HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey interested by Horton & Sharp

Old
12-07-2009, 09:13 AM
smiler2729

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
The Fourth Period is basically just like Eklund. Just stuff made up.

Bob Gainey has proven again and again with his trades that no one knows anything about them until they happen. Kovalev from NYR, Theodore to COL, Huet to WSH, Latendresse to MIN all came out of nowhere.

smiler2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
As term of proposal for Horton, I could see something like:

Andreï Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn and Yannick Weber for Nathan Horton and Shawn Matthias.

Weber played for De Boerer with Kitchener...
Horton's finally playing well consistently this season, so I don't see him going anywhere, especially not for that deal, sorry. I'm actually not a fan of Horton's, but if he keeps up his play, he'll turn me around.

Everyone keeps saying Nate's available, I don't think he is. He's playing great and has found chemistry with everyone on the ice.

12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl091204.html

I'd rather see Horton than Sharp, even if he's a good player, he's older than Horton, and Horton is bigger than him.
But Sharp is a better hockey player.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:24 AM
shutehinside

Can someone please expain to me why Chicago would trade key parts of their team when they're going to make a play off run and don't need to make any changes?

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't see why on Earth they would make ANY trade right now unless they get a trade offer that fleeces the other team in question.

Horton is different but still, he is the only marquee name left in Fla and he's tuned his game around. So, once again, why would they trade him unless they're fleecing the other team?

I think if Gainey makes a deal, it's for a player we won't find very appealing for assets we'd rather not give up and then we'll have to play the wait and see game while he gets bashed for making the trade in question. Even if he gets Kovalchuk (won't happen) he'll get crucified for giving up players in the deal that the majority of fans wouldn't want to give up i.e. Subban, Kosty's, Pleks etc... What most fail to realise is that you have to give to get and other GM's aren't stupid (Milbury is the exception) and want very good players and prospects in return for Superstars.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:30 AM
C77

I think Sharp would be a better fit for the Habs. That guy skates like the wind.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I think Sharp would be a better fit for the Habs. That guy skates like the wind.
Hawks don't have cap problems till next year. Unless there's a sweet offer the hawks can't refuse, Sharp isn't moving.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:06 AM
JAVO16

I don't know why you guys are thinking about trading Plekanec for any of those 2 guys. Sure, he had a bad year last season but he seems to be back. None of these guys are natural center either. Horton is a right wing first and foremost and Sharp seems to be a winger too. Hawks fan didn't want him as their 2nd line center and were thrilled to see Bolland rise up to take the job because Sharp is a better at wing.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Can someone please expain to me why Chicago would trade key parts of their team when they're going to make a play off run and don't need to make any changes?

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't see why on Earth they would make ANY trade right now unless they get a trade offer that fleeces the other team in question.

Horton is different but still, he is the only marquee name left in Fla and he's tuned his game around. So, once again, why would they trade him unless they're fleecing the other team?

I think if Gainey makes a deal, it's for a player we won't find very appealing for assets we'd rather not give up and then we'll have to play the wait and see game while he gets bashed for making the trade in question. Even if he gets Kovalchuk (won't happen) he'll get crucified for giving up players in the deal that the majority of fans wouldn't want to give up i.e. Subban, Kosty's, Pleks etc... What most fail to realise is that you have to give to get and other GM's aren't stupid (Milbury is the exception) and want very good players and prospects in return for Superstars.

Wait.... Horton and Sharp are superstars?????

And the other day I read someone on a Cammy thread who said Cammy is a star but not a superstar.

Semantics's une chienne, isn't it?

First don't try to make an argument by comparing trying to get Kovalchuk, with trying to get a guy like Sharp or Horton. Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that GMs need to pay up when they are in "get" mode. But its not as simplistic as that. Most of them hold their poker hand close to their chest, and trades are often bizarre because of needs and who's pursuing who or what, depending on all sorts of situations.

For Sharp and Horton, the price won't be the same as for a guy like Kovalchuk, even if he is a soon-to-be UFA.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Habs

Newsflash : Horton heard a who.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
AK is a big body with skill.
AK is pretty average sized. He just looks big compared to our small skilled forwards.

Horton has 2 inches and at least 15 pounds on AK. He's also far more proven. If there was a deal to be made here i'd be all over it from a Habs standpoint.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The size isn't really an issue. Horton is bigger, but he doesn't use his size anymore than Sharp.

The age is also kind of a non-issue since both are in UFA contracts (at the end of their terms, both are a UFA).

Horton has 1-more year on his contract than Sharp.

Neither play centre right now and both have similar (if not the same) FO%.

Both players are 1 for 5 in the shootout.

Both players are within 2 seconds in Production Rate (points per minutes played).

Both play just over 1-minute on the PK. Horton has about 1-minute more per game on the PP.

Basically, I'd say the trade off is 1-year/age (Horton) versus leadership (Sharp).
Horton's production rate on Florida is more impressive than Sharp's on Chicago. I think we can both agree that Sharp sees a lot more opportunities in Chicago than Horton does in Florida.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
this just in- "Bob gainey is interested in anyone who can halp the team get better"
next is
"Bob Gainey is interested in Crosby?"
Exactly. Are we gonna have a new rumor thread with trade proposals everytime one of these sites mentions Gainey is interested in someone.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
I would like to have Versteeg in Mtl.

Right handed
Slick Hands
Very comfortable with medias
Would love the Mtl pressure

He would be a great fit on the team and obviously Chicago wont be able to sign him
didn't Chicago sign Versteeg to an extension this past off season???

3 years $3.083M per

12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

3 years $3.083M per
I think you are right..I thought he was not signed because of Dave Tallon mistakes last summer but yeah..he did sign there

would be such a good fit in montreal :/

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

3 years $3.083M per
Correct,and to think the bruins traded him for Brandon Bochenski

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=436500

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Wait.... Horton and Sharp are superstars?????

And the other day I read someone on a Cammy thread who said Cammy is a star but not a superstar.

Semantics's une chienne, isn't it?

First don't try to make an argument by comparing trying to get Kovalchuk, with trying to get a guy like Sharp or Horton. Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that GMs need to pay up when they are in "get" mode. But its not as simplistic as that. Most of them hold their poker hand close to their chest, and trades are often bizarre because of needs and who's pursuing who or what, depending on all sorts of situations.

For Sharp and Horton, the price won't be the same as for a guy like Kovalchuk, even if he is a soon-to-be UFA.
Horton and Sharp are NOT superstars, but Kovalchik is and that's who I was referring to and why I made the distinction in a seperate paragraph. Those situations and the trade assets surronuding them are obviously different from one another but the fan mentality is the same. That's why every trade proposal is eerily similiar from the Habs perspective. Need I remind you of the Higgins + Halak and a 2nd for ..... ongoing joke rumors. It's always our spare parts for the other teams key players.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
LouisJCloutier

It would be great to have anyone of them two with the Habs. But I wonder if the cost could be too high. Why the Panthers would trade Horton with his performance ? Maybe he doesn't want to be with that team in the future, I don't know. As of Sharp, he seems that Chicago won't make any move this year. Maybe there will be an open window in march.

LouisJCloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Ginu

All this talk of Horton and Sharp is giving me a craving for a double double (double-cupped).

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Miller Time

both are interesting players, but i don't see how we can fit them into our roster (salary-wise).

it would mean either pleks or A.Kost (maybe both) would be going the other way, not too mention whatever other assets to close the deal.

i don't know that either player is enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile... not unless Pouliot turns a corner and becomes a reliable 2nd line centre in the near future

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiler2729 View Post
The Fourth Period is basically just like Eklund. Just stuff made up.

Bob Gainey has proven again and again with his trades that no one knows anything about them until they happen. Kovalev from NYR, Theodore to COL, Huet to WSH, Latendresse to MIN all came out of nowhere.
Maybe because most of his trades are incredibly foolish

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Horton and Sharp are NOT superstars, but Kovalchik is and that's who I was referring to and why I made the distinction in a seperate paragraph. Those situations and the trade assets surronuding them are obviously different from one another but the fan mentality is the same. That's why every trade proposal is eerily similiar from the Habs perspective. Need I remind you of the Higgins + Halak and a 2nd for ..... ongoing joke rumors. It's always our spare parts for the other teams key players.
Not always, now you're lumping everyone into that category. And lately we've heard a lot about sending the K bros... those aren't spare parts.

Old
12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
both are interesting players, but i don't see how we can fit them into our roster (salary-wise).

it would mean either pleks or A.Kost (maybe both) would be going the other way, not too mention whatever other assets to close the deal.

i don't know that either player is enough of an upgrade to make it worthwhile... not unless Pouliot turns a corner and becomes a reliable 2nd line centre in the near future
Both? Plekanec is easily worth any of the two (Sharp and Horton) in one-on-one trade value. All three arguably have about the same value, of course, if Plekanec comes with a signed deal.

Old
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
AK is pretty average sized. He just looks big compared to our small skilled forwards.

Horton has 2 inches and at least 15 pounds on AK. He's also far more proven. If there was a deal to be made here i'd be all over it from a Habs standpoint.
AK plays bigger than Horton.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
No doubt Gainey has talke to both GM's about these players. it is obvious that we need a powerforward. Horton or Sharp would be great. But the reality is we would have to give up a player like AK, SK or a 1st with a guy like D'agostini.

so lets see:

AK46 + 2nd for Horton

or

1st + D'ago for Sharp

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Same link, different thread. /yawn