HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

30 Games In Assesment: Still No Identity

Old
12-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
30 Games In Assesment: Still No Identity

Well we all know the standings..... heavy sigh

There are some positives but 30 games in I was expecting at least some of the identity issues to be resolved. This team has some talent but is a confusing mess chemistry -wise.

Torts need to pick some lines and just stick with them and let these guys play it out and find some mojo on their own. This constant tinkering is annoying and unsuccessful.

The team has, imo, played well the past three games. I see some heart and hustle out there but they are just so clearly outmatched by teams like the Hawks its ridiculous.

Gabby - A
Henke - B ( he's been $$$ the past few games)
Prospal - B

The rest get a C

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
NYROrtsFan

This Identity thing is so overrated in sports. There is always a segment who points towards it when a team is losing.

Winning games creates an identity. Not the other way around. When you search for an identity, you are just complicating things. This game is pretty simple... Win battles for the puck, make good passes, and finish on your chances. The team has a system, but that doesn't really matter much because they simply don't have the talent at forward.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:36 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
The constant tinkering is a huge part of why nothing is sticking, guys don't know who they'll be playing with shift to shift.

Avery,Anisimov and Parenteau looked good the few games they were together, then they've been scattered to the winds.

Higgins looked good playing with Gabby and Vinny, that got flushed.

I don't know anymore, we're stuck with Sather and his reign of error for the foreseeable future as Dolan has no interest or desire to hold Sather accountable for this debacle.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Oh, we have an identity. Of course, it's one you wouldn't exactly want to have.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Our identity is simple

We are a two-man team...Pass to Gaborik, hope for Lundqvist to save us

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This Identity thing is so overrated in sports. There is always a segment who points towards it when a team is losing.

Winning games creates an identity. Not the other way around. When you search for an identity, you are just complicating things. This game is pretty simple... Win battles for the puck, make good passes, and finish on your chances. The team has a system, but that doesn't really matter much because they simply don't have the talent at forward.

I hear what you're saying....could be the cart before the horse with my thinking, but the constant line shuffeling isnt helping these guys get down to some simple hockey. No one knows who they will be playing with from shift to shift let alone game to game

Old
12-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Our identity is simple

We are a two-man team...Pass to Gaborik, hope for Lundqvist to save us

Pass to Gaborik, hope for Lundqvist to save us.

Old
12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post

Avery,Anisimov and Parenteau looked good the few games they were together, then they've been scattered to the winds.
Why break this line up? It was a good line that showed promise. Its like Torts is trying to hard to find magic. Just let them play some games

Old
12-10-2009, 01:15 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post

There are some positives but 30 games in I was expecting at least some of the identity issues to be resolved. This team has some talent but is a confusing mess chemistry -wise.

Torts need to pick some lines and just stick with them and let these guys play it out and find some mojo on their own. This constant tinkering is annoying and unsuccessful.

The team has, imo, played well the past three games. I see some heart and hustle out there but they are just so clearly outmatched by teams like the Hawks its ridiculous.

Gabby - A
Prospal - B

The rest get a C
C? Man your a kind grader.

Gabby A+
Hank A
Prospal B
Del Zotto B+

Rest D-

Some F contenders: Staal, Drury, and Kots.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Why break this line up? It was a good line that showed promise. Its like Torts is trying to hard to find magic. Just let them play some games
This is exactly what i'm talking about in the other thread. I never seen a coach break up a good line just to get other dud ones going. That line was working for a while and he moved Avery from line to line to get others going. Find another line besides Gaborik's to find offense is the idea no? The thing that really has amazed me is he hasn't even revisited it once.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:20 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

What do you mean we have no identity?

We're a lottery team with two stars and numerous highly overpaid underachievers.

It's called being a bad team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:03 AM
bumrusherer

Bad teams dont have an identity because if they did, they would find ways to get wins in games that they dont perform because everyone has a exact idea on what they need to do in order to be successful.

I think the general idea was to be an in your face type of team but that ended very early in the season.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
bubba5

We have an identity, it's called a Bad Team. My only question is, can we get a Top 3 pick in the next draft and how is that draft class?

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
We have an identity, it's called a Bad Team. My only question is, can we get a Top 3 pick in the next draft and how is that draft class?
Lundqvist = no lottery pick for NYR

Maybe identity and chemistry are the same thing. There's just no cohesive feel to anything in Rangerland. If they picked some lines at least we could start to adapt. Nothings changed since last season when Torts first came in and was jumbling the lines to get a feel for his players.

Old
12-10-2009, 08:26 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Lundqvist = no lottery pick for NYR

Maybe identity and chemistry are the same thing. There's just no cohesive feel to anything in Rangerland. If they picked some lines at least we could start to adapt. Nothings changed since last season when Torts first came in and was jumbling the lines to get a feel for his players.
Other than the game last night and Buffalo, Lundqvist has not been that good either, if his play does not improve more consistantly then I don't see why we cannot be a bottom 5 team. we are already the 29th worst team since middle of October.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

You have to be good at something to win games in the first place.

Locating what this team is good at and building upon that is what creates a team identity.

Its not really complicated at all, and its something the team needs in order to win games.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Anythings possible...I think they could win just enough to miss the lottery and the playoffs....

Oh and Torts gets a D

Yea because he's suppose to be a good coach and he cant even settle on some lines for more than a game or two before he 2nd guesses himself and his players

His comments after last nights game seem a bit out of touch to me... the team played hard. They took the Hawks to OT on hustle alone...well hustle and Henrik

Old
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Anythings possible...I think they could win just enough to miss the lottery and the playoffs....

Oh and Torts gets a D

Yea because he's suppose to be a good coach and he cant even settle on some lines for more than a game or two before he 2nd guesses himself and his players
Regardless of the personnel problems, Tortorella has been really, really bad this season.

I dont think he has the hockey mind to get us out of this tailspin.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Other than the game last night and Buffalo, Lundqvist has not been that good either, if his play does not improve more consistantly then I don't see why we cannot be a bottom 5 team. we are already the 29th worst team since middle of October.
His track record would lead you to believe that he will perform like he has done for his entire career for the most part of this year.

Its not like he is some unproven youngster who we are guessing that he will play up to his usual level.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Regardless of the personnel problems, Tortorella has been really, really bad this season.

I dont think he has the hockey mind to get us out of this tailspin.
For right or for wrong, people said that Renney lost the team when he was fired. I'm not sure Torts has ever had this team.

12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Higgins looked good playing with Gabby and Vinny, that got flushed.
Its funny you mention this. The past 2 games, Higgins scored off of a pass from Gaborik. WHY IN THE FLYING **** arent they on the same line again? Why is Higgins on a line with Drury?!

Oh well, not my decisions to make.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
For right or for wrong, people said that Renney lost the team when he was fired. I'm not sure Torts has ever had this team.
I can't figure out what he's doing. The team has regressed at this point. Similar issues with the lack of scoring same as the end of Rennys run. But this team tries to play a system they are not skilled at playing. Rennys team at least knew they weren't skilled enough to not to be REALLY REALLY protective of Lundqvist.

Old
12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
chosen

Quote:

Gabby - A
Prospal - B

The rest get a C
The Rangers have a very definite identity. You just don't like that identity.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

No Determination is the identity... The PP is awol, there's no system anymore, we can't hold onto the puck or hardly win puck battles.

The only one who plays like he really wants to win is Lundqvist, but that's about it.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

Nahhhh, I disagree.

You can have an identity when losing.

You can have an identity of being a fast team that likes to skate and get into run and gun type games. Winning doesn't establish that style or identity.

You can be a defensive team that likes to play things close and create log-jams all over the ice. Again, winning doesn't that.

You can be a gritty team that plays the body all over the ice where opposing teams know that they played a tough game the following day. Again, nothing to do with winning.

Finally you can look to be a puck possession kind of team. Once that cycles well down low.

At the end of the day, winning doesn't establish your identity. If you have the proper players in any of those styles, the wins will come.

If you do not have the proper players and have not established any type of identity, you look like the Rangers.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote