HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Flames: The Playoffs Come in December. Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-08-2009, 01:48 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
You wouldn't think its fair to say that Calgary dominated play tonight?

The Kings have been "bending but not breaking" since Game 2 of the season, and tonight it sure seemed like they got by on pure grit and timely saves.

That post dinged by Calgary with about 10 minutes left was godsend, because with the little offense the Kings were generating, it might have been a rough ending.
No. It isn't. Not fair. Not accurate. Calgary had the puck a lot until the 9 minute mark of the first. They did not dominate. The Kings controlled the game for the rest of the 1st, most of the second and Calgary got and kept the momentum for the first 1/2 of the third. If you had to measure it, I split the 1st, give the Kings the second and give a slight edge to Calgary in the third though they got nothing, I mean NOTHING in the last 5 minutes of the third. Bending not breaking? Not the game I saw. I think you are mistaking Calgary having the puck in our zone in the beginning of the game with them controlling the play. The Kings kept them to the outside and gave them almost no room to operate.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:51 AM
timmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Sounded like... oh... ummm... 7 people.

Its funny, if 18,000 people are there, 10,000 will yell. If there are 10,000 people there, 10 will yell. And yet, those 10,000 that are at the games no one is at are mostly the same people who are yelling when there is a full house...

...odd.
If I could only afford to see a game live at SC I'd yell constantly. Then again, I'd have to go half way around the world for that...

Btw, how did Kopi look? He hasn't scored in like 12 games or something :S

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:52 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
For those interested, the post game article is up on http://www.lakingsnews.com
good stuff as always Thanks for posting

Beating a Canadian team always feels better

GO KINGS!

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:53 AM
imissgretzky

Oh yeah, Heidi was nowhere to be found tonight. Hopefully she'll be back.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:58 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
Oh yeah, Heidi was nowhere to be found tonight. Hopefully she'll be back.
... along with Allison and Deadmarsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Btw, how did Kopi look? He hasn't scored in like 12 games or something :S
... He's still struggling. Missed the net often, and was poor on the draw -- but overall he looked like he had more energy than he did against St. Louis.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Bending not breaking? Not the game I saw. I think you are mistaking Calgary having the puck in our zone in the beginning of the game with them controlling the play. The Kings kept them to the outside and gave them almost no room to operate.
I used the term "bend not break" earlier because the Flames had numerous extended offensive zone shifts in this game and played in the forward zone rather desperately. If Kings fans were on edge tonight, right there was a major reason. I agree with another poster who said this game would have been a loss for the Kings last year. The Kings would have "broken" more easily. This year, not so much because this team has the troops to make the right defensive plays at the right time, and they did all game long, when facing their biggest challenges.

In my view, Calgary is an elite team in this league. They are as hard working as anyone in the NHL, very tough in board battles, very strong end to end passing and great breakouts, defense, goaltending, character, as well as Jarome Iginla who is an x-factor in any game he plays. Yeah the Kings "bent" but didn't break and I for one am happy to see it against a team like the Flames.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:03 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I hear ya on the long season, but just look at Parse, he is truly playing every game like it's his golden opportunity and really wants to stay in the NHL. I don't see any sign of a drop off in his intensity.
That's what I love about his game. Players are gonna cool off no doubt, Just look at Kopitar, but I just hope he can continue that intensity throughout the year. Would love for him to do well, actually anyone for that matter. This team needs others to contribute if the top line's not scoring much and I like the fact that Simmonds and Parse are stepping up.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:03 AM
backhander

quick was awesome....it seemed like some kings fan didn't think they could pull this off.

what's wrong with kopitar. i really hope it's just getting symth back. doughty gave him a great drop pass in the third with a not so great shot from kopi...oh well...we got the two points...great game.

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Johnny Utah

I just sat row 4 at this game and it was sick...Matt Greene was def the unsung hero...even my buddy commented and he knows nothing about hockey....he said that "Greene dude is a warrior." Stoll was throwing all the heavy hits....

Calgary looks a lot bigger than us....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:08 AM
bland

Quote:
No. It isn't. Not fair. Not accurate. Calgary had the puck a lot until the 9 minute mark of the first. They did not dominate. The Kings controlled the game for the rest of the 1st, most of the second and Calgary got and kept the momentum for the first 1/2 of the third. If you had to measure it, I split the 1st, give the Kings the second and give a slight edge to Calgary in the third though they got nothing, I mean NOTHING in the last 5 minutes of the third. Bending not breaking? Not the game I saw. I think you are mistaking Calgary having the puck in our zone in the beginning of the game with them controlling the play. The Kings kept them to the outside and gave them almost no room to operate.
Wow, I completely disagree - Calgary had far better scoring chances throughout the game, with the Kings playing their best only in the last five minutes of the game.

It was a trench battle, with the Kings battling admirably, but I don't think you are giving Calgary nearly enough credit

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:09 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Did anyone else at the game take note of this?

Quote:
Dieter runs a tight ship, and rarely strays from the norm. Typically right before the puck drops to start a period, there are three bells that are played. Ding. Ding. Ding. For the opening face-off of the game, he throws in a prolonged yell of “Are you ready?!?!”

Tonight, however, I heard something I NEVER want to hear at another Kings’ game. After perhaps the worst performance of both countries national anthem’s by a woman whose name I would prefer not to know (some lowlights – singing “so gallantly strAming” and “home of the brah-ave”), I settled into my seat expecting the usual “Are you ready?!?!” Not that I care for it very much, but it works and its comfortable. Instead, my ears were assaulted by a different voice. A woman’s voice.
The rest at http://lakingsnews.com/2009/12/07/a-cochlear-plea/

Pissed me off.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhander View Post
quick was awesome....it seemed like some kings fan didn't think they could pull this off.

what's wrong with kopitar. i really hope it's just getting symth back. doughty gave him a great drop pass in the third with a not so great shot from kopi...oh well...we got the two points...great game.
Ahem

Let me introduce you to one of my posts in another thread long before the game

Quote:
There are a lot of chicken littles around here.

Have you forgotten that we have beaten arguably the best teams in hockey this season? Does anyone remember the most recent example - a victory over Chicago?

We play well, we can beat any team on any given night. There are no exceptions to that rule.

Go Kings!
Some of us never had a doubt.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:16 AM
imissgretzky

Does anyone else think Kopi doesn't look as strong physically as he did earlier in the season? I'm wondering if he is keeping up with his Lombardi imposed work-out regimen during the season or is he falling back into old habits?

He just doesn't look as strong with the puck as he did earlier. I'm starting to wonder if he's just not capable of driving to the net like he was before. He seems to be being pushed around a lot more now.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:17 AM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Was heidi on tv today? Just asking as I didn't watch the game tonight.

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:

Pissed me off.
They are replaying the game and I clearly heard the "ARE YOU READY?" at the outset of the game before the puck drop...so...

Old
12-08-2009, 02:18 AM
redcard

Quote:

Pissed me off.
The 3 bells is just before the 3rd period. Its usually only 1 bell for the start of the first, and 2 for the start of the 2nd. Overtime receives 4 bells.

redcard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:20 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
Does anyone else think Kopi doesn't look as strong physically as he did earlier in the season? I'm wondering if he is keeping up with his Lombardi imposed work-out regimen during the season or is he falling back into old habits?

He just doesn't look as strong with the puck as he did earlier. I'm starting to wonder if he's just not capable of driving to the net like he was before. He seems to be being pushed around a lot more now.
Its all in Kopi's head.

For a minute I thought there was some credence to those who proposed that he is playing hurt, but playing hurt doesn't cause you make 3 extra and highly unecessary stick handles. His confidence is shot, and its been getting worse and worse. Hopefully that last game was rock bottom for his offensive confidence, and he can finally start trending upward again.

But yeah, its a mental thing. It looks to me like he isn't trusting his instincts, as he is rarely making the decisive plays that he was earlier in the season and during his rookie year.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
Was heidi on tv today? Just asking as I didn't watch the game tonight.
Yes. She showed us her elbows as part of an apology to Kings fans. Too bad you missed it.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:21 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
They are replaying the game and I clearly heard the "ARE YOU READY?" at the outset of the game before the puck drop...so...
Well, you heard wrong, because it wasn't there. I discussed it with several people around me. We didn't all make up the same thing in our heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
The 3 bells is just before the 3rd period. Its usually only 1 bell for the start of the first, and 2 for the start of the 2nd. Overtime receives 4 bells.
My mistake, I'll fix that. Not the point though.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
The things you miss due to drinking beer.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Well, you heard wrong, because it wasn't there.
You are high. I specifically heard it as did Mrs. Zad. I rewound the game just to see if it was there.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:24 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
You are high. I specifically heard it as did Mrs. Zad. I rewound the game just to see if it was there.
Mine ears doth hear what they heard. Your tv knows not of which it plays.

I want to hear from someone who was there.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Is Christina Aguilera a butter face? Every time I think I have this figured out, she throws a curve ball.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:31 AM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Kings Vision: 12/07/09 - Post Game Interviews

12/07/09 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Simmonds, Scuderi, Quick and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 12/7/09.

Click HERE to watch!

12/07/09 - Post Game - Flames

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Iginla, Kiprusoff and Coach Sutter of the Flames spoke with the media following the game on 12/7/09.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:42 AM
wicker

Stoll, Greene, and Quick played a nice game. Scuds looked good, too.

And for the first time in a couple of games, Jones only played ten minutes or so. Finally.

wicker is offline   Reply With Quote