HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

From best to worst of the 3: Roy-Broduer-Hasek!

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2004, 07:32 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
I'd say Roy, Brodeur, Hasek

Hasek did not stay at the top as long as Roy, and Marty have.

Roy didn't always play in the defensive era.... in the mid 80 to the early 90's, you were considered a great goalie if your GAA was under 3.00 Roy pretty much stole 2 stanley cups on his own and won another two later on.

Marty is marty..... and his legend will still continue to grow and maybe one day pass Patrick.
Agree 100%... Roy, Brodeur, Hasek.

And I'm still bitter of Roy stealing the cup from the Kings

Old
12-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Dantonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
As far as Roy being more rested than Brodeur and Hasek, yes, as far as regular season games but Roy played in the western finals 4 years in a row, and in 2002 21 games compared to hasek's 17 or 18 games. To me that is one of his best accomplishments, consistency is Roy's trademark and that which sets him apart from the rest, he had 1 bad year in an 18 year career and that was the only year he missed the playoffs.

in 2001 finals roy had a shutout in game 1 and was very strong until the puck gaffe and the following game.
You raise valid points. I nearly forgot that Game 1 was 5-0. There was no excuse for how Marty and the Devils blew that series, but I was particularly referring to how they won the year before and that I thought Ray was the player who pushed the Avalanche to the top. Roy and the Avs were pretty fatigued and banged up themselves in the 2002 WCF (while Hasek was more rested although spectacular), which was evidenced in Games 6 and 7.

Oh, and I'd say Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek for the order. Roy is still the most accomplished and admired, with Brodeur chasing many of his records and his legacy. Hasek was the most dominant of the three at his best but I would have liked to see him play "at his best" for longer. Still, he might surprise some if the NHL returns in time.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
Jim Carrey has 2 vezinas

and belfour has what, none, so that arguement isn't everything.
Carey won one Vezina trophy and Belfour has 2 Vezina's/

Old
12-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Zetterberg4Captain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
IMO here are the top 5 best goalies ever in their time. (Dont care what era they played in and if they would be good today because who's to say todays goalies would be good with the old equipment that goalies had years ago, whereas now goalie's wear pads two times wider and half a heavy.)

1- Roy

2- Hasek

3- Sawchuk

4- Plante

5- Tretiak

Other great goalies have come and gone like Grant Fuhr, Billy Smith, Ken Dryden and Mike Richter.
There is no way Hasek is ahead of Sawchuk. in Without Fear here are the top 5 goalies:
1. Patrick Roy
2. Terry Sawchuk
3. Glenn Hall
4. Jacques Plante
5. Dominik Hasek

Old
12-19-2004, 03:02 PM
No Quarter

I'd say:

Roy
Hasek

Broduer

Old
12-19-2004, 03:36 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Carey won one Vezina trophy and Belfour has 2 Vezina's/
woops my bad, i forgot about his hawks days, but he never won with the stars even though he put up great numbers,

i thought carrey won 2, must of confused his vezina and calder(he did win the calder right?)

Old
12-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Russian_fanatic

Roy-Hasek-Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
Jim Carrey has 2 vezinas

and belfour has what, none, so that arguement isn't everything.
:lol You must feel smart

Old
12-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Roy
Brodeur
Hasek

and all time
1.Roy
2.Sawchuck
3.Plante
4.Hall
5.Dryden
6.Esposito
7.Hasek
8.Vezina
9.Brodeur
10.Fuhr

Old
12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
hasek put together the greatest 5-year by a goalie EVER, but in the long-term, over a career he ranks 3rd IMO,
- his 6 Vezinas were earned over 8 years and his first year in Detroit was good.

Quote:
the devils from 94-99 were no better than the sabres from 94-99

and for that matter the habs were no dynasty or powerhouse from 90-95 either.
- Both lies.
Hasek lost Mogilny, Hawerchuk and Lafontaine (to injury) almost as soon as he started with Buffalo. They were replaced with Peca and a bunch of minor leaguers (like Plante and Holzinger). Buffalo has built defense corps out of journeymen & rookies, no Bourque, Blake, Robinson, Chelios, Stevens, Niedermayer & all of the Selke winners and finalists who've played for New Jersey and Montreal.

The 1993 Habs finished 6th overall in the league, despite Patrick Roy tanking the season. Had he of even been average, they probably would have finished 3rd.

Quote:
it's easier to win the vezina when you play for a weaker team,
- no it isn't.

Quote:
when roy was winning the vezina the habs were not a top 5 team.
- What the hell are you talking about? Please go to hockeydb.com and look these things up.

Old
12-19-2004, 05:00 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhdhdy
There is no way Hasek is ahead of Sawchuk. in Without Fear here are the top 5 goalies:
Who knows? Hasek played in a competitive league and Sawchuk didn't. How would we measure?

Old
12-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Dantonius

I laugh at the people who somehow think Roy and Hasek are on an entirely 'different level' than Brodeur and/or that they were that much more valuable to their respective teams. People either conveniently forget or choose to ignore that the Devils voted Brodeur as their MVP seven (or was it eight?) years in a row prior to the past season. I'm not sure why...

Old
12-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantonius
I laugh at the people who somehow think Roy and Hasek are on an entirely 'different level' than Brodeur and/or that they were that much more valuable to their respective teams. People either conveniently forget or choose to ignore that the Devils voted Brodeur as their MVP seven (or was it eight?) years in a row prior to the past season. I'm not sure why...
Which is clearly a joke....Stevens is by far more important then Brodeur. I don't care what experts say. Stevens is the hear and soul of the Devils....you seen last year what happens without Stevens.

Old
12-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Dantonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Which is clearly a joke....Stevens is by far more important then Brodeur. I don't care what experts say. Stevens is the hear and soul of the Devils....you seen last year what happens without Stevens.
By experts, you meant the Devils players, right? Jason, the Devils were a solid team before Brodeur came yet they blossomed into an elite, (usually) perennial Cup-contending team upon his arrival.

Last season, the Devils were going downhill before Stevens was injured and then their problems were compounded (naturally; is a team supposed to get better?). Don't forget that no line was consistently scoring besides their first line, and even then, they were struggling against postseason-caliber teams for a while. Their offense, defense, AND goaltending were mediocre in the postseason, and I really doubt having Stevens would have miraculously lifted them past the Flyers.

EDIT: Oh, and would you really want to have Clemmensen and/or Ahonen manning the nets throughout an 82-game season and then the postseason?

Last edited by Dantonius: 12-19-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old
12-19-2004, 06:59 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
At one time that was correct, but Stevens is no longer their MVP. The way the Devils were constructed last year Brodeur, Elias and Niedermayer were all more valuable than Stevens.

Old
12-19-2004, 07:12 PM
Spooky371*

1A) Roy
1B) Hasek
2) Brodeur

But Brodeur still young and can broke again a lot of record !

Old
12-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Brodeur-Roy-Hasek

Closed Thread