HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Franzen out 4 months with torn knee ligament

Old
11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle6147628.ab

According to Aftonbladet. Franzen lost 8 kg in a month. From 101 kg to 93 kg. Because he was afraid to gain weight, he didn't eat as normal. Mostly eggwhites and broccoli.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle6147628.ab

According to Aftonbladet. Franzen lost 8 kg in a month. From 101 kg to 93 kg. Because he was afraid to gain weight, he didn't eat as normal. Mostly eggwhites and broccoli.
I got a chuckle out of this until I realized it was over 17 pounds that Franzen lost... . On the bright side, maybe less mass will make it easier to rehab the knee? Yeah, I'm reaching. How the hell does anyone lose 17 lbs in a month???

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 04:59 PM
icing

Haha, thats awsome.

"I only ate egg whites and broccoli when I was laying on the couch after the operation. I wanted to aviod putting on weight, it seems it worked TO well, Franzen says"

He also says he gains weight very easily and therefore really was afraid of putting on weight just laying on the couch.

And he has not given up on the Olympics, not even after that Yzerman threatened to fire the hole medical staff if he (Franzen) was back before march.

Last edited by icing: 11-19-2009 at 05:06 PM.
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
How the hell does anyone lose 17 lbs in a month???
uhhh...evidently eggwhites and broccoli...?

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:29 AM
doublejack

I'll wager a lot of that lost weight is muscle. I don't take it as good news.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
I'll wager a lot of that lost weight is muscle. I don't take it as good news.
You don't lose that much muscle that quickly and with muscle memory it won't take a professional athlete a lot of time to gain it back.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
Nordic*

How's he doing?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
uhhh...evidently eggwhites and broccoli...?
well, I guess I know what my diet for the next month should be then

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 11:49 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
You don't lose that much muscle that quickly and with muscle memory it won't take a professional athlete a lot of time to gain it back.
One can lose muscle mass that quickly through inactivity and a poor diet. And muscle memory is a concept that explains how someone who does the same set of movements over and over can repeat the task with a high level of precision.

If Franzen has lost a significant amount of muscle, his road to getting it back won't be any easier than yours or mine would be. It's amazing how quickly conditioning and muscle are lost when someone becomes inactive.

Either way, I think it's noble of him to want to play in the Olympics, but he's being a fool about it. He should realize that even if he doesn't rush back

Old
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
One can lose muscle mass that quickly through inactivity and a poor diet. And muscle memory is a concept that explains how someone who does the same set of movements over and over can repeat the task with a high level of precision.

If Franzen has lost a significant amount of muscle, his road to getting it back won't be any easier than yours or mine would be. It's amazing how quickly conditioning and muscle are lost when someone becomes inactive.

Either way, I think it's noble of him to want to play in the Olympics, but he's being a fool about it. He should realize that even if he doesn't rush back
I still think you're reaching. The average person, maybe. But not a professional athlete. It's all conjecture, maybe we can get a surgeon in here to fully diagnose it.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
doublejack

Oops, the last bit of my post got truncated. I meant to finish with - even if Franzen doesn't rush back, he's not going to be near 100%. It will likely take six months to a year, at a minimum, before he feels like he did before and he's playing at a high level. If he rushes just to play in the Olympics, he is only setting himself up for a setback.

Old
12-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I still think you're reaching. The average person, maybe. But not a professional athlete. It's all conjecture, maybe we can get a surgeon in here to fully diagnose it.
I'm with you on this one Heaton, you're dead on.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:55 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I got a chuckle out of this until I realized it was over 17 pounds that Franzen lost... . On the bright side, maybe less mass will make it easier to rehab the knee? Yeah, I'm reaching. How the hell does anyone lose 17 lbs in a month???
Talk about high metabolish. Holy ****. I thought i lost a lot of muscle when I tore my knee, but not as much as him. I ended up losing 10 lbs in like 3 months, not 17 in one month. wow.

Quote:

Muscle actually can be put back on fairly qiuck and even more so for a bigger person like Johan. Once his knee gets stronger to lift and press, like another month, I am sure he will start gaining a lot more of it back. Honestly, some people's bodies are insanely gifted. If you work your ass off you can gain a ton of weight fairly easy but its going to take a lot of hard work. When I was 20 I was able to go to the Gym once or twice a day, 7 days a week and I was gaining like 5 lbs a month, minus fat i was burning and shedding. He's a professional athlete, im sure he could toss on more then the average worker-outer.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
DaFranzenator

Send a message via ICQ to DaFranzenator
Quote:
Oops, the last bit of my post got truncated. I meant to finish with - even if Franzen doesn't rush back, he's not going to be near 100%. It will likely take six months to a year, at a minimum, before he feels like he did before and he's playing at a high level. If he rushes just to play in the Olympics, he is only setting himself up for a setback.
Agreed, it's gonna take quite a while before we see the Franzen of old, I dont care who you are, minus Superman, sustaining a catastrophic injury like a complete tear of your ACL, is not like spraining your pinky. It's a long, slow process.

He should concentrate more on slowly building back the strength in his knee, instead of rushing back so he can play in the olympics and risk doing career threatning damage too it. Heck it's not like there won't be another in 4 more years, yea he''ll be 4 years older(33 or 34?) but if he can maintain the level of play he has showed the past 2 seasons, he should have no problem making the team in 2014.

DaFranzenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Johnny Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaAnotherWingsFaN View Post
Agreed, it's gonna take quite a while before we see the Franzen of old, I dont care who you are, minus Superman, sustaining a catastrophic injury like a complete tear of your ACL, is not like spraining your pinky. It's a long, slow process.

He should concentrate more on slowly building back the strength in his knee, instead of rushing back so he can play in the olympics and risk doing career threatning damage too it. Heck it's not like there won't be another in 4 more years, yea he''ll be 4 years older(33 or 34?) but if he can maintain the level of play he has showed the past 2 seasons, he should have no problem making the team in 2014.
First an ACL is not a catastrophic injury, its actually a pretty simple procedure that when done at a high level has a pretty high rate of nearly complete success. Its a longer healing injury for sure but when compared with other possible injuries it isn't so bad.

Second he wouldn't really be doing any real career type damage, when you blow one out they don't fix it they put a whole new one in. Now there is discussion about degradation of the fixing spot and loss of ROM but Franzen will have the best of best so I got to believe his ROM will be near 100%.

Some people are born without acl's (Hines Ward doesn't have any) and I know personally IFSA athlete's who have gone the entire season without one. Skiing is a different sport for sure but if your leg muscle's are quick enough you don't need an acl. Additionally there a number of athletes that have had multiple acl jobs, I believe the record for Olympic athletes is 8, some ski chick from BC Canada.

What's most important for Franzen is that he rehabs effectivley and for that you need motivation. If that's the olympics for him fantastic, he'll work hard and at the end of the day I have to believe a team doc would tell him it just can't happen if that truly is the case.

P.S. I'm not a surgeon but the guy down the hall is, additionally I have 10+ friends who have done the ACL dealio some with MCL/miniscus injuries as well.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2009, 04:07 PM
SirKillalot

Very good read about Franzen's past:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle6206458.ab

Google translate it, or get a swede to translate

The main topic of it: Afraid to be in the spotlight, afraid to score goals.

Old
12-06-2009, 05:31 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Very good read about Franzen's past:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle6206458.ab

Google translate it, or get a swede to translate

The main topic of it: Afraid to be in the spotlight, afraid to score goals.
dude... I just found my new avatar

edit: and..... done.

Last edited by GT500x: 12-06-2009 at 05:40 PM.
GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Nordic*

And he once ran a ref to get suspended for like 6 months.

Not what you expect from a guy like him.

Old
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
SirKillalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
And he once ran a ref to get suspended for like 6 months.

Not what you expect from a guy like him.
Well, he didn't actually mean to do it. But got suspended anyway. The ref stopped and Franzen couldn't stop in time.

Funny, he was a goalie until he was atleast 17. Played soccer until he was 19 something.

Old
12-08-2009, 12:49 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Well, he didn't actually mean to do it. But got suspended anyway. The ref stopped and Franzen couldn't stop in time.

Funny, he was a goalie until he was atleast 17. Played soccer until he was 19 something.

From what I heard, that wasn't the case - and he smirked when he said it to that reporter. He was pissed and actually ran the ref over - ´that's what I heard from someone who actually witnessed it live back then.

There are no recorded videos of this from what I've gathered.

Old
12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
"Was afraid to score"
Blog about this article
Link to this article from your blog entries - copy this address:

To join the listing here, you also have submitted your blog on Blog Portal Read more here!

Aftonbladet.se not responsible for what is written in blogs.

Detroit's Johan Franzén the anguish that threatened his career

DETROIT. Johan Franzén has been a wonderful breakthrough in the NHL, has a newly written contract worth nearly 300 million and is celebrated star of the Detroit Red Wings.

The paradox is that he now stands in the middle of the spotlight, where his biggest demons always existed.

For there was a time of extreme shyness and stage fright was about to stop his whole career.

Then he ran and hid after the matches, when he truant from school lectures and paid team mate were in Linköping for speaking in his place.

- The only place I felt safe was on the ice, "he says.

Johan Franzén call it sheer horror.

The fear to face others and make speeches, meet the media after the matches and move to new habitats.

- I've always been shy and the first season here, I was almost afraid to score. Then I knew I would be interviewed afterward. It was almost as I shot into the post instead, but only almost. But it was never so I went and chased the target if we led the game clearly. I do not now either.

Few have known Johan Franzén problems back home in Sweden and it is only now he had come upon the worst fears.

- Here in the NHL is of course thrown straight into it. There is no way out, so I had to try to work it out. And confrontation is what works best for all terror, "he says.

During the years in Linköping were the players would give lectures in different contexts, but Franzen managed to always shirk their obligations.

- I will simply pay someone else on the team from their own pockets. I simply can-not of it.

Only he can now openly talk about it shows that he is well on the road.

- But it's still the case that I prefer to slip out of the locker room before reporters allowed into the games.

The extreme shame is why Johan Franzén got such a late breakthrough.

He was a star even as television pucks in Smĺland, but when those responsible for the boy's team called afterward to call him a preparatory camp so he turned them down.

HV 71 managed to attract him to the hockey school of Engineering, but he did not remain in town very long.

- I really do not and it became very absence from school. The times we were asked to give lectures to the class so I could not think of anything else. I kept myself away from lessons until the task was over. It was just not. I used to leave school at lunch and stick and go public skating instead. It was just where I felt safe. Eventually I moved back home. But I still think it was a good choice and that it was better for me to play senior hockey at home than junior hockey in HV.

In small Landsbro he had friends, family and security.

In Myresjö a few miles away, he had the football team.

- I'm the boy headlines until I was seventeen. I was a goalkeeper, even though I thought it was really boring to be in goal. -I really hated it at some practices. But the coach wanted me to stand and so it became.

He then continued with football forward in Landsbro until he was nineteen, which is almost unique for a Swedish hockey player in the NHL.

- But that last year with childhood friends in the football team was actually one of my funniest of Sport so far. We played just because it was fun.

The same winter he made incredible 23 goals in just ten games in the Boro team in Division III. The rumors spread over hockey - Sweden.

Then occurred an incident which is also relatively unknown and could have stopped the career of the then 19-year-old Franzen.

He drove to the referee in a match and got a year off from hockey.

- But we appealed and got it down to ten months, "he says.

What actually happened?

- I was angry and went after the judge and shouted, and when he stopped and put her hands on the sides so I continued to ride.

Franzen shows himself judge gesture of misconduct when he tells us.

- I argued the whole time that I could not stay. The claim I am still, "he says and bursts into a smile.

But after the season began the trek upwards.

Coach Torgny Bendelin managed to get him to move to the Premier Division when Tranĺs 1999-2000 and when Torgny moved to Linköping year after followed by Franzen.

One Linköping lying in the Allsvenskan season.

- I had quotes from the HV 71 and the premier league at the time, but Bendelin managed to persuade me to keep up with the LHC, "he says.

In Linköping, also came the breakthrough, when the LHC took back to the premier league the same season. Back to stay.

- To go up in premier league with Linköping is the funniest thing I have experienced in hockey, after my second Stanley Cup title here in Detroit.

Yet continued Johan Franzén to be an anonymous Swedish player, a hard-working defensive forward who enjoyed excellent in that role. He joined the squad as characteristic coarse jobber and World Cup debut in Prague 2005th

- But it has also been a big part in my development. And it was a role I liked because I did not have all the attention.

But most people were probably surprised when he went to Detroit later that year, of Detroit who draft him as a 24-year-old in 2004. He was relatively high also for being an over-aged players - who number 97 of the third round.

And in Detroit began the transformation to the "new" Johan Franzén.

Power forward, striker, the star.

The Swede who made nine goals in just four games in the playoff series against Colorado in 2008 and played a legend Gordie Howe's 59 years old club record.

- It's the craziest thing I have ever known. Everything went inside. I remember one of the goals, when their goalie covered the entire case. But somehow I managed to get the puck on edge when I shot so the batter into the one small gap that existed between the shin-guards, "he says.

- But when I first came here I started from the bottom to take a seat and worked with the bits I was worse at. But the mentality here is very different than back home in Sweden and we are trying constantly to develop the qualities you have. At home, it was never someone who said I had a good shot. Here sa lagkompsiarna Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby to me almost immediately, that "you are so great has the best shot to use it more. Go to target and shoot! "

- That was how it started. Then it became both Tomas Holmström and Daniel Cleary injured and then I could take their role and standing in front of goal in the power play. When pucks started to collapse into. Then do I turn it on in a culture where you are looking a hero in each match. In the end, would you be the hero himself.

You could say that Franzen succeeded in that case.

While he has not become accustomed to one hundred percent of the new heroic role yet, even if the worst shame disappeared.

And while other NHL millionaires build huge houses all over Sweden, Smĺland Franzéns drömkĺk only 80 squares.

- It is situated on a lake almost as far into the woods you can get. And away from all to avoid visits, "he says.

But it is noticeable that while he started to enjoy a bit in his new role.

Otherwise, he had never told his story so openly.
Googled

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
DarkReign

BTW, I couldnt help but notice the blogger who wrote this decided to post his frickin' Glamour Shot for his profile pic.

This puts his man-card in serious doubt.

I dont care what country youre from, men dont do Glamour Shots.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
BTW, I couldnt help but notice the blogger who wrote this decided to post his frickin' Glamour Shot for his profile pic.

This puts his man-card in serious doubt.

I dont care what country youre from, men dont do Glamour Shots.
That sounds like something an unpretty person would say. You don't understand what its like being one of the beautiful people. Every photo we take ends up looking like a glamour shot. Its out of our hands.

Old
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
That sounds like something an unpretty person would say. You don't understand what its like being one of the beautiful people. Every photo we take ends up looking like a glamour shot. Its out of our hands.
Haha! U-G-L-Y. He ain't got no alibi - He ugly. Hey hey. He ugly.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Haha! U-G-L-Y. He ain't got no alibi - He ugly. Hey hey. He ugly.
Ugly is such a harsh word, we beautiful people prefer to use the term "unpretty."
Posted via Mobile Device