HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Minnesota USHS

Old
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Minnesota USHS

How is it looking for this year's group for the '10 draft? I like what I saw from Tyler Pitlick, might be a good later round pick. Where is Caleb Herbert playing this year, and where does he project for the draft?

Also any word on where these two will be playing, Joey Benik and Seth Ronsberg. Is Benik going to the USHL?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
How is it looking for this year's group for the '10 draft? I like what I saw from Tyler Pitlick, might be a good later round pick. Where is Caleb Herbert playing this year, and where does he project for the draft?

Also any word on where these two will be playing, Joey Benik and Seth Ronsberg. Is Benik going to the USHL?
- Pitlick will be in the WCHA this year with Mankato. With a fantastic year (which I doubt) he could be a 2nd round pick. I think he'll be a later round pick.
- Caleb Herbert will be with Bloomington-Jefferson. I see him as another late rounder.
- Benik will be playing for St. Francis again, and with their extremely weak schedule, he'll minimize his NHL stock. He passed on an opportunity to play in the USHL. I predict he'll go undrafted.
- Seth Ronsberg was draft eligible last year, but had zero exposure in the MnJHL. He'll be with Winkler of the MJHL this season. He wants to earn a scholarship to North Dakota.

As for players that could go in the first three rounds of the 2010 NHL Draft, I like (in order)...

Nick Bjugstad (big forward, great scorer)
Ben Marshall (small, puckmoving defenseman)
Brock Nelson (see Nick Bjugstad)
Max Gardiner (big forward, not as prolific a scorer as Bjugstad, but skates well)

There are a few more forwards from up north that are pretty big and score a lot, but the exposure and schedule strengths might hold them back. Derek Forbort would have been tops on the list, but he took off for the NTDP. There are some smaller forwards from the metro area that will score against some tough opponents, but like Herbert, I don't think they are good enough as to merit top round consideration.

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 04:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exiled One View Post
- Pitlick will be in the WCHA this year with Mankato. With a fantastic year (which I doubt) he could be a 2nd round pick. I think he'll be a later round pick.
- Caleb Herbert will be with Bloomington-Jefferson. I see him as another late rounder.
- Benik will be playing for St. Francis again, and with their extremely weak schedule, he'll minimize his NHL stock. He passed on an opportunity to play in the USHL. I predict he'll go undrafted.
- Seth Ronsberg was draft eligible last year, but had zero exposure in the MnJHL. He'll be with Winkler of the MJHL this season. He wants to earn a scholarship to North Dakota.

As for players that could go in the first three rounds of the 2010 NHL Draft, I like (in order)...

Nick Bjugstad (big forward, great scorer)
Ben Marshall (small, puckmoving defenseman)
Brock Nelson (see Nick Bjugstad)
Max Gardiner (big forward, not as prolific a scorer as Bjugstad, but skates well)

There are a few more forwards from up north that are pretty big and score a lot, but the exposure and schedule strengths might hold them back. Derek Forbort would have been tops on the list, but he took off for the NTDP. There are some smaller forwards from the metro area that will score against some tough opponents, but like Herbert, I don't think they are good enough as to merit top round consideration.
Thanks for the info, I was hoping Benik would go to the USHL (been talking him up to a scout I know)

What schools are Bjugstad, Marshall, Nelson, and Gardiner playing for, since I usually get to watch a few USHS games

Old
09-14-2009, 05:21 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was hoping Benik would go to the USHL (been talking him up to a scout I know)

What schools are Bjugstad, Marshall, Nelson, and Gardiner playing for, since I usually get to watch a few USHS games
Blaine, Mahtomedi, Warroad, and Minnetonka respectively.

Old
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Blaine, Mahtomedi, Warroad, and Minnetonka respectively.
Thanks, not sure if I will get to see any of those schools on fox sports north, but hopefully they show at least one of them.

Old
09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Thanks, not sure if I will get to see any of those schools on fox sports north, but hopefully they show at least one of them.
No problem. Meanwhile, keep tabs on preseason Elite League action here...

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...all&sortby=pts

The top four scorers so far are all 2010 eligible.

Old
09-15-2009, 09:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
No problem. Meanwhile, keep tabs on preseason Elite League action here...

http://www.pointstreak.com/prostats/...all&sortby=pts

The top four scorers so far are all 2010 eligible.
Thanks for the link. Adam Knochenmus looks to be having a good tournament, got any info on him? I see he's on the small side but I've never heard of him before.

Old
09-15-2009, 09:48 AM
mnwildfan79

Quote:
I'd say the chances that at least one of these schools are on FSN are near 100%. You'll probably get a chance to see several of them if not all.

mnwildfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 12:06 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Adam Knochenmus looks to be having a good tournament, got any info on him? I see he's on the small side but I've never heard of him before.
I think he's a good college prospect and could be average to above average in the WCHA. He was at the Select 17 event this summer and did okay... not great.

Christian Isackson from St. Thomas Academy is a bit bigger and actually made the Ivan Hlinka team. Isackson is a better college prospect (could actually be a good WCHA player), but I don't know that even he'd get drafted higher than the 4th round.

A few of those bigger forwards from up north include Garret Hendrickson from Virginia, Brett Hebel from Warroad, and Adam Krause from Hermantown... amongst others. None appear to be the next coming of Oshie, but there's a lot of hockey to play before the 2010 draft.

A few other metro fowards to watch for include Tyson Fulton of Breck and AJ Reid and Justin Crandall of St. Thomas Academy.

The Gophers have two big defensive defensemen lined up will Justin Holl of Minnetonka and Mark Alt of Cretin-Derham Hall. I'm not sure how draftable the scouts see them, but Holl can apparently skate quite well. Brett Stern of Centennial fits into that category as well.

As for goaltenders, you'd normally expect junior experience to be a prerequisite for high draft consideration, but Zane Gothberg of Thief River Falls is apparently somebody special to keep an eye on.

That's enough name dropping for now, hopefully some of these players will do something spectacular and continue the streak of Minnesota High Schoolers going high in the NHL draft!

Old
09-15-2009, 12:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I think he's a good college prospect and could be average to above average in the WCHA. He was at the Select 17 event this summer and did okay... not great.
Thanks for the info, will have to keep this thread handy when they start showing games on tv in a few months.

Old
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Mark Alt of Cretin-Derham Hall.
soft for a big guy, and lacks hockey sense.

Also some guys worth mentioning are D Andrew Prochno of Minnetonka, and Brock Nelson of Warroad.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 05:53 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
The MNHS season is always a mystery. The most important thing to remember is to let it play out.

Players always make huge strides and surprise at the end. Leddy just kept getting better and better. Do not know where he was ranked to start the year. But i am sure it was not as a first rounder.

As for Mark Alt. I have heard him compared to a slower bigger David Fischer. Other accounts have him as a slightly more physical player that is just not quite up to speed with his body. Has laid a few people out, but will sacrfice position to do it. A few adjustments and he could be in the mix. Otherwise you have a less physical Joe Finley.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 07:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Players always make huge strides and surprise at the end. Leddy just kept getting better and better. Do not know where he was ranked to start the year. But i am sure it was not as a first rounder.
Well I know one team that had him as a 1st rounder early in season last year, but they seem to like defensemen from Minnesota more then most other teams.

Old
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
WesternCollegeHockey

Knochenmus is one of the hardest workers you'll ever find, but probably not a kid in the mix to get drafted next year. Also, his grandfather was one of the people that invented the snowmobile.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post

Also some guys worth mentioning are D Andrew Prochno of Minnetonka, and Brock Nelson of Warroad.
Good call on Prochno, it's amazing to me that Holl and Hesketh committed to big name schools before Prochno did.

I mentioned Brock Nelson in my first post in this thread. I had the damnedest time trying to find his birthdate, but the Elite League confirmed what I had expected... he's a late '91... October 15th to be exact. 6'4" with a scorer's touch... c'mon SCSU!!!

Old
09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post

Sorry for the double post... just wanted to update that Prochno committed to SCSU... hopefully Nelson is next!!

Old
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Any good players to be on the lookout for from Edina, Burnsville, Hill-Murray or Benild-St Margaret's? taped the games but not sure when I will get around to watching them.

Old
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
wings5

I see many prospects play for more than one team in High School and in the Elite League. What is this Elite League and why are they playing for more than one team? Someone explain the situation in Minnesota hockey?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I see many prospects play for more than one team in High School and in the Elite League. What is this Elite League and why are they playing for more than one team? Someone explain the situation in Minnesota hockey?
The elite league is a fall league that lets top players play more hockey. With so few MNHS games the elite league lets players just in more games. Its a very offensive league.

I would say more serious players go to the USHL to play before and afer their HS season is done. For many players, Buddish, Lee last year this year Alt. It allows players to play hockey on week ends and play HS football during the week.

Once the high school season starts the elite league goes away.

As a note. Alt has stated he would like to be a D1 QB. Is compaited to Joe Mauer when he was a QB at CDH. He has also stated he would not mind playing DII or maybe DIII to play both. Might greatly effect his draft rankings.

Old
12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
WesternCollegeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Is compaited to Joe Mauer when he was a QB at CDH.
Joe Mauer was the number one rated quarterback in the country. Alt isn't ranked at all, which is especially telling since he got watched a lot this year, playing with the top football recruit in the country.

That said, it sounds like he's way more interested in being a below average college QB than an NHL draft pick. I doubt he gets drafted at this point.

WesternCollegeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternCollegeHockey View Post
Joe Mauer was the number one rated quarterback in the country. Alt isn't ranked at all, which is especially telling since he got watched a lot this year, playing with the top football recruit in the country.

That said, it sounds like he's way more interested in being a below average college QB than an NHL draft pick. I doubt he gets drafted at this point.
It was the coach not Rivals or any thing. And it was about the state championship game only. Should have made that clearer.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Was wondering if there were any players to be on the look out for in regards to the NHL draft this summer. I noticed a number of games are on tv on fox sports so I thought I would dvr some games so any help would be great. Thanks

Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Was wondering if there were any players to be on the look out for in regards to the NHL draft this summer. I noticed a number of games are on tv on fox sports so I thought I would dvr some games so any help would be great. Thanks
Thomas Vannelli, defender for Minnetonka, looks to be a potential pick. Connor Hurley out of Edina could be something as well.

There are a few other guys that could be drafted, but probably not until late rounds. Those two I listed should probably go in the first three rounds, if not earlier. Vannelli might go late 1st/early 2nd.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:45 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Thomas Vannelli, defender for Minnetonka, looks to be a potential pick. Connor Hurley out of Edina could be something as well.

There are a few other guys that could be drafted, but probably not until late rounds. Those two I listed should probably go in the first three rounds, if not earlier. Vannelli might go late 1st/early 2nd.
Thanks, have heard about Hurley so will be on the lookout for Edina. I know 2 games are being shown tonight but didn't check if they were replays or live.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Some of the games i'm dvr ing over the next few days, any players of interest to look out for?

Minneotonka vs Wayzata
Burnsville vs Eagan
Duluth East vs Lakeville
Duluth East vs Lakeville North
Totino Grace vs Mahtomedi