HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund: Oilers and Rangers talk Heats Up

Old
12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dubinsky for Cogliano would be a terrible, terrible trade.

Just brutal.
Not only do you give up a valauble asset, you give up size when we can't afford it, and we get back a guy who doesn't clearly address our needs, just another gamble.

If we deal Dubinsky we have to get a proven scorer. I'm starting to think the Heatley deal was the way to go.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Dubinsky - 4/26/86 - 6'1" 205 lbs. - 2.81 lbs/in
82-14-26-40
82-13-28-41
18-3-7-10

Cogliano - 6/14/87 - 5'10" 184 lbs. - 2.63 lbs/in
82-18-27-45
82-18-20-38
30-3-5-8

I don't see why the Rangers would do this... Not only that, but I'd have to listen to Sam & Joe butcher another Italian name for 82 games a season.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Eklund = Garbage

Dubi for Cogliano? NO Thanks.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Not only do you give up a valauble asset, you give up size when we can't afford it, and we get back a guy who doesn't clearly address our needs, just another gamble.

If we deal Dubinsky we have to get a proven scorer. I'm starting to think the Heatley deal was the way to go.
I was against it back in the summer.

But boy, secondary scoring problems go away really quick when you could put two elite snipers on your first two lines.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:03 PM
AXN

If the Rangers trade a wing like Kotalik or Lisin and get Cogliano then it would make sense. The Rangers need Dubinsky.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
If the Rangers trade a wing like Kotalik or Lisin and get Cogliano then it would make sense. The Rangers need Dubinsky.
Gotta give to get.

Kotalik is a guy the Oilers had last year and passed on him. Now they're going to trade Cogliano to get him? And Lisin is stil a question mark.

12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I was against it back in the summer.

But boy, secondary scoring problems go away really quick when you could put two elite snipers on your first two lines.
Yeah I was leaning towards keeping Dubi, now not so much if we could add a scoring winger.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:35 PM
haveandare

Doesn't the fact that then sens were willing to lose heatley for dubinski prove that he's expected to have a pretty high ceiling? I know that heatley had his issues with the team, but I'm sure the sens weren't giving Sather this deal without trying to get as much as they could. No teams wants to take a loss if they can avoid it. I think we should hold on to dubi. Heatley would have been nice, but we got gaborik and he's putting up better numbers than healty is and he has a much worse supporting cast. We don't need and can't afford another guy who can carry a team, we need our people to help him out.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Add Zack Stortini to the deal and i am up for it
Really? Zach Stortni is the deal breaker for you? Haha sure he is gritty but the guy is not the best fighter out there.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Really? Zach Stortni is the deal breaker for you? Haha sure he is gritty but the guy is not the best fighter out there.
Stortini is widely known as a "hugger", but his fights this season looks better. And the guy can actually play hockey too... I'd take him over Brash for sure.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
NYR Viper

What about if the Oilers were willing to do something like this?

Hemsky + Cogliano + Souray

Rozsival + Dubinsky + ?

Would people around here be interested? I know Hemsky is out for the rest of the season but if the Oilers were willing to move him in order to get their players in the fold now would it be worth it in the long run? IMO it would definitely be worth it.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
What about if the Oilers were willing to do something like this?

Hemsky + Cogliano + Souray

Rozsival + Dubinsky + ?

Would people around here be interested? I know Hemsky is out for the rest of the season but if the Oilers were willing to move him in order to get their players in the fold now would it be worth it in the long run? IMO it would definitely be worth it.
Depends on what the + on our end becomes. I'd imagine it would have to be quite a bit.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Depends on what the + on our end becomes. I'd imagine it would have to be quite a bit.
Quite a bit in terms of cap space as well.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Probably, was only hypothetical. If the Rangers and Sather truly believe this season may be a rebuilding year of sorts than a trade like that may make sense as Hemsky's value would be less as he is hurt for the rest of the season. Now would be the time to do it.

Old
12-09-2009, 04:32 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

wasting brandon dubinsky on cogliano is stupid. adding brandon dubinsky to a larger deal will bring us back better value. that deal does nothing to help us and in fact makes us smaller.

i do believe that dubis days are numbered. weve struggled with him in the lineup and without him, hes not particularly important either way. hes expendable and moveable and more importantly, theres still some demand for him now. if we dont move him now or atleast soon, well be kicking ourselves down the line when he continues to be just another 3rd line type who eventually plays his way into reduced value. just like we did with prucha. there was a time he petr prucha was "untouchable" and then within 18 mos, he was basically unwanted.

lets not let the same happen with brandon. move him while we can but not for cogliano who is just another random 3rd liner with good speed.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

i still like dubi's upside. The problem with both guys (dubi and cogs) isnt that they need a change of scenery or new linemates. They have both been handed very nice situations in terms of responsibility and iced time, although Cogliano may want out of EDM more than Dubi wants out of NY.

The trade wont solve much. What sather needs to focus on is shedding salary or acquiring a guy with star power. The only kind of immediate help on offense this team should entertain is a guy like heatley of nash or Kovalchuk...and those opportunites passed.

Like everybody said, its a lateral mover and wont solve anything.

Blockbuster trade or mini fire-sale, would be my course of action

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
wasting brandon dubinsky on cogliano is stupid. adding brandon dubinsky to a larger deal will bring us back better value. that deal does nothing to help us and in fact makes us smaller.

i do believe that dubis days are numbered. weve struggled with him in the lineup and without him, hes not particularly important either way. hes expendable and moveable and more importantly, theres still some demand for him now. if we dont move him now or atleast soon, well be kicking ourselves down the line when he continues to be just another 3rd line type who eventually plays his way into reduced value. just like we did with prucha. there was a time he petr prucha was "untouchable" and then within 18 mos, he was basically unwanted.

lets not let the same happen with brandon. move him while we can but not for cogliano who is just another random 3rd liner with good speed.
Art thou Enver Lisin!?

IMO, keep dubinsky. His potential will be reached based on a lot of ifs, but that is the case for most players. I'd rather have his frame and potential.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:56 PM
ThisYearsModel

Duby for Cogliano is a non-starter. In fact, I don't see the Rangers and Oilers as a good match for any deal that would make a difference. Perhaps swapping veteran defensemen whose contracts are too big...........Redden for Souray? Otherwise I don't see a match.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Art thou Enver Lisin!?

IMO, keep dubinsky. His potential will be reached based on a lot of ifs, but that is the case for most players. I'd rather have his frame and potential.
as opposed to random 3rd liners with average speed like

dreary
callahan
higgins
dubinsky
kotalik
avery

in fact our entire top 8 forwards not named gaborik and prospal- whos really a 2nd liner?

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 12-09-2009 at 06:01 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:13 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
what if the trade was Dubinsky + Higgins for Cogliano + osullivan?

the Rangers get some scoring help while dumping Higgins. The Oilers get bigger which is what we need. The Rangers also get almost 1 mill in cap space to allow for a deadline move. 1 mill at the deadline gets you a 4-5 mill per year player.
I don't think trading Higgins will be beacuse we want to "dump" him. If it was Kotalik...or Roszival...then we'd be "dumping" them considering they're just god awful. At least Higgins is forechecking, creating chances, getting shots on goal, etc.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:22 PM
chip chipperson*

the only way i would trade dubinsky is in a package deal to get an elite type of scorer.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
the only way i would trade dubinsky is in a package deal to get an elite type of scorer.
That is on a good contract. I definitely wouldnt mind moving him for a comparable winger. Not sure who that might be but to me that type of deal would make sense as the Rangers have players who can play center in the foreseeable future and lack a goal scorer on the wings. Possibly something like Dubinsky + Sanguinetti for Ryan?

Old
12-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think trading Higgins will be beacuse we want to "dump" him. If it was Kotalik...or Roszival...then we'd be "dumping" them considering they're just god awful. At least Higgins is forechecking, creating chances, getting shots on goal, etc.
for some reason (and I am probably wrong), I thought Higgins was brought in to be part of the Heately deal and Slats didn't really want him in the first place.

Not sure why I think this, probably read it somewhere and it has stuck in my memory as one of those odd things that seem to happen to the Rangers.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Richter35

What was the deal that slats said no to?
Dubi, Zherdev, and Roszival for Heatley?

looks foolish now

re: cogliano for dubi
lateral move at best, at worst we get smaller and less grittier than we are already. not exactly the best move.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
as opposed to random 3rd liners with average speed like

dreary
callahan
higgins
dubinsky
kotalik
avery

in fact our entire top 8 forwards not named gaborik and prospal- whos really a 2nd liner.
Sadly, we don't have one.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote