HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire will be in the GM replacement mix

Old
12-06-2009, 04:16 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
i'd rather see Roy as a GM than McGuire.

But i still hope one day that St. Pat will be behind the Habs bench

I'm a huge St-Patty fan, yet I'm more excited to see Guy Boucher coming in some day. Then maybe later on, Roy.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm a huge St-Patty fan, yet I'm more excited to see Guy Boucher coming in some day. Then maybe later on, Roy.
I'd rather wait another year or two before expecting him to arrive in the big league. If Roy is one day the Hab's coach, you've got your star then !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
habs93

If Maguire was so in demand he would have had at least an asstitant GM job by now
after leaving Ottawa as a scout ? Talk is cheap. Last year at the beginning of The NHL season he said Luke Scheen should go back to junior & The Leafs kept him in The NHL and after that he agreed with The Leafs/Brian Burke (Burke gave him his only head coaching position in The NHL) so he does not diss The Leafs alot. Now this year he is back tracking with Scheen struggling abit saying Scheen should have been in junior. It all depends how the wind is blowing for a Maguire comment to change.......

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
BLONG7

Just say No to Mcguire....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

The intense fan/media heat in Montreal is enough to break a GM. I don't think many can imagine the tremendous psychological pressures.

This one of the toughest aspects, imo

Love him or Hate him, you have to give Bob Gainey respect for how unflinching he is.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:36 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
The intense fan/media heat in Montreal is enough to break a GM. I don't think many can imagine the tremendous psychological pressures.

Love him or Hate him, you have to give Bob Gainey respect for how unflinching he is.
That guy has been an iceberg his whole life it seems

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs93 View Post
If Maguire was so in demand he would have had at least an asstitant GM job by now
after leaving Ottawa as a scout ? Talk is cheap. Last year at the beginning of The NHL season he said Luke Scheen should go back to junior & The Leafs kept him in The NHL and after that he agreed with The Leafs/Brian Burke (Burke gave him his only head coaching position in The NHL) so he does not diss The Leafs alot. Now this year he is back tracking with Scheen struggling abit saying Scheen should have been in junior. It all depends how the wind is blowing for a Maguire comment to change.......
He's turned down some offers, probably wouldn't take the paycut. When Blackman and Melnick started this guy in media, they did his net worth a nice favor.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
shutehinside

I don't get how soo many posters want Roy or other past players as GM candidates with ZERO experience based on their performance as players. I'd be looking for established GMs with a track record of winning, drafting and deal making. The first French speaking candidate I would think would be a natural fit is Pierre Lacroix. I'd easily tale him over Roy or most other candidates without thinking and I still don't hold him in as high regard as I hold Gainey.

If we want to win, we can't take a chance and hope a rookie GM does well, we need a tested GM.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:34 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:

You're right on here - ice flows through BG's veins, and that's exactly what this team needs. Gainey isn't going anywhere, at least I sure hope he isn't. There are no candidates out there that I feel could do better, and I love knowing that Bob will do what he feels is needed regardless of fan and media scrutiny.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:37 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB11 View Post
You're right on here - ice flows through BG's veins, and that's exactly what this team needs. Gainey isn't going anywhere, at least I sure hope he isn't. There are no candidates out there that I feel could do better, and I love knowing that Bob will do what he feels is needed regardless of fan and media scrutiny.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
The intense fan/media heat in Montreal is enough to break a GM.
Not true. Especially not if you hire a french GM that will most definately have the favours of 99% of the french medias. They will give him all the space he needs to succeed. They kept bashing Gainey so much, that they'll put that GM on a pedestal everytime they can. From a bashing fest to a loving fest.

The fans? Well maybe that won't change. But I can assure you that the medias will not be a problem. Unless you beleive that Marinaro, Stock and McGuire will be just as bad as our french guys.

So I'll tell you that with a GM and a french head scout, team might not be better. But the point of the french medias pressure will not a factor anymore....at least for another term. You then might see some questions being asked, which at one point, is not what you can call pressure. But he'll be surfing A LOT on what they'll be calling "cleaning Gainey's mistakes".....

But if you think that the medias pressure is too much right now, I believe we have seen nothing yet. We still didn't have an official Gainey must go. Like we used to have in the past for other organizational members.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 12-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:13 PM
MM425

Would Pierre McGuire be a good GM for us?

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingKostitsyn View Post
We do?

Habs are deep at center, this is not our weakness this year.

A young left handed defensemen fits our organisation needs perfectly in a middle-long term perspective.
What I was trying to sayyy
Is that Carbo would get a player from a random position so that he can play in a random position. If he did it as a coach, he would do it as a GM.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I don't get how soo many posters want Roy or other past players as GM candidates with ZERO experience based on their performance as players. I'd be looking for established GMs with a track record of winning, drafting and deal making. The first French speaking candidate I would think would be a natural fit is Pierre Lacroix. I'd easily tale him over Roy or most other candidates without thinking and I still don't hold him in as high regard as I hold Gainey.

If we want to win, we can't take a chance and hope a rookie GM does well, we need a tested GM.
Lacroix is a pretty good idea. A winner and experienced. Unlike Gainey he'd not afraid to do the big deals. Maybe Roy could be the assisstant GM?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoGionta View Post
Lacroix is a pretty good idea. A winner and experienced. Unlike Gainey he'd not afraid to do the big deals. Maybe Roy could be the assisstant GM?
Gainey went after Gomez, but people criticize him because McDo went the other way around. Yes, I did say McDonagh, a young prospect at least 2years away from NHL and probably more if he keeps regressing.
Ya, Gomez has a bad contract, but we needed a center and a better one than Koivu.

Lacroix's last move was to acquire Theodore and his bad contract from us.

Seriously, it seems Gainey can't do anything good here. Whatever he does will always be criticized by some.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Difference is, Lacroix doesn't consider big deals aquiring overpaid marginaly skilled guys. Lacroix gets you a Ozolinch in his prime. A Patrick Roy. A Raymond Brourque.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote