HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Could someone give me the scoop on Warrior sticks?

Old
11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Warrior sticks are all over the place but the general rule is, they're very old technology that's overpriced because of marketing. You know what you're getting, but they don't perform anywhere near the top sticks of today, with a few exceptions. The Dolomite is the Inno 1100 that goes back to 2003, the Mac Daddy was the vapor 30, the Kronik is the vapor 30 with a diff blade and ads, etc.The puck feel also varies widely. The Dolomite felt like you have the puck on a ceramic plate, but the Mac Daddy puck feel was actually really good. They were known for very stiff blades but started to mess with that last year, 2008, and are experimenting with diff types of blades now.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 06:05 PM
bmxer

I've been using Dolomites for some times now and they are my favorite stick. I would recommend a Dolomite with HD blade with or without nipple grip. I picked up two Dolomite Spynes for a low price, but they are heavier then the regular dolomites and thus harder to get a quick release. I have never tried Kroniks or MacDaddy's. I have also had an S17 which has an awesome release but poor durability.

bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Devil Dancer

Warriors universally feel heavy to me. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:30 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
They are not the lightest sticks you could buy

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've owned a Dolomite OPS and several Dolomite shafts and blades. I find them to be some of the best performing and most durable sticks on the market, and their blades are definitely the stiffest and most durable. They have a really low kick point which works perfect for me as a wrist shot guy.

The HD blades have much better feel but I didn't keep mine long enough to know about the durability.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I would probably like them if this is the case. I seriously doubt I would like a stick so light that it felt almost like nothing.

Most composites of the better than medium quality type are pretty light and good enough for me as they are now.

I am more concerned with feel actually at this point. I have never used a Warrior stick but am intrigued, I must say though I am not too enticed with the pricetag for them. I have the same issues with RBK whcih sucks because they do have some nice sticks too.

Then again how much more are they when compared to lower priced sticks?

having never used any warrior sticks I am pretty certain I would like them from what others have mentioned about them in here.

The sticks I use now are light but not as light as these crazy light sticks out there. I use harrow 2 piece setups. They are coated with a semigloss rubber coating for grip and boast shaft inserts inside which help feel the puck. The rubber adds weight and turns some people off but shooters like them.

Harrow even claim in their ads or website they are not trying to be the lightest but instead the best for puck feel.

If I found a warrior stick like that I would get it even iof not the lightest stick out there. I believe it is getting to the point that sticks are too light anyway but being a defensive bull in a china shop type forward I suppose it is why I do not mind a slightly heavier composite stick.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

While on the topic of Warrior Dolomites and durability, what is the undisputed durability champion of the stick world? The Easton ST's?

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:31 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Warrior is one of the most reasonably priced brands for OPS. (compared to Eaton, Bauer, Rbk)

Someone else is going have to tell him thats, im on ignore.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:32 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
While on the topic of Warrior Dolomites and durability, what is the undisputed durability champion of the stick world? The Easton ST's?
ST's or the R10's imo.

Old
11-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Bionda
Dat MLSE money, son

Very light weight and good for quick snap shots, and wristers. The release is key, the S17 is tops in this department. Stickhandling feels strange though, a bit awkward in my opinion, someone else likened it to a "ceramic" plate.
Not very durable in my experience, the shafts have broken at inopportune times, especially during slap shot releases. I find all this similar to their lacrosse equipment, light weight yet not very durable (dolomite included).

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 09:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I've found the Warriors to be very durable but don't perform as well as Easton. I have a Dolomite Smyth and another Kovalchuk but I don't use either of them. They just seem OK to me so I end up kicking them to the curb for something else. I'm using a Sherwood RM 19 Coffey right now and will buy another one when this one is done. I'm 6 ft, 190 lbs, playmaker/shooter, playing hockey for 15 years so I rely on my stick to be perfect for me every game. The Warrior sticks I use just seem to be missing something, they're like a pretty girl with a moustache. It is funny though how widely the opinions of their sticks are. Some feel they are durable, some think they break too easy. Some say they perform great, others say they are too heavy. I think a lot of it has to do with your weight, style of play and whether or not durability outweighs performance. Price-wise I've never found them to be more expensive than any stick out there but I live within driving distance of Hockey Monkey and Hockey Giant so I get to price compare when it comes to all my equipment.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby1746 View Post
i really want an 08' AK27, the gold one. but i cant find it in an 85 flex on any of the websites i order from. Ive seen it on a few websites ive never heard of before but i dont know if i wanna take that risk
I use to have an 08 AK27 shaft (gold) with a Weight blade. by far far far, the best stick I ever used. best for slappers and wristers. then, some bozo comes along and slashes my AK27 and breaks it in half.

I buy the new 09 AK27 shaft with a Vanek blade, supposed replacement for the Weight pattern.
anyways...I don't know, but I just can't get the performance from the 09 as I use to have with the 08.

I tried many many many OPS, shafts since then with 0 satisfaction.
think I'll try my AK27 shaft again, just in case.

man I miss my old 08 AK27 shaft

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
nyr33

i have two warrior dolomite two pieces (pro stock) and they are amazing. The pro stock blade broke down fairly quickly, but the retail blade is awesome. Its very very durable and has a great puck feel. I recently fell in love with the one95 shaft, but the blade sucks. Going to pair it up with an AK27 blade soon

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 12:17 AM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I use to have an 08 AK27 shaft (gold) with a Weight blade. by far far far, the best stick I ever used. best for slappers and wristers. then, some bozo comes along and slashes my AK27 and breaks it in half.

I buy the new 09 AK27 shaft with a Vanek blade, supposed replacement for the Weight pattern.
anyways...I don't know, but I just can't get the performance from the 09 as I use to have with the 08.

I tried many many many OPS, shafts since then with 0 satisfaction.
think I'll try my AK27 shaft again, just in case.

man I miss my old 08 AK27 shaft
[url]http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-shaft-ak27-sr-grip.html

Last edited by nyr33: 12-03-2009 at 12:35 AM.
nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Blueshockey2*

I've got a 300flex Dolomite pro stock stick and it deffinently doesn't feel like a 100 flex stick @ all, feels more like a 75-85 flex

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

300 flex?

Old
12-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Pog Form

He's 17 feet tall and weights 650 pounds, so it's ok.

I have a Warrior Dolomite (Kovalev) and I love it. It's quite heavy, as has been mentioned, but it can take a beating, so it's a wash. The price was very good too, $79.99 or $89.99 (CDN) if I recall correctly.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
300 flex?
300 flex Inno = 85 flex Warrior

Old
12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshockey2 View Post
I've got a 300flex Dolomite pro stock stick and it deffinently doesn't feel like a 100 flex stick @ all, feels more like a 75-85 flex
300 flex is the same as 85 flex. You'd want a 260/240 flex.

Old
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
300 flex Inno = 85 flex Warrior
Beautiful! When I called Warrior they told me it was equivalent to eastons 100 flex

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Ajlepisto

Warrior = Montreal now, right?

If it means anything, I have an older model Montreal Graphite 2 piece and it's awesome, really durable, relatively light. Bought it in Europe.

Ajlepisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:26 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlepisto View Post

If it means anything, I have an older model Montreal Graphite 2 piece and it's awesome, really durable, relatively light. Bought it in Europe.
What do you mean?

Montreal makes Warrior sticks or Warrior makes Montreal sticks?

I think Montreal = Tackla though.

http://www.montrealhockey-usa.com/

Old
12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlepisto View Post

no, montreal makes montreal sticks (nitro). not sure about the other sticks, but as was said earlier in this thread, the dolo shafts are basically the old innos.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Warrior bought Montreal, but they seem to only care about the goalie sticks. I e-mailed Warrior about launching a line of wood sticks and blades (Montreal makes hands down the best wood sticks and blades IMO...great flex, great durability, smooth finish, stiff blades), but they didn't have any plans.

Old
12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Ajlepisto

Okay, ya, Warrior acquired Montreal. I wasn't sure who manufactured the various things though, if they were just branded different or what not. I can speak for Montreal quality though, I used their graphite shafts and wood blades for years and they never broke prematurely and have great feel. Sometimes the balance gets a little off, but that's what you get with wood on the bottom of graphite.

Ajlepisto is offline   Reply With Quote