HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Moller Called Up

Old
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
... Well, I hope Moller gets a real shot to show what he can do and won't be jerked around by the coach every other game, like Purcell was. Unfortunately Moller comes in with the air of expectation, just as Purcell did; the expectation not only to score, but to score early on -- otherwise he'll be demoted and down to 5 or 6 minutes a game a week and a half after he comes up. Moller hardly played in his first two games this season, so we'll see if anything changes.

I think a part of the reason that Simmonds and Parse have been so successful as Kings is that A) they weren't given the expectation to put points up on the board right away, B) they were allowed to play their own games, and C) they were given the opportunity to have reasonably consistent linemates. Since Purcell didn't have those luxuries, I hope the Kings and Murray learn a little bit and place Moller in a better position to succeed. Moller's more of a facilitator and a playmaker than he is a pure sniper, so the linemates he plays with will be of paramount importance to him. He's also not a physical player, so that shouldn't be expected to change.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm sorry, but how exactly has Purcell been "jerked around" when he himself should be responsible and accountable for his lack of production. He's constantly been put in a position and been given the ice time to succeed but he has failed to produce. What is a coach to do when a player expected to generate scoring chances is not creating offense?

Teddy was also seeing ice time on the powerplay. The reason he is being bounced around is because he isn't cutting it. He's not good enough to produce at an NHL level. He can't keep up with the play, not by speed nor by his slow reactions. He is inefficient as a top six forward and he provides nothing to the bottom six.

Observe a player like Brad Richardson who early on wasn't contributing much, but his play has at both ends of the ice has improved and he is getting more ice time and has been rewarded as a result. Purcell has done nothing to merit increased ice time.

In the past few games he has been used on the top line and failed to do anything. He was then bumped to the second line and again has done nothing at all. What options is Terry Murray left with?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
of course, but who the hell would want him and give up any sort of value for him?
At this point you're not looking for value. You're looking at the prospect who needs a change kind of a thing like the Tukonen for Clune deal.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The real question is, what injury will Moller suffer tomorrow? Upper or lower body injury?

Seems like everyone being called up gets hurt.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
At this point you're not looking for value. You're looking at the prospect who needs a change kind of a thing like the Tukonen for Clune deal.
Swap him for Vladimir Sobotka of the Boston Bruins. They have identical stats and both have been successful in the AHL but have yet to translate that success over to the NHL.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Certainly Purcell being on the 2nd unit PP for the entire season has not been a position to succeed....

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:58 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Swap him for Vladimir Sobotka of the Boston Bruins. They have identical stats and both have been successful in the AHL but have yet to translate that success over to the NHL.
I would be happy with that.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Actually, I hope the Ivanans experiment is over...http://www.lakingsnews.com

Dare to dream!
Agreed. I would rather have Purcell on the fourth line over Ivanans. Either way, I am happy for Moller though. Hopefully he can prove himself and stay long-term.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
I'd be all over that.

Old
12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I'm sorry, but how exactly has Purcell been "jerked around" when he himself should be responsible and accountable for his lack of production. He's constantly been put in a position and been given the ice time to succeed but he has failed to produce.
... He's played 11 minutes a game. And that isn't even a consistent 11, it's been a couple games at 14/15 followed by 5 or 6 games at 7/8. And yes, Purcell averages about a shift or two on the PP per game, and he hasn't produced yet.

I think the questions for me are ... what are the expectations here for a guy with those kind of minutes? What's the expectation over the course of a season? 40 points? 35? 30? Is he actively hurting the team? He has an even plus minus. Has he actively hurt the power play when he's been out there? They've been sub-par all season, with many other guys playing more time on the PP than Purcell has. Where does it help the team to jerk Purcell off of a line just as he's developing some chemistry with that line and beginning to make other small contributions besides scoring? He's not a big hitter, he's not a shot blocker ... but he has done those things. His play along the boards has been improved. He's there mostly to create chances, and he has had chances. Unfortunately hasn't put them away, yet. Why should I think that if he goes on to continue creating chances, he'll keep getting shut out? What good does that do?

If you want to say Moller deserves the spot over Purcell, hey ... I won't disagree with you at all. Moller's 4 years younger. I like Moller a lot; I like his ability and his skill. But how is he going to be used? In the same manner as Purcell? And if he is, what good will that do? If he doesn't produce after 4 games or so, will he be dropped down to play with Ivanans and Richardson, as if somehow that will help his development in any way?

Quote:
Observe a player like Brad Richardson who early on wasn't contributing much, but his play has at both ends of the ice has improved and he is getting more ice time and has been rewarded as a result.
... The situation with Richardson is completely different, he's not expected to score and any points he does compile are a welcome bonus. He's been left alone and allowed to play his game, and he's becoming a better player as a result of it. I'm happy for him.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
I really doubt the Bruins would do that. I think they've been happy with Sobotka's play so far.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
The Kings can send Purcell to Manchester on a conditioning assignment, but he has to accept the assignment. With the Kings being short of some bodies, I find it likely that Purcell (or Harrold) will be used as a healthy scratch.

My proposed lines for the Kings to use tomorrow:

Moller-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Richardson-Harrold/Purcell
Here are my hopeful but highly doubtful lines:
Richardson-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Moller-Harrold

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Certainly Purcell being on the 2nd unit PP for the entire season has not been a position to succeed....
yep....looking forward to moller...hope he does well.

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
i like the idea of the "Ivanas out" guys.
Was good to read.

for the case Smyth is coming back i would try...

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Frolov-Richardson-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Moller-Stoll-Segal....

in my mind that would be a ballanced lineup with a great shut down line

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2401
Just adding my 2 cents to what JT already said. Just remember that Purcell is a natural RW and not a LW. So, when you guys say that Purcell has had plenty of opportunities, ask yourself, how many games has Purcell played on the RW with skilled players? Purcell's best game this year came as a RW when he played 2 games there alongside Stoll and Parse. Unfortunately for Purcell, we're loaded on the right side.

Purcell playing RW, Moulson playing LW and Boyle playing center was our best line in manchester and were our best prospects just few years ago. It's a shame that those 3 guys were NEVER given a chance to play together as a line in nhl much like Getzlaff/Perry/Penner.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
KingPuckChoo

i'm sure the Isles would jump on Purcell - so waive him!
i'm sure Ivanans can be traded for a 6th round pick (to philly, nyr, or minnesota) - so trade him!

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:13 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
i'm sure the Isles would jump on Purcell - so waive him!
i'm sure Ivanans can be traded for a 6th round pick (to philly, nyr, or minnesota) - so trade him!
Each team you listed already has a tough guy or two, each better than rat boy.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Each team you listed already has a tough guy or two, each better than rat boy.
Washington doesn't have one. I dont count Erskine.

Old
12-06-2009, 10:17 PM
123slam

Moller won't play center. I almost guarantee it. He'll either play on the second line LW or first line LW. DL specifically stated he sees him as a LW not a C. There's no way in hell TM is gonna break up the third line, and Moller isn't suited for the 4th line, and I'm pretty sure TM still feels Frolov is doing great on the first line.

Although, a second line with Moller at LW doesn't seem right to me. I'll go with:

Moller-Kopi-Williams
Frolov-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Zeus-Simmonds
Harrold/Ivanans-Richardson-Purcell

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Reaper45

I think Moller is a good fit on the 2nd line with Brown and Stoll making space for him.

Old
12-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Johnny Utah

The writing is on the wall...Purcell is done..28 games, 2 goals, 3 assists and taken off the 2nd power play in favor of Simmonds. Either that or they realized Harrold stinks too...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I think Moller is a good fit on the 2nd line with Brown and Stoll making space for him.
Hey, we agree on something!!!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Johnny Utah

Ivanans should stay in the line up unless they plan on calling up Westgarth...The Kings are a young team and they don't need to worry about getting run...especially guys like Doughty and Moller....Simmonds is a light weight, O'Donnell is pushing 40 and Matt Greene, although willing, is not a great fighter....Simmonds are Ivanans are 2 of only 12 forwards who can drop the gloves....Maybe if the Kings had a few other middleweights spread through out the line up they would be ok...but we don't....

The Flyers can afford to sit Cote because they have Asham, Carcillo, and Lappy....Same with the Blues and Janssen...they still have Crombeen, Winchester, and Jackman...We don't have that toughness...Look at the young Thrashers...they play Boulton and Thorbourn almost every night.

The Coyotes are playing Bissonette almost every night and even if not Pyatt and Jovo are very good fighters, the Stars are playing Barch, Ott and Sutherby and the Ducks are playing Parros, Brown and Boynton. The Oilers have Souray, a great fighter, along with Stortini, Jacques and Strudwick, the Canucks have Bieska, Mitchell, Hordichuk, Glass and Rypien, the Flames have Prust, McGratta, Nystrom, and Regher....The Sharks have McLaren, Shelley, Nichol, D. Murray, and Staubitz....

Capitals fans are all upset they let Brashear go and look what happens...Bradley is getting smoked on a regular basis and now he gets TKO'd by Carcillo...Erskine is probably a better fighter than anyone on the Kings and he still isn't enough. You need toughness spread through out your line-up...we don't have that...If Ivanans sits we have to worry about 21 year old and 170 lb Simmonds and 37-38 year old O'Donnell protecting everyone....? That's not fair to the team or either of those guys...it's more than they can handle. A 19 year old Clifford can't handle that either...the Kings are going to have to replace O'Donnell and Ivanans' toughnness next year...No doubt.

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 12-07-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:06 AM
ru4reals

Purcell = Moulsen just watch.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.