HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Babych Hired - And Now Glen Hanlon - UPD #84

Old
12-09-2009, 03:52 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Dave Babych Hired - And Now Glen Hanlon - UPD #84

Jim Jamieson of the Province reports:
Quote:
(Babych's) been hired to work in a part-time capacity as an assistant to director of player personnel Dave Gagner. paying particular attention to defencemen.

“I’m excited about it,” said Babych, 48, who scored the game-winner in Game 5 of the 1994 Stanley Cup final.

“I’ll be working with some of the prospects. It won’t be a lot of on-ice stuff right now. I’m just going to follow some of the prospects through the year.”
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...ve-babych.aspx

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 12-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Meganuck*

always good to add somebody in a development aspect. Smart signing as the guy was a good dman in his time and has some ties to the organization.

Here's to hoping he gets the most out of Connauton.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:54 AM
CRDragon
¯\_(シ)_/¯

go teach them how to grow a mustache. haha

CRDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
go teach them how to grow a mustache. haha
Little OT but is it just me or the number of players sporting mustache's a lot higher this season? I remember the Oilers had a few Gagner, Stortini, Stone (I think) but have noticed several more around the NHL as well.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:01 AM
FlowMaster

It was because of Movember. Prostate awareness month.

FlowMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:01 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post
Little OT but is it just me or the number of players sporting mustache's a lot higher this season? I remember the Oilers had a few Gagner, Stortini, Stone (I think) but have noticed several more around the NHL as well.
http://www.movember.com/

JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:03 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by One95 View Post
It is for charity to raise money for prostate cancer research.

Quote:
Movember wraps up for Oilers
Eight Oilers players and 19 Oilers staff members helped raise $25,658
Thursday, 03.12.2009 / 9:18 PM / News
By edmontonoilers.com staff

Movember (the month formerly known as November) is a moustache-growing charity event held during November each year that raises funds and awareness for men's health.

This November the Oilers organization joined the Movember movement raising over $25,000 for Prostate Cancer Canada. Eight Oilers players, the entire Oil Kings roster and 19 staff members spent the month of November growing moustaches while raising $25,658.

“Our organization came together this month, both on and off the ice, to make a significant donation in support of prostate cancer research,” said Natalie Minckler, Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation’s Executive Director. “I’m delighted by the leadership and initiative shown by our staff and players to take action in support of this important cause.”
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...twt-nhl_oilers

Old
12-09-2009, 04:08 AM
B-rock

This is a good idea. Babych is one of the old boys club that's actually worth his salt. He was a damn fine d-man and hopefully can give some input to some of our d prospects.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Hammer79

I can't see any negatives with this move, Babych could be a pretty good hire.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:10 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
This is a good idea. Babych is one of the old boys club that's actually worth his salt. He was a damn fine d-man and hopefully can give some input to some of our d prospects.
Maybe Babych can also work with Bieksa who looks like he is sleepwalking out on the ice half the time.

Old
12-09-2009, 04:19 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Maybe Babych can also work with Bieksa who looks like he is sleepwalking out on the ice half the time.
I think the Jan Bulis memorial cattle prod is needed at this point for Bieksa.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:23 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
I think the Jan Bulis memorial cattle prod is needed at this point for Bieksa.
He just seems way too nonchalant - no urgency to his game. Mind you that could be said of a number of Canucks lately.

Three giveaways by Bieksa against the Preds!!!!

Old
12-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
He just seems way too nonchalant - no urgency to his game. Mind you that could be said of a number of Canucks lately.

That's par for the proverbial course for Bieksa this season. Not sure what the deal is with the Canucks in their defensive zone. If I were Gillis, I'd tell them to stop the bleeding....now.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:51 AM
B-rock

Quote:
We can dream.....

Old
12-09-2009, 06:16 AM
orcatown

Could tell earlier in the year that Babych was looking around for a pay check (getting featured on the Pay per View and such)...and, of course, the Canucks willingly oblige.

Just one more example of the team keeping the alumni happy at the expense of the fans. We have seen over and over again ex-Canuck hired for key positions and, no matter how they screw-up, they stay hired. Delorme and Smyl are glaring examples.

Canuck fans should be demanding that the Canucks be hiring people with proven records of success rather than making the criteria whether someone is in tight with the alumni or whether you are buddy with Gillis (as in the case of Gagner)

This club should be operating in the interests of the loyal and ticket buying fans and not using the team as hobby horse and meal ticket for ex-players and hanger-ons.

It's nuts how people so quickly buy-in to some self serving crap put out by the club about someone (who is obviously incompetent) being a valued member of the organization.

There are some excellent young skill coaches out there who, based on their training and dedication, should get the job well before someone like Babych who, as far as I know, has no recognized expertise in this area. Making this position a sop for some good old boy is really a slap in the face to the fans.

In the off-season, Gillis was talking about how he was leaning on Aquilini to put more money into player development. I guess what he meant was stick more money n the alumni's pockets.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Libor Polasek

Clearly, this team wasn't hairy enough for management's liking.

Dave Babych was a great positional player. He's actually one of the textbook examples of "how you stay in the NHL as you get older by playing good positonal defence". I think all of our D would benefit from a bit of Babych right now.

And, let's not forget that goal he had against the Leafs in the 94 playoff run! That was a timely goal!

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:07 AM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Canuck fans should be demanding that the Canucks be hiring people with proven records of success rather than making the criteria whether someone is in tight with the alumni or whether you are buddy with Gillis (as in the case of Gagner)
You make it sound like Gagner was totally unqualified for the position. On top of having a 17 year NHL career under his belt and a reputation for being a fitness nut, Gagner also owns Custom Rinks Inc., a company that designs and builds training rinks, as well as Powerplay Training Centre, one of the premier hockey training facilities in Ontario. Not to mention the fact that he helped train and develop his own son, who has turned into a pretty good hockey player as well. Neither Gagner or Babych seems like a particularly bad hire to me.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:

Bieksa was lackadaisical against Nashville. Lack a daisical.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Could tell earlier in the year that Babych was looking around for a pay check (getting featured on the Pay per View and such)...and, of course, the Canucks willingly oblige.

Just one more example of the team keeping the alumni happy at the expense of the fans. We have seen over and over again ex-Canuck hired for key positions and, no matter how they screw-up, they stay hired. Delorme and Smyl are glaring examples.

This club should be operating in the interests of the loyal and ticket buying fans and not using the team as hobby horse and meal ticket for ex-players and hanger-ons.

It's nuts how people so quickly buy-in to some self serving crap put out by the club about someone (who is obviously incompetent) being a valued member of the organization.

There are some excellent young skill coaches out there who, based on their training and dedication, should get the job well before someone like Babych who, as far as I know, has no recognized expertise in this area. Making this position a sop for some good old boy is really a slap in the face to the fans.

In the off-season, Gillis was talking about how he was leaning on Aquilini to put more money into player development. I guess what he meant was stick more money n the alumni's pockets.
WTF?
Did you ever watch Babych play hockey? There's a reason he was in the league for over 20 years, and it's because he was a good defenceman. How is Babych "obviously incompetent"?

I guess a guy like Larry Robinson has no expertise either, because, well, he's not a "skill coach" whatever the hell that is....

Old
12-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:

It's just a part-time gig. Relax.

It's a low-risk/high-reward move. I'm sure Gillis see this more as a trial run at the moment. If it works out, he'll be hired on full-time. If it doesn't work out as well as planned, he'll be removed from the position.

This trial run might even show a different skillset that could be used in another capacity for us.

Just curious, do you know of any other quality player development guys out there who are currently out of work?

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:16 AM
FruityPants3*

I love Babych, and he might be great in the position, but I also agree with orcatown's sentiment. Let's not turn into the Oilers. The question needs to be asked with every hire "are you hiring the best person available?" and not just "are you hiring the best ex-Canuck available?"

It's all fine and dandy to have ex-Canucks in the organization, especially in ceremonial positions like the Lions do with Lui, but when your organization is stacked with them, basic statistics suggest you aren't hiring the best person available. You are just creating a culture of nepotism.

What are the odds that Babych was the best person available and just happened to be an ex-Canuck?

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
pitseleh

I don't see what the big deal is. Babych has been coaching and president of the North Shore Winter Club. They've graduated a ton of players that have gone on to be NHLers/high draft picks. Obviously he knows how to work with kids. Plus he was qualified enough to be selected as an assistant coach for Canada at the Deutschland Cup.

You're not going to get someone like a CHL coach to leave his job for a position like this. At least they got someone who obviously has experience and qualifications in this area.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:59 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Part time assistant to the director of player personnel is not exactly the type of position Scotty Bowman will be interviewing for. Considering many of the other ex-players holding positions for other NHL teams, Canucks should be happy they dont have any drunks, ex-cons, or pedophiles for their team.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Ajackalit

Quote:

Or is it nuts to think that just because someone played for the organization they must be incompetent? Seriously, isn’t it likely that Dave Babych accumulated some impartable knowledge over a 1300 game career? Player development, IMO, seems like a good fit for a former (highly touted) 2nd overall pick who was able to handle the pressure thrust upon those first few selected and went on to have a long and very successful career. Furthermore, one would think that a 19 season two time NHL all star is competent to spot deficiencies in our young prospects’ games and work with them to overcome those deficiencies…..wouldn’t one? How in the world (please be specific) is Babych incompetent?

Ajackalit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:35 PM
thefeebster

Did someone not call this in another thread?? Basically stating that we should hire someone with D background and that should help the development of our D-men since all we have really influencing them is Bowness??

Whoever that was, good call. Looks like you and MG think alike.

thefeebster is offline   Reply With Quote