HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Edler - Week to Week

Old
12-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Hammer79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Just to confirm, Brad Lukowich would need to be placed on re-entry waivers to be called back up wouldn't he?

I'm unsure of how he is playing for the Texas Stars in the AHL last season, but I think he still could contribute a hell of a lot better then Aaron Rome. Just would be risky to see him get picked off and us be stuck with a 600-700K cap hit. Maybe at playoff time he'll come up.
Lukowich has a $1.57 Mill cap hit. That's a bit steep for a 7th D-man. Losing him on recall would cost us $800K in cap space minus the games already played this season. We can recall him after the trade deadline. If he gets claimed on recall waivers, I believe that he can't play with his new club until the following season, so he gets stuck in limbo, unavailable to either team. We'll see some roster movement soon though, Rome's conditioning stint is only for 2 weeks before he has to clear waivers.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Too bad about Edler... he was just starting to come around and playing his best hockey in a long time.

Lukowich is just not an option for this team until after the deadline... until then, too big a risk to lose him on re-entry and the team doesn't have the cap space to take that risk. Rome is going to be recalled to fill the gap in the meanwhile, and hopefully both Schneider and O'Brien can play like regulars in the meantime.

As far as the Toronto trade suggestions - they are all crap. Finger is useless and wouldn't touch him even on reentry waivers - even at that price, which might be "worth it" for him, he is not needed in Vancouver... and Poni isn't needed either - we already have enough wingers on this team and I would rather keep an extra spot for Grabner, if you're going to waive someone to add another player, rather than give that spot to Poni. Exelby - again, useless!

Bieksa gets way too much flak IMO on these boards... even with his brain-cramps, missed plays, and lackadaisical play at times, he's still 10X the dman than Finger is... even with all his problems, he still generates points... and he's the type of player that you want in the playoffs - and he usually plays his best hockey later in the year as well.

Having said that, he definitely is the #1 guy that needs to step up with Edler out... Ehrhoff will be his usual self, and the rest of the guys - you get what you expect... with Edler out, the onus now is on Bieksa to step up his game, especially on the PP, to ride through these next 2 weeks. And again, this is where he is infinitely more valuable than a guy like Finger - Bieksa has that 40-point capability of stepping into the PP for a guy like Edler... Finger's a replacement for Rome more than anything else.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

Well, This can't be good.

Watch our Team fall in a **** load of Injuries again.

The Protein Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
I'm not the one who's part of a large consensus that's been bashing the man who logged 30+ quality minutes a game against a very tough dallas team a couple post-seasons ago. Second off, Finger (albeit overpaid) is not a simple salary dump a la Jason Blake. Fingerbanger is a very serviceable dman who needs a new home. Perhaps some of the posters here screaming for bieksa's head should be checked instead. After all, it HAS been going on all season long and I don't particularly see many posters defending his worth.
hey, how about we trade you guys Raycroft. Don't you guys need a goalie to backup the Monster? Like Finger, he's had a pretty good season. We'll take Poni off your hands for Raycroft and you can keep Finger. It's not like we're asking for one of your top prospects for him. Now seriously, what team would offer that for Raycroft?

Deal?

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
No interest in Finger, certainly not for Bieksa IMO. Bieksa's struggling a bit at the moment, but when he's on his game he's an effective player. Schneider will draw in, Rome will be the 7th man.

~Canucklehead~
Not a chance.

Ronaldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 10:51 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle3 View Post
Well, This can't be good.

Watch our Team fall in a **** load of Injuries again.
You're just a bundle of negativity, aren't you?

As for Bieksa, I agree, he's the one guy you want stepping it up. However, I feel Schnieder, if he can get his defensive game okay-ish, could be a boost for the D. Of course I don't see him getting his defensive game up to par as he's too small and old to do much in that regard.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Hooker

It's mind boggling that, to fix a two week absence of a defensemen, you would suggest taking on Jeff Finger and, since he won't fit under the cap, shipping out Kevin Bieksa. Not only is that a straight downgrade on defense for essentially the same cap hit, Vancouver doesn't wind up addressing the issue that prompted you to throw that idea out; picking up another defenseman.

Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Reign Nateo

Bieksa<<Finger

Too bad about Edler, he has been playing well. MG's best move was bringing in so much D. Too bad Funk is also hurt, would like to see what he could do.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:25 PM
YogiCanucks

Bieksa will turn it around. I think we have a really intelligent group of posters here but when all of you get together it just turns into one big Bieksa **** fest.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzucco View Post
Does anyone know when/how Lukowich could enter the line up? Whether it be now or later, I think the Canucks can use a stay at home D if AV is going to act treat our guys like they are.
I'm not an expert but I'd guess we are waiting until after the trade deadline to use him. I don't believe he'd be waiver eligible at that time. He could come up to provide some depth as long as we had the cap room.

Karl Hungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Wetcoaster

According to Dan Murphy - Edler has just had an MRI and results are pending:
Quote:
Edler MRI this morning, results will be made known tonight. He will not play tonight.
http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/6542151548

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
rye&ginger

from the way he was carrying his arm, separated shoulder I think is what he has.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Link: http://communities.canada.com/thepro...two-weeks.aspx

Hardly a highlight reel hit from Weber, but this hurts big-time either way. Hopefully Schneider can amp up his game once he's in the lineup on a more consistent basis.

~Canucklehead~
The one thing I've noticed about the current Vancouver management is that when ever there is an injury they always tend to post a date than what the actual time usually amounts to be. Like for Daniel it was '4-6 but it's a lot closer to 4 and he could be back in 3'. He of course was back in 6. I think this may have something to do with the Vancouver market, management could have figured out that if they SAY daniel is out for 6 weeks there will be a much higher panic level in the city thus much more unwanted media attention for the wrong reasons.

Point being, Edler could be done for the year (calendar year)

Old
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
from the way he was carrying his arm, separated shoulder I think is what he has.
yeah thats a lot longer than 2 weeks

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
yeah thats a lot longer than 2 weeks
Depends upon the degree.

Grade I (Mild)- 1 - 3 weeks

Grade II (Moderate) - 3 - 6 weeks

Grade III (Severe) - 6 - 12 weeks

It was noted at the time that Edler left without the need for a sling:
http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/6487194556

Usually that is indicative of a mild or Grade I shoulder separation.

It could also just be a bruise but that will be determined once the MRI results have been interpreted.

Old
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Depends upon the degree.

Grade I (Mild)- 1 - 3 weeks

Grade II (Moderate) - 3 - 6 weeks

Grade III (Severe) - 6 - 12 weeks

It was noted at the time that Edler left without the need for a sling:
http://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/6487194556

Usually that is indicative of a mild or Grade I shoulder separation.

It could also just be a bruise but that will be determined once the MRI results have been interpreted.
Oh so now you're a doctor now too.

Old
12-10-2009, 05:48 PM
passive voice

Quote:
Don't forget you get to say "FINGERBANGED!" at least once-twice a game.
****, he's got us there.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Oh so now you're a doctor now too.
Nope I have seen a number of shoulder separations in the past. Also suffered two myself - one mild, one moderate.

Old
12-10-2009, 08:28 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

So why didn't any Nuck go after Weber to give him a hit or two?

One for Edlers hit and one for the obvious slewfoot on Kesler when he scored?

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Ouch... luckily San Jose shat the bed and gave vancouver Erhoff. Since Bieksa's been getting flamed around here lately, Jeff Finger interest anyone? Overpaid by 1.5 million but a pretty solid dman nonetheless. U guys have no cap room though, salary would have to go back to the leafs but i'm sure BB would love Bieksa rage back.
That's like trading AIDS for syphillis.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
To be fair, I think most people would happily make such a trade.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:06 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's a solid deal for you guys then. Based on the way you formed your sentence, Bieksa is AIDS and Finger Syphilis? That sorta makes sense as I'm pretty sure a person can't get AIDS from fingerbanging someone.

Leafs accept the offer of Kevin HIV+ for Jeff Syphilis

PhillyFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:08 AM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Bieksa will turn it around. I think we have a really intelligent group of posters here but when all of you get together it just turns into one big Bieksa **** fest.
Maybe so but it's always fun to keep tabs on the fickle ones. Once Bieksa steps up (and I'm confident he will) those same douches are going to be slobbering all over his **** again.

PhillyFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Wetcoaster

The word is Edler may be gone for one week so it sounds like a Grade I (mild) shoulder separation.
Quote:
But the better news for the Canucks is that defenceman Alexander Edler won't be lost for a lengthy period. That was in some doubt after Tuesday, when Edler suffered a left shoulder injury after being checked into the boards by Nashville's Shea Weber.

Edler suffered a partial shoulder separation, but is expected to miss only one week.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1396614/

Old
12-11-2009, 04:35 AM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The word is Edler may be gone for one week so it sounds like a Grade I (mild) shoulder separation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1396614/
Can any medical experts verify that one week is a reasonable expectation for missed time when it comes to a "partial shoulder separation"?

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote