HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to rebuild

Old
12-09-2009, 11:37 PM
McDonaghisGod
Speed kills

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
rebuild pitt style? not guna happen. any Ranger fan should know this.

The Rangers are The Rangers. Lets be honest.
We will never bomb for a few years to get picks. We will always be on the verge of the playoffs.. We will always have atleast one marque name so we can sell jerseys and have our superstar. When HASN'T it been like this??

On to Sather... the trade genius blah blah whatever..
ANY MAN WHO GAVE WADE REDDEN THAT CONTRACT, AND ROSIVAL, AND DRURY, AND GOMEZ (lucky to get rid).. Should not only get his head checked but should have his job threatened.. IN A SALARY CAP ERA!!!!!! Its a simple #'s game Sather... and how you use the money you have. You fail... numerous times... In comes the Messiah (Messier) **^^BEAM OF LIGHT^^** AaaAAaaAAaaHHHHHHHH
This strategy has worked so well.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:46 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
This strategy has worked so well.
Let's be honest though... The team is not going to tank seasons like that. Just not hpapening.

TO be honest, I don't think they should either. WHen you get a guy like Lundy, you do everything you can to get him there every year. He can win you games in the playoffs on his own.

You just have to spend the money in smart areas. Your highest paid players have to be be your best players.

Drury, Rozy, Redden are not our best players and EAT UP A TON of money. Drury's contract is at least on the later half, so he should be getting more and more tradeable.

You can certainly trade Rozy imo, he's not awful by any means.

Redden is here for a while even though he's playing decent under Torts.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:49 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Hey listen, if we are going to lose, I would rather see this team pushing other people around and making sure no one runs anyone. They cant even do that.
oh, I completely agree actually. my issue is new posts everday saying the same thing over and over like it's some new gospel from above.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Hockey2000nyr

patience guys, patience....

yes we are in a slump, trend call it what you want. we have a few rookies on this team in del zotto, gilroy, and anisimov. guys with less then 3 years in callahan, dubinsky, staal, girardi, lisin, boyle. that is 9 out of the 18 skaters on a team that play night in and night out.

people seem to forget that these guys are still young. Staal is in his 3rd yeard but is still only 22. Del Zotto is 19. these guys are young and with the other guys who we have in the system we have a lot of bright spots. Sanguinetti should be up within a year or two. Heinekin looked solid for the time he has played. Sauer could be a callup within the next year. McDonagh and Stepan have been tearing it up at Wisconsin. Werek has been very good so far, Kreider although he hasnt been putting up the points yet, has been playing very well for BC. we have Grachev in hartford who needs to mature a little bit and he should be up eventually.

this is a very bright future, not many organizations can say that they have a sniper in place, an elite goalie in place, a powerplay quaterback who is only 19, a mobile shutdown defenseman who is only 22/23, another offensive defenseman who is lighting up the AHL at the age of 21, and plenty more to go with it.

if the rangers were to have an offseason and just happen to get a top 5 pick, i think it would be a gift from the heavens. The rangers do need a potential franchise forward. yes we have a bunch of offensive prospects, but if we were able to add a guy like Seguin, Hall, Kabanov, or even any of the defenseman like Fowler it would be awesome and give us a definite boost. look at the flyers for example the year after the lockout. they fell flat on the faces, made some seriously nice trades, picked van riemsdyk 3rd overall, came back the following year and have been a consistent playoff contender ever since. if the rangers were able to do something similar to that, although we dont have the veteran players that the flyers had that year, we could make a big turnaround next season.

in my opinion towards the end of the season if the rangers are still in a position like this or worse, i can see sather throwing in the towel and trying to trade a guy like rozy, who towards the end of the season will be a lot more valuable then he would be now, since the team who is getting him would pay the rest of his contract this season, then his cap hit would be 5 mil, but he would really only be making 4 mil, and then 3 mil in his last season. we have 2 years left of drury. Redden is tolerable if he keeps playing the way he has this season so far. Prospal would be very attractive come deadline time if we are in this situation still. if he keeps producing along with gabby prospal could net us a nice return to help our season next year.

i think the main problem is i havent been to a game yet this year... ..

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:57 PM
TomLaidlaw

I wonder if other teams realize "Hockey is Different Here"

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:01 AM
TylerDurden

Yay for tanking! No.

TylerDurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I'm not a huge Rangers fan, but the turning point for you guys was when your management told Jagr to **** off and decided to sign Naslund instead. He was your team and balking at the extra year, only to sign Naslund was stupid.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:11 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I'm not a huge Rangers fan, but the turning point for you guys was when your management told Jagr to **** off and decided to sign Naslund instead. He was your team and balking at the extra year, only to sign Naslund was stupid.
Are you telling me building an offense around Chris Drury and Scott Gomez was a bad idea? You obviously are not taking into account two important aspects. Chris Drury won the Little League World Series and Gomez is from Alaska. Was it still a bad idea?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Vidic15

Unfortunately, teams around us in the standings aren't seperating themselves from the Rangers. It seems impossible by the way the Rangers are playing but other teams are playing just as inconsistent. We have to endure this garbage until February. Trade deadline is March 3, right after the Olympics are over.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:00 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Christ. This isn't NHL 2010, I hope this is a joke.
Kind of a lousy joke - seen through the eyes of the vine. Man - my head hurts

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:51 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

If you have the options to suck most of the season, p!ss off your fans, finally smuggle yourself into the Play Offs, get kicked out badly or even get swept OR tank and grab a top 3 or top 5 pick, I'd take the 2nd option, because this would give the season at least some sort of sense.

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Uhhh Sather tried this a few years back, we don't have much to show for it really.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:49 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
But.... we lose even with an elite goaltender.
So what's the difference between us and bottom 5 teams with bad goaltenders if we're not winning?
We've been losing games at a bottom 5 pace for a while now, it's not just a slump.
No doubt if the blue shirts get banged up and lose over 500 man games due to injury or somethng they very well could pick 1st. It can happen, will it be easy? no way

case in point look at the fishies last year. The lost DP whom was on the cusp of creeping into ELITE category when he was last playing, anyone who denys this has a short memory, anyway, the fishies lost over 500 man games played last year and came in dead last. This year they are realively healthly w/o DP playing and they are hovering around 500 No doubt it can happen to the blue shirts, Hank or no Hank.

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:22 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
This should be considered a first--and FINAL--warning here, guys: do not come to a thread to say, "This thread is dumb," "In before the lock," "ban this guy," etc. If you have a problem with a thread, report it. Posts like the ones I mentioned are considered spam.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Honestly I think if we got a top 5 draft pick we'd select Pavel Brendl Part Duex.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Cermi

If we get top 3 pick we cant go wrong - Hall, Fowler and SEguin are going to be very very good. Although if we were third and Fowler was the only one left I dont know if we should take him, because we need a some superstar to support (or make) our offense; we have plenty of very promising defencemen.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:19 AM
miss2leetch

Why are Voros, Brashear still taking up spots on this team? They add nothing to this team and should call up minor league players to get some experience. I like the way Higgins has been playing lately and feel he deserves more time. Sean Avery and Ryan Callahan are third line players. Drury should be centering the first line. Rozy & Redden & Kotalik are liabilities on defense and should be moved at any cost.

Last edited by miss2leetch: 12-10-2009 at 08:35 AM.
miss2leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:50 AM
bubba5

We need to send Rozy, Redden, Voros and Brashier to Hartford and spend our money wisely!!!!!!!

Last edited by bubba5: 12-10-2009 at 08:57 AM.
bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:09 AM
AXN

I don't know why you want to rebuild and trade Dubinsky, Gilroy and Girardi. Those are the young players. Rozsival, Drury and Redden is another story.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Our forwards are terrible. Thats the problem with this team.

I want to write a longass post about who needs to go, but its just making me aggrevated.

There are four fowards worth keeping. Gaborik, Anisimov, Dubinsky, and Callahan. And I wouldn't be against trading Dubinsky and/or Callahan at this point if the return was solid. EVERYONE else is fair game.

Aside from Rozsival, I'll give the defense a pass this season. They haven't been very good, but overall they are young and theres been a ton more pressure on them than there has been in the past. I'm willing to let them have their growing pains.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

You can't trade a third of the roster for picks. Who the heck is going to play? And don't give me a list of guys in Hartford. There's a reason they're in the AHL and not playing in the NHL.

Rushing your prospects is one of the easiest ways to send your organization into a tail spin. "Trial by fire" isn't for everyone.

Frankly, I think Sather has finally managed to back himself into a corner where he will be forced to stand pat and see how the season plays out. You don't need boatloads of cap space to rebuild, nor do you need a roster that is full of only young players. If the team is poorly constructed, which this one is, there's a significant chance you'll end up in the bottom-third of the league. It's really that simple.

If we're out of the playoff race at the deadline, Sather should definitely sell off Prospal and Higgins. You might get lucky and Prospal will come back in July, a la Keith Tkachuk, while giving us an asset at the deadline. How many times was KT rented, only to return to St Louis in the summer?

Beyond those two, there isn't much to sell, at least nothing that we'd want to part with. Girardi is a maybe, but it depends on how his season goes. If Kotalik is on a streak, you might be able to move him too.

You can chant 'Fire Sale!' all you want, but there isn't a whole lot to sell. If you really want to follow the 'March of the Penguins' then you need to start with dealing Lundqvist and Gaborik. If you think top-5 picks are the only way to go, then those two guys are a hindrance to your strategy. Frankly, I think that idea is a load of crap, but everyone has their own opinion on the matter.

If there are a couple young guys with upside who are struggling out there, then Sather should try and target them, but beyond that, I don't see a fix in the cards.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 09:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Fire Sale? Maybe not going to happen, but Rozsival must be moved. Unless Sather can work some magic and move Drury or Redden, Rozsival is the only tradeable one of the three.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Fire Sale? Maybe not going to happen, but Rozsival must be moved. Unless Sather can work some magic and move Drury or Redden, Rozsival is the only tradeable one of the three.
And where do you move him? The majority of Ranger fans acknowledge that he's awful, so that really negates the whole "high cap hit but low salary" thing.

Not to mention that many of the cap-floor teams are doing well and are looking to improve their rosters, not make them worse.

Honestly, would you trade for Rozsival? If you wouldn't, what makes you think someone else would?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
And where do you move him? The majority of Ranger fans acknowledge that he's awful, so that really negates the whole "high cap hit but low salary" thing.

Not to mention that many of the cap-floor teams are doing well and are looking to improve their rosters, not make them worse.

Honestly, would you trade for Rozsival? If you wouldn't, what makes you think someone else would?
Didn't we say the same thing about Gomez?

Rozsival has two years left after this year. Maybe some team would be willing to take a chance on him.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
msv957

The Rangers are already quietly rebuilding very nicely.... There seems to be a lot of pieces in place with a 27 yr old top 10 Goalie in the NHL, a 27 Yr old superstar sniper, and a hell of a promising core of young defenseman in MDZ, Staal and etc...

They do have some good young forwards also in Dubinsky, Callahan and etc... while also having some good young players on the farm..

Patience is the key... no stupid free agent signing that will kill the cap for years...

Once Drury, Rosizval, Redden etc come off the books they will be able to sign the young players they have now and make this home grown team...

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote