HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's expendable?

Old
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

vCash: 500
We should trade Dan Carcillo for Upshall and a 2nd round pick.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Implicit in the nature of said trade is that it's a long-term move. The value comes down the road. Focusing on short-term fixes has not served us well anyway.
I don't see how trading a 24 year old coming off a 47 goal year for a bunch of lottery tickets is considered value. The picks/prospect could easily turn out to be nothing. No thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Who would be dumb enough to make such a deal?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:11 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I don't see how trading a 24 year old coming off a 47 goal year for a bunch of lottery tickets is considered value. The picks/prospect could easily turn out to be nothing. No thank you.

Who would be dumb enough to make such a deal?
Why would the Flyers be dumb enough to make such a deal?

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Why would the Flyers be dumb enough to make such a deal?
You act as if the Flyers have never made dumb moves. Granted, it seems to be the other way around - trading high picks for average to poor players.

Before last year I would have traded Carter for some hockey tape and a bag of pucks. Seems like he's reverting back - that low-percentage shot he always takes from a bad angle with a defender on him seems to be the go-to move he's got left. I agree with some of the posters here - send him out before his trade value plummets dramatically. And Gagne as well, but he's got negative value at this point, plus a NTC.

That being said, I would keep Giroux, JVR, and Richards obviously. On the fence about Hartnell, his heart seems to be far bigger than his talent.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Lab Monkey

****ing Coburn... what a bum

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:26 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
Coburn, Coburn, Coburn, Coburn, and Coburn. That's my list.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Coburn should be packaged off in some deal.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:30 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Bradon Coburn. I ****ing hate him now.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
flyboys15

I would seriously shop Carter...I wouldn't give him up for any deal that didn't make us feel like big winners. I'd want a quality, point producing piece for him now.

Would Anaheim seriously consider moving Bobby Ryan for Jeff Carter's services?

If I'm Anaheim I'm holding on to him but I have heard his name was out there recently. Would that deal be straight up, who would have to sweeten the pot? Could we get our first rounder back?

Talk about a dominate line of size plus skill if anyone had the good sense to put Jeff on the wing

Carter-Getz-Perry

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 07:29 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Bradon Coburn. I ****ing hate him now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Coburn should be packaged off in some deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
I seriously thought they got rid of stupid mistakes when Jones went to the Kings. Guess I was wrong, Jones just handed the stupid mistakes curse to Coburn.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
CantSeeColors

People would really rather get rid of Coburn than all of the forwards who got shutout by a ****** backup?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:45 AM
stealthelephant

Defense looked good for the first 2 periods, I fell asleep during the 2nd intermission.

Good coverage, good support. Still collapsing alot but we were winning puck battles and making good outlet passes.

Still not happy with our cycle. Still not just throwing the puck on net enough and crashing. Had a bunch of sustained cycles where we just kept passing and never getting 2nd/3rd efforts after a shot. Specifically remember a good cycle from the Carter line, and Carter tried a pass to the point and send it right to an OTtawa winger. Need to just throw on net and crash and bang away. Stop waiting for picture perfect setups.

Despite not scoring, we looked decent on the 5on3. Good puck movement, good variation, though we didn't get their goalie moving side to side that well. A couple of the passes from circle to circle weren't handled cleanly which affected that but oh well.

stealthelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthelephant View Post
Defense looked good for the first 2 periods, I fell asleep during the 2nd intermission.
They were tired from the bag skate.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:36 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
You act as if the Flyers have never made dumb moves. Granted, it seems to be the other way around - trading high picks for average to poor players.

Before last year I would have traded Carter for some hockey tape and a bag of pucks. Seems like he's reverting back - that low-percentage shot he always takes from a bad angle with a defender on him seems to be the go-to move he's got left. I agree with some of the posters here - send him out before his trade value plummets dramatically. And Gagne as well, but he's got negative value at this point, plus a NTC.

That being said, I would keep Giroux, JVR, and Richards obviously. On the fence about Hartnell, his heart seems to be far bigger than his talent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
People would really rather get rid of Coburn than all of the forwards who got shutout by a ****** backup?
I dont want to get rid of Coburn at all....In fact, I think this makes it easier to re-sign him since he is having a subpar year. I think he will still be a very good dman. He needs Lavi to spend some time with him (hopefully).

Pronger and Carle have slowed down their torrid pace....How about mixing up the defensive pairings a bit and give Coburn some time with Pronger to get him out of his rutt....He was great when he played with Hatcher.

As for Carter, I would be more open to moving him if Giroux was scoring more....I think Giroux is perfectly capable of scoring more, but not sure we should put that pressure on him yet. If Carter is moved, I want a true 3rd line center in here with some size, good defensive play and good on faceoffs. Someone like Stoll in LA....Maybe a Carter for Stoll, Moller/Lewis and a pick or something along those lines. Take the saving in cap space and add another bottom 6 player.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:43 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont want to get rid of Coburn at all....In fact, I think this makes it easier to re-sign him since he is having a subpar year. I think he will still be a very good dman. He needs Lavi to spend some time with him (hopefully).

Pronger and Carle have slowed down their torrid pace....How about mixing up the defensive pairings a bit and give Coburn some time with Pronger to get him out of his rutt....He was great when he played with Hatcher.

As for Carter, I would be more open to moving him if Giroux was scoring more....I think Giroux is perfectly capable of scoring more, but not sure we should put that pressure on him yet. If Carter is moved, I want a true 3rd line center in here with some size, good defensive play and good on faceoffs. Someone like Stoll in LA....Maybe a Carter for Stoll, Moller/Lewis and a pick or something along those lines. Take the saving in cap space and add another bottom 6 player.
I am soooo happy you are not the GM of the Flyers. Lewis will probably be a bust, but Moller will be good (probably).

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Dartmouth Big Green

Delco times reported that Tampa offered goalie Mike Smith to Philly 4 either Giroux or JVR.

Dartmouth Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:48 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post

Great idea, split up your best pairing and re-sign the *********.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Great idea, split up your best pairing and re-sign the *********.
I do not see anything wrong with that idea.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthelephant View Post

Good coverage, good support. Still collapsing alot but we were winning puck battles and making good outlet passes.

Still not happy with our cycle. Still not just throwing the puck on net enough and crashing. Had a bunch of sustained cycles where we just kept passing and never getting 2nd/3rd efforts after a shot. Specifically remember a good cycle from the Carter line, and Carter tried a pass to the point and send it right to an OTtawa winger. Need to just throw on net and crash and bang away. Stop waiting for picture perfect setups.

Despite not scoring, we looked decent on the 5on3. Good puck movement, good variation, though we didn't get their goalie moving side to side that well. A couple of the passes from circle to circle weren't handled cleanly which affected that but oh well.

So what is the deal then when they cycle the puck out? they looking for that perfect pass or shot?? Guys need to learn to trust their instincts and have some confidence to take the shot or pass even when it appears nothing may not be there.
throw it twords the net with some authority. You never know what will happen.
What is the worst that can happen? it gets knocked down and cleared?
Its not like that hasnt happened enough already.
When you are waiting for that perfect shot it shows lack of confidence. Like I said guys are going to need to trust their ability and insincts and just get the puck on net and put some guys down low for God sakes.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
stealthelephant

Well ideally I think if you can work a cycle long/well enough, with the talent we have, the other team eventually blows coverage and/or gets mixed up and you get space to do something. Giving you a good scoring chance. If a team is playing well defensively, you just gotta work with what they're giving you. Play in traffic. Plenty of good scorers in the league who "don't play well in traffic". Our team has been looking guilty of that. You can't just keep hoping you'll get an opening. You can't hope you'll get a breakaway or a blown coverage. When you need to manufacture a goal, gotta just get shots on net and bang away. Cycling means nothing if you don't get shots on net from it.

stealthelephant is offline   Reply With Quote