HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber called up

Old
12-09-2009, 06:39 PM
De Montreal
help

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Young players can improve. I mean with that kind of reasoning, we should never call him up again.
Very well said. I thought they'd with someone steadier in his own zone, because we lack two good defensive guys, but Weber is overall better than Belle or Carle IMO

Thus being said, Spaceman has been one of my favorite player so far this season and I hope he don't miss any game.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Young players can improve. I mean with that kind of reasoning, we should never call him up again.
Yes, progress... but from his last stint, which in the grand spectrum of development is not a long a time ago, he looked like he needed more than 20 games or so in the AHL...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Kind of cool that Weber gets another shot.

Last call-up he had, this team was a complete mess.

As for Carle, nothing against him, but he was non-factor (not bad, but didn't initiate anything, which is pretty odd for an offensive D-man) and has the worst GA/G avg on the Habs (fairly small sample, but not the kind of thing I'd expect from a guy that didn't take many chances).

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I think this is just a case of Weber is the best fit for who's out. Spacek plays quite a bit of time on the PP (and Mara does too), so Gainey and Boucher decided that Weber was best equipped to fill that void. I look forward to seeing how Weber has progressed defensively as well.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I know this is a long shot but there have been a few rumours swirling in regards to Montreal looking for a partner to trade with. Maybe some teams asked to get a NHL look at Weber thus the reason he was called up ahead of Carle who was very good in his short time in Montreal.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I think this is just a case of Weber is the best fit for who's out. Spacek plays quite a bit of time on the PP (and Mara does too), so Gainey and Boucher decided that Weber was best equipped to fill that void. I look forward to seeing how Weber has progressed defensively as well.
He's MAB 2.0!!! WAB? (prounced Veb)

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
euphrates

i want subban

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:00 PM
kent_carlson

Maybe it is time to give him a bit of exposure before Gainey's next splash, but just maybe ...

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
PK is definitely outplaying the both of them... I'm happy they're letting him stay in the AHL, he'll come up ready to shine.
Must be really hard for motivation though, Carle has no future in the NHL and Weber has struggled all year while Subban is just getting better and better, not to mention he has way more potential then both those players. I'm all for letting the kid find his game and dominate at a lower level, but the call-up should be to the better player right? At this moment that player is Subban.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Good,I'm a big fan of Weber,a full year wouldn't have hurt him in Hamilton but he could help this team out right now,hope he does well

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
This is why you wonder about the Habs brain trusts. Carle has been a better player in the AHL and also for his brief stint with the Habs. Yet Weber who has struggled both offensively and defensively gets the call.
This place is unreal ! As if you know more than Boucher and Gainey ! Please, stick to the arm chair and relax. Oh no he has been struggling, he should never be called up again ! He is higher on the depth chart get over it !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
lol at those judging Boucher/Gainey/Martin on that one. They know something you don't.

Weber's upside is way higher than Carle's. A good stint in Montreal could mark the start of a good sequence for him.
God forbid we discuss the moves of our favorite team on a hockey discussion board.

I guess we could say the exact same thing about you and your obsessive Pacioretty belongs in the AHL comments. I guess Gainey and Martin know something you don't.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Habs13

Carle or Belle would have been a better call-up, IMO.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Great to hear, I really hope that this time we stick with players from the organization and don't grab somebody off waivers. Weber might not be ready yet, but he needs those bits of NHL experience.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
vaya

weber can play the 2nd power play in spacek's wake, and gill or gorges will have to step up defensively in 5 on 5 situations.

vaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:04 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingKostitsyn View Post
Its a scheme to shoot his confidence up. We don't risk much by doing so except increasing his value.
This is the only explanation. He's the least NHL ready from the "big three" offensive D prospects.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
This is the only explanation. He's the least NHL ready from the "big three" offensive D prospects.
Yannick Weber :
NHL : 9 games, 1 goal, 3 points
AHL : 80 games, 17 goals, 50 points

Mathieu Carle :
NHL : 3 games, 0 points
AHL : 143 games, 18 goals, 63 points

PK Subban :
AHL : 25 games, 5 goals, 14 points

You base yourself on what exactly?

Unless you mean to say because Weber had a hard time early in the season (when basically the whole team struggled), he's become AHL fodder and should be buried behind a guy who has less NHL experience (and productivity) but more AHL games (and less productivity), who was OK during his short time here, and a guy who just started getting accustomed to the AHL. Because that would make total sense.

Not.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Mathieu Carle sucks and will probably end up being 5, 6 or a 7th d. Weber has a chance to be a top 4.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
i want subban
Me too!! It would be nice to get PK a game or two so he can go back to Hamilton and put those refinements to his game that will need to make him to let him suceed if he gets a call later in the year.

Now, he usually spends most of the time being solid defensively - but when he turns it up, look out, the other team begs for the Dogs to score to get a rest - like the 3rd goal tonight against Abbotsford, leftside, spinarama, shot, right side , shot, goal by Trotter - the kid was all over the ice - the Heat were grasping by the time the goal went in.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:51 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Mathieu Carle sucks and will probably end up being 5, 6 or a 7th d. Weber has a chance to be a top 4.
Finally someone who looks beyond language and gets it !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:06 PM
le_sean

Hopefully Martin actually gives him PP time during this stint.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Maybe Gainey and them want to do to PK what LA did to Cammy. He completely annihilated the ahl but they kept him there the whole season. PK seems to be on pace for a 50 pt season with Hamilton this year... he played great tonight btw hamilton won 5-1 he got 2 assists.

We got Weber and Carle who can play in the NHL. Since we have the time and depth, might as well not rush Subban like we have done to so many other prospects.

As for Weber being called up before Carle. I think it is based on PP skills. Since both our second PP blue liners are out... we will need Weber and Gorges to step it up on the second unit. Maybe Boucher helped his defensive play a bit as well. We will find out tomorrow.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:13 PM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
Maybe Gainey and them want to do to PK what LA did to Cammy. He completely annihilated the ahl but they kept him there the whole season. PK seems to be on pace for a 50 pt season with Hamilton this year... he played great tonight btw hamilton won 5-1 he got 2 assists.

We got Weber and Carle who can play in the NHL. Since we have the time and depth, might as well not rush Subban like we have done to so many other prospects.

As for Weber being called up before Carle. I think it is based on PP skills. Since both our second PP blue liners are out... we will need Weber and Gorges to step it up on the second unit. Maybe Boucher helped his defensive play a bit as well. We will find out tomorrow.
Good call on the PP - I would say that is very likely the reason he got the slight edge over Carle and earned the call up.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post

I always thought the comparison of Subban's development to Mike Green's development was a valid one.

They had similar stats in the Juniors if you factor in that Mike Green played in the less offensive WHL. Both have similar styles, blah blah.

My point being is that Mike Green played most of his first pro year in the AHL with Hershey and had a stint with the Caps later, even starting in the AHL the next season too. And look at the Caps top scoring defenceman in 2005-06: Ben Clymer. You cannot tell me that they did not desperately need a guy like Green on the team. What do they do though? They let him develop in the AHL with Bruce Boudreau as his coach, kind of like PK with Guy Boucher.

I think they are not taking any chances with the kid because they know he is damn special.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
MarkovsKnee

I'm looking forward to seeing Weber in the line-up. I like him even though he had a tough start to the season with the Habs this year, but then who didn't.

I'm glad they're giving him a second chance and I'm looking forward to seeing if he has settled down and improved with Boucher as his coach for the last two months.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote