HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Richie no longer captain?!?!

Old
12-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Richards is captain. Just saw his jersey with a big fat "C" on it. Phew...
Note to self, DrinkFightFlyers just looked at Richards' big fat C...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:39 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:34 PM
IrishSniper87

Via John Boruk's twitter

Quote:
I give Mike Richards credit. He pulled Danny Carcillo aside and essentially said "Man up and talk to the media", and Carcillo did.
Richards and Prongers interviews show you who the leaders are.

Pronger get a permanent "A" in my book. Richards stays as Captain and leads this team through this tough time.

Old
12-05-2009, 09:42 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Yahoo is telling me Richards isnt captain, but he is right?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Yahoo is telling me Richards isnt captain, but he is right?
Still has the C on his sweater

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Via John Boruk's twitter

Richards and Prongers interviews show you who the leaders are.

Pronger get a permanent "A" in my book. Richards stays as Captain and leads this team through this tough time.
Richards looked so painfully uncomfortable in his interview. It reminded me of his infamous interview last year where he sounded like he was going to cry. These losses are obviously weighing on him heavily.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Richards looked so painfully uncomfortable in his interview. It reminded me of his infamous interview last year where he sounded like he was going to cry. These losses are obviously weighing on him heavily.
The interview after last night's game, or a different one? Because sounds like things have already changed in his mind:

Quote:
Team captain Mike Richards, in one of his strongest postgame stances since hes worn the C, made it clear he had addressed Carcillo about it.

I think he knows, in the heat of the game, sometimes emotions take over a bit, Richards said. I think he is well aware he made a mistake. I think he learned from it. I just talked to him, seen him, and he learned from it. I dont think well see that anymore.

What about accountability, in general?

Im not a coach. All I can do is hold people accountable in here, Richards said. I just dont think its going to be a problem anymore.

Incredibly, Richards said he was not given an explanation by Stephane Auger, who made the nine-minute call or the other referee, Dennis LaRue, about why the Caps got off free.

The one [official] would not even talk to me and other one was pretty short and wouldnt let me say much, Richards said. I feel Im the captain of the hockey team, I just got put down nine minutes, youd think that Id get a pretty serious explanation or maybe even get a word in there.

But it is what it is, we didnt kill it off and it killed us.

Richards said the team should have responded better facing the nine-minute penalty kill instead of giving up three goals, although goalie Ray Emery was awful in net.

Ill hold the team accountable for that and I should have responded better, Richards said. Now is the time to work on things, improve and get ready for [Montreal]. It has to get better and it will get better.

Im confident in the people we have in this dressing room and Im confident in the leadership I have to improve the team. Were at a dead end right now and Im ready to lead the team forward.

Its the kind of words people have been waiting to hear from Richards for a while now. And the timing could not have been better.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
The interview after last night's game, or a different one? Because sounds like things have already changed in his mind:
Yes, it was that one. I definitely have noticed he is being more accountable in his answers recently, but he looked awkward and sounded like his voice was breaking when speaking. I'm not saying that as a criticism, but it flashed me back to the interview during the losing streak at the beginning of last season where he seemed so uncomfortable and sounded like he was going to cry.

Old
12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Yes, it was that one. I definitely have noticed he is being more accountable in his answers recently, but he looked awkward and sounded like his voice was breaking when speaking. I'm not saying that as a criticism, but it flashed me back to the interview during the losing streak at the beginning of last season where he seemed so uncomfortable and sounded like he was going to cry.
I'm not surprised he was that upset. His team was just embarrassed in front of their home crowd and in front of a new coach. Regardless of what he says to the media, he puts every loss on his shoulders. It's just the player that he is.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I'm not surprised he was that upset. His team was just embarrassed in front of their home crowd and in front of a new coach. Regardless of what he says to the media, he puts every loss on his shoulders. It's just the player that he is.
Sometimes I wonder if he places a little too much pressure on himself.

After observing Richards, Hartnell, and Carter last night I have to say I don't think they are the spoiled, uncaring, kids who only care about living it up that some fans have made them out to be (myself included). You could see they were all clearly frustrated and beaten down with the way things are going. They definitely do care. They just need some major confidence right now.

Old
12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder if he places a little too much pressure on himself.

After observing Richards, Hartnell, and Carter last night I have to say I don't think they are the spoiled, uncaring, kids who only care about living it up that some fans have made them out to be (myself included). You could see they were all clearly frustrated and beaten down with the way things are going. They definitely do care. They just need some major confidence right now.
I hope that's the case. The first 10 minutes of the game, we saw energy, spark, checking. All the things we've been waiting and wanting to see out of this team. They didn't collapse when the Caps scored first. But Carcillo's ******** definitely took the wind out of their sails, and having to use all their energy to try to kill off a solid 9 minutes of PP time didn't help.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I guess it's nice that Richards is finally starting to say some of the stuff he should be saying...however, unfortunately it's still the same painful experience watching him with the media. He just looks so damn uncomfortable...you just get the sense that he so desperately doesn't want to be there talking to them. And that's fine, that seems to be his personality, and who he is....but don't be the ****ing captain then!

