HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: New York, December 8th, 1980

Old
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
OT: New York, December 8th, 1980

RIP John Lennon....

This is for a project I'm working on.... where were you when you heard John Lennon had been shot?

One of New Yorks most intense moments. Still miss him.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I was only 6, but I remember my parents being crushed by the news, they were huge fans, especially my dad who met Lennon on the subway just a few years before his death.

RIP

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I was away at school.... it was numbing. I had always heard about the intense feelings people experienced after JFK had been shot. They all remembered the very moment that they heard the news and time stood still....

I 've been to the Mandala across from the Dakota many times. There always seems to be people there playing and singing Johns songs. Quite an ongoing expression of Love

Old
12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
RIP John Lennon....

This is for a project I'm working on.... where were you when you heard John Lennon had been shot?

One of New Yorks most intense moments. Still miss him.
I assume that since this is a project you are working on, you want both feel good answers and other type answers?

If not, let me know and I will delete my post.

I'd rather he not have gotten shot, but to me, he was such a non-factor in my life that I do not remember where I was when he got shot, nor did I really care at the time. Had it not been for your post I couldn't have even told you the day, month or year that he was shot.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
HAPPY HOUR

I was at a party in HS.. I remember it was very cold that night and I was drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon that we took from my buddies fathers garage. Bad night all around.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I assume that since this is a project you are working on, you want both feel good answers and other type answers?

I'd rather he not have gotten shot, but to me, he was such a non-factor in my life that I do not remember where I was when he got shot, nor did I really care at the time. Had it not been for your post I couldn't have even told you the day, month or year that he was shot.
Honest answers are always appreciated

Old
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

You were more of a Righteous Brothers kind of guy, right?

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Sockosensei

I was just turning three, so i was unaware of John's existence as a person, even though I already knew every single Beatles song.

The most vivid memory is from around 1987 or 1988: a radio station played 'Imagine' on the anniversary of John's death. By that point I was about 10 so I could understand the words and I knew very clearly who John was. I was completely crushed; for me it was as if he'd just been shot.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

How about we keep this one about the OP, not about personal differences? If you guys want to argue over semantics, take it to PM's.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 07:30 PM
mhurley

It was a Monday and I was at home when I heard the news on the radio. They initially said he'd been shot. I switched from NEW-FM to CBS-AM News Radio 88 and prayed that Lennon would be okay. My Mom was watching the TV and wouldn't change channels. Back in the day most homes had only one TV.

I called my best friend and we were both crying. It bummed everyone out for weeks. A few days later I met a girl I knew who was an emergency room nurse at Roosevelt/St Luke's. She was there that night. She told me Lennon was DOA. She handed Yoko his personal effects in a paper bag, as was the custom.

I went to the memorial service in Central Park at the bandshell. It was very emotional. When they started playing "Imagine" after the silence, people, myself included were crying audibly.

December 8th is a date I use to mark history. The Kennedy Assasination. Woodstock. The resignation of Nixon. The end of the War in Nam. John Lennon. The Challenger. Lockerbee. The Fall of the Berlin Wall. The Cup in 94. The death of Princess Diana and 9/11.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
It was a Monday and I was at home when I heard the news on the radio. They initially said he'd been shot. I switched from NEW-FM to CBS-AM News Radio 88 and prayed that Lennon would be okay. My Mom was watching the TV and wouldn't change channels. Back in the day most homes had only one TV.

I called my best friend and we were both crying. It bummed everyone out for weeks. A few days later I met a girl I knew who was an emergency room nurse at Roosevelt/St Luke's. She was there that night. She told me Lennon was DOA. She handed Yoko his personal effects in a paper bag, as was the custom.

I went to the memorial service in Central Park at the bandshell. It was very emotional. When they started playing "Imagine" after the silence, people, myself included were crying audibly.

December 8th is a date I use to mark history. The Kennedy Assasination. Woodstock. The resignation of Nixon. The end of the War in Nam. John Lennon. The Challenger. Lockerbee. The Fall of the Berlin Wall. The Cup in 94. The death of Princess Diana and 9/11.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

But I'm not the only one
And the world will live as one
Thanks for contributing. I recently went to the Lennon exhibit at the Annex in Soho. That paper bag remains unopened. It was actually on display.....