HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Randy Jones (claimed by L.A. Kings)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

vCash: 500
I don't know how anyone can justify keeping Jones here on the 3rd pairing at 2.75 mil a year. I don't give a **** how many goals or points he puts up in LA, he is garbage as a defender. And he is NOT a player we need right now. I'd much rather have Parent play the puck poorly than Jones not play defense, and Bart has been great for only 400k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Because the Flyers powerplay is so effective?
What? Maybe the last couple of games our PP has struggled. But if you think that if we still had Jones, and think that he will sniff any PP time, let alone enough to even make an impact, then you are out of your damn mind.

Old
12-04-2009, 01:01 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Guess you haven't checked lately because now it's #4.
Still, thats clearly ineffective to JXC. Maybe if he actually watched the flyers, instead of Randine Jones, he might have known that fact.

Old
12-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Jester

Whether Randy Jones was a good 3rd/2nd pairing defender is irrelevant and the fact that JXC (or anyone else) thinks its worth talking about simply proves that they cannot grasp simple concepts.

Why?

Due to the salary cap, Randy Jones was nearly impossible to keep on this team this year. The only caveat to this, is that you might have kept him by cutting other players. However, given that Pronger, Timonen, Carle, and Coburn were all ahead of him on the depth chart, that meant that (when healthy) the ice time devoted to Jones would be far beneath the value of his contract. Therefore, the logical move, and the one that Holmgren made, was to shed his salary as opposed to others. At that point, we never should have heard of Jones again this NHL season, because, as argued by myself and numerous others on this board (and elsewhere), someone would claim him if you recalled him and saddle us with dead cap space that we sorely needed.

Randy Jones is good enough to play in the NHL. He is not good enough to play for this Flyers defense at $2.75M, and I imagine it would have been difficult to locate another team in the NHL willing to pay him that much this season based on how his last season ended. Given that no one grabbed him on the way down, I think this is a safe assumption. For half of that, however, clearly teams were interested in him...and Holmgren was an idiot for giving them that opportunity.

Old
12-04-2009, 01:10 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Of course. I'm just saying he's playing 20:00+ out in LA and putting up points and that certainly would be preferable to two rookies at 13:00 who contribute to the Flyers' attack only slightly more than the guy who serves hot dogs and soft pretzels behind section 216.

The Kings got quite a nice asset for their bags of pucks.
Salary cap

Old
12-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Jester

Bump, since JXC wanted to keep the Jones Adoration thread alive, I figured this should get thrown in there.

Quote:
Defenseman Randy Jones didn't play in the 3rd period last night. He was benched.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...-Off/125/24810

Also, King's fans appear to have learned quickly: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=711815

10 pts in 13 games and the majority are putting him in the 6-7 range on the depth chart.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:02 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Congrats! You're on the same Strata of Hockey Intellect as Los Angeles Kings fans.

Give yourself a pat on the back for me!!!

Old
12-09-2009, 11:04 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Congrats! You're on the same strata of hockey intellect as Los Angeles Kings fans.

Give yourself a pat on the back for me!!!

Terry Murray benched him, not the fans

Old
12-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Jester

It's cool JXC. Been a tough couple of months for you...our two main arguments have resulted in:

1) Randy Jones being waived, every team in the league deciding his contract sucked; winding up (by yet another moronic GMing decision) with the Kings at half the cost, where he's been benched (despite producing at an absurd clip) in a game, and that fan base has already decided he's not that good.

(I suppose we'll ignore that your response to this is to insinuate that Kings fans are stupid. At least your kindergarten view of the world and disagreements hasn't matured in the slightest. But it's cool, I guess you can dish it--Jones statistical gloating in this very thread--but fall into full on brat when it comes back the other direction.)

2) John Stevens finally got canned...which, I'll admit, even shocked me in how it all transpired.

It's OK to lash out for a while.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's cool JXC. Been a tough couple of months for you...our two main arguments have resulted in:

1) Randy Jones being waived, every team in the league deciding his contract sucked; winding up (by yet another moronic GMing decision) with the Kings at half the cost, where he's been benched (despite producing at an absurd clip) in a game, and that fan base has already decided he's not that good.

(I suppose we'll ignore that your response to this is to insinuate that Kings fans are stupid. At least your kindergarten view of the world and disagreements hasn't matured in the slightest. But it's cool, I guess you can dish it--Jones statistical gloating in this very thread--but fall into full on brat when it comes back the other direction.)

2) John Stevens finally got canned...which, I'll admit, even shocked me in how it all transpired.

It's OK to lash out for a while.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
UseYourAllusion

still don't know why you guys let JXC get you all riled up.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Heh, I'm not riled up at all. I'm just poking.

I mean, nothing says high intellect like blinking gifs on the internet, right?

Old
12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

have you been looking at my MySpace?

Old
12-09-2009, 11:26 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Old
12-09-2009, 11:30 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post

Old
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

My browser is going wild with all these animations. Even the YouTube player is dancing.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
What a perfect post count to call this the end.

Good luck to Jones in LA and his future endeavors. Any further discussion on his production (or lack there of...) can be discussed on our sticky thread for NHL talk.

Cheers.

Closed Thread