HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boedker Re-Assigned to SanAntonio

Old
12-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

vCash: 500
Boedker Re-Assigned to SanAntonio

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509122

Why! So frsutrating! I guess he will get more time down there...

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
doaner

Does this mean we might be in the process of adding another player or calling up another?

Or am I just being hopeful

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 10:44 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Does this mean we might be in the process of adding another player or calling up another?

Or am I just being hopeful
Think we're sticking with this for now:

Pyatt - Lang - Doan
Upshall - Lombardi - Mueller
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpi - Fiddler - Winnik
Biz

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509122

Why! So frsutrating! I guess he will get more time down there...
Exactly. He'll play twice as many minutes in San Antonio. Our veteren depth players are stepping up. Tippett favors more experienced players. I'm fine with this move, and I don't know if you'll find a bigger Boedker supporter than myself.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Think we're sticking with this for now:

Pyatt - Lang - Doan
Upshall - Lombardi - Mueller
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Korpi - Fiddler - Winnik
Biz
Fine with me. It seems like that's what Tippett has wanted from day one, any how. It's just finally starting to work, is all. Now he gets to stick with it.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I'm not only fine with this it's my preference, however I do hope they are clearly communicating with him. This shouldn't be looked at as a demotion because it was never a promotion per say. I'm hoping they've made it clear that their intentions are to play him in the AHL all year and that call ups are temporary on an as needed basis.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:51 AM

I could be wrong, but I think Boedker was just up until Mueller came back, he was recalled about the time that Mueller was injured.

I think Boedker has a NHL career ahead of him, but I just hope it's more than the Freddy Sjostrom career of a fast defensive guy that can provide a little offense.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
gorsk11

I for one don't like this move. I do think it is better for him to get more minutes - Yes.
He's had several very good games in limited ice time - He's used his speed. Created chances and played the body also. But since he is young - he is sitting parts of the game and now is being sent down.

He has outplayed Korpi and Mueller. Mueller had his best game a few nights back and it might equal what Boedker has done. Korpi has one two-goal game and thats it. Korpi can play the Penaly kill. But - can't cath a pass at times.

In his last 3 games - I think Boedker has easily outplayed some of the other players.

It's got to be frustrating for him.

Comparing him to Freddy Sjostrom is laughable. Freddy could skate but doesn't have Boedker's speed and the hands that Mikkel has. Boedker had more exciting plays/goals last year than Freddy in several seasons here.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:07 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post
Comparing him to Freddy Sjostrom is laughable. Freddy could skate but doesn't have Boedker's speed and the hands that Mikkel has. Boedker had more exciting plays/goals last year than Freddy in several seasons here.
I don't think the comparison is that far fetched. Many us of thought thought, for years, that Sjostrom was close to having all the tools to be an offensive threat, he just needed more confidence and more drives to the net. Sjostrom was the one who scored that awesome goal against the Rangers, all by himself, beating 3 guys, full speed, with a wicked writer in the top shelf. And yet, he never became more that a pretty good 3rd line defensive forward.

I'm not saying I'm already giving up on Boedker - far from it. I love the kid, and I do feel that he's got a bright future. But I used to feel exactly the same way about Sjostrom.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:29 PM

Exactly, Sjostrom had all the same projections as Boedker does now. Many hoped at one point that Taffe & Sjostrom would be two/thirds of a decent 2nd scoring line, and they showed some chemistry together. If Boedker lived up to Sjostrom's potential he'd still be a decent player, but the franchise really needs him to become more like Jere Lehtinen with the offensive touch than Sjostrom.

In some regards I don't see why Maloney gave up on Sjostrom. Not that Freddy was going to turn it around or anything, but he was a very capable guy on the checking lines, great defensively and on the PK. I would rather have Prucha than Sjostrom at this point in the game, so I guess it worked out.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
In some regards I don't see why Maloney gave up on Sjostrom. Not that Freddy was going to turn it around or anything, but he was a very capable guy on the checking lines, great defensively and on the PK.
Yeah, looking back, that Montoya / Hossa (the Terrible one) for J. Gratton / Sjostrom / Leneveu wasn't one of Maloney's brightest moves.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Exactly, Sjostrom had all the same projections as Boedker does now. Many hoped at one point that Taffe & Sjostrom would be two/thirds of a decent 2nd scoring line, and they showed some chemistry together. If Boedker lived up to Sjostrom's potential he'd still be a decent player, but the franchise really needs him to become more like Jere Lehtinen with the offensive touch than Sjostrom.
Boedker has way more potential than Sjostrom ever had. Boedker has the potential to be a star in this league. He already at such a young age has shown the ability to be a real game breaker. How good he is going to be remains to be seen, but I would bet that he at the very least becomes a Jere Lehtinen. Best case scenario something along the lines of a Zetterberg, someone who makes something happen on every shift.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Yeah, looking back, that Montoya / Hossa (the Terrible one) for J. Gratton / Sjostrom / Leneveu wasn't one of Maloney's brightest moves.
Nor was it a bad move - more or less a wash.

Montoya's the only one left with the acquiring team and no one's holding their breath waiting on him to turn the lights out.

Kaizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
yakko

Quote:
I think Boedker is already a better hockey player than Sjostrom ever was. Granted, we may be just as wrong about Boedker reaching his potential as we were about Sjostrom but I don't see that potential being the same as Sjostrom's.

Boedker is a fast skater, but he can already handle the puck at full speed. Sjostrom had trouble at times even keeping the puck on his stick when he got going, much less doing anything with it. Boedker also has pretty decent vision already, which Sjostrom never demonstrated.

Sjostrom was a fast skater with a big enough body to bang. I was hoping he could be more of a power forward type that could score 20 goals by getting to spots before anyone else and playing in traffic. Obviously he never met that. I'd say he is a 3rd/4th line tweener at this point, an NHL player but nothing special at all really.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Nor was it a bad move - more or less a wash.

Montoya's the only one left with the acquiring team and no one's holding their breath waiting on him to turn the lights out.
I think that deal was an early example of what we've since learned is Maloney's fondness for former 1st-rounders who may just need a change. Don't think either team is losing much sleep over that one.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:56 PM
theoriginal55

I would have left him up to put some pressure on our wingers, especially Mueller. I feel it's no coincidence that Mueller played well his first games back since Bods was waiting in the wings.

theoriginal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Let's not forget the 2009 5th rounder PHX gave the NYR in that deal.

We could have had Gratton and Carcillo together.

crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:58 PM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal55 View Post
I would have left him up to put some pressure on our wingers, especially Mueller.
Maybe DM is leaving a roster space for a waiver pick up if the player fits our needs/system?

Old
12-10-2009, 12:25 AM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
Let's not forget the 2009 5th rounder PHX gave the NYR in that deal.

We could have had Gratton and Carcillo together.
Never happened. That 5th was conditional upon Montoya playing 15 or more games in the NHL last season.

I'd rather have Bizm Upshall, and a 2nd than those two.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:23 AM
crazyhockeylover96

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
Never happened. That 5th was conditional upon Montoya playing 15 or more games in the NHL last season.
Funny, when I check my sources I easily found that PHX did not draft in the 5th round of the 2009 NHL Draft. Last I checked the Phoenix Coyotes do not nor did they ever own the rights to Roman Horak.... that's right he's a Ranger's pick.... from that trade... who was that?....oh yeah, the Montoya trade. It was conditional on either LeNeveu not signing with the NYR OR >15 games for Montoya. Meaning either condition sends the NYR the PHX 5th. Before you so boldly state that it "never happened", how about checking your sources. Here's some for you.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.h...r=2009&round=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NHL_Entry_Draft

The Phoenix Coyotes' fifth-round pick went to the New York Rangers as the result of a trade on February 26, 2008 that sent Marcel Hossa and Al Montoya to Phoenix in exchange for Fredrik Sjostrom, Josh Gratton, David LeNeveu and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade).[59] The condition David LeNeveu is not signed by New York after the 200809 season[citation needed] has been converted on July 7, 2008 when LeNeveu was signed by the Anaheim Ducks.[60]

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?bcid=354984

Old
12-10-2009, 04:50 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
I love your enthusiasm. How does it feel to be so right about something that is inconsequential?

That trade was garbage for garbage and I'm surprised anyone cares.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote