HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

What are the biggest youth hockey tournaments in the US?

Old
08-13-2009, 01:47 PM
JFA87-66-99

vCash: 500
What are the biggest youth hockey tournaments in the US?

What are the most prestigous youth hockey tournaments in america. Any division or level from Novice all the way up to midget?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
cup4blues
Sarcasm galore

National Championships?

cup4blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2009, 11:38 PM
JFA87-66-99

Besides the National Championships?????

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Professor Dangles

Minnesota's HS Championship

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Bionda
Packers: 11-4

The Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament.
Good stuff, I was lucky enough to catch some streams of the action online.
I hope to attend one day in the future. You can see many NCAA Division I recruits and NHL prospects.

That's the thing about amateur sports world round, it represents a sport at its purest.

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2009, 12:03 AM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

INTERNATIONAL SILVER STICK HOCKEY ASSOCIATION

http://www.silverstick.org/

The founder of the International Silver Stick Association, Mr. Jack Kinsella, was born in Regina, Sask., April 8, 1908. He moved to Ottawa, Ontario as a child and it was in the city that the idea of Silver Stick originated in 1957. The purpose of the venture was to further International relations between Peewee and Bantam age players from Ottawa area and New York State, immediately south of Canada's capital. The theme of the entire program is to promote citizenship and goodwill through the medium of Silver Stick Hockey, and to foster sportsmanship through International competition for youth of all nations.

A trophy was needed for the tournament and one of the founders, Mr. Ernie Temple, is credited with the idea of using along stick instead of a trophy to present the winners. The stick, made of silver and donated by the Ottawa Citizen newspaper, was used at the first Silver Stick Tournament in 1958, in Richmond, Ontario. Relative replicas of the Original Silver Stick Trophy are used in North American Finals.

In 1961, Mr. Kinsella contacted the late Mr. Fred Lamelein of Port Huron, Michigan who then visited with Mr. Kinsella in Ottawa. Following that meeting, Silver Stick Hocky was introduced to southwestern Ontario with a tournament in Watford. Mr. Roy Caley of Watford was responsible for organizing and promoting this event.

In January of 1963, the first North North American Finals Tournament took place in Port Huron, Michigan. On May 19, 1963, a Constitution and Bylaws were adopted and an International Board elected. Port Huron was chosen as the permanent "home" of Silver Stick Hockey and the site of the Peewee and Bantam Finals each year.

In 1969, Sarnia, Ontario was established as the site of the "Atom and Midget" Finals Tournament each year. In 1974, "Juvenile" competition was introduced and the finals were held in Mooretown, Ontario. In subsequent years, new Finals were introduced in St. Clair Shores, Michigan; Newmarket, Ontario; Whitby, Ontario; Forest, Ontario; Pelham, Ontario; Tecumseh, Ontario; and Brighton, Ontario.

Regional Tournaments
Regional Tournaments are held throughout North America in areas reaching from British Colombia, Colorado, Texas, Alabama, and Maryland. The main concentration of Regional Tournaments are in Ontario and north central United States of America.

The winning teams from Regional's then vie for top honors at the Silver Stick Finals here they compete against the winners from the other Regional's.

Regional tournaments are under the direction of the Regional Directors. All Regional Directors must be santioned each year by the Board of Directors.

Players and coaches of the Regional Championship teams wil receive a Regional Silver Stick Championship Pin. All participants will receive a dated souvenir Silver Stick Pin. Other awards presented will vary by tournament.

Note: There are presently three "AAA" Division Regional Tournaments in North America. The other "AAA" teams competing in the Final Tournaments are by invitation and include the elite teams from the various "AAA" leagues.

cupcrazyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2009, 04:35 PM
heyfolks

Silver Sticks is not US based.

This is a tough question because you limit the choices to USA based tourneys. No doubt they will still include foreign teams.

Leaving aside the state/regional and national playoffs, and assuming your focus is on AAA hockey, it is hard to go wrong with the MI based tournaments. That said, I am a bit embarrassed I cannot name them. I have/had 2 kids in AAA for years. When younger the Silver sticks was the a goal, and so was the Marly (toronto). As they grew older the Chicago AAA tourney (I think Bauer) was big for them and of course nationals is always the biggest goal.

Our family has been to a ton of these tournaments. The biggest US title is w/o question nationals(we have been sooooooooooooooo lucky to see both our sons win this title). After that I believe it is the Bauer AAA tournament in Chicago. Minny's is definitely the high school state playoffs.

Over-all for youth hockey the Silver Sticks is big, but the Quebec international Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament is the biggest tournament around.

Specifically to the US follow these 2 principles and you will be fine:

1) Itis all about what teams are in a tournament. If we did not see a good number of certain teams such as Honeybaked,Belle Tire, Little Caesars, Shattuck (over-rated as they are), Brampton, Marlies, Americans, etc. we moved on. Tournament particiption rotates. It is all about who is there.

2) Whichever tournament your kids is playing is the biggest, baddest tournament in the USA, planet, universe, etc. Enjoy THAT one.

Qick story - The national medals are framed with a photo of them receiving the medal and in their rooms. The only 2 displayed for family and friends were choosen by them. It was not the biggest tournament, not even close. Both choose their very first medal. OK, both happend to be plaques, but you get the point. It is a great ride if you sit back, stay quiet and enjoy. Too many get caught up in the politics. My oldest went to successive national camps. We politiely declined future invites and, in fact, our younger son does not particpate in these build up "select" camps. For us, it was not fun. Both are having fun. One is in the WHL now and the other will soon move on to junior hockey.

Good luck and remembertheyare PLAYING hockey not "working" hard to win.

http://www.hockeyshare.com/tournaments/

http://www.hockeyshare.com/tournaments/

heyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Silver Stick is a very good tournament and I'd love to get out to that one someday.

I attended the Jr. Sharks Labor Day Tournament this past weekend in San Jose and this is a terrific tournament that kicks off the new season for Midget Major and top Bantam (AAA and AA) players, especially here in California. There were many scouts and recruiters (as usual) in attendance from the WHL, BCHL, NAHL and USHL, as well as a several NCAA recruiters too.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 12:35 AM
wildeyes

For Midget AAA it would be The Macs in calgary it happens over xmas
the best AAA teams from CAN/US and Euro play in it

Then maybe the ice mania tourney in Prince albert the winner gets a birth in the macs

Teams from San dieago have played same with dallas stars AAA and an all cali team

wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2009, 04:41 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Silver Stick is a very good tournament and I'd love to get out to that one someday.

I attended the Jr. Sharks Labor Day Tournament this past weekend in San Jose and this is a terrific tournament that kicks off the new season for Midget Major and top Bantam (AAA and AA) players, especially here in California. There were many scouts and recruiters (as usual) in attendance from the WHL, BCHL, NAHL and USHL, as well as a several NCAA recruiters too.
San Jose has turned into the best place for tier teams to go for a labor tourny on the west coast, as well as most tourny's throughout the year, its a great rink and its well run.

As for "big" tourny's the need for them has kind of tailed off a little with the formation of "elite" leagues such as the MWEHL and the NAPHL. That said there are still some pretty big tourny's out there like some one said Nike/Bauer and Silver Sticks leads the way, as well as the Chowder Cup. For the most part any tourny held by a "big" Detroit or Chicago team is also good to attend such as this weekends Motor City cup Hosted by Detroit Little Ceasar's I believe has a really nice line-up off Tier-1 teams.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
My son's team is playing this weekend in Toledo, its called Rumble on the Rink. All 1998 AAA Tier 2 teams.

Its being put together by Playmaker Sports USA, http://www.playmakersportsusa.com/

Nike Bauer Invitational in Chicago is another one, coming up in November.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Vanrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
What are the most prestigous youth hockey tournaments in america. Any division or level from Novice all the way up to midget?
The best tournament in Western Canada is the Richmond International Midget Hockey Tournament starts every Boxing day for six days teams from all over North America, 60 teams http://midgethockeytournament.homestead.com/

Vanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanrob View Post
The best tournament in Western Canada is the Richmond International Midget Hockey Tournament starts every Boxing day for six days teams from all over North America, 60 teams http://midgethockeytournament.homestead.com/
Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about this tourney. I know some of the California teams will be there this year. Vanrob, if you're going to be there and can provide a report, I'd really appreciate it.

Old
10-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Pontiac

The Mac's in Calgary would be a better tour. than Richmond. That said the best tour. in US would be the NikeBauer in Chicago. Last yr. was a great tour.

Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
Quote:
Originally Posted by 358 View Post
The Mac's in Calgary would be a better tour. than Richmond. That said the best tour. in US would be the NikeBauer in Chicago. Last yr. was a great tour.
My son's team is playing in the Nike Bauer. The team went last year but this is my son's first year on the team, they all said it was a blast.

My kid is a '98, plays for the Cincinnati Junior Cyclones, they can't wait to get there and have some fun!

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Vanrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about this tourney. I know some of the California teams will be there this year. Vanrob, if you're going to be there and can provide a report, I'd really appreciate it.

I will be there you can always follow along on the web site, as well they have a tournament group on facebook now. Tell your friends that are playing in the tournament to check it out. They may even see photos of California teams from past years.http://midgethockeytournament.homestead.com/

Old
10-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Vanrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionda View Post
The Minnesota High School Hockey Tournament.
Good stuff, I was lucky enough to catch some streams of the action online.
I hope to attend one day in the future. You can see many NCAA Division I recruits and NHL prospects.

That's the thing about amateur sports world round, it represents a sport at its purest.

Its to bad you never see teams from Minnesota travel to tournaments. I guess the High School League is too big, not enough time to travel?

Old
10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanrob View Post
Its to bad you never see teams from Minnesota travel to tournaments. I guess the High School League is too big, not enough time to travel?
The MNHS league teams play a limited season schedule, so unless they can somehow work it in with the academic obligations of both the players AND coaches (a number of MNHS coaches also teach at their respective schools) as well as work within the budgetary constraints set forth by their school districts, it's not possible for them to travel outside of the state.

I hope that sort of answers your question.

Old
11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
MxK1NGS

Nike Bauer Invitational?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:59 PM
4Hockey4

The onehockey international tourney is growing quickly...Summer AAA tourney with 200+ teams from all over the states, and many from cananda, Russia, Finalnd and others....

Team Russia 2001 is coming over this year...son gets to play in that division

Link to onehockey

you can apply as a team or as an individual by January.....most of the teams are invite only

4Hockey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
VINMONTY

Around the New England area, it is the Pre-Draft, Chowder Cup, Jr. Chowder Cup, Mini Chowder Cup.

NAPS Tournament in Buffalo is good too.

VINMONTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Neely74

Summer Hockey Tourney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
The onehockey international tourney is growing quickly...Summer AAA tourney with 200+ teams from all over the states, and many from cananda, Russia, Finalnd and others....

Team Russia 2001 is coming over this year...son gets to play in that division

Link to onehockey

you can apply as a team or as an individual by January.....most of the teams are invite only
The best Summer hockey tourney is the Brick invitational. Exclusive teams only not just anyone can apply. It's also a one year only thing for kids (Age 9/10 only or this year for example is only kids born in the 2000 birth year, next yr 2001 kids, yr after 2002 kids etc..............).

http://brickinvitational.pointstreak...onal/home-page

Only the best teams in North America, INVITE ONLY, my son will be playing this year, just finishing tryouts this month. Most provinces in Canada send one select team from each province to play. check it out. Some of the team names from Canada and hte US are impressive.

Neely74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:54 AM
4Hockey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely74 View Post
The best Summer hockey tourney is the Brick invitational. Exclusive teams only not just anyone can apply. It's also a one year only thing for kids (Age 9/10 only or this year for example is only kids born in the 2000 birth year, next yr 2001 kids, yr after 2002 kids etc..............).

http://brickinvitational.pointstreak...onal/home-page

Only the best teams in North America, INVITE ONLY, my son will be playing this year, just finishing tryouts this month. Most provinces in Canada send one select team from each province to play. check it out. Some of the team names from Canada and hte US are impressive.
Is that in Edmonton or US ?? I was just answering the original poster for US....i'm sure theBrick is good....AAA tourneys (like both of these) are AAA teams from Michigan, Chicago, St Louis, CA and FLA and Canada. the Boston one in June is good also @ the NES, 1/2 the teams are AAA All Star teams from Canada.....(I have seen where they take only the best players from Tier 1 reg. season teams in a region, and put them together for these AAA Summer tourneys)

We haven't ventured to Canada yet for tourneys. might be going to one in Toronto in March with the Lil Flyers

Ahhh just saw the teams, its regional try outs, like most summer teams - but the tourney only allows certain teams/areas to come...so those areas put together the best they can trhough tryouts, and have a tourney...looks sweet....not sure my son could make it to any of the tryouts !! lol

Old
01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
4Hockey4

Pro Hockey Toronto just added to the OneHockey tourney

Old
12-03-2012, 09:40 PM
canucks20

What are some good youth hockey tournaments for 98 aged kids at the Bantam A level in the Northern States

canucks20 is offline   Reply With Quote