HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need to rebuild

Old
12-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Didn't we say the same thing about Gomez?

Rozsival has two years left after this year. Maybe some team would be willing to take a chance on him.
No.

I think everyone pretty much agreed that, while overpaid, Gomez had far more value as a player than any of our other big contracts.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Didn't we say the same thing about Gomez?

Rozsival has two years left after this year. Maybe some team would be willing to take a chance on him.
Gomez is far more capable of earning his contract than Rozsival is. The Habs were in the market for a potential #1C and there were no viable solutions on the FA market. Sather lucked out there, I think expecting it to happen again is foolish.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You can't trade a third of the roster for picks.
Theres a reason why we aren't GMs. We don't have the knowledge on how to fix this team.

However, its becoming increasingly evident that Sather doesn't either.

He has floundered since the lockout at building a TEAM. He started off ok, but has just gotten worse and worse every year since. Our team has degraded every year since the lockout. We have a SEVERE shortage of skill on our roster.

You realize that at our current pace no one besides Gaborik will have more than 16 goals? No one besides Gaborik will have more than 50 points?

Something needs to happen. I don't know what that involves.

BTW, for those havn't realized how poorly Drury is performing, he is on pace for a 5-19-25 season. Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, and Del Zotto all have more goals than he does.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Mrpuck

Quote:
And where do you move him? The majority of Ranger fans acknowledge that he's awful, so that really negates the whole "high cap hit but low salary" thing.

Not to mention that many of the cap-floor teams are doing well and are looking to improve their rosters, not make them worse.

Honestly, would you trade for Rozsival? If you wouldn't, what makes you think someone else would?
For a team to want Rozsival at this point I think they have to have one of their #3-#6 D-men go down for the rest of the year. That might open up a possibility for a trade.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

IMO in order to rebuild we start with the big 3 of terrible contracts. So say somehow get rid of 2 by next off-season or hell even the off-season after that, and I'm not anticipating for this to happen by any means, I'm just dreaming here.

Trade Roszy and buy out Redden or vice versa.
Re-sign Prospal so you keep the Prospal-Dubi-Gaborik line together.
Sign a potential second line scorer who can put up 30-35 goals and align him with drury and callahan
Anisimov centers a third line with Grachev and Avery/PAP eventually grooming ani to center the 2nd line when drury leaves
trade kotalik
don't re-sign higgins
get rid of voros and brashear
have a fourth line centered by boyle aligned with byers and some other FA
Lisin.... i'm not sure what to do with him

on D:
keep staal, girardi, DZ, and gilroy
add 1 or 2 PHYSICAL vet defensemen and 1 hartford call-up whether it be sangs or heikkenin

like i said... i don't expect this to happen, just pondering away..

Last edited by Stugots: 12-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Cermi

Quote:
You can't trade a third of the roster for picks. Who the heck is going to play? And don't give me a list of guys in Hartford. There's a reason they're in the AHL and not playing in the NHL.

Why not? Try to trade anyone from this list: Higgins, Prospal, Girardi, Rozsival (if anyone's so stupid to take him), maybe Callahan, Sangs(although I kinda like him) or some other prospects for a first or couple of seconds, tank for Hall and next season we will be much better team then now.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:04 PM
tjs252

It's terrible to keep harping on, but you put Cherepanov on this team and we're probably a top 4 seed in the East. I truly believe we are that close. No, we're probably not going anywhere this year, or probably next, but finding one player to compliment Gaborik (and I mean compliment, not just defer to him) is all we need to take that leap from "so-so" to elite. There's no reason to blow it all up.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
Why not? Try to trade anyone from this list: Higgins, Prospal, Girardi, Rozsival (if anyone's so stupid to take him), maybe Callahan, Sangs(although I kinda like him) or some other prospects for a first or couple of seconds, tank for Hall and next season we will be much better team then now.
We're not getting Taylor Hall. All it takes is a hot streak from Lundqvist and a couple of good bounces and this team could sneak into the playoffs.

Like I said, if we're out of it in March, I'm all for selling off some UFA's to be. If we can dump Rozsival, great. But you need a lot of things to go right -- or wrong in this case -- to end up with a 1st overall pick when you have Henrik Lundqvist in net and our best forward is 2nd in the league in points.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
It's terrible to keep harping on, but you put Cherepanov on this team and we're probably a top 4 seed in the East. I truly believe we are that close. No, we're probably not going anywhere this year, or probably next, but finding one player to compliment Gaborik (and I mean compliment, not just defer to him) is all we need to take that leap from "so-so" to elite. There's no reason to blow it all up.
that wouldnt solve the problem of nobody outside gaborik's line scoring.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cermi View Post
you're right, Hall will replace all those players easily.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Cermi

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
you're right, Hall will replace all those players easily.
First of all, it's very unlikely all of them would be traded and I didnt even mean that. Second, If we had Hall we would have our 1st line center. Third, I'm pretty sure there will be some available players in the offseason.

Cermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

This thread pops up at least once a year it seems...depressing as a fan

12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
NHLhockey1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
You're in your wildest dreams to invoke Cherepanov. What a non-sensical argument to a player who has passed away and still hadn't fully proven himself. He still didn't look up to NHL size to me and didn't have the endurance it would probably take to take a full NHL season. I'd give him two years in the AHL. He definitely didn't have the conditioning.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
You're in your wildest dreams to invoke Cherepanov. What a non-sensical argument to a player who has passed away and still hadn't fully proven himself. He still didn't look up to NHL size to me and didn't have the endurance it would probably take to take a full NHL season. I'd give him two years in the AHL. He definitely didn't have the conditioning.
There are many people that would disagree with you though.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
teams with elite goaltenders don't pick 1st, forget Taylor Hall people
Might I point this out? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Draft

The Panthers' goalie for that season was Luongo.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
There are many people that would disagree with you though.
Pretty sure we can argue this 'til we're dead too -- fact of the matter is, it's a moot point. Stalemate. There's no winning such an argument.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote