HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella's System Cannot Work with this Roster

Old
12-09-2009, 11:32 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
In the end, Torts couldn't even get it done with the Lightning - and his last team there had Richards, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Prospal, AND Dan Boyle. Ranger roster isn't even going to SNIFF that kind of skill for years and years.
To be fair, in 2008 Boyle was hurt and they were getting horrible goaltending.

Torts is a good coach but it's obvious he, like Renney before he was fired, has lost control of the team.

I would like to see Torts stick around and rebuild the organization with young guys. We just have to endure some more pain for two more years.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

we lost, in OT, on the road, to arguably the best team in the NHL, definitely one of the 3 best teams.

Please.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:35 PM
NYRangers1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
we lost, in OT, on the road, to arguably the best team in the NHL, definitely one of the 3 best teams.

Please.
Are you kidding me? Are you delusional?

Its not the fact that we lost. Even if we had won, it was PATHETIC. Only reason it wasn't 10-1 was lundqvist.

If we had won 1-0 i woulda been just as rip**** pissed off as I am now...It's not about the score in this game, its about the effort....or the lack thereof.

NYRangers1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1388 View Post
Are you kidding me? Are you delusional?

Its not the fact that we lost. Even if we had won, it was PATHETIC. Only reason it wasn't 10-1 was lundqvist.

If we had won 1-0 i woulda been just as rip**** pissed off as I am now...It's not about the score in this game, its about the effort....or the lack thereof.
well duh...why the hell do you think we pay him as much as we do? THATS HIS JOB!!!! Other teams have franchise centerman, franchise defenseman, etc. we have a franchise goalie. we pay him over 10% of our cap for a reason. you need your best players to be your best players. Henrik was superb tonight, and thats why we got a point, on the road, against arguably one of the best teams in the world.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:44 PM
NYRangers1388

Quote:
well duh...why the hell do you think we pay him as much as we do? THATS HIS JOB!!!! Other teams have franchise centerman, franchise defenseman, etc. we have a franchise goalie. we pay him over 10% of our cap for a reason. you need your best players to be your best players. Henrik was superb tonight, and thats why we got a point, on the road, against arguably one of the best teams in the world.
You act as if we have played well in the last 15 games nad then had 1 bad game where our franchise goalie bailed us out.

WE WERE AWFUL NOT JUST TONIGHT, ITS A RECURRING THEME? DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE GAMES?

NYRangers1388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:47 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

Please.

I think the issue was that the team basically didnt show up for any period and started taking lazy penalties.

If you watch the tape, the Hawks had the puck a lot but the majority of their shots were long bombs with no one in front or wide angle shots. henrik took care of the really good scoring chances.

You could just tell how passive and timid the forwards were tonight. No passes were tape-to-tape. Lots of weak attampts at splitting the D...

It was just a horrible display of hockey.

However, they got a point on a night where a lot of teams ahead of them lost in regulation.

It's just at this point, what do we want out of this season -- mediocrity and no playoffs or tanking and a lottery pick?

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I think the issue was that the team basically didnt show up for any period and started taking lazy penalties.

If you watch the tape, the Hawks had the puck a lot but the majority of their shots were long bombs with no one in front or wide angle shots. henrik took care of the really good scoring chances.

You could just tell how passive and timid the forwards were tonight. No passes were tape-to-tape. Lots of weak attampts at splitting the D...

It was just a horrible display of hockey.

However, they got a point on a night where a lot of teams ahead of them lost in regulation.

It's just at this point, what do we want out of this season -- mediocrity and no playoffs or tanking and a lottery pick?
not sure i really agree with any of this. Quite honestly, I think we were just overmatched against a team lightyears ahead of us. I wouldnt put that on the team, or the coach, i just give credit to that other club. They are fooking awesome. Watching the Hawks play is like watching near perfect hockey. its amazing really.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers1388 View Post
You act as if we have played well in the last 15 games nad then had 1 bad game where our franchise goalie bailed us out.

WE WERE AWFUL NOT JUST TONIGHT, ITS A RECURRING THEME? DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE GAMES?
weve actually played fairly well in the past 5 or so games.

We outplayed Detroit IMHO, Buffalo was close, tonight we were badly outplayed, but our goalie did what he has to do, and kept us in it, the game against Pittsburgh it was what 2-2 with 6 minutes to go or something?

we have an incredibly difficult schedule right now and most of these games are going right down to the wire, be it because of the team play, the goalie, or what have you, were not putting it all together, maybe a small shakeup is in order, maybe we are missing Dubinsky more than we realized...not really sure, but i think people are overreacting big time.

Old
12-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Inferno... we were overmatched, for sure. But the forwards did a pretty bad job taking advantage of when they actually had the puck. How many times did they turn the puck over due to not playing the puck hard?

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Inferno... we were overmatched, for sure. But the forwards did a pretty bad job taking advantage of when they actually had the puck. How many times did they turn the puck over due to not playing the puck hard?
im not sure i saw turnovers so much as takeaways, Chicago was in our face, and right on our skaters the moment we touched the puck, guys had no room to skate...that team is so damn fast its scary. fast, skilled, and very high hockey IQ all across that club, they are a juggernaut that will in all likelyhood win at least 1 cup in the next 3 years.

Old
12-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
im not sure i saw turnovers so much as takeaways, Chicago was in our face, and right on our skaters the moment we touched the puck, guys had no room to skate...that team is so damn fast its scary. fast, skilled, and very high hockey IQ all across that club, they are a juggernaut that will in all likelyhood win at least 1 cup in the next 3 years.
I saw the takeaways happen too. I also saw at least 5 flubbed passes (two of which were Avery's) in the offensive zone, which had nothing to do with skating at the time they happened.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I saw the takeaways happen too. I also saw at least 5 flubbed passes (two of which were Avery's) in the offensive zone, which had nothing to do with skating at the time they happened.
i suppose, i mean, these guys are human after all, nobody is going to make 100% perfect passes 100% of the time, especially under the constant barrage they were under.

