HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL scoring

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
hockeyGod

vCash: 500
NHL scoring

I would like to get an idea of NHL fans that actually want to see high scoring games. I am 21 years old have been an NHL addict since about the age of 18. A fan my whole life.

I have seen the likes of Gretz, Mario, Roy, Jagr(prime), Mess etc. Alotta scoring in the early 90's was kinda fun to watch. But I do prefer todays NHL. I like tight checking games, 2-1, 3-2...NO TIES. This for me makes a game where it is 5-4.
7-5...A treat.

How many of you true NHL fans prefer todays tight hockey rather than the olden days.

BTW I like how it is actually hard to score on a goalie now!

Old
12-18-2004, 09:29 PM
Masao

I don't like going out of my mind to buy tickets and pass an entire evening at a game to see a score of 1-0 and 60 minutes of dump and chase....

However, I'm not a big fan of the early 80s madness either...

Personally, I think the mid-90s was the best hockey period ever. From say 1991-92 to 1995-96 it was really great, kind of a mix between the 80s and today. The game was not ridiculously open but it wasn't a borefest like today... just perfect.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:16 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod
I would like to get an idea of NHL fans that actually want to see high scoring games. I am 21 years old have been an NHL addict since about the age of 18. A fan my whole life.

I have seen the likes of Gretz, Mario, Roy, Jagr(prime), Mess etc. Alotta scoring in the early 90's was kinda fun to watch. But I do prefer todays NHL. I like tight checking games, 2-1, 3-2...NO TIES. This for me makes a game where it is 5-4.
7-5...A treat.

How many of you true NHL fans prefer todays tight hockey rather than the olden days.

BTW I like how it is actually hard to score on a goalie now!
I prefer todays games a lot more then the old days. When they show old games on TSN, I can't even watch one period of it without constently changing channel.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:21 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

I don't care if a game is 1-0 or 12-9, as long as I see an effort on the part of BOTH teams to actually score. If all a team is doing is dumping in it and having one man passively pursuing the puck while 4 guys stand between the blueline and red line, clutching and grabbing anyone who tries to get the puck out of their own end, I'm bored to tears and think it is disgraceful behaviour (that isn't the way hockey is meant to be played) I want to see teams going end to end, full tilt pursuit of the puck in all zones.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:26 PM
x-bob

just wanna add something. I prefer games that finish 1-0, 2-1 then games where there is a so-so goal on every 3 shots

Old
12-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
I don't like going out of my mind to buy tickets and pass an entire evening at a game to see a score of 1-0 and 60 minutes of dump and chase....

However, I'm not a big fan of the early 80s madness either...

Personally, I think the mid-90s was the best hockey period ever. From say 1991-92 to 1995-96 it was really great, kind of a mix between the 80s and today. The game was not ridiculously open but it wasn't a borefest like today... just perfect.
Exception is 92-93, that was mad madness you maniac! But you are right, I still cling to 91-96 hockey which was brilliant. You had the old troopers still putting up great numbers (Gretzky, Coffey, Murphy) then you had players in their prime (Lemieux, Selanne, Bure) and then you had the future (Kariya, Tkachuk, Pronger), it was awesome.

Old
12-18-2004, 10:35 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
The early-mid 1990s is my favourite period as well. The two biggest negatives in the NHL today - skyrocketing salaries and trap dominance - really came into focus around 1996 or 1997. The years before that were outstanding. Just a lot of talent in the league, marquee players on almost every team, and the entertainment value was at an all-time high.

Old
12-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
The early-mid 1990s is my favourite period as well. The two biggest negatives in the NHL today - skyrocketing salaries and trap dominance - really came into focus around 1996 or 1997. The years before that were outstanding. Just a lot of talent in the league, marquee players on almost every team, and the entertainment value was at an all-time high.
along with nhl popularity being at an all time high. i agree with everyone that said early to mid 90s hockey was the best. for a while i figured i only thought that because the pens were so good back then, so i'm glad to hear others agree that hockey during that time period was awesome. the '92-93 and '95-96 seasons are particular favorites of mine, although different outcomes would have been preferred.

Old
12-19-2004, 07:43 PM
mytor4*

70's to early 90's when ref were doing there jobs. after that refs just ruin the game calling penaltys when they felt like it instead of following the rule book.follow the book again and the game will get back on track.the trap won't stop scoring because its based on interferance. call the penalty-goodby trap.

Old
12-19-2004, 10:52 PM
nckd

I'd go for early to mid '90s,too. I also was thinking that I might have just found it so exciting because that's when the Penguins were good (and I was a kid). Seeing the old games on FSN makes me change my mind. There was too much clutch-and-grab, but I'll take that over passive defensive systems.

It's really not the scoring, so much as the possibility of scoring. I don't mind a 2-1 game where a goal could come any time. I don't like watching a 10-0 game where one team can't play defense. When you know a game is over after 2 goals are scored, when a 4th defenseman can stop almost any 2-man rush -- that's not so entertaining.

Old
12-19-2004, 11:05 PM
BuppY

I don't mind 2-1 game or 6-5 game as long as the game is very good, the game is wide open, end to end action not a lot of powerplays just a very entertaining game. I don't like games that are played mostly in the neautral zone. I don't like games where 1 team has been dominating the other team throughout the game. I like it when the game is very smooth and has end to end action, very fast pace games. I love watching Leafs and Oilers game.

Old
12-19-2004, 11:38 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
1-0 games can be the best sometimes as long as their are chances.. it boils down to me not being about how many goals are scored but how many chances there are, thats the key to an exciting game in my opinion. Just because a goalie is dominant doesn't mean the game isn't exciting.

Closed Thread