HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Dead line trade: Top 4 defensemen vs 3rd line center

View Poll Results: Dead line trade: Top 4 defensemen vs 3rd line center
Defensemen 3 27.27%
3rd line center 8 72.73%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Dead line trade: Top 4 defensemen vs 3rd line center

assuming Coburn and Timonen improve at some point during the season. (yeah, I know big assumption the way Coburn is playing now days)

Dead line trade.. What position would you upgrade?

Flyers have about 600K in cap space and no 1st round picks.

If you could only make one move what would it be? Upgrade to d-men (veteran top defensemen) or veteran 3rd line center.

Can mods upgrade poll and add option neither.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-09-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:38 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Neither, we don't need either one if/when we're healthy right now.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:41 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Neither, we don't need either one if/when we're healthy right now.
Being 100% healthy for a four round playoff run is a near impossibility.

If the Flyers were to acquire anyone around the deadline, I'd like it to be another checking centre; the Flyers have plenty capable top 6 centres, but no one who can really fill in if Betts goes down (unless Pyro makes remarkable strides over the next 5 months).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

No thanks or anymore trades. This stuff always comes back to bite us. Just leave the team the way it is....

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Cleary84

It hurts to say this....I love the man to death and I'm thankful for all he's done over the years.

But if we were to absolutely have to trade anyone, it would be Gags for 1st and 2nd rounders and a capable third line center. (let me know if that's not enough)

Betts is fantastic, but 2 injuries in the first half have to leave one wondering if he can go through more.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Being 100% healthy for a four round playoff run is a near impossibility.

If the Flyers were to acquire anyone around the deadline, I'd like it to be another checking centre; the Flyers have plenty capable top 6 centres, but no one who can really fill in if Betts goes down (unless Pyro makes remarkable strides over the next 5 months).
Yeah but you have to consider a couple things, A) we have no assets to give up and B) the last thing we need is any more contracts for next year and years beyond.

I also think that outside of FOs (which is to be expected), Pyro's done a really good job at 3rd line C, it's not his job to score goals right now, but he's doing a nice job creating some offense and playing good D and PK.

The FOs have lost some importance considering that Richie seems to have made some strides in that area and even Carter is hovering about 50% right now.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I wouldnt mind 1 more good forward so we can roll 3 scoring lines

Matt Cullen if the money works, apparently PLav loves him

Hartnell-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Cullen-Pyorala
XXX-Betts-Lapperiere

xxx= Carcillo, Powe, Asham, Kalinski

Other possibilities: Nolan, Tkachuk,

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 12-09-2009 at 11:56 AM.
HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Jester

If we had maintained our cap cushion, I would have been interested in a deal for a FO winning third line guy. However, given where we are at with the cap, it seems like any such deal would be somewhat unpalatable based on how we'd have to make it work/what we'd have to give up to make it work.

So, I vote neither...with the view that true 3rd line center would be nice. Think, Betts but with marginal offensive ability.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
A little early to be talking about trade deadline, no?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Yeah but you have to consider a couple things, A) we have no assets to give up and B) the last thing we need is any more contracts for next year and years beyond.

I also think that outside of FOs (which is to be accepted), Pyro's done a really good job at 3rd line C, it's not his job to score goals right now, but he's doing a nice job creating some offense and playing good D and PK.

The FOs have lost some importance considering that Richie seems to have made some strides in that area and even Carter is hovering about 50% right now.
I don't really want to see a move made, but if the Flyers are indeed trying to win now, they'll probably have to make a depth acquisition.

There are always depth guys available near the deadline, many of whom are on expiring contracts that don't require large price tags; that's the kind of player that I would like to see added, should the Flyers make a move.

Pyro's done a decent job and may continue to do so, but I'd still rather see the Flyers acquire an experienced depth centre that has been through the playoff grind.... if a move was to be made.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I don't really want to see a move made, but if the Flyers are indeed trying to win now, they'll probably have to make a depth acquisition.

There are always depth guys available near the deadline, many of whom are on expiring contracts that don't require large price tags; that's the kind of player that I would like to see added, should the Flyers make a move.

Pyro's done a decent job and may continue to do so, but I'd still rather see the Flyers acquire an experienced depth centre that has been through the playoff grind.... if a move was to be made.
The thing is that guys like that don't come cheap. I mean, we have no high picks the next couple years, the prospect pool is thin, and a veteran 3rd line C at the deadline is going to cost 1.50 on the dollar, particularly a cheap one which is what we'd need.

A bottom 6 featuring that Lappy-Betts-Carcillo line and then some combination of Gagne/Pyro/Asham/Powe/Kalinski is nothing to sneeze at IMO.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:12 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
The thing is that guys like that don't come cheap. I mean, we have no high picks the next couple years, the prospect pool is thin, and a veteran 3rd line C at the deadline is going to cost 1.50 on the dollar, particularly a cheap one which is what we'd need.

A bottom 6 featuring that Lappy-Betts-Carcillo line and then some combination of Gagne/Pyro/Asham/Powe/Kalinski is nothing to sneeze at IMO.
Travis Moen AND Kent Huskins were acquired for a goaltending prospect (Timo Pielmeier), a forward prospect (Nick Bonino) and a 2009 conditional pick last year.

Granted, Moen isn't a centre, but the Sharks improved both their checking line depth and defensive depth without paying 1.50 on the dollar.

Again, I stated I didn't necessarily want the Flyers to make a move.... if they did, I'd rather they fill out their depth.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:14 PM
BlueCollarCaptain

If we had to absolutely make a trade come deadline time, I think it should be a defensive upgrade. Anything to make Emery's life even remotely easier come playoff time is a plus in my books.

BlueCollarCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory View Post
If we had to absolutely make a trade come deadline time, I think it should be a defensive upgrade. Anything to make Emery's life even remotely easier come playoff time is a plus in my books.
I'm not sure if I make the trade for a defenseman. If Marshall and Bourdon are playing lots with the Phantoms and if they're ready, to me anyways, it would make more sense to call one of those guys up to play. Yeah, the defense would be really young, but at the same point, you wouldn't have to worry about tired legs come playoff time.

I also think the loss of Betts just goes to show how much the Flyers really need a center who can win key faceoffs. It would be great if Carter and Richards showed improvement in that area, but having a sure thing just in case Betts gets hurt again wouldn't be a bad idea.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Travis Moen AND Kent Huskins were acquired for a goaltending prospect (Timo Pielmeier), a forward prospect (Nick Bonino) and a 2009 conditional pick last year.

Granted, Moen isn't a centre, but the Sharks improved both their checking line depth and defensive depth without paying 1.50 on the dollar.

Again, I stated I didn't necessarily want the Flyers to make a move.... if they did, I'd rather they fill out their depth.
I don't know about Pielmeier and the conditional pick, but Bonino is probably the best player in Hockey East this year and could definitely have a serious NHL future, so I'd say he's a pretty good prospect.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Kaktus*

Patrick Marleau C SJ $6,300,000 Can't afford it and won't be available.
Olli Jokinen C CGY $5,500,000 Can't afford it and won't be available.
AntoineVermette C CBJ $3,000,000 I think he signed a long term deal.
John Madden C CHI $2,750,000 Won't be available.
Mike Modano C DAL $2,250,000 Will retire as Dallas Star
Glen Metropolit C MTL $1,000,000 No interest. Been there done that.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Pavol Demitra C VAN $4,000,000 limited interest/no interest
Doug Weight C NYI $2,000,000 limited interest if we won't get Koivu or Cullen
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Saku Koivu C ANA $3,250,000 what doctor ordered (If Koivu is healthy and Ducks are not making playoffs)
Matt Cullen C CAR $2,800,000 Played well under Lavi, affordable option SC champ.
MatthewLombardi C PHX $2,350,000 I haven't watched him play lately. Based on his numbers and contract. Some interest.

Old
12-09-2009, 01:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
We are too much against the cap right now to even consiter making a move.
I wouldnt mind Cullen but we cant afford him. Same goes with Koivu.
Doesnt Koivu have a NTC in Anaheim?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
Koivu only has a one year deal and pretty sure he would agree to a trade if the ducks are out of the playoff race. and on the one year deal there wont be anything left on the salary for us to pay. wont take much salary space.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
mm6492

3rd ine center if Betts shulder is messed up (can eh stay healthy???)

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
Koivu only has a one year deal and pretty sure he would agree to a trade if the ducks are out of the playoff race. and on the one year deal there wont be anything left on the salary for us to pay. wont take much salary space.
What would it cost us??

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
What would it cost us??
Matsumoto and 5th would be a price i would pay

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
Due to LTIR, that is almost entirely irrelevant, unfortunately.

Old
12-09-2009, 01:38 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Due to LTIR, that is almost entirely irrelevant, unfortunately.
Pretty much, we are not allowed to exceed the daily limit at any point of the season. Therefore, in order to add a big salary, we have to clear one, even if the season ends in a week.

LTIR for Gagne would free up space, but who wants to be without Gagne for much longer?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Kaktus*

30 games of Koivu will cost Flyers about 1.2M. We have about 600K now and if we send a contract Ducks way a contract like Asham for instance plus a pick or a prospect..

No no good?

Old
12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
30 games of Koivu will cost Flyers about 1.2M. We have about 600K now and if we send a contract Ducks way a contract like Asham for instance plus a pick or a prospect..

No no good?
No, it doesn't work like that due to the LTIR. Essentially, we've spent all our money (and then some). So, you have to just tack on whatever you get and make sure it fits under the umbrella (in total).

To a certain extent, it makes it easier to figure out...but it does mean we're a bit more restricted in making a deal than we would be otherwise.