HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues (11-10-5) at Kings (17-10-2) 12/5/09 3 PM CT

Old
12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Stang

vCash: 500
another shootout win!

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
EOM

Victory!! Andy Mac has been fantastic in the shootout this year.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

How close was that?!?!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
TerminatorBlue

Good stuff,Now lets stop giving up a lead for now on.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
ChicagoBlues

Mason was amazing in the shootout. Two great saves. He's got quick boots.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Robb_K

I'm glad for the shootout win. But, The Blues should have not allowed The Kings a point. I'd rather see the team play ALL OUT-aggressive puck control, no dumping the puck out of the zone-when trying to "protect" the lead. Don't even allow the opponent to pull the goalie, because you are in their end. That smacks to me of Murray's lead protection strategy. Put the puck in the opponent's end. They can't score from there. They can't even pull their goalie. If they do, you score an empty-netter. No dumping the puck out and having 5 skaters sit back in their zone to "protect" their goal.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 06:24 PM
EOM

By my count, the Blues have won three out of their last four shootouts.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:24 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

VIDEO: 12/05/09 - Post Game Interviews

12/05/09 - Post Game - Blues

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Mason, McDonald, Backes and Coach Murray of the Blues spoke with the media following the game on 12/5/09.

Click HERE to watch!
12/05/09 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Brown, Quick and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 12/5/09.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 07:29 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
The Blues looked totally gassed and non-aggressive in the OT. Nice to get the extra point however they can, though. Things are getting better, but you'd sure like to see them quit qiving away points late in games.

Mason didn't have his best game, although in the early part of the game he made some fantastic saves. Our defense gave up way too many quality scoring chances. I can't think of one guy in particular, just seemed like a team effort.

Guys I absolutely have to have on my team:
Steen: Is there a guy with more hustle and that does a better job on the boards? If he had more finish (and I'm not convinced he may not still find that) he'd be big-time.

Perron: He's added defensive hustle to his game. He's going to the dirty ice, not a shred of intimidation, and is excellent drawing penalties. His hockey sense has taken on more of a team dynamic, and that's probably the biggest thing that's allowed him to succeed more this season. Example: on the Tkachuk goal he pulled up and allowed his teammates to get into position. Something good happens.

EJ: goes without saying.

It was nice to see Boyes and Kariya get some pucks into the net. Boyes' goal and SO tally were both a bit lucky, but its really about time he starts to benefit from some luck. Evidently Kariya was playing with the flu. It was great to see him out there getting rewarded. I hope this is a sign that both of these players are finding a nose for the net.

Heck, the PP even looked markedly more dangerous, and even managed to score one! I think the Blues are poised to put together a nice run and get back into the mix. Whatever mental molasses was holding the team down seems to be fading away.

Oh, and I can't forget. Its great to see Berglund playing with some jump in his game. I expect to see him break out in the next couple games as well if he keeps that up.

For Colaiacovo's goal last night, the players on the ice included:
Perron, Oshie, Berglund. Although it wasn't the grinders that were on the ice tonight in OT, the Blues seemed to lose their aggressiveness quite a bit. I'm going to assume they were just exhausted at the end of a physical game.

Oh, and Kopitar's line is sick. I love watching that guy play.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 06:42 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The Blues looked totally gassed and non-aggressive in the OT. Nice to get the extra point however they can, though. Things are getting better, but you'd sure like to see them quit qiving away points late in games.

Mason didn't have his best game, although in the early part of the game he made some fantastic saves. Our defense gave up way too many quality scoring chances. I can't think of one guy in particular, just seemed like a team effort.

Guys I absolutely have to have on my team:
Steen: Is there a guy with more hustle and that does a better job on the boards? If he had more finish (and I'm not convinced he may not still find that) he'd be big-time.

Perron: He's added defensive hustle to his game. He's going to the dirty ice, not a shred of intimidation, and is excellent drawing penalties. His hockey sense has taken on more of a team dynamic, and that's probably the biggest thing that's allowed him to succeed more this season. Example: on the Tkachuk goal he pulled up and allowed his teammates to get into position. Something good happens.

EJ: goes without saying.

It was nice to see Boyes and Kariya get some pucks into the net. Boyes' goal and SO tally were both a bit lucky, but its really about time he starts to benefit from some luck. Evidently Kariya was playing with the flu. It was great to see him out there getting rewarded. I hope this is a sign that both of these players are finding a nose for the net.

Heck, the PP even looked markedly more dangerous, and even managed to score one! I think the Blues are poised to put together a nice run and get back into the mix. Whatever mental molasses was holding the team down seems to be fading away.

Oh, and I can't forget. Its great to see Berglund playing with some jump in his game. I expect to see him break out in the next couple games as well if he keeps that up.

For Colaiacovo's goal last night, the players on the ice included:
Perron, Oshie, Berglund. Although it wasn't the grinders that were on the ice tonight in OT, the Blues seemed to lose their aggressiveness quite a bit. I'm going to assume they were just exhausted at the end of a physical game.

Oh, and Kopitar's line is sick. I love watching that guy play.
2MM, great observations as always. Steen has been very noticeable in the last two games with excellent board work and puck possession in both zones. The one thing I'm noticing about EJ is that he's developing the MacInnis-type aura...everyone has been tossing the puck his way to bail themselves out of trouble. It's led to some anxious moments, but it's great to see the trust he's already earning.

By the way, 2 Minute Minor - "Moderator"? Heaven Help Us!

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post
2MM, great observations as always. Steen has been very noticeable in the last two games with excellent board work and puck possession in both zones. The one thing I'm noticing about EJ is that he's developing the MacInnis-type aura...everyone has been tossing the puck his way to bail themselves out of trouble. It's led to some anxious moments, but it's great to see the trust he's already earning.

I grudgingly share my "somewhat" benign dictatorship. At least until my credit clears enough for the Libyans to take the job.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmitchell19 View Post

Yeah, I just couldn't pass up the great salary. Now no messing around or I'll have to learn how to assign infractions already.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Fred Murtz

Finally I get to see a Blues winner in SoCal. The last 3 Blues games I’ve gone to here in SoCal we’ve come up short so it was nice to see us best the Kings who’ve been playing well lately. This was my first trip to the Staples Center for a hockey game, I saw the Eagles there a couple years ago but I usually go to Ducks games since there are less murders in the OC (Orange County).

With the USC game I decided to take the MetroRail to the game. The train ride down was a death march, missed my connection and had to shanghai some Tijuana taxi in El Monte to make it just in the nick of time. Whatever it takes baby!!!

1st King’s goal was on Eeej, he was chasing the puck hard and just let up causing PK to try and save the day. Not sure if PK tripped or was tripped but once he went down it was in the net. I was in the low corner where the 2nd wounded duck goal tumbled over Mason’s shoulder. Ugly goal.

Teeej was his usual kamikaze. Berg just looks lost out there. I did see him finish a couple hard checks but every time he got the puck he was going the wrong way or reversing to a backhand only to get pinched off. Frenchie really gets some good chances almost every shift.

Funny moment of the day was Perron losing his stick and floundering around for it and ending up on his knees. You just don't see that kind of comedy much

The Blues just do not have that extra gear when needed late in games to fend off the other teams. Even the KIngs fans next to me sensed the Blues were about to blow it late. Our passing is our other weak area, just too many soft passes and passes to areas where they are simply no Blues.

PK was 1st star as expected, heck of a game. I got a Luuuuuuc bobblehead for my ordeal. It was odd not seeing more folks in the seats on a day to honor Lucky. Had some fine prime rib at Lawry’s next door on the way out. Jim Beam’s were $7 a pop inside the stadium. Bathroom lines weren’t bad. Parking ranged from $7 to $20 around the Staples Center.

I met one Blues fan with a Jackman jersey and saw another cute girl with a 3rd jersey on but didn’t get to talk to her. Saw another Blues jersey going out so this game had more Blues fans than the Ducks/Blues games even with a lesser crowd.

Ticket $49
Train ticket $23
Cab Fare for train screwup – $35

Watching a Blues winner = priceless

Lousy cellphone pic of the Blues' celebration at center ice. The Blues stayed huddled up at center ice after the Boyes goal for what seemed like a long time. Not sure what the occasion was. Anyone?

Check the Kings fans in the yellow jersey at the glass, many of the King's fans thought they had this one.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Does anyone know who the 3rd shooter would have been?

Old
12-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Does anyone know who the 3rd shooter would have been?
Wouldn't it have been Oshie (similar to previous SO win)? Or Kariya? Or Perron? Surely not Tkacuk or Backes.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:38 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Wouldn't it have been Oshie (similar to previous SO win)? Or Kariya? Or Perron? Surely not Tkacuk or Backes.
Probably Oshie, although Kariya was hot (don't those lists get turned in prior to the game?). I just didn't hear it announced in the broadcast and was curious.

Since Oshie was successful in the prior attempt (and won the game) he was probably still on the list. I assume these lists were based on practice performance in their SO drills.

Old
12-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Fred Murtz

Oshie was announced as the third shooter at the game.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote