HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes Quarter Pole report cards

Old
12-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Coyotes Quarter Pole report cards

Report Cards are out for the Coyotes. Check it out.

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2009/12/07...ort-card-time/

Agree? Disagree? Harumph away.

Old
12-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Report Cards are out for the Coyotes. Check it out.

http://coyotes.azvibe.com/2009/12/07...ort-card-time/

Agree? Disagree? Harumph away.
I'd give Korpi a C-, Prucha a C+ and the offense a C.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 12:59 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Aucoin is basically having a career year. I say A+.
I Say Korpikoski is a D.

Offense is a C-
If a C grade is average our offense is bellow average so they are a C-. I would go D but they are getting just enough goals so they get a bit of a pass.

LaBarbera is a C.

Doan is a B.

I think you should have graded Michalek (21 games is plenty), Lepisto, and Vandermeer as well.

Michalek is a B.

Lepisto is a B.

Vandermeer is a A-.

I think the only major disagreement I have with your grades is the offense.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:27 AM
Fedz

Maybe I'm crazy but I just haven't been that impressed with Keith Yandle, maybe I just can't forget him scoring on his own net...that was bad. He's been good, but not A+ good.

Aucoin deserves the A+ on the backend in my opinion, he has been magnificient for this team, a true rock so far.

And thank god I'm not the only person frustrated with Korpi..this guy has all the tools..

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Thanks for posting your article. It's much more than we get from the local media.

My biggest disagreement is Keith Yandle. There's nobody I'd rather see skate it out of his own end and have on the point on the PP, but he continues to be weak in his own corners, losing battles all the time. He has to be able to dish out and take hits more often. I'll give him a B.

Couldn't agree more with Winnik's A. He's great on the PK, and his puck possession skills are the best on the team after Doan.

I'd upgrade Lang to a B+, as he's still making things happen. He has the best sense of where to go and where everybody else is on the team, which makes up for his lack of speed.

Maybe you graded Vrbata a bit high. I'll go with B+, and maybe I'm just expecting him to put up more points. He's certainly been confident with the puck, and putting a lot of shots on net.

You're being generous with that B for Prucha. He's skilled, but I don't know he gets more than a C+ at this point in the season.

I wish you had graded all of the players. You could have given Vandermeer a B+ or A- as a more-than-adequate replacement for Ken Klee. Michalek would also be up there with an A-. Hanzal I'm not as sold on until he starts scoring -- B?

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 09:12 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but I just haven't been that impressed with Keith Yandle, maybe I just can't forget him scoring on his own net...that was bad. He's been good, but not A+ good.
?? It's only his 3rd season in the NHL, he's 23, and he's playing 20 minutes a night with offensive stats comparable to our 2 well known offensive D vets - Jovo and Aucoin.

You'd give Aucoin an A+ for his 4-11-15 / 0 (+/-) record, but aren't impressed with Yandle's 4-8-12 / +4?? That makes zero sense.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
?? It's only his 3rd season in the NHL, he's 23, and he's playing 20 minutes a night with offensive stats comparable to our 2 well known offensive D vets - Jovo and Aucoin.

You'd give Aucoin an A+ for his 4-11-15 / 0 (+/-) record, but aren't impressed with Yandle's 4-8-12 / +4?? That makes zero sense.
I agree with this.
Yandle has been short of amazing.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Fedz

Statlines don't mean everything. Aucoin has been a rock for the Coyotes and has played against other teams top players most nights. I'm by no means *not* impressed by Yandle this season, at his age he's playing extremely well but if there's two minutes left in the game and my team needs a goal or is trying to prevent a goal I put Aucoin out there first. I've seen about 8 games live this year and this is the feeling I get with the two of them.

Don't take this is as I'm not thrilled about Yandle, I can't even say he will be a great top 4 defenseman one day in the future, because he already is..but at this point Aucoin is the better all around defenseman.

Old
12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
yakko

Quote:
Statlines don't mean everything. Aucoin has been a rock for the Coyotes and has played against other teams top players most nights. I'm by no means *not* impressed by Yandle this season, at his age he's playing extremely well but if there's two minutes left in the game and my team needs a goal or is trying to prevent a goal I put Aucoin out there first. I've seen about 8 games live this year and this is the feeling I get with the two of them.
I'd agree with you about preventing a goal, but I'm not so sure about getting one. They are two different players at this point.

Yandle is faster and much better and carrying the puck up ice on his own. The last few games when Yandle has the puck behind his own net he comes out knowing that once he gets by someone they aren't going to catch him. He carries the puck up through the defensive and neutral zones with great confidence.

Aucoin is a tougher guy, especially in front of the net and along the boards. He is also a little bit smarter than Yandle about positioning. Aucoin also clearly has a harder slap shot, but I think Yandle is a lot more accurate both shooting, passing and with that shot-pass.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
pyregretzky

Bryz needs about 4 +'s thrown after his A, he is a legit threat for award consideration this year

Quote:

Aucoin deserves the A+ on the backend in my opinion, he has been magnificient for this team, a true rock so far.

And thank god I'm not the only person frustrated with Korpi..this guy has all the tools..
Comparing a defensive defenseman to an offensive defenseman is apples to oranges. Both bring different elements but can't really be held to the same metrics. At his age what Yandle brings and how he performed when half of the d was injured(and continues to perform) makes him worthy of any praise thrown his way

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 03:06 PM
zz

Quote:
Statlines don't mean everything. Aucoin has been a rock for the Coyotes and has played against other teams top players most nights.
I'm not talking about Aucoin, I'm talking about Yandle. I never said Aucoin wasn't good, he and Jovo have been rock solid.

Your original statement, which I did not agree with:
Quote:
Maybe I'm crazy but I just haven't been that impressed with Keith Yandle
But now you're stating:
Quote:
I'm by no means *not* impressed by Yandle this season. [...]Don't take this is as I'm not thrilled about Yandle.
That doesn't make any sense. Which one is it?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 12:28 AM
WJF

vCash: 50
Nigel Dawes has more goals than any yote.

He gets an A+

We let him walk for nothing. Now we can't score.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post

He gets an A+

Only because Calgary has a stronger offensive core than us. Our team last this season is not that much different than what he had at the trade deadline last season and Dawes wasn't all that great for us with what we had.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I totally agree with Yandle being an A+. He's been very solid especially skating up the puck. Michalek also deserves an A. He's been great out there blocking shots ect. A name that I'm getting concerned about scoring is Hanzal....when's the last time he had a goal? He's been a beast defensively but just not too many goals so far....(its been said that Hanzal is one of the guys Datsyuk hates playing because he is such a good defender) And Vrbata has fallen off quite a bit in the goal production since having that flurry or goals in the beggining of the year. Prucha has started to pot goals and the chemistry with Vrby is still very good....Overall team so far I would give it an A.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Chootoi

I agree with the grades for the most part, but that's a straight up cop out on Mueller.

"He's played so bad I can't give him a grade because I know he can be better" is essentially what it says.

Other minor changes for me:

I wouldn't give Doan an A just yet. B+ is justified. He's always been a slow starter and this year is no different. He's looked good, but not "Mid season form kick your teeth in, take his puck and blast home the OT winner" good.

Bryzgalov should be an A+ with gold stars.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 06:43 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Only because Calgary has a stronger offensive core than us. Our team last this season is not that much different than what he had at the trade deadline last season and Dawes wasn't all that great for us with what we had.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can't quote the abbreviated one to respond directly, but Dawes also plays in a completely different system than the one they Yotes have now in addition to having a better offensive line up.

If the playoffs started RIGHT NOW the Yotes would have the fewest Goals for of any playoff team in the west. But combine that with the second lowest goals against and you get one of these

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post

He gets an A+

WJF, refresh my memory here. Were you advocating Phoenix to re-sign him over the summer? Or are you just looking to take a pot shot at the Coyotes?

Dawes has fit in well with Calgary. He's done well. That's great for him but he absolutely sucked during his tryout last season with Phoenix. He was so bad I was yelling at my screen at times for the team to stop playing him because it wasn't working. Glad to see he's turned it around but going after Phoenix management for passing after last season to me just seems like you are just trying to take a shot for taking a shot.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
Bryz needs about 4 +'s thrown after his A, he is a legit threat for award consideration this year

Comparing a defensive defenseman to an offensive defenseman is apples to oranges. Both bring different elements but can't really be held to the same metrics. At his age what Yandle brings and how he performed when half of the d was injured(and continues to perform) makes him worthy of any praise thrown his way
He damn sure better be. Bryz has been AMAZING.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
hbk

I posted a thread about appropriate offensive expectations earlier this year.... Here's my thoughts on where we are at:

1) Doan - 75 Points - hopefully others step up to help carry the load

On pace for 20 goals and 50 points. I'd give Doan a B this year. I think he can raise his game to a higher level and I still think he suffered a concussion and played hurt for part of this year.

2) Mueller - 60 Points - a return to center and hopefully his rookie form

He's a F. He's played so far below expectations that we are actually shocked when he starts showing promise again. He's much better than this grade. Most frustrating Coyote this year.

3) Lombardi (formerly Reinprecht) - 55 points

He's on pace for 50 points. Playing to expectations offensively but think he has a higher gear in him. He's also played hurt at times. I give him a solid B/B+

4) Vrbata - 50 points

On pace for a 20 G/20 A season. That earns Vrbata a B.

5) Hanzal - 45 points - going to be a 20/20 man

Offensively he's still falling below where I would like to see him (25 points) but he's become the dominant 3rd line checking center we envisioned when we drafted him. I give Hanzel a B.

6) Prucha - 40 points - top 6 role at this point

Not happening. Producing at about half what I expected. He's a D.

7) Upshall - 40 points - Vrbata moves him down the depth chart... potentially

He's bang on for offensive expectations. That gives him a B.

8) Korpedo - 30 points - another step forward in development?

On pace for about 5 points. He gets a F.

9) Fiddler - 30 points

Right on pace for his points. He gets a B/B+

10) Winnik - 20 points

Exceeding expecations. I give him a B+/A

I'd personally say that our real strenght this year has been the play of our blueline. I'd rank Aucoin, Jovo, and Yandle with an A grade.

Lang - He gets a C

Pyatt - D. Played well lately but struggled early on.

Lepisto - B. Very good pickup by Maloney.

Michalek - B/B+ Mr. Consistency needs a contract extension.

Vandemeer - B - Actually has filled a role quite nicely; especially with Jovo and Sauer being gone for long stretches.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I'm not talking about Aucoin, I'm talking about Yandle. I never said Aucoin wasn't good, he and Jovo have been rock solid.

Your original statement, which I did not agree with:

But now you're stating:

That doesn't make any sense. Which one is it?
Read those two sentences...I said I haven't been that impressed with Yandle, that doesn't mean I'm not impressed it means I'm not as impressed as you or a few others are. In fact I think he's been better than I expected, but I'm not going as far as saying he's an A+ or the rock of the team or a better offensive defenseman than Aucoin.

Aucoin has something many players in this league don't possess and thats his shot. Really, the Coyotes aren't complaining at all having Jovo, Aucoin, and Yandle as a 1,2,3 cause I think that's how they're playing right now so I'm not entirely sure where the issue is?

I like the kid, he's one of my favourites on the Coyotes to be honest, I'm just not about to call him the rock of the defense...sorry.