HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Two Stick Questions

Old
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
WithOutPaperss

vCash: 500
Two Stick Questions

One question is, I am 5'7 130 pounds, 16 years old. I am currently using senior sticks and I don't have that great of a shot...should I actually be using Intermediate sticks?

Second question is has anyone tried a Bauer Supreme One55? I found one for 54.99 online and was wondering how they are.

Thanks for any responses.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Heat McManus

IMO, you will be fine with Int sticks as far as not snapping them. I'm 5'6" 170. They work fine for me. I don't have a ton of upper body strength, but I have pretty good shot mechanics and I feel more comfortable with Int. sticks than Sr.

A bunch of my customers have used the One55 and like what they are getting for the cost. Durable stick that is pretty light in comparison to some other sticks around the same price. Not a feather, but not a brick either.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
One question is, I am 5'7 130 pounds, 16 years old. I am currently using senior sticks and I don't have that great of a shot...should I actually be using Intermediate sticks?

Second question is has anyone tried a Bauer Supreme One55? I found one for 54.99 online and was wondering how they are.

dude, you're like a clone of me ,but im 1-2 inches taller

Senior vs INT:
-Ive always used Sr sticks, my first OPS was actually the One55 (more on that later)
-My new strick is now the X:40 uncut 77flex
-My advice to you is to get a Sr stick wit the lowest flex possible (77 for Bauer, 75 of TPS/Easton etc.)
-Dont cut it, as you will grow for sure
-If you must cut it, be aware that this will increase flex

One55:
-got for $80 tax incl
-heavy stick, like others at its range, but not as heavy as some of the others (TPS R2)
-good puck feel, responsive
-onl availible in 87 flex in Sr
-Very durable and tough
-Overall: ok stick for its price, heavy, but gets the job done, good as backup stick

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 04:32 PM
CanadaBacon

Can you flex a senior stick?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:06 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I assume thats a question for the OP, but i forgot to elaborate anyways:

Yes what he said is very important, if cant flex even a 77 stick then its prob better to get an INT stick.

I cut my One55 originally up from 87 to mid 90's, cant flex the thing at all and therefore cant get any good shots off, the 77 flex X:40 was a world's difference

Old
12-10-2009, 06:26 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
dude, you're like a clone of me ,but im 1-2 inches taller

Senior vs INT:
-Ive always used Sr sticks, my first OPS was actually the One55 (more on that later)
-My new strick is now the X:40 uncut 77flex
-My advice to you is to get a Sr stick wit the lowest flex possible (77 for Bauer, 75 of TPS/Easton etc.)
-Dont cut it, as you will grow for sure
-If you must cut it, be aware that this will increase flex

One55:
-got for $80 tax incl
-heavy stick, like others at its range, but not as heavy as some of the others (TPS R2)
-good puck feel, responsive
-onl availible in 87 flex in Sr
-Very durable and tough
-Overall: ok stick for its price, heavy, but gets the job done, good as backup stick
You're my height and you don't cut the Sr. sticks at all? I couldn't imagine that, I cut at least 2" off and it's still to my nose. Where are they on you?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

I own two Supreme One55 shafts, I had purchased them because I wasn't sure if I would like composite sticks after using wood for 35 years. I like them just fine, they are heavier than the more top end sticks though but very durable and lighter than wood. if one were used to a somewhat expensive composite stick don't get any One55s because they will feel heavy.

I use top end blades in them though as they are just shafts but the main point being I am satisfied them. I use my Harrow composite shafts as they are lighter and a tapered shaft so the One55's are now backups but good ones.

No complaints for the money and they have a fantastic slapshot kickpoint.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 12-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
You're my height and you don't cut the Sr. sticks at all? I couldn't imagine that, I cut at least 2" off and it's still to my nose. Where are they on you?
the X:40 uncut is up to my eyebrows i think lol, yes its a personal preference but i think i should cut it because passes keep going under my blade...what's the inches cut to flex gain conversion again?

Old
12-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
the X:40 uncut is up to my eyebrows i think lol, yes its a personal preference but i think i should cut it because passes keep going under my blade...what's the inches cut to flex gain conversion again?
It varies company to company because not all sticks are the same exact materials. Not sure if yours has it but most sticks now have a guide right on the shaft by the buttend that tells you what the flex would be if you cut it at that line.

I use Harrow shafts and cut about 3 inches which changed it from a 100 flex to a 115 flex. Obviously that would not be the same for every stick so it helps you not.

Old
12-10-2009, 06:54 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Well it all depends on which stick. I have three senior sticks. A Bauer Vapor XVI, Sherwood Momentum JS19, and a Vector 8.0 shaft. The Sherwood and Vector I can flex a TINY amount. The Vapor on the other hand I can flex a good amount. I'm not too sure what flex they started with before I cut them but I think my Sherwood is around 90-100, my Vector from 100-110 and my Vapor could be anywhere from 80-100.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
I'm about the same size as you, 5'8, 130lbs. and I've been thinking about getting an intermediate stick. Right now I'm using a 77 flex NBOne90, I've cut it, and the flex is about 90 right now. I can flex it, but I'd prefer to have more flex out of it. I like my hockey sticks tall so I don't know if an intermediate will me tall enough for me.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:20 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Well it all depends on which stick. I have three senior sticks. A Bauer Vapor XVI, Sherwood Momentum JS19, and a Vector 8.0 shaft. The Sherwood and Vector I can flex a TINY amount. The Vapor on the other hand I can flex a good amount. I'm not too sure what flex they started with before I cut them but I think my Sherwood is around 90-100, my Vector from 100-110 and my Vapor could be anywhere from 80-100.
If you can load a Sr shaft (insert whatever brand you like), use a Sr

If you cant load it (insert whatever brand you like) go with a Int.

Old
12-11-2009, 02:16 AM
sabresEH

Divide your weight in half and that is the amount of flex u should be using.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
kind of. Ovechkin doesn't weight 154 lbs.

Old
12-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
If you can load a Sr shaft (insert whatever brand you like), use a Sr

If you cant load it (insert whatever brand you like) go with a Int.
why? I can load an 85, but prefer the whip of an Intermediate. It's personal preference up to a point.

Old
12-11-2009, 05:20 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
why? I can load an 85, but prefer the whip of an Intermediate. It's personal preference up to a point.
The OP asked a question, if he perfers to use an Int thats fine. There is a reason why there are Sr sticks.

PS if you have no problem loading a 85, you could be overloading the Int.

Old
12-11-2009, 07:52 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
I've heard this too, and I don't agree with it.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Most important factor is height, then strength IMO.

To the OP, yes, I would try an intermediate stick, something in the 65-75 flex range. If you keep your stick longer (above chin in skates), closer to 75, if it's shorter, closer to 65.

Personally, I'm 5'8" 180 (should be closer to 165), and I have two sticks, a 67 flex Vapor XXV cut 2" below the chin, and a 75 flex Sickick cut even with my chin.

I don't think much of cheap composite sticks...I would save a bit more money and get a shaft and wood blade. The One95 shaft is pretty cheap.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
It is a general guideline, there are exceptions onbviously but for the most part it is pretty much perfect.

The exceptions are guys who like very whippy sticks and short overweight fat guys.

I'm 6ft 4in and weigh about 240 or so and use a 115 Flex which is a little light. I was thinking of getting the new Bauer Supreme One95 one piece stick that is a few inches longer than normal and comes as a higher than normal flex. It is made for tall guys who can't find a proper flex for their weight because most people who buy sticks in a store are 5ft 10 180lbs. I looked at it and where I would cut it equated to a 120 flex.

Old
12-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
It is a general guideline, there are exceptions onbviously but for the most part it is pretty much perfect.

The exceptions are guys who like very whippy sticks and short overweight fat guys.

I'm 6ft 4in and weigh about 240 or so and use a 115 Flex which is a little light. I was thinking of getting the new Bauer Supreme One95 one piece stick that is a few inches longer than normal and comes as a higher than normal flex. It is made for tall guys who can't find a proper flex for their weight because most people who buy sticks in a store are 5ft 10 180lbs. I looked at it and where I would cut it equated to a 120 flex.
awesome, man, congrats.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
The OP asked a question, if he perfers to use an Int thats fine. There is a reason why there are Sr sticks.

PS if you have no problem loading a 85, you could be overloading the Int.
i could be, but i'm not.

Old
12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Ajlepisto

I thought I would mention it also depends what kind of shooting you like to do.

Wrist shots versus snap shots and slap shots, etc.

But what do I know, I always get the stiffest sticks I could find because I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs, and can't remember the last time I had a stick that had under 100 flex.

Ajlepisto is offline   Reply With Quote