HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Claude Lemieux thinks Cammalleri should wear the C (Official Captain Thread)

View Poll Results: Captain?
Gionta: Tiny but Mighty 25 13.09%
Cammalleri: Leader by example, and off the ice 134 70.16%
Markov: The Silent Leader 23 12.04%
Gomez: The Most Expensive Mexican, with a notorious rep for Shanking Team members 0 0%
Ryan O'Byrne: Showed alot of class last night, reminded me abit of Koivu. 4 2.09%
Josh Gorges: Charismatic Leader 4 2.09%
Maxim Lapierre: Billingual fan favorite whom plays an intense game at times 1 0.52%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
The poll has spoken. Now let it be.
You mean A Poll has spoken.

Last poll spoke Gionta's name.

In a couple weeks Gomez or someone else will have a decent game or 2 and they will win a new poll.

And does it really matter. The locker room will decide the issue.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somebody nailed it before. Clearly it's only between Gio, Cammy and Markov. Those 3 are getting a letter. Honestly, I really believed that what Markov said when he was asked about the captaincy really meant that he was not looking for it. Wouldn't probably refuse it if he was asked to do it, but I wouldn't impose it to him. Cammy and Gio seems more likely to become the C. And honestly, I really believed they would have announced it last night.

What strikes me about Cammy is that he doesn't give you the most obvious responses to the medias whenever things are not going right. The guy just says it like it is. I love it. To me that's real leadership. Enough of those prepared responses. And the "we didn't give our 100%".

My choice is Cammy. More outspoken than Gio or Marky. In Montreal, that's captain material right there.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:41 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Markov is our best player
He goes down we're happy to go .500
Cammy goes down, can we say the same?

Markov for captain if he wants it, if not, i'm fine with cammy
This is not Atome or Novice.
best player doesnt mean captain

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If I could add a dark horse to the captaincy debate, it would be Josh Gorges.

By all reports, Josh is highly respected by his peers. Even tko touched on the fact that he believes Josh should be the next captain of the team. Anyone who watches the habs regularly would probably agree that he's a leader on the ice as well.

While I think the captaincy is still between gionta and cammalleri, gorges would be my 3rd option.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

the tipping point is that Cammy is the one who was most outspoken about wanting to be captain... He wants it, he is a perfect example for his teamates to follow. All that would remain to know is how he acts in the lockeroom... the ol' male alpha dominance/leadership, does he have it with his teamates? Makes me wonder why the Habs haven't already made him captain. Is it out of necessity, seeing who will rise up the most in the lockeroom? Or is that Cammalleri doesn't show this in the lockeroom? Anyway, maybe the next few days and weeks will tell.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
the tipping point is that Cammy is the one who was most outspoken about wanting to be captain... He wants it, he is a perfect example for his teamates to follow. All that would remain to know is how he acts in the lockeroom... the ol' male alpha dominance/leadership, does he have it with his teamates? Makes me wonder why the Habs haven't already made him captain. Is it out of necessity, seeing who will rise up the most in the lockeroom? Or is that Cammalleri doesn't show this in the lockeroom? Anyway, maybe the next few days and weeks will tell.
I've assumed Gionta all along, but Cammalleri impresses me. I heard an audio from Habs IO, I think with Cammy and a girl from 990. They were just having an innocent conversation about being Van Morrison fans. No guile, just talking about his preferred album, what concerts they'd seen, he came off as very genuine.

Whether that translates to being a guy whose example is appreciated by his teammates, hard to say. I think the guy loves the game, everything about it, history, the whole works.

Like Whitesnake was saying, 3 guys wear letters, and I'm starting to think Serge Svard is right, let the player's choose. Cammy, being younger can grow into the job, but otoh, ZGionta has the same qualifacations, he's just injured, and out of sight.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've assumed Gionta all along, but Cammalleri impresses me. I heard an audio from Habs IO, I think with Cammy and a girl from 990. They were just having an innocent conversation about being Van Morrison fans. No guile, just talking about his preferred album, what concerts they'd seen, he came off as very genuine.

Whether that translates to being a guy whose example is appreciated by his teammates, hard to say. I think the guy loves the game, everything about it, history, the whole works.

Like Whitesnake was saying, 3 guys wear letters, and I'm starting to think Serge Svard is right, let the player's choose. Cammy, being younger can grow into the job, but otoh, ZGionta has the same qualifacations, he's just injured, and out of sight.
Jeez, am I extremely late on internet lingo or is it just you?

Anyway, I just wish the Habs could finally chose someone or let the players do it... but for the love of god, just do it, name someone.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:16 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Jeez, am I extremely late on internet lingo or is it just you?

Anyway, I just wish the Habs could finally chose someone or let the players do it... but for the love of god, just do it, name someone.
damn black keyboards, if I don't have a light on, I make typos en masse.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Markov is our best player
He goes down we're happy to go .500
Cammy goes down, can we say the same?

Markov for captain if he wants it, if not, i'm fine with cammy
Being Captain has nothing to do with being best player. If it would have been the case, Lafleur would have been Captain. It's about drive and leadership. And if the guy has talent it's an added bonus.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:01 PM
madbox

Out of sight, out of mind? I still like Gionta for Captain, Cammalleri and Markov with the A's.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
damn black keyboards, if I don't have a light on, I make typos en masse.
Don't discriminate man, it's not cool..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
TankEller*

I love Gionta, but he just doesn't have the same charism as Cammalleri. Cammy is definately genuinely impressed by the tradition and I think Lemieux's right when he says that "He gets it".

Plus, from what I heard, and that's not taking anything away from Gionta, but Brian's decision to sign with us was more a contract decision. Cammalleri admitted he had 3 or 4 very similar offers money-wise, and chose the Canadiens, partly because of our great tradition. The way he was amazed when he saw his name under Beliveau's picture in the locker room when he came for the first time this summer, the way he was amazed and emotive when the crowd cheered him yesterday, the way he took the time to meet every single legend, the way he called Gainey "Mr. Gainey" in interviews this summer... This guy just gets it. No matter how good a player he is, he's proud to be a bleu-blanc-rouge player, he bleeds bleu-blanc-rouge, and I think he's the best choice.

Gionta's still a leader, but from what I saw, Cammalleri's a better choice. Plus, apparently Gionta's a rather silent guy in the locker room (I remember Martin mentionning it when he referred to him as a silent leader).

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

From the first few times I hear Cammy speak, I knew he was special leadership material

I liked his insight a few weeks back after a tough loss...

"this is the NHL and we're pros... we have to be creative and make plays and make things happen out there..."

(an approximate quote)

So refreshing an answer instead of the usual

"we have have to try harder" routine

Born in 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Laos

I'd choose Gorges but Cammy isnt too far behind

Laos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 10:38 PM
tigerman111

the C would really help obyrne's confidence.

tigerman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:30 PM
TankEller*

What is it with everyone picking Gorges? Wasn't he supposed to be one of those on the big party last year?

I could see Gorges get a letter at some point, but he still hasn't enough "weight" to be a captain of an NHL team IMO.

Cammalleri, Gionta, Markov, Hamrlik, these are the 4 I'd like to see with a "C".

Cammalleri's my first choice obviously, I'd love Markov as well but we all know he's not really interested.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:56 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

Gionta: Gives the example only on the ice. Not sure a teammate could call him at anytime for help.
Markov: Doesn't have the language of a leader and would rather not have the position.
Gomez: Doesn't look interested in leadership positions, whichever they might be.
Ryan O'Byrne: Not enough experience in a leadership position and in the league.
Josh Gorges: Not enough experience in the league and isn't exactly a model on the ice, even though he does the job pretty well.
Maxim Lapierre: Isn't a leader on the ice, isn't a model on the ice and doesn't have enough experience in a leadership position and in the league.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Max Levine

The most important factor for a Cammalleri's nomination is how much he wants to be part of the whole aspect of playing in Montreal. While so many in the past have shown disgust towards fans and the media, Cammy, who seems to be always designated to answer the media's questions after games, is longing love and attention.

Seeing his reactions when the Als were getting an ovation last week before the game, his demeanor when he's received the same treatment after his hat trick, no doubt he wants to be part of what Montreal fans make of their idols.

He doesn't seem to fear fans negative reactions, takes responsibility for his and his teammates actions. Add his showing up in the dressing room to shake all those legends hands, you know that is where he belongs. A future Montreal Canadiens legend.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:11 PM
TheCH*

Markov gets the C(unless he doesn't want it).

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote