HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings v. Flames: The Playoffs Come in December. Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-08-2009, 02:44 AM
ukyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I don't know about that -- if the whole game was like tonight's first period, where the Flames were unmistakeably outworking the Kings, maybe you could say that.

However, the second and third periods were a different story as the Kings brought their A game defensively in those two periods, and played a hell of a "bend but don't break" game.
I don't know about you, but to me "bend but don't break" is a euphemism for "we should have lost." All I'm saying is that the Sharks SHOULD have won on Saturday and the Flames SHOULD have won tonight. Not complaining, just putting on my PSP hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
You are on drugs.

Seriously.

Check into rehab now. I was sitting 2 feet from my 62 inch TV and watched every second of this game. So, what game was I watching? This one.
Just got back from rehab. What did I miss? The Kings stealing two points from a team that outplayed them for most of the night? Sweet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the result. But if we play in a best-of-seven against Calgary like we did tonight, we're going to end up on the short end of the seven. Granted, our performance was light-years better than the last time we got crapped on from a great height by the Flames, but that difference means out in six or seven games instead of four.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:51 AM
123slam

When Kopi and Olli got into that little scrum after the last whistle, I was reminded of this:

hahahahhaahhahaahhahaa such a classic

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:06 AM
grncobra76

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
When Kopi and Olli got into that little scrum after the last whistle, I was reminded of this:

hahahahhaahhahaahhahaa such a classic
That was the best hfboards thread ever, so funny.

I thought the Kings played great but there were some "bend it don't break it" chasing around in their own zone. Calgary had some great forchecking going every so often in the game.
IMO Moller did OK on the 4th line played w/ energy and made that line a bit more dangerous.

Hope the Kings bring their "A" game on WED cause it's SJ.

grncobra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:24 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

This was a great win for the Kings coming off of a disappointing SOL against the Blues. They got two more rough games ahead before Smyth is scheduled to come back.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Did anyone else at the game take note of this?

The rest at http://lakingsnews.com/2009/12/07/a-cochlear-plea/

Pissed me off.
I hate that crap, I think they've played it for the last 3-5 games. I even commented to my mom about how badly that sucks.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:33 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Did anyone else at the game take note of this?

The rest at http://lakingsnews.com/2009/12/07/a-cochlear-plea/

Pissed me off.
Then don't go to the game? Is this a real complaint?

Old
12-08-2009, 04:48 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Good game. We have to win games like this. It's significant that we are winning games like this. It can't be stated enough, but last year we lose this game.

I'm ready to give up on Kopitar finishing anywhere near the top of the league in scoring. Bummer.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Defgarden

I have to agree that the Flames "should" have won this. I think they played a slightly better overall game, but were a few posts and bad bounces away from a win. But that's not to say I don't think the Kings played well. They did. They won, they held on to a lead in the 3rd, and that is what ultimately matters. Quick was ridiculous. But I think the Flames were the better team, by a little anyway.

You know what else though. Jarret Stoll has been playing his ass off the last 10 games or so. For some reason, he's been standing out in my mind as far as his play, and it's good to see him get a 1st star last night.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
You wouldn't think its fair to say that Calgary dominated play tonight?

The Kings have been "bending but not breaking" since Game 2 of the season, and tonight it sure seemed like they got by on pure grit and timely saves.

That post dinged by Calgary with about 10 minutes left was godsend, because with the little offense the Kings were generating, it might have been a rough ending.
agree. The Flames 5 on 5 was more effective than the Kings PP. the Kings were chasing the puck all game long (at least from the portions I saw).

Obviously I'm glad for the win, but the ice was tilted toward the Kings zone for the vast majority of the game. Last year, the Kings lose this game, easy.

Like someone else posted, I can't bellieve Quick was not a star of the game, let alone the #1 star. Quick was AWESOME.

I'm just glad for any wins w/o any goals from Kopitar and Brown - what is up with them?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
I totally forgot today game!

How was Möller the few minutes he played?

And when is Kopitar coming back? Oh wait...
Moller was flying on the ice. He is getting stronger everyday. He will be a 20+ goal scorer one day and I think very soon.

I thought Kopitar finally played a solid game last night. He was actually doing something on the back check. Yes he is much better at getting back on D then 2 years ago, but I feel when he gets back he relaxes to much. He needs to fight for the puck and get control, which I thought he did much better last night.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I have to agree that the Flames "should" have won this. I think they played a slightly better overall game, but were a few posts and bad bounces away from a win. But that's not to say I don't think the Kings played well. They did. They won, they held on to a lead in the 3rd, and that is what ultimately matters. Quick was ridiculous. But I think the Flames were the better team, by a little anyway.

You know what else though. Jarret Stoll has been playing his ass off the last 10 games or so. For some reason, he's been standing out in my mind as far as his play, and it's good to see him get a 1st star last night.
Stoll always plays like this. Only difference is some of the shots are actually going in so people think he's playing better.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I will say it again: Scott Parse is just a good hockey player.

Have to agree that he doesn't get sent down again this year and find the comparison to Purcell laughable. Parse has simply outplayed Purcell in every facet of the game, even playing better on the PP by simply sitting on the bench during them. He hits, he back-checks hard and has better "vision" or whatever the Kings are hung up on with Purcell.

Right to the front of the net last night and then a world-class move on an elite goaltender. Purcell would have circled back towards the boards, waited for a trailer and then dumped it behind the net....that or shoot a wrist shot into the defender's pads.

Also, Parse has looked good on any line you put him on. He doesn't need to be force-fed powerplay minutes or get multiple shots on the 1st line to succeed. I can't wait until Smyth is back so Frolov can shuffle down to the line with Stoll and Brown and the Kings roll 3 legit scoring lines.

The obvious choice of Drewiske over Modry was apparent last night as TM rolled 5 defenseman for the 3rd period. I know he got a classic "Modry Point" (second assist off of a great individual effort by the goal scorer) but he was awful; the need for a better defensive d-man against a big Calgary team was evident before the game and more evident in the 3rd.

Wins though!!! Ivanans even took part in a real good HW tilt so it's hard to complain.

From 306, you can tell that Pat O'Neal shows more skin via his scalp than Heidi does at all. It makes sense that he does Duck broadcasts since he and Getzlaf must be tight.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:18 AM
sueroe

Calgary did have a lot of puck possession in last nights game, especially in the third. They did get some unlucky bounces, but the Kings did play a very solid defensive game. I'd like them not to play like that for a full third period, but sometimes against a team that has been on a hot streak you got to do what you can to pull out a win.
I thought overall the defense played very well in front of Quick.

The power play resulting in the goal was great.
I thought Parse's goal was super, just hard work driving to the net.
This is a definite improvement over last year. Nice to see!
It is also nice that the Kings are getting some consistent secondary scoring.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Jones saw exactly 00:00 minutes of ice time in the third period last night, and that's the way it should have been.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Jones saw exactly 00:00 minutes of ice time in the third period last night, and that's the way it should have been.
I guess we know, which dman will be sitting out next game eh?

I'm just waiting for next off season when DL parlez Jones and Harrold for another Smyth.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
All I'm saying is that the Sharks SHOULD have won on Saturday and the Flames SHOULD have won tonight. Not complaining, just putting on my PSP hat.
Well, I'm gonna disagree with your outlook on this one. The way I see it, all teams win games (not just kings) where they could/should have lost as well as lose games where could/should have won. It all pretty much evens out doesn't it?

A win is a win baby!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: Parse, Stoll, Quick Help LA Kings Douse Flames

Frozen Royalty Audio and NHL Video: Parse, Stoll, Quick Help LA Kings Douse Flames

Audio interviews with Simmonds, Scuderi, Quick, Terry Murray and Stoll...

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I just sat row 4 at this game and it was sick...Matt Greene was def the unsung hero...even my buddy commented and he knows nothing about hockey....he said that "Greene dude is a warrior." Stoll was throwing all the heavy hits....

Calgary looks a lot bigger than us....
My buddy had the same thing to say after the Chicago game. We were sitting right behind Quick and after seeing Greene rub out Toews and others he was like I want that guys jersey. Hes pissed off he waited so long to get into hockey so now he wants to make up for lost time.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Then don't go to the game? Is this a real complaint?
You bet your butt it is.

Slowly they are turning Kings' games into hip hop concerts, one music cue at a time, and I want it to stop. To me, its an obvious ploy to get the "casuals" into the game, and I hate it. Appeal to the people who have been long suffering please and thank you, not those who showed up because they read in the paper we actually don't suck for once.

And I will never stop going to games. What a black and white way to look at things. Do you never complain about aspects of things in life that you enjoy? Are we to sit on our hands when something bothers us and melt into the ether, unheard and unfulfilled?

I think not.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
You bet your butt it is.

Slowly they are turning Kings' games into hip hop concerts, one music cue at a time, and I want it to stop. To me, its an obvious ploy to get the "casuals" into the game, and I hate it. Appeal to the people who have been long suffering please and thank you, not those who showed up because they read in the paper we actually don't suck for once.

And I will never stop going to games. What a black and white way to look at things. Do you never complain about aspects of things in life that you enjoy? Are we to sit on our hands when something bothers us and melt into the ether, unheard and unfulfilled?

I think not.
I didn't hear the anthem or that cue, but the thought makes me shudder.

On the other hand, this is L.A., not the midwest, so new fan or old, you have to acknowledge that this region is a cultural melting pot. I applaud them mixing it up, though hopefully not being too hip-hop gimmicky or at the expense of butchering the anthem, which is what sounds like happened here.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I didn't hear the anthem or that cue, but the thought makes me shudder.

On the other hand, this is L.A., not the midwest, so new fan or old, you have to acknowledge that this region is a cultural melting pot. I applaud them mixing it up, though hopefully not being too hip-hop gimmicky or at the expense of butchering the anthem, which is what sounds like happened here.
Well the anthem is usually butchered, last night was just a special butchering worth mentioning for how awful it was. I didn't mean to relate the two thoughts other than my ears didn't like either.

I get that its a melting pot here, I just don't like the "lowest common denominator" attitude towards appeal. If the melting pot argument is valid, then where's the death and black metal I know just from these boards that so many Kings fans listen to?

Old
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Well the anthem is usually butchered, last night was just a special butchering worth mentioning for how awful it was. I didn't mean to relate the two thoughts other than my ears didn't like either.

I get that its a melting pot here, I just don't like the "lowest common denominator" attitude towards appeal. If that is the argument, where's the death and black metal I know just from these boards that so many Kings fans listen to?
That's very true. And I do agree with you--I hope they're not trying to lure new fans with the experience at the expense of those of us who have been longsuffering. So long as they keep adding more death metal and house to counterbalance more hip-hop, I'm okay

Then again, you should see my ipod...it's the sick lovechild of every genre of music.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 03:06 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:

I get that its a melting pot here, I just don't like the "lowest common denominator" attitude towards appeal. If the melting pot argument is valid, then where's the death and black metal I know just from these boards that so many Kings fans listen to?
So, you don't like the fact that Staples is trying to draw in the minority crowd? Why?

And I'd hardly call the Black Eyed Peas the "lowest common denominator" in hip hop.

Their "Pump It" play on that song from Pulp Fiction is used in a lot of arenas.

Old
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
That's very true. And I do agree with you--I hope they're not trying to lure new fans with the experience at the expense of those of us who have been longsuffering. So long as they keep adding more death metal and house to counterbalance more hip-hop, I'm okay

Then again, you should see my ipod...it's the sick lovechild of every genre of music.
I'm good with a balance as well.

I just realize though that I shouldn't be blaming Dieter.

I blame the Briggs.

This horrible music trend all started with them, and its been devolving ever since.

Old
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
I'm good with a balance as well.

I just realize though that I shouldn't be blaming Dieter.

I blame the Briggs.

This horrible music trend all started with them, and its been devolving ever since.
The horrible music trend started in the 90s, not with the Briggs.