HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's expendable?

Old
12-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Slowbro

vCash: 500
sell high on Carter before he turns into the next Cheechoo.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Who is the Joe Thorton to Carter's Cheechoo though? Obviously you may end up being right, but I think Carter owes less of his production to the creativity of other players than Cheechoo did..

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:50 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Carcillo, Emery, Cote and Asham are very disposable right now. All should be traded ASAP if you ask me. Trade Emery and Carcillo and maybe something else for Harding. Cote and Asham... I don't know.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Carcillo, Emery, Cote and Asham are very disposable right now. All should be traded ASAP if you ask me. Trade Emery and Carcillo and maybe something else for Harding. Cote and Asham... I don't know.
Asham has been the best player the last 3 games.... Cote is a no brainer.. Emery has been fine up until this losing streak. But the team in front of him hasn't really helped either goalie out. Harding is unproven...

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:52 AM
djw99

no one is expendable. that has to be the mentality of the team right now. But this is my list.

Carter - this guy is got all the talent but he's way too soft.
Hartnell - Hartnell has some talent but he can't skate
Timonen - great defensemen but we could get some cap flexibility with trading him.
Carcillo - i don't think you can trade him so I'm not sure what you do with him
Briere - See Carcillo above (although if you trade carter, briere can stay although the cap hit sucks)

Obvisoulsy you wouldn't get rid of all these guys, but these are the ones I'd be sending some feelers out for.

djw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Carter is too skilled to be the next Cheechoo. How about we be patient instead of writing him off 26 games this year? Our kids need a chance under the new coach. I believe they will turn it around.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Lomark

Quote:
Carters production will never drop like Cheechoos has. He has much more tools at his disposal than Cheechoo has ever had. I agree about the sell high part tho. His play lacks passion and he is one of many who isn't good enough at cycling the puck in the offensive zone.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
Carters production will never drop like Cheechoos has. He has much more tools at his disposal than Cheechoo has ever had. I agree about the sell high part tho. His play lacks passion and he is one of many who isn't good enough at cycling the puck in the offensive zone.
exactly.. cheechoo was just the best way of saying it.

Old
12-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Slowbro

with that being said..

i would trade carter/giroux for a bobby ryan package (maybe get our damn 1st back)

Old
12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Lomark

Quote:
with that being said..

i would trade carter/giroux for a bobby ryan package (maybe get our damn 1st back)
Giroux stays.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Carter is too skilled to be the next Cheechoo.
I only see one skill in Carter - his wrister.

He is not particularly fast. He doesn't have great moves. He dioesn't stickhandle well. He isn't tough enough fro the front of the net. He isn't a good passer. He has no backhand to speak of.

What else is there?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:46 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I only see one skill in Carter - his wrister.

He is not particularly fast. He doesn't have great moves. He dioesn't stickhandle well. He isn't tough enough fro the front of the net. He isn't a good passer. He has no backhand to speak of.

What else is there?
Carter has excellent speed -- to the point where he can break away pretty well. His problem is that when he does get away, he tries his one move and it rarely works. He also has decent moves when he curls off of the boards.

I know you don't like Carter and I understand -- his gutless final play of the playoffs last year pissed me off to no end -- but be honest about what he brings to the table. He's one of the team's best skaters, he has a fantastic shot, and he can pull off moves around defenders. The problem is that he, like the Flyers for the last couple of years, is remarkably inconsistent in terms of complete play. When he is on his game, he has the ability to be the most dominant player on our roster, next to Pronger. The problem is getting that consistent play out of him, and that comes from practice and hard work.

Hopefully, Laviolette -- a new, outside party -- will be able to reach him. I get incredibly frustrated with both Hartnell and Carter (for different reasons), but I don't think we should give up on them yet.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 05:48 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Carcillo.

/sarcasm...**** Carcillo haters.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Lomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Carter has excellent speed -- to the point where he can break away pretty well. His problem is that when he does get away, he tries his one move and it rarely works. He also has decent moves when he curls off of the boards.

I know you don't like Carter and I understand -- his gutless final play of the playoffs last year pissed me off to no end -- but be honest about what he brings to the table. He's one of the team's best skaters, he has a fantastic shot, and he can pull off moves around defenders. The problem is that he, like the Flyers for the last couple of years, is remarkably inconsistent in terms of complete play. When he is on his game, he has the ability to be the most dominant player on our roster, next to Pronger. The problem is getting that consistent play out of him, and that comes from practice and hard work.

Hopefully, Laviolette -- a new, outside party -- will be able to reach him. I get incredibly frustrated with both Hartnell and Carter (for different reasons), but I don't think we should give up on them yet.
I'll agree that he has a great shot and very good speed. But when does he ever "pull off moves around defenders"? His play in traffic is not good. I'm not sure if the problem is lack of balance, lack of strength or poor stick handling tho.. I don't see him as dominant in any way. Players like Forsberg are dominant. They control the play by keeping the puck in possession and by making others better.
I'm a very loyal guy. If we are going to keep Carter, move him to the wing with a playmaking center where he can contribute with good finishing and break out plays. If we keep losing and we need to move someone I think he is the one tho. We could probably get something very good in return...

Old
12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Hey guys,

Was on the main board and figured this is the best place to post.

Boston is looking for a winger for Savard and Gagne and Carter come to mind. With the 9 picks in the first 2 rounds in 2010 and 2011 (exclude Toronto's first this year) and the glut of forwards (particularly the center position where players cannot take Savard, Krejci, or Bergeron's position) that want a shot at the NHL, do you think their is trade potential there?

I have read a lot about Carter's softness on the puck and along the boards, and was thinking perhaps a move to the RW would be the answer, but I can also see Gagne having success with Julien's system and Savard's passing.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
I'll agree that he has a great shot and very good speed. But when does he ever "pull off moves around defenders"? His play in traffic is not good. I'm not sure if the problem is lack of balance, lack of strength or poor stick handling tho.. I don't see him as dominant in any way. Players like Forsberg are dominant. They control the play by keeping the puck in possession and by making others better.
I'm a very loyal guy. If we are going to keep Carter, move him to the wing with a playmaking center where he can contribute with good finishing and break out plays. If we keep losing and we need to move someone I think he is the one tho. We could probably get something very good in return...
This is what interests me as a Bruins fan.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:39 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
This is what interests me as a Bruins fan.
I would only probably go for a direct trade with Carter for Bergeron. To be honest though, I don't even know if something like that would even happen before the trade deadline, probably off-season. I still hope that Gagne will always be a Flyer, when he's healthy, he produces and is worth what he gets paid.

Old
12-07-2009, 12:48 AM
mypunkrock

Doesn't Gagne have a NTC?

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:53 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Doesn't Gagne have a NTC?

Regards,
Rick
Yeah he does, I just looked it up. To be honest, I really hope he still stays as a Flyer, even if it's without one.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I hope you make a lot of shake up moves.... but then again I only want the worst for your franchise .

What should happen, considering that you have one of the most talented rosters in hockey, is that the players and team leaders are told to suck it up and grind through to find their game - and their balls. Aided by gruelling, tough as nails practise sessions and public humiliation when they fail to stand up for one another. Bringing back the ol' recipe, as Michel Therrien would say.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:32 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I hope you make a lot of shake up moves.... but then again I only want the worst for your franchise .

What should happen, considering that you have one of the most talented rosters in hockey, is that the players and team leaders are told to suck it up and grind through to find their game - and their balls. Aided by gruelling, tough as nails practise sessions and public humiliation when they fail to stand up for one another. Bringing back the ol' recipe, as Michel Therrien would say.
Right now Stevens and Therrien are watching brokeback mountain and whispering "I can't quit you" as candlelight flickers shadows across the wall of their dingy Motel 6 room.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Asham has been the best player the last 3 games.... Cote is a no brainer.. Emery has been fine up until this losing streak. But the team in front of him hasn't really helped either goalie out. Harding is unproven...
good luck trying to get anything for Cote.
Hes barely a NHL player.
I wouldnt trade Asham. Hes been great for us since we got him.
Emery is what he is. hes a goaltender getting paid 1.5 million, that said I am not ready to throw him under the bus yet. Its not like the team has been playing well in front of him.
Carter is on top of my expendable list right now.
But lets see how he reacts to a coach who demands he work hard every night.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 12-07-2009 at 02:06 PM.
GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
good luck trying to get anything for Cote.
Hes barely a NHL player.
I wouldnt trade Asha, Hes been great for us since we got him.
Emery is what he is. hes a goaltender getting paid 1.5 million, that said I am not ready to throw him under the bus yet. Its not like the team has been playing well in front of him.
Carter is on top of my expendable list right now.
But lets see how he reacts to a coach who demands he work hard every night.
Carter in my mind HAS been a bit of a let down this year but I'm not sure I would trade him - unless obviously someone made an offer we couldn't refuse...

Here's an idea, being a Kings fan as well....would you trade Carter for Frolov straight up, if Frolov agreed beforehand to an extension or a new contract? Or would L.A. have to throw in a couple of picks? God knows we need 'em.....

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
Carter in my mind HAS been a bit of a let down this year but I'm not sure I would trade him - unless obviously someone made an offer we couldn't refuse...

Here's an idea, being a Kings fan as well....would you trade Carter for Frolov straight up, if Frolov agreed beforehand to an extension or a new contract? Or would L.A. have to throw in a couple of picks? God knows we need 'em.....
Heck no!

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post

I would never trade Carter for Frolov straight up.
I do pay attention to the Kings as well, since I am a fan of their AHL affiliate.
Frolov has amazing talent. but the problem resides about if his shoulders. He just doesnt get it.
I honestly think the Kings are going to let him walk on July 1st and hes going to think he deserves the big payday and hes going to end up in the KHL.
LA has enough chips to make a play for a top 6 forward in their system. they have the draft picks, the prospects in Manchester and elsewhere to make it happen.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote