HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers looking shake up the team

Old
12-06-2009, 11:12 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Just for the record, I don't think Rozsival is impossible to move.

For 4 years he was the nr 1 D by a pretty big margin for a PO bound team. He is due to make 7m over the coming two seasons.

Rozsival have never been popular in NY (BTW who is the last vet D to be popular in NY? Leetch?). There is 30 x 6 = 180 D's in this league. Rozi isn't a star, anymore... But believe me -- there is plenty of worse "bums" in this league. If we look at like the "bottom" 20 teams in this league I wonder if fans likes more the 30% of their D's on avg. On just about every team there is 2-4 D's who are "disliked".

For a team with a self imposed budget (cap) lower then the cap Rozi's 3.5m per for the coming 2 years isn't all that bad. I think he still have a pretty good rep in this league.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Oh, you would?

Don't think that's a bit much do you? You realize this is Pavol Demitra?
Not if you think Demitra is an important piece and you can move a salary that extends beyond this season.

12-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not if you think Demitra is an important piece and you can move a salary that extends beyond this season.
Sure, move the salary. But the B prospect and pick as well? Not sure Vancouver needs that to get it done. Also not sure Sather throws that much for a half-year "maybe" for Gaborik. Not like there's a cup coming to broadway in 2010.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Sure, move the salary. But the B prospect and pick as well? Not sure Vancouver needs that to get it done. Also not sure Sather throws that much for a half-year "maybe" for Gaborik. Not like there's a cup coming to broadway in 2010.
You wouldn't give up a B prospect, a pick (presumably no higher than a 4th) to get a player with an expiring contract (if you felt he could help) and move another contract?

He gave up a 2nd round pick for 25 games of Nik Antropov.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
You wouldn't give up a B prospect, a pick (presumably no higher than a 4th) to get a player with an expiring contract (if you felt he could help) and move another contract?
What contract are we talking about? If Vancouver is interested in Rozsival, say, they probably wouldn't want much else going along with that. Maybe a Byers, Sauer, or Potter. Depending on their depth. But a pick as well? Not sure I'd throw all that just to remove a contract, simply so Sather can go out and re-spend the money on another overachieving UFA.

Old
12-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Ola

I am not sold on Demitra. Is he a good fit with Gabby?

Who isn't a good fit with Gabby?

If we got Demitra, would Prospal be "freed" up for a 2nd line? I am not at all 100% sold on that Demitra could replace Vinny on the 1st line. I think people are underestimating Prospal's work with Gabby. Like Nylanders work with Jagr. It seems like Gabby is fantastic and Prospal and co is just hanging around for the ride and picking up free points, but IMO Prospal have been spectacular and a big reason for why Gabby is doing so well.

And Demitra is a sniper, not a playmaker. I do not think he in any way or form is a good fit with like Chris Drury...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:22 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
He's assuming he would play well with Gaborik.

If Demitra plays well with Gaborik, doesn't that imply there will be secondary scoring?
I'd say you can't have good secondary scoring on a one line team, which, IMO, we'd still have.

And let's just say that somehow Demitra fixes the offense. Are we gonna get any further than the second round of the playoffs? No Cup means a waste of assets and a worse draft pick.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Sather reeks of panic by the moves hes made and this article.

Maybe his job is on the line. Yeah... right.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I'd say you can't have good secondary scoring on a one line team, which, IMO, we'd still have.

And let's just say that somehow Demitra fixes the offense. Are we gonna get any further than the second round of the playoffs? No Cup means a waste of assets and a worse draft pick.
The contingency would be to move one of our bigger contracts, for an expiring one, to free up cap space. As I said above, I also don't believe Demitra adds anything to our team in terms of solid playoff play or the cup..

Old
12-06-2009, 11:26 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Sather reeks of panic by the moves hes made and this article.

Maybe his job is on the line. Yeah... right.
You almost had me going there, for a second.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:26 AM
SomE

Quote:

He gave up a 2nd round pick for 25 games of Nik Antropov.
Antropov was a good fit and doesn't suck. I'm afraid you haven't seen Demitra play for a few seasons. Am I right?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:28 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
You almost had me going there, for a second.

It felt good for a second there didnt it?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not interested.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Just for the record, I don't think Rozsival is impossible to move.

For 4 years he was the nr 1 D by a pretty big margin for a PO bound team. He is due to make 7m over the coming two seasons.

Rozsival have never been popular in NY (BTW who is the last vet D to be popular in NY? Leetch?). There is 30 x 6 = 180 D's in this league. Rozi isn't a star, anymore... But believe me -- there is plenty of worse "bums" in this league. If we look at like the "bottom" 20 teams in this league I wonder if fans likes more the 30% of their D's on avg. On just about every team there is 2-4 D's who are "disliked".

For a team with a self imposed budget (cap) lower then the cap Rozi's 3.5m per for the coming 2 years isn't all that bad. I think he still have a pretty good rep in this league.
Rozy's better than Montador, man talk about sucking, he was terrible last night

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am not sold on Demitra. Is he a good fit with Gabby?

Who isn't a good fit with Gabby?

If we got Demitra, would Prospal be "freed" up for a 2nd line? I am not at all 100% sold on that Demitra could replace Vinny on the 1st line. I think people are underestimating Prospal's work with Gabby. Like Nylanders work with Jagr. It seems like Gabby is fantastic and Prospal and co is just hanging around for the ride and picking up free points, but IMO Prospal have been spectacular and a big reason for why Gabby is doing so well.

And Demitra is a sniper, not a playmaker. I do not think he in any way or form is a good fit with like Chris Drury...
1. Demitra and Gaborik played for the Wild and (when they actually played) they were a great fit.
2. They're best buds. If the Sedins hadn't resigned, there is a very real possibility that Gaborik would be in Vancouver right now.
3. What on earth makes you think Demitra is a sniper? In the last two years he's had 35 goals and 72 assists in 137 games.

I'm not sure I want him to go because he is so versatile, and would make an amazing upgrade on Wellwood for the 3rd line centre (assuming Grabner doesn't come back cold)

jimmythescot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
eco's bones

Rozsival was a No 1 d-man by default. He's lost that role to a 19 year old. Even so--his ceiling was 40 points which is okay but hardly spectacular especially considering all the pwp time he had when Jagr was here.

Personally I'd steer clear of Dimitra. A player out there who might be available--maybe not this year though who is much more interesting--Filatov who is playing in Russian right now and apparently not happy with the Blue Jackets--particularly Hitchcock. I'm not sure what it would take to get him but he has the abilitiy to be an elite player someday.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

I would like Sather to stay away from washed up, often injured 30 somthing year olds. I would like to ride this season out & go with what we got in the kids, try to sell off some dead weight by the trading deadline & off season. Than see what's out there via trade or Free Agency in June/July that will actually fit with the team & that's not throwing money at a player for the sake of throwing money at them.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Nick00

Yes! Another old and washed up forward.
Exactly what this team needs.
He can be this year's Naslund.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:58 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Pretty much.

This team is beyond 1 or 2 holes. We're missing half a ship.

I say ride out the season, sell a couple guys at the deadline, and re-tool in the offseason.
It's funny, because if you give us 1 or 2 good forwards that can make plays happen and play a good defensive game, I think our record is drastically better and hence the attitude towards this team is way better.

I don't think it's all about Dubinsky, but I don't think it's a coincidence we were playing so much better with him in the lineup.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Ugh, pass. That experiment failed in Minnesota.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I'm glad some people here are ready to throw in the towel on the season.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
You kind of contradict yourself here.
What I'm thinking is Demitra serves the same purpose of Prospal, or really anyone else you put on Gabbys line. I know they are friends and would likely play ok together but Gabbys line is not the problem. Whoever his linemates are will be ok.

Rangers need ANOTHER line and I dont think Demitra is the answer. I'm not sure putting Vinny back on a 2nd line with whoever is the answer either.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Rozsival was a No 1 d-man by default.
Scarey but true. Remember when Rosi and Malik we're a top pair when they were always on the ice with

Straka - Nylander - Jagr

Malik even topped out the +/- that one year....

Top minutes and barely touched the puck.

padded stats

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Cermi

Quote:
Oh, you would?

Don't think that's a bit much do you? You realize this is Pavol Demitra?
If we're moving Rozsival I'm all for it. Just getting rid of Rozsival and his cap hit for another full two years is worth it.
Of course, the prospect cannot be Grachev/Stepan/Kreider/Werek/McDonagh...

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I wouldn't give up anything for Demitra.. Unless it was one of our three-headed cap-monsters.

Vancouver has about 2M in cap space. I could picture Sather doing something stupid, like trading Girardi+Higgins for Demitra+3rd.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote