HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#26: Capitals at Flyers - December 5, 2009 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2009, 01:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, the next time each of you is in a fight, I hope you stick your chin out and wait to get punched before you decide it's go time. This view completely ignores the reality of what is going on when you're engaging in fisticuffs.

And, look, I'm not a fan of fighting and would have no problem if they outlawed it from the NHL. But as long as it's in there, and you're out there against a guy like Carcillo and you're dropping your gloves...you better be ready, rather than friggin leaving your head exposed. If you don't think they both knew what was up when Carcillo threw that punch, you're deluding yourself. You don't need to stand in a defenseless position to get your gloves off, which is what Bradley did. And you don't need to wait around for the other guy to hit you first.

The 9-minute PP was egregious. Bradley wasn't an innocent bystander, he was an idiot. And he admitted as much.
It's not like Bradley was standing there waiting to be punched. He didn't cower, he didn't turtle. He was trying to at least put himself in a position for it to be a fair fight - just like smart, respectful NHL-caliber players do it. He was willing to fight as long as he was able to throw. Carcillo cold-cocked him and left it in the hands of the referees to decide his and Bradley's intentions. Right or wrong on the penalties, that was his decision to go about it the way he did, and it can't happen. And I am always in thread lauding referees for giving out extra penalties for fights after clean hits. If he would have done it properly, the Flyers would have to only kill off a 2-minute power play, and not a 9-minute power play.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The quotes from Pronger yesterday regarding Stevens sure made it seem like Pronger thought the wrong guy got sent packing.

I fear this may be a case of the old veteran who had to work for what he got being disdainful of the young whippersnappers who have their big dollars without really having accomplished anything.
I don't agree. Every time a coach is fired the players say it was their fault. Doesn't matter if it's hockey or any other sport, and it doesn't mean they mean it.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The quotes from Pronger yesterday regarding Stevens sure made it seem like Pronger thought the wrong guy got sent packing.
If that's his view, then good bye. Pronger then isn't part of the solution.

Keep in mind that it took until Pronger had Scott Niedermayer to lean on to win a Stanley Cup for himself. He never did it when he was the guy they were all looking to, like in Edmonton (and came off as a complete d-bag when he signed a big contract and demanded a trade, such as Dany Heatley, so I wouldn't put it past him to do the same thing again). And they were all behind a coach who outlasted Stevens as a coach in this league. He, in part, was part of the problem here. Every player was. And it's up to the players to decide if they're part of the solution.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

DNFlyers

Dan Carcillo was suspended for four games today by the NHL.

Carcillo suspended 4 games. 4. Obviously, clear what the league thinks.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not like Bradley was standing there waiting to be punched. He didn't cower, he didn't turtle. He was trying to at least put himself in a position for it to be a fair fight - just like smart, respectful NHL-caliber players do it. He was willing to fight as long as he was able to throw.
Then shake your gloves off as you're bringing your hands up. They were looking right at each other, it isn't like Bradley didn't know what was going on.

Which is why he accepted blame for what happened. The supposed victim in your narrative has said himself that it as partially his own fault.

Quote:
Carcillo cold-cocked him and left it in the hands of the referees to decide his and Bradley's intentions. Right or wrong on the penalties, that was his decision to go about it the way he did, and it can't happen. And I am always in thread lauding referees for giving out extra penalties for fights after clean hits. If he would have done it properly, the Flyers would have to only kill off a 2-minute power play, and not a 9-minute power play.
Carcillo did not cold **** him.

This is a cold-cocking:

Carcillo threw the first and only punch. Bradley was looking right at him, and as he states himself, knew what was going on. Was the whole situation stupid? Absolutely, but the call the ref made, and now the suspension is the predictable stupidity that surrounds Carcillo (and why I don't like having him on the team). Doesn't mean it was the correct call, or that what he did was some egregious thing.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
DNFlyers

Dan Carcillo was suspended for four games today by the NHL.

Carcillo suspended 4 games. 4. Obviously, clear what the league thinks.
...yes, because the suspension policies of the NHL are the epitome of clarity.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...yes, because the suspension policies of the NHL are the epitome of clarity.
Not when they're 4 games. When they're 2, it's kind of "well, we don't know what to do, but people seem to think he should be suspended."

4 is a clear message.

Anyways, we have to continue this in the new thread because we're over the limit. I don't think we're changing each other's minds though.

Closed Thread