HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ilkka Heikkinen

Old
12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

vCash: 500
Ilkka Heikkinen

Hasn't looked overwhelmed out there, steady, composed reminds me of Sauer's first two games last year...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Mrpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Hasn't looked overwhelmed out there, steady, composed reminds me of Sauer's first two games last year...
He hasn't stood out. (Which for a D-man is a good thing)
I think they should continue to carry him as the 7th when Redden comes back.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Heikkenen has been unnoticable for the most part.

Thats a good thing in my book, but maybe not in Tortorella's...who cut Sauer's look short thanks to his quiet, unassuming game.

The team defense is getting slightly better too, although they continue to give up several opportunities a game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

He's been decent considering it's his first look at this level of play. He's a little cavalier with the puck at times, but he plays a decent two-way game. I was impressed with his physicality at first, but that seems to have tailed off rather quickly.

He seems like he could be a solid #5/6 guy at some point.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
He's been decent considering it's his first look at this level of play. He's a little cavalier with the puck at times, but he plays a decent two-way game. I was impressed with his physicality at first, but that seems to have tailed off rather quickly.

He seems like he could be a solid #5/6 guy at some point.

He's definitely big enough to play the physical game...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:01 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I don't think he's been anything special, at all - and I've been really focusing on watching him when he's on the ice. I certainly haven't seen him make very good plays with the puck. But it's only two games, and he hasn't been a total liability either.

12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Looks to be no more than a 5/6 kind of guy.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Thats all Im asking for at this point.

At a point now, where the majority of our defense is either playing poorly or just plain mis-cast, Im perfectly fine with a cheap option that can handle the defensive side of the game along with third pairing minutes.

Old
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think that's just fine. From what I've heard, the Rangers weren't expecting much more than that from him. If we can pluck a guy out of Europe for nothing other than money and have him be a serviceable bottom pairing guy, I'd call that a win.

I think the Rangers are pegging their hopes on McDonagh being the left-handed 2nd pairing guy down the line. Something similar to Brad Stuart, and who wouldn't want to see McD doing to Crosby what Stuart did to Arty last night?

Old
12-07-2009, 10:47 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think that's just fine. From what I've heard, the Rangers weren't expecting much more than that from him. If we can pluck a guy out of Europe for nothing other than money and have him be a serviceable bottom pairing guy, I'd call that a win.

I think the Rangers are pegging their hopes on McDonagh being the left-handed 2nd pairing guy down the line. Something similar to Brad Stuart, and who wouldn't want to see McD doing to Crosby what Stuart did to Arty last night?
I know McD throws his body around, but is he as physical as Stuart? That would be awesome.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I know McD throws his body around, but is he as physical as Stuart? That would be awesome.
I wouldn't say he's as physical, but he likes that side of the game. Not too hard to get an already physical guy to play with a little more edge. It's the guys who shy away from contact that can't really learn that part of the game.

Old
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
NYR Viper

In Buffalo I was very impressed with his physical game. He not only threw his body around but he got underneath the Sabres skin a few times. Mair actually challenged at one point to fight which most likely was not shown on TV. He was quietly effective and while his positioning wasnt great that comes with a little experience. Seeing him and Sangs and knowing Sauer and McDonagh are close to NHL makes one wonder who is on their way out before next season starts.

On a sidenote, he was surprisingly good in the offensive zone and he was also a very smooth skater. Color me impressed from the game I saw in person.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:24 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
He doesn't shy away from contact and he isn't afraid to get a little dirty sometimes but hes a big guy who knows his limits.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
haveandare

I'd rather have him on the ice every night than Rozy. Like everyone is saying, he may not be the stand out guy on the ice but he's not a liability and thats more than can be said of Rozy. He stands out, but only because he makes terrible, terrible decisions almost every chance he gets.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'd rather have him on the ice every night than Rozy. Like everyone is saying, he may not be the stand out guy on the ice but he's not a liability and thats more than can be said of Rozy. He stands out, but only because he makes terrible, terrible decisions almost every chance he gets.
You're exaggerating the truth.

And yes i'd like to have a consistently steady guy in there, but I don't know if Heikkenen is capable of that, i've watched him play two games at the NHL level.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You're exaggerating the truth.

And yes i'd like to have a consistently steady guy in there, but I don't know if Heikkenen is capable of that, i've watched him play two games at the NHL level.
Thats an insightful and refreshing viewpoint.

But please note that, as a fan of the Rangers, you need to try to jump to conclusions faster on player development....even if theres little or no evidence to make a decision.

Old
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats an insightful and refreshing viewpoint.

But please note that, as a fan of the Rangers, you need to try to jump to conclusions faster on player development....even if theres little or no evidence to make a decision.
That's what happens when you have guys like Blowzitall on the blue line.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
That's what happens when you have guys like Blowzitall on the blue line.
Disregarding cap hit and looking only at performance, you'd really prefer playing Heikkenen over Rozsival.

Roszival hasnt been good this season, especially early on.

Hes not nearly as bad as many make him out to be, however.

Old
12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
one negative thing I've noticed is it looks like he has pretty slow foot speed. Not to say that he doesn't make up for it by not getting caught out of position; just an observation.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Heikkinen turned the puck over 3-4 times on Saturday night. He stepped up in the neutral zone to force a turnover. He was OK against Buffalo with his 10 minutes of ice time. He was honest in the assessment of his first NHL game.

Quote:
In his NHL debut, D Ilkka Heikkinen was solid. "A couple of bad passes (tying to clear the zone," he said. "Otherwise I was OK."

Said Tortorella: "He tends to stray away from the net because he was looking to hit people. But that's something we need more of, especially below the hashmarks, we'll deal with the positioning."
http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...-2-1-1.1639516

Heikkinen is not a physical player. There was the Kaleta sequence but that was more Kaleta running around looking to hit someone or have someone hit him. Steve Zipay called his play "solid" He doesn't appear to have much upper body strength. He is more of a shover.

Look at this masterpiece by Zipay from last night.

Quote:
The writing's on the wall. GM Glen Sather needs to find another solid scorer...
http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/...rs-1-1.1640823

Next Steve will tell us Tiger Woods needs to stay away from white girls.

On the 2 on 1 by Detroit in the first period in which Sean Avery took the 2 minute hooking penalty,Heikkinen played that poorly. He didn't take Bertuzzi who had the puck. He didn't try to take away the pass to Abdelkader. He looked like Rozsival misplaying the Rupp goal from last week.

In two games,Heikkinen hasn't made a decent first pass to a forward. He dumps the puck in the offensive zone which results in giving the puck back to the opponent because the Ranger forwards have trouble recovering loose pucks and getting offense from cycling the puck.

Who's next?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
FLYLine24*

He's made some obvious mistakes in the defenseive zone IMO the past two games...mainly when he's trying to get the puck out, his breakout passing has been below average. Besides that he's been ok.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes been ok. as soon as Redden is ready though, I send him back down.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Frankly, I don't know who has invaded Ilkka Heikkinen's body since he got to the NHL. In the first game, he was as physical as he can be, which is not his game. Yes, he can hit, but he was way too physical in that game for his strengths and weaknesses. Then in the second game, he just kept going back in front of the net and was almost totally passive.

Heikkinen used to be (pre-NHL) an offensive defenseman who could play D, hit occasionally, had average speed, and a very heavy shot. He had good vision and could distribute the puck well.

In the games I have seen, he has not been offensively effective at all, and seems very tentative every time he got the puck. He did not distribute the puck well, and did not shoot except once.

I hope he gains some confidence, because he is not taking advantage of his skills. I am sure he was told to tone down the hitting because it was too often taking him out of the play. He does not have the speed to get back and position himself well. If he somehow goes back to who he is, he should be a 3 or 4 guy, not 5 or 6. But the way he's playing right now, he's barely a 6th blueliner.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Frankly, I don't know who has invaded Ilkka Heikkinen's body since he got to the NHL. In the first game, he was as physical as he can be, which is not his game. Yes, he can hit, but he was way too physical in that game for his strengths and weaknesses. Then in the second game, he just kept going back in front of the net and was almost totally passive.

Heikkinen used to be (pre-NHL) an offensive defenseman who could play D, hit occasionally, had average speed, and a very heavy shot. He had good vision and could distribute the puck well.

In the games I have seen, he has not been offensively effective at all, and seems very tentative every time he got the puck. He did not distribute the puck well, and did not shoot except once.

I hope he gains some confidence, because he is not taking advantage of his skills. I am sure he was told to tone down the hitting because it was too often taking him out of the play. He does not have the speed to get back and position himself well. If he somehow goes back to who he is, he should be a 3 or 4 guy, not 5 or 6. But the way he's playing right now, he's barely a 6th blueliner.
That sounds like a lack of instruction (he didn't get many practices with the team before playing back to back). It must also be hard to play up to your strengths when you're getting less than 10 minutes a night. On a team that's having major problems in more than one aspect of the game.

Regardless, it been clear from the beginning of the season that Tortorella is not comfortable playing more than 2 rookies on defense. Unless the team is out of the playoffs or there is a long term injury on the blueline, the only time blueline prospects are going to be called up is to fill in for a game or two. And then, they won't play more than 10-12 minutes. Tortorella goes with who he is comfortable with and he'd rather have someone out there who he knows, even if that player is not playing well. I'm not really sure any rookie defenseman could come in right now and make a strong case to stay and even if he did, chances are he would be sent down the moment whomever was injured felt good enough to play.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 07:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Disregarding cap hit and looking only at performance, you'd really prefer playing Heikkenen over Rozsival.

Roszival hasnt been good this season, especially early on.

Hes not nearly as bad as many make him out to be, however.
I'd prefer to have a cheap veteran defenseman. However, sometimes I wonder if a rookie would be better. The problem with Rozsival besides the fact that he's a turnover machine is the utter lack of confidence in the offensive zone. The guy has a cannon and never uses it. He has trouble keeping the puck in the zone on a consistent basis and now this year he's slower than ever. If he makes a mistake on the blueline he's bound to get burned.

Another issue I have with him is how soft he is. I've seen him throw some nasty hits every now and then, but most of the time he doesn't even hit anyone. It's awful. Sure positioning > hitting everyone, but a good defenseman knows how to have a good balance between the two.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote