HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mich'Fish with side of Alfie

Old
12-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

vCash: 500
Mich'Fish with side of Alfie

Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson

This line excites me. Hope it stays together a couple o games till it gels and then......big expectations!
Very happy Clouston finally put it together.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
jmor
Sens and Jets

the best part of this line is it allows our three struggaling forwards to play together

foligno-spezza-kovalev

those three are working had now, and it's only a matter of time before they start producing.

Not to mention michalek-fisher-alfie have been our three best forwards to date.

However, i'd LOVE to see winchester playing beside kovalev again... they have some unreal chemestry, and I believe their skills complement each other very well.

jmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmor View Post
the best part of this line is it allows our three struggaling forwards to play together

foligno-spezza-kovalev

those three are working had now, and it's only a matter of time before they start producing.

Not to mention michalek-fisher-alfie have been our three best forwards to date.

However, i'd LOVE to see winchester playing beside kovalev again... they have some unreal chemestry, and I believe their skills complement each other very well.
Good call IMO. I like Folingo, but Winchester should get a chance. Hes been playing really well. Cheechoo also deserves a chance as hes been playing well the last two games.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Zillaege

I thought the line looked awful against the Ducks frankly. They had the matchup against the Perry-Getzlaf-Lupul line, and those guys combined for 3 goals and 12 shots. They kept trying to carry it over the blue line and turning it over. Especially when you're against puck movers like Niedermayer and Whitney, you've gotta get that puck deep. Fisher had a strong game but the other two struggled. I love Alfie, but it seems to me he's been struggling for a while now, and he's only really been producing on the power play. He keeps missing practice for "maintenance" so maybe that has something do with it. Either way though, I don't think that line showed much chemistry at all. It's only one game and I'm happy to be patient with them, but at this point I'm not too hopeful that line will work out.

Zillaege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillaege View Post
I thought the line looked awful against the Ducks frankly. They had the matchup against the Perry-Getzlaf-Lupul line, and those guys combined for 3 goals and 12 shots. They kept trying to carry it over the blue line and turning it over. Especially when you're against puck movers like Niedermayer and Whitney, you've gotta get that puck deep. Fisher had a strong game but the other two struggled. I love Alfie, but it seems to me he's been struggling for a while now, and he's only really been producing on the power play. He keeps missing practice for "maintenance" so maybe that has something do with it. Either way though, I don't think that line showed much chemistry at all. It's only one game and I'm happy to be patient with them, but at this point I'm not too hopeful that line will work out.
I'd add that while Fisher/Alfie/Michalek have been the best forwards this year overall they have been struggling a bit the for a while now. Fisher hasn't been quite as good since he was injured and Alfie hsa been a bit of a turnover machine. Michalek's been pretty good, but not as good as he was early in the season.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Zillaege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
Good call IMO. I like Folingo, but Winchester should get a chance. Hes been playing really well. Cheechoo also deserves a chance as hes been playing well the last two games.
I'd put Cheechoo there way before I'd try Winchester. I love Winnie, but he might have the worst shot on the whole team. You need a shooter to play Spezza and Kovalev, and Cheechoo at least has a good shot, even if he struggles to get it off these days.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
I'd put Cheechoo there way before I'd try Winchester. I love Winnie, but he might have the worst shot on the whole team. You need a shooter to play Spezza and Kovalev, and Cheechoo at least has a good shot, even if he struggles to get it off these days.
You may be right, but I think Spezza and Kovalev are both pretty good finishers. They just need a little confidence right now. I think Spezza probably got some last night when he scored. Kovalev is a capable goal scorer, but he looks like hes holding the stick a little tight when he is shooting right now. It may be more important to have a guy that will take care of things defensively and forcheck hard. Then again Cheechoo has been working really hard the last two games so maybe he could fit in. Also none of these guys plays the game at full speed so they might work well together.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
You may be right, but I think Spezza and Kovalev are both pretty good finishers. They just need a little confidence right now. I think Spezza probably got some last night when he scored. Kovalev is a capable goal scorer, but he looks like hes holding the stick a little tight when he is shooting right now. It may be more important to have a guy that will take care of things defensively and forcheck hard. Then again Cheechoo has been working really hard the last two games so maybe he could fit in. Also none of these guys plays the game at full speed so they might work well together.
Thing i like about kovalev with spezza is it forces one of them to shoot. i think we kind of saw it against anaheim (spezza - 4 shots).
Another good point, that those two slow the game down a bit and that is exactly what cheechoo needs, so might be worth a try there.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Zillaege

Quote:
Kovalev has a good wrist shot, but I find he has a tendency to wiff on one timers, or fire it 5 feet over the net. Right now we need someone who can finish off those sweet Spezza passes, and so far Michalek has proven the best at that.

I'm not sure how wise it is to play our two best goal scorers in Michalek and Fisher together, especially with Fisher at centre. When you have an absolute elite playmaker in someone like Thornton (with Heatley and Marleau) or Backstrom (with Ovechkin and Semin) it can work, but those two both play centre, and are two of the purest playmakers in the world. While Alfie is a very adept passer, he's much more of an all around offensive threat and so isn't ideal in the pure playmaking role, and as a winger, he'll always be looking left to pass to one of those two, making it much easier to cover defensively. As the centre, you have an option to your left and to your right, meaning there is far more ice for the other team to cover.

I would try the following combination:

Michalek - Spezza - Kovalev
Teams have to respect Michalek's explosiveness, opening up the neutral zone for Spezza and Kovalev. Michalek also has the finishing ability to play with those two, and will help cover defensively

Cheechoo - Fisher - Alfie
Fisher and Alfredsson have always had good chemistry, and Cheechoo has been on fire for the past 3 games and I'd love to see how he'd do up here

Old
12-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

Winchester in our best faceoff man lately, it wouldn't be wise to pu thim with Spezza. I noticed Winnie was sent out to take a faceoff for Spezza yesterday when the puck was in the defensive zone. As soon as we got control, he went off to let Spezza come on.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Kovalev has a good wrist shot, but I find he has a tendency to wiff on one timers, or fire it 5 feet over the net. Right now we need someone who can finish off those sweet Spezza passes, and so far Michalek has proven the best at that.

I'm not sure how wise it is to play our two best goal scorers in Michalek and Fisher together, especially with Fisher at centre. When you have an absolute elite playmaker in someone like Thornton (with Heatley and Marleau) or Backstrom (with Ovechkin and Semin) it can work, but those two both play centre, and are two of the purest playmakers in the world. While Alfie is a very adept passer, he's much more of an all around offensive threat and so isn't ideal in the pure playmaking role, and as a winger, he'll always be looking left to pass to one of those two, making it much easier to cover defensively. As the centre, you have an option to your left and to your right, meaning there is far more ice for the other team to cover.

I would try the following combination:

Michalek - Spezza - Kovalev
Teams have to respect Michalek's explosiveness, opening up the neutral zone for Spezza and Kovalev. Michalek also has the finishing ability to play with those two, and will help cover defensively

Cheechoo - Fisher - Alfie
Fisher and Alfredsson have always had good chemistry, and Cheechoo has been on fire for the past 3 games and I'd love to see how he'd do up here
I wouldn't mind seeing those lines. I've been wanting to see how Kovalev and Michalek would play together. He seems like the type of guy who would really open up the ice for Kovy like he has for Spezza with his speed that forces the defense to back off.

I'd say if we were going for more balance these are probably the most balanced first two lines that could be put together.

Old
12-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dred View Post
Thing i like about kovalev with spezza is it forces one of them to shoot. i think we kind of saw it against anaheim (spezza - 4 shots).
Another good point, that those two slow the game down a bit and that is exactly what cheechoo needs, so might be worth a try there.
Yeah it might work out. I think Cheechoo deserves another shot on the top two lines after the way he has played the last two games.

Old
12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Karl Cowensson
I has cheezburger

Quote:
Yeah it might work out. I think Cheechoo deserves another shot on the top two lines after the way he has played the last two games.
I say leave Cheechoo where he is, that line of Ruutu-Kelly-Cheech has been really solid.

Karl Cowensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Cowensson View Post
I say leave Cheechoo where he is, that line of Ruutu-Kelly-Cheech has been really solid.
Neil will replace Cheechoo on that line when he's back.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Neil will replace Cheechoo on that line when he's back.
unless Cheechoo gets moved up its not happening. Cheechoo has been our best player lately.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:59 AM
AlfieAllDay

love the idea, but reserving judgment for a couple more games

AlfieAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

I found the problem with Spezzalev against the Ducks was that if they didn't have the puck they couldn't get it back.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Tristqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
I found the problem with Spezzalev against the Ducks was that if they didn't have the puck they couldn't get it back.
That's why I think Cheechoo would be useful for that line. He's good for puck retrieving and his passing has been uber up late. He's buzzing around the net too, a thing that you don't see a lot from Spezza and Kovalev.

Tristqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristqc View Post
That's why I think Cheechoo would be useful for that line. He's good for puck retrieving and his passing has been uber up late. He's buzzing around the net too, a thing that you don't see a lot from Spezza and Kovalev.
The Cheechoo-Kelly-Ruutu line has been great in the past 5-6 games, im not sure I would break them up just yet

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
sensfan83*

Fisher's gotta feel great. 3 months ago half the city wanted to waive him or trade him for scraps. Now he's the first line centre. Even if you don't have a sickening borderline stalking mancrush, you gotta feel happy for the guy...

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post
Fisher's gotta feel great. 3 months ago half the city wanted to waive him or trade him for scraps. Now he's the first line centre. Even if you don't have a sickening borderline stalking mancrush, you gotta feel happy for the guy...
Admit it, even if you had the chance, you wouldn't invite Carrie along for the threesome. Just you and Fishie.

Old
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
PhysicalTorque

This line will spank the Canadiens tonight.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote