HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gilroy sent down; Johnson down, Zaba up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
  #101
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,091
vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Source?
Yeap. http://theahl.com/stats/transactions...&f_team_id=307

Hold that backup accountable!!!

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
  #102
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,325
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Yeap. http://theahl.com/stats/transactions...&f_team_id=307

Hold that backup accountable!!!
Terrific, thanks. I'll change the title.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
  #103
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
And he has punished Rozsival. He has benched him, and cut his icetime, etc. But no one wants to pay attention to that, they just want to *****.

Rozsival has actually been playing decently lately, but nope, **** that guy, Tortorella should bench him for being who he is
But once he gets the puck on his stick is a disaster.

I've defended the guy when he deserved it, but lately, I cringe everytime he gets the puck and that little bit of hesitation he always seems to exhibit when making an outlet pass. Last night he was just brutal.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
  #104
Jeds2StepOpus
Registered User
 
Jeds2StepOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
He was on for both goals last night, and got horribly burned on the last one, something that should never happen to someone who skates like he does.

This board is obsessed with the word accountability. They sent a rookie who has been struggling to play a game or two in the A. Not everything is about "sending a message", maybe they thought his game could use a tuneup. Sometimes a trip out of the spotlight lets a young player focus on their game. It worked wonders for Callahan two years back.
Gilroy's defensive play has often been problematic.

It's not just about Gilroy getting beat on that Overtime goal. He was attrocious on the first goal, too. As was Redden and Boyle. You can't stand around or flop around in your own crease and accomplish absolutely nothing; while opponents crash your net and repeatidly dig for and swat the puck.

Boyle in all his wisdom and brillance, threw his shoulder into his own player, Gilroy. WTF? They don't make opponents pay for crashing the net and digging for the puck. They only hit anyopne threw, was on a Ranger on another Ranger. Pathetic.

Gilroy needs time to work on his defense. But his offensive game hasn't exactly been anything to write home about, for quite a while.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
  #105
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,118
vCash: 500
hey that's why I'm not a Rozsival fan, but at least his defense has been solid

Also, Dubinsky probably isn't going to be back for a week, i'm not sure this should be considered a move to get him back into the lineup

I don't know if it's a move for a trade either, I just don't think the timing is there for Dubinsky return eitehr

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
  #106
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
this is why I hate Torts, right here
I always hated Tortorella.

Terrible coach.

No game plan, bully, plays 3rd 4th line guys to death, hold the WRONG players 'accountable'.

WORST Rangers coach in recent memory.

Tom Renney was one of the best coaches in franchise history. We replaced him with GARBAGE.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:15 PM
  #107
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
hey that's why I'm not a Rozsival fan, but at least his defense has been solid
When did the standard for solid drop so low?


I think if we watched any other team with defensive depth not named the Rangers, we would truly understand what solid should imply.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
  #108
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Just saying, but Zaba has a cap hit of 575k to Johnson's 850k.

Trimming some fat?

Please?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
  #109
frisland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I always hated Tortorella.


WORST Rangers coach in recent memory.
you have a short memory:
muckler, low, trottier

frisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
  #110
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
It's not even about GILROY.

It's the whole picture.

Tortorella doesn't have a ****ing clue what he's doing.

And neither does Sather.

It's time for a HUGE organizational change. Top to bottom.

New GM.
New coaching staff.
New philosophy (if we even have one to begin with).

I want HOCKEY minds in, and everyone else OUT.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
  #111
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I always hated Tortorella.

Terrible coach.

No game plan, bully, plays 3rd 4th line guys to death, hold the WRONG players 'accountable'.
WHAT? Tortorella is known for only utilizing 3 lines and giving his top players, top minutes, at the expense of the bottom 2 lines.... 4th lines see little ice time under Tortorella....

It was Renney who would roll 4 lines and give more playing time to 4th lines than most 4th lines get on other teams in the league.... And Renney didn't hold any veteran players accountable for anything.... Is that what you would prefer?

I think you have your coaches mixed up....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
  #112
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,024
vCash: 500
I have a feeling the Torts-Sather relationship is a lot like Girardi-Cashman in that Sather calls the majority of the shots regarding who plays and who doesnt.

It's the complete opposite of Keenan-Smith, which is ironic because Keenan complained about not having any autonomy despite benching Messier and Leetch (and considering Richter) in the 1994 CF.

Torts IMO would LOVE to bench Rosie and Drury and Brashear and Kotalik, but the mandate from upstairs is otherwise.


Remember, this is pure speculation on my part, but anybody who watched TB under Torts knows he benched/sat EVERYBODY at one point or another.

Sather needs to come out from his Ivory Tower and coach this team because he obviously doesnt want the actual bench bosses doing anything drastic.

Trust me guys...Torts has been tame this season. I think Sather has a proverbial gun to his head.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
  #113
xsniper11x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
A hat tip to you, sir!

Can you replace Eklund?
Haha, thx. I think it might get too hot in that mask though. Does he still wear that stupid thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I'm hearing Johnson sent down, Zaba called up.
Woo hoo, 2 for 2

xsniper11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
  #114
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,867
vCash: 500
Vali is crapping the bed in Hartford, they need Johnson to save the sinking ship. I wish we could have seen him play a game in the NHL first.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
  #115
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Just saying, but Zaba has a cap hit of 575k to Johnson's 850k.

Trimming some fat?

Please?
Probably want Johnson to play some games. Hank will be playing all the games for a while with the long breaks.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
  #116
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisland View Post
you have a short memory:
muckler, low, trottier
I am including him right in that group.

In fact, i'm saying he is worse.

He has not the SLIGHTEST clue what he is doing. At all.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:20 PM
  #117
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreification View Post
Yeap. http://theahl.com/stats/transactions...&f_team_id=307

Hold that backup accountable!!!
Has nothing to do with that. The Pack needs Johnson badly. Zaba and Vally have been absolutely embarrassing over the last few games. There's no point in Johnson being on the bench behind Hank anyway. He needs to be playing as much as possible.

I don't think there's a move coming, it's probably just a a series of player shifts. When all is said and done, what do we save off the cap? Don't we need to clear like $1.4M to get Dubinsky off LTIR?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
  #118
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
When did the standard for solid drop so low?
When we started talking about the Rangers defense entire team

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM
  #119
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,024
vCash: 500
Anyway, this Gilroy move (which I dont agree with but dont think a little AHL time will hurt Gilroy) is a prelude to a trade. IMO

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
  #120
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
WHAT? Tortorella is known for only utilizing 3 lines and giving his top players, top minutes, at the expense of the bottom 2 lines.... 4th lines see little ice time under Tortorella....

It was Renney who would roll 4 lines and give more playing time to 4th lines than most 4th lines get on other teams in the league.... And Renney didn't hold any veteran players accountable for anything.... Is that what you would prefer?

I think you have your coaches mixed up....
Yea.

He uses a top two lines full of 3rd and 4th liners.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
  #121
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
Anyway, this Gilroy move (which I dont agree with but dont think a little AHL time will hurt Gilroy) is a prelude to a trade. IMO
Totally agree Scipio. I think there is more to this.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
  #122
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
He was on for both goals last night, and got horribly burned on the last one, something that should never happen to someone who skates like he does.

This board is obsessed with the word accountability. They sent a rookie who has been struggling to play a game or two in the A. Not everything is about "sending a message", maybe they thought his game could use a tuneup. Sometimes a trip out of the spotlight lets a young player focus on their game. It worked wonders for Callahan two years back.
Thank you. The defensive play on the Toews goal, which Gilroy was a HUGE part of, was even worse than that on the Byfuglien winner in my opinion. This kid has not been good at all, and this move is not solely in response to last night's game. That OT winner was really just the straw that broke the camel's back. And great point regarding Callahan. Let's hope for a similar rebound from Gilroy.

I thought Rozsival played a pretty good game last night. His offense has completely disappeared, I really don't understand that at all, but he looked poised in his end. He made a couple of "vintage" Rosie plays where he delays with the puck to open up the breakout lanes. I was very impressed by his vision there.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:22 PM
  #123
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I have a feeling the Torts-Sather relationship is a lot like Girardi-Cashman in that Sather calls the majority of the shots regarding who plays and who doesnt.

It's the complete opposite of Keenan-Smith, which is ironic because Keenan complained about not having any autonomy despite benching Messier and Leetch (and considering Richter) in the 1994 CF.

Torts IMO would LOVE to bench Rosie and Drury and Brashear and Kotalik, but the mandate from upstairs is otherwise.


Remember, this is pure speculation on my part, but anybody who watched TB under Torts knows he benched/sat EVERYBODY at one point or another.

Sather needs to come out from his Ivory Tower and coach this team because he obviously doesnt want the actual bench bosses doing anything drastic.

Trust me guys...Torts has been tame this season. I think Sather has a proverbial gun to his head.
Umm Cashman doesn't tell Girardi who plays and who doesn't.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
  #124
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yea.

He uses a top two lines full of 3rd and 4th liners.
Well thats not really his fault. I mean he is playing Gaborik about 22-26 minutes a night.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
  #125
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Wow, overreactions. Johnsson is probably down to play some games instead of getting stale. And you know, we kind of need 2 goalies in case something happens. Maybe I'm naive about the process.

Tortorella doesn't need me to stick up for him, he's a big boy. But I'm reserving my judgement until I get some more facts. Is this a cap move? Is Gilroy struggling and expressing this behind closed door? Is there another move in the works? Who pulled the trigger, Sather or Torts? Let's see what they have to say and then get the torches lit.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.