HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Avery of old?

Old
12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
MAYO

vCash: 500
Avery of old?

I've been laughed at before for posting certain threads, such as the Demitra idea this summer, but regardless, here's my latest.
Not for nothing, but you have to agree that Avery has probably been our best player this past week. He is skating like the wind, smart with the puck, and creating chances every shift. Which leads me to believe that perhaps he is finally 100% healed from the injury that kept him off the ice at the begining of the season.
Is playing on the first unit his place, not on any other NHL team, but we'll have to make due seeing as though we have one true first liner in Gabby.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:38 PM
ecemleafs

he definitely is playing well. seems to be back to his pain in the ass self as hes always chirpin at players as well.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
He is definitely looking better.

Its about time he got back to his old annoying self. At least one player is getting back to form on this roster...

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Loffen
Legend

Sean's been great for a month now... The edge wasen't quite there at the start of the season though. I think that was a combination because of the knee injury he got during the Pre-season and finding out / adjusting how to play under the "Torts mentality"...

The one thing he needs to work on is the finishing. Easy tap-ins should be in the net...

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Loffen
Legend

delete this post

Last edited by Loffen: 12-07-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Well, I don't see him as a first liner. He should play 3rd line, the energy line, where he's not supposed to create scoring chances but is "allowed" to do so but is rather focused on slowing the other team down. I don't think Avery - Vinny - Gabby would be a very productive line. He brings an aspect to the game the first line doesn't need. I'm not saying that to belittle his talent, I just think he's fitting better in another part of the puzzle.
We rather need a centerman for Gabby, Vinny that creates some space for them. The only one fitting in on the current roster imho is Dubinsky.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
MAYO

I get you Bluenote, but admit, Hank has played much better over the week-end, with the exception to the softy last night. I just can't wait until we get atleast half of these guys firing on all cylenders for one game. Seems to me we are constently looking for the one guy who stands out each game!

Old
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I get you Bluenote, but admit, Hank has played much better over the week-end, with the exception to the softy last night. I just can't wait until we get atleast half of these guys firing on all cylenders for one game. Seems to me we are constently looking for the one guy who stands out each game!
Its the one-threat syndrome, seen it alot as a Ranger fan over the year. Almost like how Henke has to make up for the defense in front of him all these years, Gaborik is the guy our offense use as a crutch. Jagr had to lead the offense most nights few years back.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Its the one-threat syndrome, seen it alot as a Ranger fan over the year. Almost like how Henke has to make up for the defense in front of him all these years, Gaborik is the guy our offense use as a crutch. Jagr had to lead the offense most nights few years back.

exactly what happens when you have a GM who is still building teams circa 1985.
this much worse than the jagr era, i dont think he ever reached the 25% of the offense threshold, thats just sad considering this team is up against the cap. sad sad sad

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
It isnt that hes been spectacular, its that the majority of our other forwards have been bad.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I think he's found his game for sure. I think the injury was part of it, the other part seeing what Torts wanted out of him. Now that Sean seems to balance his edgy self with not taking penalties, he's a great guy to have on the team. All he needs to do is finish his chances but you can say that for pretty much every forward on this team right now.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I cant w8 until January......

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
HockeyBurd*

I don't think he's there yet. But he's playing well. Except when he has an empty net staring him in the face.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:04 PM
mullichicken25

Recently Sean's been doing everything we could logically want/expect from him. He's working hard, getting under our opponent's skin, and picking up the energy on offense...and i've been very critical of him in the past

The problem with sean, unfortunately, is the rest of our roster....its unfortunate that a guy who would be an ideal 3rd liner (even 2nd to a degree) is kind of forced/expected play a higher-line role where his inabilities are more noticeable and frustrating. He cant handle the puck like a 1st liner because he's not one...but its certainly not his fault that he has to play that role sometimes....the same thing can be said about Callahan too

but that's the hand this team is dealt right now personnel-wise, its no secret that our team is missing a few top line forwards

on another note, i still don't understand why him or Callahan see powerplay time, they have grit which is helpful but they really lack the skill that needs to accompany that grit to make it beneficial to a powerplay

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:32 AM
MAYO

Mullichicken, I couldn't agree with you any more so in regards to certain players getting playing time on our power play, except for the fact that you can't have guys playing the full 2 minutes, and to boot, against the Redwings, Avery's trio was more effective then our top unit. It all comes down to us having one legitimate first liner on this team and a handfull of second and third liners. We all know that if it wasn't for three huge contracts the dynamics of this team would be very different, and I mean scary. Just think of what we could go out and get with Drury, Redden, and Rosie's money. Call me insane, but looking at our core of young players we have something to build around, with the right GM at the helm ofcourse.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Loffen
Legend

What I like about Aves looking away from his agitation element, is that he's a pretty versatile forward... He's not a liabilty when given top-6 minutes and he's skilled enough to keep up with Gabs for example.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
What I like about Aves looking away from his agitation element, is that he's a pretty versatile forward... He's not a liabilty when given top-6 minutes and he's skilled enough to keep up with Gabs for example.
He sure can be when he takes bad penalties. Lets not forget who we're talking about here.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Loffen
Legend

He hasen't taken a lot foolish penalties so far though. Not by his standards anyway...

Old
12-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
He hasen't taken a lot foolish penalties so far though. Not by his standards anyway...
Not alot, but he did take a stupid lazy penalty last game. He knows he's judged differently, but he still gets upset when they call him for something that could go either way. He's not as smart as he thinks he is. I can relate

Old
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
MAYO

When it comes to Avery and penalties it is to be expected. He plays on edge every shift. But he also creates a lot of power plays as well. What burns me is watching this guy take a beating that normally the refs would call, but because it's Ave they let it slide. That being said, I can't well imagine the frustration this guy has to play with every bloody game. When ever I talk to guys the support other teams, Avery's name always comes up, and it's the same comment, you hate to play against this guy, but would love to have him on your team. And you can't tell me that those of you who watch every game, sit up in your chair when he's on the ice with the anticipation that something is going to happen. Is he of value, hell yes, does anyone remember when Dallas rolled into a little more then a year ago, Avery had his hand in that game against us, and then some.

Old
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

We've seen Avery's act on and off for almost 3 years now.

Hes a very good player about a third of the time. Thats when he toeing the line and playing like he has been for the last few games.

Unfortunately, another third of the time hes kind of invisible...and another third of the time, hes stepping straight over that line and doing something stupid.

The almost mythic admiration he has from the majority of the Rangers fan base is one of the stranger things I've seen over my last 20+ years as a Ranger fan.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Yes we expect the unexpected with Avery and he'll take his penalties, but his problem will always be taking it too far at the worst possible time.

That said, I do like the guy and I can relate, I played the game in a similar way and USA hockey didn't find it 'entertaining' at all

Old
12-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not alot, but he did take a stupid lazy penalty last game.
That was not a lazy penalty imo.

Just prior to the penalty, AA didn't dump the puck in which caused a turnover and a 2-on-1 against. Sean didn't get proper positioning on Abdelkader because of that...

Abdelkader totally sold that call as well. Since when can a tap on the arm make you fall?

Old
12-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Loffen
Legend

Anyway, Sean saying hello to Bert was amusing...

Old
12-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Prusted

Yeah he was great until he whiffed on that wide open net on Sunday.

Prusted is offline   Reply With Quote