Dealing with the media is one of the most important duties of an NHL captain if you ask me. Other guys can contribute to the leadership of the team off-camera...but when the cameras are on and the press is asking the tough questions...you need your captain to comfortably and willingly be a figurehead, and step up and be a strong voice(like Pronger has been doing since he got here), know what to say, know how to take pressure off the team, or even put pressure on if necessary.

I don't think Richards ever really wanted the C. All his comments about not wanting it or being ready when he was asked about taking it over from Smith....sure, he was being respectful of Smith, but still, his comments were way more suggestive than they had to be that he didn't want the job. And the entire time he's had the C, his actions have never managed to extinguish my nagging feeling that he doesn't even truly want it. But, it's not like he could've felt there was an easy way to turn it down, and it's not like he can now feel that there would be an easy way to admit that someone else is a better fit for the job. Which is why, unfortunately, I don't expect to see the change I'd like to see.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
I hope that's the case. The first 10 minutes of the game, we saw energy, spark, checking. All the things we've been waiting and wanting to see out of this team. They didn't collapse when the Caps scored first. But Carcillo's ******** definitely took the wind out of their sails, and having to use all their energy to try to kill off a solid 9 minutes of PP time didn't help.
I think the team's confidence is so fragile now because things have been going horribly wrong for them and no one had been able to provide them with answers when Stevens was around. Laviolette sees the issues and has a plan to implement which will give them something tangible to grasp onto. Carcillo ****ed them over last night when they should have had a clean slate. Instead it was "here we go again, what else could go wrong?" Laviolette needs to help put that behind them. They'll be fine if they can come out strong vs the Habs and create their own breaks. That will be a big boost.

Old
12-06-2009, 01:15 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Homer has stated that Richards is the franchise player on this team, and that he is the Captain.

I fully agree Pronger should be a permanent A though. I'd rotate the other between Carter and Kimmo.
No ****ing Way. **** him. He is NO leader, I'd vote for gags and kimmo before Carter as any kind of captain.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:32 PM
CptCannon

Richie C
Pronger A
Lappy A

Go!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 02:04 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles View Post
Richie C
Pronger A
Lappy A

Go!
Agree

Old
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Lappy C
Lappy A
Lappy A

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 04:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
No ****ing Way. **** him. He is NO leader, I'd vote for gags and kimmo before Carter as any kind of captain.
How do you know if Carter is respected or not in the locker room?

Coming from the guy with the Carcillo avy ...

Get rid of the junk on this team, Cote, Carcillo, and bring up guys looking to make a name for themselves Maroon, Matsumoto, Laliberte.

Old
12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
WOW that was a nice burn. It was so nice i'm sure drinkfightflyers can appreciate it LOL

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
How do you know if Carter is respected or not in the locker room?

Coming from the guy with the Carcillo avy ...

Get rid of the junk on this team, Cote, Carcillo, and bring up guys looking to make a name for themselves Maroon, Matsumoto, Laliberte.
Jeff Carter is not a guy I want leading this team right now. Give the A to Lappy, Timonen, w/e just not Carter. Carter needs to wake the **** up.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Jeff Carter is not a guy I want leading this team right now. Give the A to Lappy, Timonen, w/e just not Carter. Carter needs to wake the **** up.
I agree Carter has been bad lately. I have no problem with Kimmo and Lappy taking the 3rd A.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:52 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
I agree Carter has been bad lately. I have no problem with Kimmo and Lappy taking the 3rd A.
I think its important to kinda break up the "frat" group and integrate the vetren players into the leadership of the team.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I think its important to kinda break up the "frat" group and integrate the vetren players into the leadership of the team.
Lappy works for me.

C Richards
A Pronger
A Lappy/Timonen

Old
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
"Frat" guys with letters: Richards, Carter
Vets with letters: Timonen, Pronger, Gagne, Briere

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
IrishSniper87

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=35835

Coach Laviolette on Richards and the Captaincy - courtesy of the Flyers official blog

Quote:
With lots of false, unsubstantiated rumors swirling earlier over the weekend about the team captaincy, Laviolette was asked to explain his early impressions of Mike Richards.

“From what I’ve seen, he’s a really good leader. He’s a fierce competitor, and he’s a young kid. Like a young coach, or a young leader, or a young hockey player, I think you always learn. But, he certainly displays the qualities and the characteristics that you would want to see in a captain.

“When it comes to leadership, I think there’s always people who exemplify that in a room as well, and we’re fortunate that we have other guys that can contribute too, but based on my early observations, Mike Richards is the leader of this team. He’s exemplifies what you would want in a captain.”