didn't mean fan reports...
what else would live report be? unless you mean journalists, but those sometimes know even less.

don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of the refs in german hockey, but i read so many complains about bad whistles and when i watch them on TV and read about the rules, the refs did the right thing.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:19 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

There's a DEL game on Eurosport today, Haie - Ingolstadt, starting 10 minutes from now.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
what else would live report be? unless you mean journalists, but those sometimes know even less.

don't get me wrong, i'm not a fan of the refs in german hockey, but i read so many complains about bad whistles and when i watch them on TV and read about the rules, the refs did the right thing.
Well, "live ticker" obviously. I wouldn't take the word of your regular newspaper, but there are people who report about the DEL who know their stuff.

Alex Barta signs a new three year deal with Hamburg. Hopefully the new management will finally get a team together that isn't looking horrible 2/3s of the year...

Old
12-19-2009, 05:21 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Scorps are on a roll right now, 8 wins in their last 9 games.
I might actually go and watch them play this season after all.

Old
12-21-2009, 12:02 PM
FAL

What's up with the good old Zambonis lately?

2 games called off after 2 periods within a week, somewhat strange...

FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 07:46 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Wow, first time I'm watching a DEL game on Sky this season, this commentator is unbearable.

Is every penalty the refs call justified for him?
I think if he was in charge he's call 20 5+ penalties a game.

What has become of German hockey if this is what people want to see?

Even the fans are calling for 2 minutes on every stupid fall und shove, it's unwatchable.

I hope our talented youngsters go the Canada for junior hockey so that they won't be exposed to this crap.

Old
12-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Sanderson

Who was the commentator, Jacques Schulz?

If yes, you can't really blame him, it's not his fault that he has to do play-by-play for a sport he isn't used to. He usually is Formula 1 commentator. I have no idea who at Sky thought that trying him at hockey would be a good idea. You have Hindelang and Leopold, they may sometimes be wrong, but at least they know hockey and have spend years around the game, so why use Schulz?

Old
12-27-2009, 09:48 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
Even the fans are calling for 2 minutes on every stupid fall und shove, it's unwatchable.
that's what the DEL made of hockey. tons of eventies who don't understand the game at all. i sometimes get the impression they want to make it like football on the ice. even the fanbases are changing with all the ultra/hooligan wannabe stuff.

the hockey i used to grow up with is almost dead. the DEL killed the german hockey culture.

and certainly the commentators don't make it any better with their semi-knowledge. i really wonder if people these days know what a clean hit is.

Old
12-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Burgs

That has nothing to do with the DEL, it's even worse in the minor leagues. You can't hit somebody without getting a penalty. And if the other guy doesn't jump right back up, you get a misconduct. Soccer mentality and German Regelungswut ruin all the fun.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

Disgusting.
Seriously, every normal contact behind the goals (that you see 100 times in a NHL game) the players and fans are looking for a call because they know the refs will give them what they want.

Don't even get me started on Bandenchecks...

Who decided that this is what the fans want to see?
Except for Berlin because of their new Arena attendances didn't increase in the last year, right?

This is definitly not the type of game I once fell in love with and I can't imagine that anyone I'd take to a game nowadays would.

The took hitting and emotions out of the game and rewarded actors and embellishment.

Old
12-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
that's what the DEL made of hockey. tons of eventies who don't understand the game at all.
I don't think the eventies are the ones to be blamed for yelling for calls. From my experience in Cologne over the past eight-ish years, it's more the regular fans that start yelling when another player even touches our guy. Sadly, the referees too often react to the noise the fans make.

Quote:
Disgusting.
Seriously, every normal contact behind the goals (that you see 100 times in a NHL game) the players and fans are looking for a call because they know the refs will give them what they want.
Very true. But honestly, I don't think it's any different than a couple of years ago. Not better, not worse.

Quote:
Don't even get me started on Bandenchecks...
If I am right assuming you mean that 80% + of these calls are bulls*** because the player on the boards almost always turns away from the other player knowing what he has coming, then yes, I absolutely agree. Just talked about that today once more after one of the penalties against Frankfurt.

Quote:
The took hitting and emotions out of the game and rewarded actors and embellishment.
I think the blame goes everywhere. I am all for zero tolerance like they call it in the NHL on hooking, holding and interference. Right now, there is just no need for an average player in the DEL to line up a good hit if you can just easily use your arms or stick to stop the other guy. But once we start actually calling players for every foul - as we should! - we have a game with a crapload of penalties and barely 5-5 play. But we should just let that happen, the players would (have to) learn after a couple of games. Then you would actually have to play the body again and the refs would see a couple more hits so they can eventually remember what good hits actually look like.

We certainly won't be able to change the average German fan that simply doesn't know hockey very well. Too many just don't realize it hurts to get a blow to the face with a stick and will therefore blindly assume the other guy is acting. We already had the stretcher out on the ice for an injured player this season and people (not all, but too many) still wouldn't stop booing and yelling at the injured player that was lying in his own blood. I never felt more disgusted by my own team's fans...

But onto more positive things: hockey is fun in Cologne again. If your looking to make a case for the potential benefit of a coaching change, look no further. The team was in ruins with Pavlov, who was as helpless as I have ever seen a coach towards the end. He's still a young coach and he can do his thing, but he couldn't adjust to the tools he had to work with. Those tools were never that bad as one can see now. The Jaspers-Ciernik-Müller line is unreal right now; especially Marcel Müller is playing out of his mind (four goals, eight points in his last two games... ) . I wonder what the limit for that guy is, I really could not tell right now. He's got all the tools.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2010, 04:14 AM
Beecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I don't think the eventies are the ones to be blamed for yelling for calls. From my experience in Cologne over the past eight-ish years, it's more the regular fans that start yelling when another player even touches our guy. Sadly, the referees too often react to the noise the fans make.

We certainly won't be able to change the average German fan that simply doesn't know hockey very well. Too many just don't realize it hurts to get a blow to the face with a stick and will therefore blindly assume the other guy is acting. We already had the stretcher out on the ice for an injured player this season and people (not all, but too many) still wouldn't stop booing and yelling at the injured player that was lying in his own blood. I never felt more disgusted by my own team's fans...
I think this is spot on. I do have a season ticket at the O2World right behind the goal. In the end the diehard fans will always be responsible for how much everyone is screaming for a penalty at any given contact. The "eventies" are there to be entertained, nothing more nothing less. I doubt that more than 10% of them actually make an effort to really understand the game. Everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon.

The thing is that the bandwagon is lead by the supporters who have been there for years and years and years. And to be honest the biggest shouts for penalties, however ridicolous are coming from exactly these people. They should know better, in fact they do know better. However they see the referees seemingly reacting to it and continue to so. The "eventies" see what the real supporters do and imitate them because they think that´s the way you do it.

So the real supporters should take notice and stop whining for calls. If they would do that they wouldn´t have to complain that much when they go away from home and see all these calls go against them. But since no one is taking notice and all the "eventies" coming in, more and more people forget what the game should be like, and think this is the way to do it. It´s the nature of the beast I guess, though.

Beecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Sanderson

Well, there goes even the theoretical chance of Hamburg reaching the playoffs down the drain...

Manning will miss the next two months and thus the rest of the regular season, while Kimmo Kuhta leaves the team and returns to Finland because of family issues.

The best defenseman and one of the best goalscorers, that's not something you can afford to lose if you are bad as it is.