HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Something for us oldtimers to ponder

Old
12-08-2009, 08:32 PM
XS Chop

vCash: 500
Something for us oldtimers to ponder

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=508286

Imagine a forward group of:

Craven Kerr Neely Sinisalo Eklund Tocchet Smith Poulin Mellanby Berube Zezel Brown

If Kerr and Neely were healthy at the right times there would have been multiple cups.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 08:49 PM
mypunkrock

Ok, so I'm no old timer, but you're from Maple Shade!

Hot damn, I'm not the only one!

And yeah, that group looks plain nasty.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Dave Richter is mentioned. He was forgotten in our Fighters discussion. How'd that happen?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Craven Kerr Neely Sinisalo Eklund Tocchet Smith Poulin Mellanby Berube Zezel Brown
Names my drunk uncles say for 100.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 940
^ Add Ron Sutter and Propp. When Farwell eventually came in, he added Brad Jones as a FA (bad signing) and gave him a ridiculous contract which pissed off both Sutter and especially Craven -- as they wanted to discuss their impending contract expirations. Craven was livid at that point in time.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-08-2009 at 09:35 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Names my drunk uncles say for 100.
Fun, fun team. People who experienced 1981-84 have an unending appreciation for the team and especially Keenan. They re-energized the fan base and brought a swagger to the team missing in the prior years.

Old
12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Yeah, I read that article the other day, pretty interesting stuff. Going back beyond the Lindros trade, that might have to be the next big possibility of what could have been that really has to make one wonder. No one would've wanted to see Propp traded of course, but garnering Neely in return certainly would've softened the blow. And while Propp certainly went on to have some good years in a Flyers uniform afterwards...that was I guess right around the time his production started to dip. I believe all his best years came before that trade would've been made.

All in all though, who knows if it would've had that much of an overall impact on the team. I mean, I at least don't think it could've been to a point where you could be talking about multiple cups. In the late '80's, you'd have had Neely being a big contributor, but you'd be missing Propp's contributions which were still very significant. And in the early '90's, the team needed more than a Neely to make them a contender.

^^^And speaking of Keenan, I thought he did a pretty bang up job on VS tonight. I wouldn't have expected him to be so comfortable...they should try and bring him on permanently.

Also, I'm not exactly an old-timer, but I pondered this anyway...hope that's allowed.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:59 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ Add Ron Sutter and Propp. When Farwell eventually came in, he added Brad Jones as a FA (bad signing) and gave him a ridiculous contract which pissed off both Sutter and especially Craven -- as they wanted to discuss their impending contract expirations. Craven was livid at that point in time.
I think Clarke said in the article that they would have been part of the trade. Anyone ever hear a rumour about this? It's the first I've heard of it.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:00 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Yeah, that team was nonstop energy and hence a real treat to watch.

I forget when Lindsay Carson came along. And Derek Smith. They were a line with Rich, I think. THAT was an Energy line.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Yeah, I read that article the other day, pretty interesting stuff. Going back beyond the Lindros trade, that might have to be the next big possibility of what could have been that really has to make one wonder. No one would've wanted to see Propp traded of course, but garnering Neely in return certainly would've softened the blow. And while Propp certainly went on to have some good years in a Flyers uniform afterwards...that was I guess right around the time his production started to dip. I believe all his best years came before that trade would've been made.

All in all though, who knows if it would've had that much of an overall impact on the team. I mean, I at least don't think it could've been to a point where you could be talking about multiple cups. In the late '80's, you'd have had Neely being a big contributor, but you'd be missing Propp's contributions which were still very significant. And in the early '90's, the team needed more than a Neely to make them a contender.

^^^And speaking of Keenan, I thought he did a pretty bang up job on VS tonight. I wouldn't have expected him to be so comfortable...they should try and bring him on permanently.

Also, I'm not exactly an old-timer, but I pondered this anyway...hope that's allowed.
I don't know. I think having shift after shift of Tocchet following Neely onto the ice would have worn most teams down pretty good, especially in the playoffs.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Yeah, that team was nonstop energy and hence a real treat to watch.

I forget when Lindsay Carson came along. And Derek Smith. They were a line with Rich, I think. THAT was an Energy line.
Carson debuted 2-3 years before Smith. He was a lesser version of Smith and was in Keenan's doghouse and asked to be traded because his role diminished over time. Somewhat inconsistent. He didn't last too long when he got traded to Hartford. In return, the Flyers got Paul Lawless who had skills but was enigmatic. He lasted even less time in Philly, a handful of games. I think Keenan's exact words were "Now I know why Hartford wanted to get rid of him."

Old
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I think Keenan's exact words were "Now I know why Hartford wanted to get rid of him."

Not exactly a word-mincer, old Iron Mike.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:43 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
I think Clarke said in the article that they would have been part of the trade. Anyone ever hear a rumour about this? It's the first I've heard of it.
In the Winter Classic thread, there was a mention of this NHL.com article. I copied my response for here: During Hextall's rookie season, when Bob Froese requested to be traded because he lost his starter's job, a rumor circulated with the Flyers getting Raymond Bourque and the number one pick Vancouver sent to Boston (in the Neely trade) for Tim Kerr and Froese. Supposedly, Harry Sinden didn't want to part with the pick which he used to draft Glen Wesley and probably it was nothing more than a rumor. Another had that pick and Kenny Linseman going from Boston to the Caps for Bobby Carpenter but again, the pick wasn't going to be dealt. Carpenter was traded to the Rangers about a month or so later.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

Not exactly a word-mincer, old Iron Mike.
A few years later, Lawless was found to have a hole in his heart and IIRC his dad passed away at a young age. I think he was in Anaheim's camp when it was detected. He played for a couple of teams after the Flyers.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:53 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

I find the prospect of Wesley with the Flyers from late 80s onward to be as tantalizing at Cam Neely (though likely just due to how Neely got cut short).

Old
12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Here's one: When the Flyers had possibly two first-round picks (Flyers and option with Calgary's from the Brad McCrimmon trade) in the 1988 Draft, Clarke dialed up the Blues and wanted to swap the two for St. Louis's #1 (which was ninth overall). The reason? He wanted Rod Brind'Amour.

When St. Louis said no, Clarke had the option to switch the Calgary pick to the following year. He did. Flyers drafted Claude Boivin in 1988, then traded their 1989 pick and the Flames' 1989 pick to Toronto for Ken Wregget.

Old
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Here's one: When the Flyers had possibly two first-round picks (Flyers and option with Calgary's from the Brad McCrimmon trade) in the 1988 Draft, Clarke dialed up the Blues and wanted to swap the two for St. Louis's #1 (which was ninth overall). The reason? He wanted Rod Brind'Amour.

When St. Louis said no, Clarke had the option to switch the Calgary pick to the following year. He did. Flyers drafted Claude Boivin in 1988, then traded their 1989 pick and the Flames' 1989 pick to Toronto for Ken Wregget.
Oh yeahhhh....Boivin! Our savior! Were it not for him we'd probably be the Kansas City Flyers, or the Las Vegas Flyers or some other godforsaken place. I think we can all agree that Claude Boivin saved the franchise. Some people act like Lindros had more to do with the team's turnaround in the early 90's, and well that's just nutty. It's a good god damn thing the Blues said no to Clarke!

Old
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
that would have been epic. the canucks made a pretty bad deal back then. garth snow must have taken some lessons from them.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Oh yeahhhh....Boivin! Our savior! Were it not for him we'd probably be the Kansas City Flyers, or the Las Vegas Flyers or some other godforsaken place. I think we can all agree that Claude Boivin saved the franchise. Some people act like Lindros had more to do with the team's turnaround in the early 90's, and well that's just nutty. It's a good god damn thing the Blues said no to Clarke!
He was drafted between two Savages.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1988e.html

Old
12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
He was drafted between two Savages.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1988e.html
How ****ing appropriate! Haha, that's great, I never knew.

And to think, there are probably some Boivin detractors(crazy, I know) out there who might try and claim that the man doesn't even hold any records. I'd like for those *******s to name me another man who was drafted between two Savages!

Old
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

He was the Mark Laforest of forwards.

Old
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Ok, so I'm no old timer, but you're from Maple Shade!

Hot damn, I'm not the only one!

And yeah, that group looks plain nasty.

Regards,
Rick
I have nothing of value to add to this thread, but I saw this and the only thought that came to mind was Maple Aids.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote