HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Goaltending Records that Brodeur or anyone else will NOT break

Old
12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
yathehabsrule

vCash: 500
Goaltending Records that Brodeur or anyone else will NOT break

I put together some records that I feel will be untouchable in today's NHL.

Bryzgalov came close to the playoff shutout record not too long ago. Outside of that one....

yathehabsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

Hasek's two consecutive Harts

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Playoff wins will not be touched.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Glenn Hall's consecutive games played streak

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
Hasek's two consecutive Harts
This one's very possible to break, though unlikely.

Quote:
Consecutive Minutes Without Allowing a Goal (Playoffs):

In 1930 Hainsworth set an NHL record that still stands, going 270 minutes and 8 seconds without allowing a goal during the playoffs, leading the Canadiens to the first of two straight Stanley Cups.

While unlikely, I can also see this one being broken. A goalie would have to be on a great definisve team, playing a tteam with an anemic offense, he'd have to get super hot, and probably have a long OT game or two.

Goalie records that will NEVER be broken are things like Hainsworth's GAA of 0.92 and Hall's 502 starts in a row.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-09-2009 at 06:43 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:29 PM
19nazzy

Roy's 10 straight OT wins in one playoffs and total playoff wins.

12-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
This one's very possible to break, though unlikely.
It's just like the consecutive no hitter record in baseball. Someone might tie it (highly unlikely, but you never know), but no goalie is going to win three Harts in a row.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
odick

Winning the hart trophy isnt really a goalie stat. As for the shutouts in a season back in 1928 I believe teams werent even allowed to pass the puck forward. Definately the rules change how you can compare stats from generations.

odick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
supaman

Just a few off the top of the head:

Most points by a goalie in a season: Grant Fuhr's 14
Most games played in a single season: Also Grant Fuhr with 79
Can't remember who, but the most ties in a single season or career.

supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
realitystrikes*

The majority of those records don't really have any significance any more in my opinion. Its not like we are comparing the 1950's to todays game, those were from the 20's. A completely different era, and to an extent, completely different game. It was illegal for a goalie to go down to save a shot for instance. Hall's record for games played is the only one I think still awes people and at the same time remains relevant. Its like comparing the wins record in baseball. 511 isn't touchable because it was attained in the early 1900's where teams used 2 or 3 pitchers a season and they threw about 60 miles an hour on a field where dead center was 550 feet.

realitystrikes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 07:20 PM
ushvinder

Leading the league in save% 6 years in a row, Hasek did that.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

I will just note that Sawchuk's 103 shutouts seemed like the most untouchable record in all of sports for decades.

I remember in '93 when Mogilny and Selanne hit 76 goals, (and Hull had had 86 a few years before), pundits wondered; "will anyone ever break Gretz' 92 goals record?" The answer was yes, "any record can be broken....except of course Sawchuk's 103 shutouts."

It truly seemed beyond the realm of possibility. Then came the trap, lol.

The lesson is: all records can be broken.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

I guess it may evantually happen as money escalates but Eddie Belfours $Billion Dollar Bribe might take a few hundred years to top.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
It's just like the consecutive no hitter record in baseball. Someone might tie it (highly unlikely, but you never know), but no goalie is going to win three Harts in a row.
Agreed. It's hard enough for a skater to do it, but a goalie? Can't see that one happening. For much of the same reason, Roy's three decades with a Conn Smythe and 1st Team All-Star selection can, at best, be tied- and even that's a tall order.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:48 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Roy's 10 straight OT wins in one playoffs
I can see that one falling. It only took ten years for Giguere to go 8-0 in a playoff run.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStanleysMug View Post
The majority of those records don't really have any significance any more in my opinion. Its not like we are comparing the 1950's to todays game, those were from the 20's. A completely different era, and to an extent, completely different game. It was illegal for a goalie to go down to save a shot for instance. Hall's record for games played is the only one I think still awes people and at the same time remains relevant. Its like comparing the wins record in baseball. 511 isn't touchable because it was attained in the early 1900's where teams used 2 or 3 pitchers a season and they threw about 60 miles an hour on a field where dead center was 550 feet.
The rule stopping goalies from dropping to make saves was abolished early in the 1917-18 season, the first of the NHL.

I would still agree to an extent. While these marks were set in an era that favoured goalies, they are still the record. Just like the baseball 511 wins record was set in a totally different era, it is still the all-time record for wins. Because of the huge discrepancy, thats why the NHL also uses the term "modern day" record. So when someone sets a record within the current modern rules, like Boucher did a few years back with his shutout streak, it was referred to as the modern day record, but not the all-time record.

All records should be recognised, and taken into consideration within the context in which they were set. For example Hainsworth's numerous records. His numbers are incredibly low, but not as extraordinary when compared with his peers of the day. Just using the 1928-29 season, nearly every game ended either 0-0, 1-0 or 2-0.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Yes it almost certainly will never happen in our lifetime. Hasek's seasons back then were unreal. By the way here are the Hart Trophy winners by a goalie in NHL history:

1929 Roy "Shrimp" Worters
1950 Chuck Rayner
1962 Jacques Plante
1997 Dominik Hasek
1998 Dominik Hasek
2002 Jose Theodore

That's all folks. When you look at goalies like Roy, Sawchuk, Brodeur, Hall and even Parent who never won it once can you imagine the next time a goalie wins the Hart? Theodore had that one blip year. The way Ryan Miller is playing this year he can easily be in contention for the Hart but will it even go to him? Crosby is on a tear and is my pick personally. So imagine Miller coming up with a miracle and winning the Hart. Then imagine him doing it two more years in a row. Not gonna happen

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
mco543

Glenn Hall's consecutive games streak shouldn't even count anymore for these discussions. Of all the records in all of sports thats the one record i can fully say will never ever ever be broken.

It is completely and utterly untouchable.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Big Phil

It goes without saying, but Glenn Hall's streak of 502 straight games won't be touched. Regardless of the era. Even Hall's peers in his day (Sawchuk, Plante) very rarely played every game of the season often missing 3-4 let alone playing 7 seasons straight.

Also Hall's record of all-star teams likely won't be touched. He has 11 (7 First team and 4 2nd team). A goalie needs 12 to beat that. The best are Brimsek (8), Plante and Sawchuk (7), while Brodeur is the only active one in that ballpark (7) and he is soon on his way out.

Old
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaman View Post
Just a few off the top of the head:

Most points by a goalie in a season: Grant Fuhr's 14
Most games played in a single season: Also Grant Fuhr with 79
Can't remember who, but the most ties in a single season or career.
Terry Sawchuk; and that is one that, at this time, is not possible to break. The league actually will have to institue a major rule chance to even make it slightly possible; something that is very doubtful to occur. The combination of the slim odds the league brings back ties, AND actually getting enough ties to break the record makes me think this challenges Hall's record in terms of odds someone will break (that is to say, this record's unbreakability level challenges that of Hall's record)

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Gabriel Desjardins does an interesting comparison of Brodeur and Sawchuk's shutouts here:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/20...-leader-martin

It's a nice article - I know why he didn't include them, but it would be interesting to see other top netminders included in the emulsion.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Ron Tugnutt's 22 wins on an expansion team

Patrick Lalime's 16-game undefeated streak to start his career (even tougher now that ties aren't a thing anymore)

Since I can't see the league going beyond 82 games, I think Luongo's 41 home starts in a single season can only be tied

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Gabriel Desjardins does an interesting comparison of Brodeur and Sawchuk's shutouts here:

http://www.behindthenethockey.com/20...-leader-martin

It's a nice article - I know why he didn't include them, but it would be interesting to see other top netminders included in the emulsion.
Interesting - and really highlights the steep droppoff in play Sawchuk experienced (and his ridiculously high prime).

In regards to shutouts especially, Sawchuk was virtually "average" after his first 7 years (with a toal of 29.84) while Brodeur has been much more consistent with not nearly as high of a prime (Brodeur is 14.46 in his first 7 seasons; 19.43 in his best 7 years from 22 - 28).

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:03 PM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yes it almost certainly will never happen in our lifetime. Hasek's seasons back then were unreal. By the way here are the Hart Trophy winners by a goalie in NHL history:

1929 Roy "Shrimp" Worters
1950 Chuck Rayner
1962 Jacques Plante
1997 Dominik Hasek
1998 Dominik Hasek
2002 Jose Theodore

That's all folks. When you look at goalies like Roy, Sawchuk, Brodeur, Hall and even Parent who never won it once can you imagine the next time a goalie wins the Hart? Theodore had that one blip year. The way Ryan Miller is playing this year he can easily be in contention for the Hart but will it even go to him? Crosby is on a tear and is my pick personally. So imagine Miller coming up with a miracle and winning the Hart. Then imagine him doing it two more years in a row. Not gonna happen
1954 Al Rollins

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
1954 Al Rollins
That's right how did I forget Al Rollins? Especially around here since we debate his Hart Trophy like there's no tomorrow. Add him to the list, and he was a joke of a selection too so it shows you how hard goalies will have it