*shrugs*

I guess im a little different here, im not calling this a Rangers loss so much as a Blackhawks win. I thought that team just put on a show tonight.

Old
12-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
To be fair, in 2008 Boyle was hurt and they were getting horrible goaltending.

Torts is a good coach but it's obvious he, like Renney before he was fired, has lost control of the team.

I would like to see Torts stick around and rebuild the organization with young guys. We just have to endure some more pain for two more years.
Very true about the goaltending ... Khabibulin was the difference maker in Tampa's Cup run. But to be fair - the Lightning was bad the seasons immediately preceding Boyle being injured.

I agree the Rangers are in full rebuild now and I suspect things will get better for you all in the next few years. I'm honestly not sure that Torts will survive the rebuild, however - he has such a rotten temper and temperament and players simply aren't intimidated by such harpy antics over a long period of time and tune out voices like Torts'.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:34 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
i suppose, i mean, these guys are human after all, nobody is going to make 100% perfect passes 100% of the time, especially under the constant barrage they were under.

*shrugs*

I guess im a little different here, im not calling this a Rangers loss so much as a Blackhawks win. I thought that team just put on a show tonight.
If you are content with the way the Rangers performed tonight then you have set the bar so low for this team that it is impossible to be disappointed. Which may not be a bad idea, I may start doing that as well.

For once I actually agree with Torts in his press conference. He said we played like we didn't really care, outside of Hank and the Pk'ers. I think he was dead on. It was an atrocious effort. We looked like an AHL team playing an NHL team tonight.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:05 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
If you are content with the way the Rangers performed tonight then you have set the bar so low for this team that it is impossible to be disappointed. Which may not be a bad idea, I may start doing that as well.

For once I actually agree with Torts in his press conference. He said we played like we didn't really care, outside of Hank and the Pk'ers. I think he was dead on. It was an atrocious effort. We looked like an AHL team playing an NHL team tonight.
I thought of this thread by the 2nd period when I was watching the game. This team is a forechecking puck controll system?

Either change the system of get some players that better fit these roles. If any fan didn't feel bad for Hank when they scored on that last goal I don't know what to say. After he made an AMAZING save again before it being flipped over him. Gilroy would be our 7th defender and I think that was the plan before Semenov decided to leave last minute.

1 SHOT ON GOAL IN THE 3RD!!!!!!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:25 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Quote:

*shrugs*

That's what good teams do. They dominate bad teams. And that's what happened tonight. A very good team dominated a pretty bad one. The bad team just happens to have a great goaltender that keeps them in games.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Levitate

I don't think that Tortorella has lost the team, his team just is proving that it's not very good.

A big reason why Chicago dominated for large stretches last night is because the Rangers offense dies at the offensive blueline. No one can make a play there or cross the blueline with control of the puck. No one else gives them any options with the puck. No one can hold onto the puck at all. It turns out the team is just full of players who don't have good hands

Add to that the ongoing problem that no one can forecheck and cycle effectively, and you have a very very ineffective offense. Tortorella has had them work on this stuff but they're just not good at it, so the team isn't very good

I thought they were better than this, but hey I guess I was wrong. The players just can't get it done and at this point I"ll believe so until they show me otherwise.

At this point in the season I think it's fair to start saying they need some kind of shakeup...they need at least one more player who can gain the zone without immediately turning the puck over...Dubinsky getting back will help with that, but they gotta get another offensive threat who can actually control the puck. As it is, the forwards just repeatedly throw the puck away, so they never spend any time on offense

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That's what good teams do. They dominate bad teams. And that's what happened tonight. A very good team dominated a pretty bad one. The bad team just happens to have a great goaltender that keeps them in games.
wow. great post.

this sums it up perfect.

we are a bad team with a great goalie.

if vally had been in net last night we lose easlity 5-1 and maybe worse.

this team needs to be blowed the phuch up

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Chris Drury, career 25+ goal scorer
Ryan Callahan, scored 20+ goals last year
Chris Higgins, career 20+ goal scorer.

Those 3 you pencil in for 65 goals combined right? Right now they are on pace to score 25 combined goals.

Take 40 goals off the top of any team and I bet you they will look a lot weaker than they actually are. If you can get just those 3 guys going at a very reasonable rate that they have proven over their careers that they can produce at, the Rangers go from the 14th ranked offense to the 2nd ranked offense in the league.

This team has the talent, when you factor in that Gaborik is playing out of his mind, but those 3 guys struggling as they are has really hurt this team.

http://www.bigleaguescrew.com/nhl/ri...r-larry-brooks

Hey Inferno looks like Brooks is ripping off your ideas as his own.

Unless you are Brooks... then ignore this.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 09:56 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyareGonnaGO View Post
http://www.bigleaguescrew.com/nhl/ri...r-larry-brooks

Hey Inferno looks like Brooks is ripping off your ideas as his own.
It wouldn't be the first time that Larry Brooks used the internet as inspiration for his writing, and it won't be the last.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 10:10 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

bring back Prucha, lol

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:30 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I wonder if it's not just the (very flawed) roster, but also the system? During the summer, Ola had a great post on another thread questioning whether Tortarella's system could work in tthe post lockout NHL. It raised a lot of very good questions. I think we may need to have a broader conversation here. Ola, if you're listening, can you post your rant here?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quick question... What system?

Seems to me he has had the team revert to Renney hockey on him.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote