HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

John Stevens Appreciation Thread

Old
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

vCash: 500
I'll always appreciate the deep playoff run in 07-08. After the season we don't talk about, that was magical.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:33 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkatingDutchman View Post
I'll always appreciate the deep playoff run in 07-08. After the season we don't talk about, that was magical.
Yeah it was. A lot of people here seem to forget that run and have no problem throwing Johnny boy under the bus, but that was magical, especially Lupul's goal to finish off the Caps and the total pwnage of the Montreal Canadians, when most NHL fans said the Flyers had no chance against the Habs.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:40 PM
MsWoof

As an animal lover, I appreciate the fact that he and his family foster kittens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5ACEoHtpeU

He seems like a good person from what players and media people are saying and anyone that's good to animals is okay in my book.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:44 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Yeah it was. A lot of people here seem to forget that run and have no problem throwing Johnny boy under the bus, but that was magical, especially Lupul's goal to finish off the Caps and the total pwnage of the Montreal Canadians, when most NHL fans said the Flyers had no chance against the Habs.
This.

Granted, in the long run Steven's coaching was not going to work here, and it didn't, and that's why he was fired. I completely agree with Homer's decision and I think that hiring Laviolette was long overdue. But come on, we went from being DEAD LAST in the league to a ECF contender. Stevens deserves a lot more respect then he gets.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 08:14 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Anyway, good luck to John Stevens after a long association with the Philadelphia Flyers.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 09:28 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I understand that both Carter and Richards were first round picks in one of the best drafts of all time, but I highly doubt that anyone truly believed that Mike Richards would be a Selke finalist (should have won) and Jeff Carter would be the 2nd leading scorer in the league 3 years into their careers. Heck, the front office didn't believe it, which is why Briere was brought in before both Carter and Richards became stars. When it comes down to it, players are praised when they do good, and coaches are blamed when the team is not doing good. It is a lot easier to try to get a quick fix by firing one coach rather than replacing 10 players, which might not be fair, but it is just the way it goes in the business of the NHL.

I am not asking for a laurel to be sent to his home, I just think he deserves a bit of praise, or at least an ounce of respect for what he has accomplished over the last 2 years. The team went from being the worst in the league to the Conference Finals with a coach that never coached in the NHL. There is no excuse for making the same mistake over and over and over again, which is why he got canned, but there are SOME positive impacts that John Stevens had upon the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Like it or not, this current team is his (and Holmgrens) team playing under Laviolette's system, which hopefully is more effective. If trades go down, then so be it, but Laviolette inherited this extremely talented and experienced team and all he has to do is maximize their potential.
They absolutely believed it. If they didn't, some help would have been acquired and the season which shall not be named never would have happened. Instead, the brass expected these kids to perform like all stars in their SECOND year.

And since this is a Stevens thread, good luck dude. The fit wasn't right here, but I do think Stevens could become a good coach some day.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:00 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
They absolutely believed it. If they didn't, some help would have been acquired and the season which shall not be named never would have happened. Instead, the brass expected these kids to perform like all stars in their SECOND year.

And since this is a Stevens thread, good luck dude. The fit wasn't right here, but I do think Stevens could become a good coach some day.
I understand what you are saying, but why bring in a center for 6 years if you think both Carter and Richards will flourish the NEXT year? I am happy with what Briere has brought to this team, he has unique skills and really helped us go deep in the playoffs Drafting a player in the first round normally means the player will be a major player on the team and most likely the face of the franchise, so they had high hopes and the years before showed trends toward greatness.

I don't think Stevens should have been fired mid-season, being as the last time we did that, the season that shall not be named occurred. I think this team has more talent than that team though. Like it or not, Stevens should have been fired before the year or we should have stuck with him until the offseason, being that our team is now in total 100% disarray. I will reserve judgment (erase today from my mind because he had 1 practice with the team and the players were nervous as hell) and I really hope the grass is indeed greener on the other side. However, I think Laviolette needs to bring in players that he wants, which means we will most likely end up losing some of our assets for pennies on the dollar.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post

During that time everyone thought that Richards was going to be a John Madden/Mike Peca type of player. Great defense, 40-55 points. And everyone also thought that Carter would be 35-40 goals and mediocre defense. They both shattered those expectations. Gagne and Forsberg and Knuble were expected to lead the team during the **** year and, obviously, things went to hell.

But Richards and Carter weren't expected to be all-stars and they weren't expected to lead the team.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:42 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I understand what you are saying, but why bring in a center for 6 years if you think both Carter and Richards will flourish the NEXT year? I am happy with what Briere has brought to this team, he has unique skills and really helped us go deep in the playoffs Drafting a player in the first round normally means the player will be a major player on the team and most likely the face of the franchise, so they had high hopes and the years before showed trends toward greatness.
Because the Briere signing happened a full year after they wanted to start turning the team over to those guys. The brass thought Richards and Carter were ready for it before the season from hell. Clearly it didn't work and they had to make alternate plans.

Quote:
During that time everyone thought that Richards was going to be a John Madden/Mike Peca type of player. Great defense, 40-55 points. And everyone also thought that Carter would be 35-40 goals and mediocre defense. They both shattered those expectations. Gagne and Forsberg and Knuble were expected to lead the team during the **** year and, obviously, things went to hell.

But Richards and Carter weren't expected to be all-stars and they weren't expected to lead the team.
I think they probably expected those two to contribute significantly that year and then step up as the leaders the following year if they couldn't bring Forsberg back. They put most of their eggs in that basket and Carter responded with 14 goals and Richie came out with 32 points (only 59 games though). It's pretty clear the brass wanted those two to carry a significant portion of the load that year as they developed into top notch players and none of that went according to plan.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:14 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Did someone really blame Downie, Kukkonen, Pitkanen, and Lupul on John Stevens???

Old
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Did someone really blame Downie, Kukkonen, Pitkanen, and Lupul on John Stevens???
Considering their regression under Stevens, I hope so.

Quote:
Yeah, considering the NHLPA decided to ***** the season out, the AHL was the top level of hockey available. So technically it did mean something. If they had taken the AHL players and had them play in the NHL that would have been a Stanley Cup.
As it later came out, I believe, the AHL had every right to award the Stanley Cup to the Phantoms.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
As it later came out, I believe, the AHL had every right to award the Stanley Cup to the Phantoms.
I remember something about that. Wasn't there a lot of grass roots support for that?

Old
12-06-2009, 06:48 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Yeah, considering the NHLPA decided to ***** the season out, the AHL was the top level of hockey available. So technically it did mean something. If they had taken the AHL players and had them play in the NHL that would have been a Stanley Cup.
Oh come on... the best players in the game were scattered all over the world in leagues overseas, some in the AHL, and some not playing at all. The AHL was still not even close to NHL level

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 07:01 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Oh come on... the best players in the game were scattered all over the world in leagues overseas, some in the AHL, and some not playing at all. The AHL was still not even close to NHL level
Well I'll figure this.

NHL teams in scrimmages earlier this year beat some European national teams like 10-1. Meanwhile, teams like the Phantoms have beaten the Flyers in their annual scrimmage, and I'm sure they're not the first. The AHL is a much better league than I think you think.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Considering their regression under Stevens, I hope so.

I can see Kukkonen and Pitkanen being blamed on Ol' Johnny Boy but Lupul regressed from being hit by Hatcher and Downie was just plain crazy.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I can see Kukkonen and Pitkanen being blamed on Ol' Johnny Boy but Lupul regressed from being hit by Hatcher and Downie was just plain crazy.
Downie is actually having a good year with TB. I've watched them play a few times and he is getting decent ice time and is doing a very good job along the boards.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It is the coach's job to find a way to get him to not play like a wimp.

Although it's not like Lupul was all that good to start with.

Old
12-07-2009, 07:03 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Downie is on a pace to pot 13 this year. He has really blossomed once away from Stevens.

Kukkonen sucked, and still sucks, which explains why he is playing where he is.

Joffrey Lupul had the two best years of his career under Stevens.

Old
12-07-2009, 07:10 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Downie is on a pace to pot 13 this year. He has really blossomed once away from Stevens.

Not every players role is to score 25 goals.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Sorry, I never have and will never agree with this. Who developed under him??? Richards and Carter??? Those guys played great as rookies under Hitch, they would have been great regardless. How about everyone else???

Coburn - backwards
Downie
Upshall
Pitkanen
Kukkonen - backwards
Carle (Pronger is the big reason for him)
Umberger - Playing much better under Hitch than he did here.
Parent??? - Still up in the air
Lupul - backwards

What he did, like someone else said, was NOT be tough on them....That hurts more than it helps.
I agree with all of it and I will have to add Eager to the list.. Under Hitch Eager was a very good player for us under Stevens and especially that clown Berube, Eager was traded.

I give Stevens credit for Richards PPG production. I never thought that Richards was going to be a PPG player for us. The only thing that he really did imo.

Most fans thought that Carter was going to be a 40 goal scorer for us at some point. Some fans compared him to Staal. I always thought that he was going to be a better point producer then Sedini or Jokinen and he is.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Stevens sucked, and still sucks, which explains why he is coaching where he is... nowhere.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Stevens sucked, and still sucks, which explains why he is coaching where he is... nowhere.

LMAO.

/thread

dont wish ill will on him as a human being. Just dont think hes NHL head coach material yet. maybe he can find a job working under a guy whos been around a bit.
like Hitchcock. wouldnt that be ironic.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Kaktus*

Can LA pick him and re-unite him with you know who?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I liked Stevens, just not as our coach. It was the first time in a while that I'd felt bad for an NHL coach losing their job. Good luck and hopefully you catch on somewhere. Just too much negativity towards a good man in this thread.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Yeah, but is he still taking dumb penalties and sucker punching guys who are tied up by the refs?

Quote:
A league with Jaromir Jagr, Sergei Fedorov, and Sergei Zubov are in that league. They suck too.

Quote:
Let's not act like Stevens turned him into a star, he's still been underwhelming in the NHL. He's been traded for Chris Pronger twice for a reason. One team who did win the Stanley Cup, and another who thinks they should, obviously see him as someone they don't mind not having.