HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

John-Michael Liles

Old
12-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
John-Michael Liles

What could the Avs get for him and what teams would be interested?

Keep in mind that the Avs won't be looking for veteren players or players with big contracts.

They'll probably want young roster players, prospects, or draft picks. Biggest need is probably wingers, especially on the left side.

Liles has 9 points in 19 games this year. After this season, he has two more years left on his deal with a cap hit of 4.2 million.

?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:34 AM
thedoctor
                    

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
What could the Avs get for him and what teams would be interested?

Keep in mind that the Avs won't be looking for veteren players or players with big contracts.

They'll probably want young roster players, prospects, or draft picks. Biggest need is probably wingers, especially on the left side.

Liles has 9 points in 19 games this year. After this season, he has two more years left on his deal with a cap hit of 4.2 million.

?
just as many takers as the liles + wolski package I posted about the other day.

Still, I would have expected more Stars and Devils fans here. Both need PMD badly, afaik.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I imagine that most believe that Colorado, given its place in the standings, won't contemplate trading JML and that the OP is out to lunch.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

With so many UFA, i think Rutherford will try to get Liles in offseason. Maybe on draft day. He really likes Liles.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
With so many UFA, i think Rutherford will try to get Liles in offseason. Maybe on draft day. He really likes Liles.
liles+wolski+1st
for
STAAAL!

avs centre depth is as follows
Staal
Stastny
Duchene
RoR

all bow to our amz centre depth!

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
liles+wolski+1st
for
STAAAL!

avs centre depth is as follows
Staal
Stastny
Duchene
RoR

all bow to our amz centre depth!
We still need Wolski on the wing. How about:

Liles + Ryan O'Reilly + Cameron Gaunce + 1st?

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I imagine that most believe that Colorado, given its place in the standings, won't contemplate trading JML and that the OP is out to lunch.
Actually a lot of fans are in agreement that we should trade Liles.

Great post though. Brings a lot to the discussion.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post

I think it was sarcasm. Why in the world do we need another center? Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly as the 1-2-3 should not change for a long time.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post

Talk about an overpayment galore there. Wtf? EDIT: Wait... Eric or Jordan?

Avalanche are one of the few teams with WAY to many puck moving defenders in their system (Liles, Cumiskey, Shattenkirk, Elliot, Cohen, Holos and Barrie)

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Talk about an overpayment galore there. Wtf? EDIT: Wait... Eric or Jordan?

Avalanche are one of the few teams with WAY to many puck moving defenders in their system (Liles, Cumiskey, Shattenkirk, Elliot, Cohen, Holos and Barrie)
eric staal

and yes i was being amazingly sarcastic with my post earlier, the avs need to trade for wingers, not centres i always forget the :sarc asm: guy when i post

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Foote's absence revealed COL's desperate need for toughness on D.
CAR lost Corvo and needs a shake-up.

Liles for Gleason?

Stupid Sexy Flanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

At this point, I don't think Colorado has any intention of moving Liles. It's not a good idea, unless another veteran defenseman is coming back. Brett Clark, Ruslan Salei, and Adam Foote's contracts all expire at the end of this season. After those three, Hannan and Liles are the only true veterans on the blueline for the Avs. Taking the crapshoot option of icing 5 very young defensemen with Hannan seems like a recipe for disaster.

Contrary to the hopes and desires of some of the Avalanche faithful, Cumiskey is nowhere near being a comparable replacement, and I think the notion of having some of the younger defensemen in the system making the jump to the bigs next season is overly pessimistic considering how long its takes most defensemen to develop into regular NHL defensemen.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:29 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post

Liles for Gleason?
Done for CO. That's a really good trade for both sides, imo, but I'll wait to hear what Carolina fans have to say..

Old
12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
At this point, I don't think Colorado has any intention of moving Liles. It's not a good idea, unless another veteran defenseman is coming back. Brett Clark, Ruslan Salei, and Adam Foote's contracts all expire at the end of this season. After those three, Hannan and Liles are the only true veterans on the blueline for the Avs. Taking the crapshoot option of icing 5 very young defensemen with Hannan seems like a recipe for disaster.

Contrary to the hopes and desires of some of the Avalanche faithful, Cumiskey is nowhere near being a comparable replacement, and I think the notion of having some of the younger defensemen in the system making the jump to the bigs next season is overly pessimistic considering how long its takes most defensemen to develop into regular NHL defensemen.
I disagree. While Cumiskey is definitely not a replacement for Liles on the PP at this point, I can't see us being able to properly develop Shattenkirk AND Cumiskey on the same team as Liles. Too many tiny defenseman. Plus, Quincey is effective on a PP point and Sacco loves to put forwards on the point too.

The veteran side of things...well, yeah, we'd be icing a young D. But Quincey is essentially a vet at this point, and I think Foote will return for one more year as well. Add Cumiskey, Wilson, Shattenkirk, and another of our up and comers, and I don't see where Liles fits.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I disagree. While Cumiskey is definitely not a replacement for Liles on the PP at this point, I can't see us being able to properly develop Shattenkirk AND Cumiskey on the same team as Liles. Too many tiny defenseman.
Possibly. I think Shattenkirk is earmarked for the AHL unless he proves otherwise at camp. (hell, maybe he'll stay at BU)

Quote:
The veteran side of things...well, yeah, we'd be icing a young D. But Quincey is essentially a vet at this point, and I think Foote will return for one more year as well. Add Cumiskey, Wilson, Shattenkirk, and another of our up and comers, and I don't see where Liles fits.
Gah, how did I forget Quincey in the mix.

But I still stand by the premise that now's not the time to consider dealing Liles since we don't know what we have on our hands next season. Who knows, Shattenkirk may not even be ready to get a long term taste of the NHL until Liles's contract is nearing its conclusion.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:

Liles for Gleason?
The problem with that is, Liles' absence also revealed that while we have lots of PMD in the system, the current team sucks without Liles on the PP. But this is definitely fair value trade that I'd look at.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Erickkelly26

Quote:

Liles for Gleason?
Done!!

NO TAKEBACKS

Erickkelly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 04:52 PM
PeterTheGreat

If it's true Dallas is looking for a PMD, how about Liles for Fistric and Brunnstrom?

Brunnstrom is stuck behind some other really good wingers in Eriksson, Neal, Benn, Morrow, etc.

How has Fistric played this year anyways? I remember how he was with the Giants, but that was a while back. The Avs need more young defensive defencemen, because they have plenty of offensive ones (Quincey, Cumiskey, Shattenkirk, Elliott, Cohen, Barrie etc).

PeterTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I think this would be a great swap for both teams. I would do it from a Colorado and Carolina prospective.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote