HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Bettmans offer means no Ovechkin!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2004, 09:06 PM
  #26
Foppa_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Earth...how about you?
Country: United States
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Oops, sorry for the double post.

Foppa_Rules is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 03:55 AM
  #27
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
So what's the problem? We're talking about competition as if it's bad.

If the NHL doesn't offer competitive enough salaries for young players, they'll lose some. That's the whole "free market" system at work.

I'm not concerned about the Russian stuff at all. They're throwing big bucks around right now, trying to get a few stars. They don't have enough cash, or attendance and buildings to do much of it.

PecaFan is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 09:29 AM
  #28
chara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Ovechkin can play wherever he wants but IMO he'll want to eventually makes his mark playing against the world's best players in the NHL.

Older guys like Kovalev and Jagr have little left to prove in the NHL. Russia is a great option to finish out their careers.

chara is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 02:40 PM
  #29
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,551
vCash: 500
so the nhl would miss out on a couple of great prospects every 5 years and a bunch of middle of the road guys....not too worried about that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
It's not only big talent. It's middle talent and ever lower.
Last year, the wings lost 25 year old defenseman Dmitri Bykov to Russia. The Wings weren't willing to match Bykov's $1 Million, tax free offer.
Granted, it's only one player. But if they've got $1Million to throw at Dmitri Bykov, don't underestimate their ability to compete the NHL for the best of the young Russians limited by $850,000 contracts. Also talented RFAs may be tempted to go back.
Or even third line forwards.

Overall, it does represent a threat to the talent level in the NHL. Whether or not this threat really manifests itself remains to be seen.
But ignoring it would be silly.

If there is a cap, the NHL needs to eliminate this bogus entry level system.
Last thing we need is the WHA starting up, attracting some NHL stars, and then offering $2M a year to Crosby.


This year, a Russian team was trying to woo Pavel Datsyuk, a restricted free agent.

txomisc is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 04:11 PM
  #30
futurcorerock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Ovy would jump over at the prospect of making the big bucks. Sure, he'd make less money from the Caps from the get-go but once he gets of age and Free Agency becomes his bedfellow, it won't be an issue

futurcorerock is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 04:23 PM
  #31
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
What about the money Ovehckin would make with sponsorship in the states? He wouldnt certainly make that in Russia. I know its not their home but the way i see guys like Bure and Federov embrace the U.S. life style i dont see why they would want so badly to go home...

jcpenny is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 05:41 PM
  #32
hockeyfan33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Armenia
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Ovechkin can play wherever he wants but IMO he'll want to eventually makes his mark playing against the world's best players in the NHL.

Older guys like Kovalev and Jagr have little left to prove in the NHL. Russia is a great option to finish out their careers.

so what if the NHL owners bring scabs like they are threatining to? The NHL automatically loses it's label as the world's best league, maybe not even top 5.

hockeyfan33 is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 05:58 PM
  #33
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan33
so what if the NHL owners bring scabs like they are threatining to? The NHL automatically loses it's label as the world's best league, maybe not even top 5.
That would heavily depend on the scabs.

It will also depend on whether established NHLers will cross the line and join in for a piece of the action.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
12-20-2004, 06:17 PM
  #34
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,820
vCash: 500
Who is saying that Ovechkin will get the big bucks after 4 years. Hís only option would be to hold out. The caps has quit allot of really good young players, once Ovechkin gets a 6 million offer Semin will want 4 million ect. With Bettmans offer I doubt teams will be able to afford paying a really good young player 6 million a year.

Ovechkin will be up for the big bucks once he becomes a Hart Trophy candidate or UFA, with the way Bettman runs the league right now not many stars stay healty for more then 10 years in the league. The top three upcomming stars 10 years ago, Forsberg, Kariya and Lindros have had allot of trouble lately. Who would give them big bucks under hardcap conditions today???

Ovechkin would take one helluva risk signing with the caps if Bettman gets his will...

Ola is online now  
Old
12-20-2004, 06:43 PM
  #35
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Who is saying that Ovechkin will get the big bucks after 4 years. Hís only option would be to hold out. The caps has quit allot of really good young players, once Ovechkin gets a 6 million offer Semin will want 4 million ect. With Bettmans offer I doubt teams will be able to afford paying a really good young player 6 million a year.

Ovechkin will be up for the big bucks once he becomes a Hart Trophy candidate or UFA, with the way Bettman runs the league right now not many stars stay healty for more then 10 years in the league. The top three upcomming stars 10 years ago, Forsberg, Kariya and Lindros have had allot of trouble lately. Who would give them big bucks under hardcap conditions today???

Ovechkin would take one helluva risk signing with the caps if Bettman gets his will...
Which is why the current model isn't working . . . . . the Caps might be able to draft and develop Ovechkin, but if something isn't fixed, they won't be able to afford to keep him.

HockeyCritter is offline  
Old
12-21-2004, 08:04 AM
  #36
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
Which is why the current model isn't working . . . . . the Caps might be able to draft and develop Ovechkin, but if something isn't fixed, they won't be able to afford to keep him.
Yes they would without a doubt. Lets keep the level up a little bit on this board. Its a discussion forum, not a debate...

Ola is online now  
Old
12-21-2004, 11:04 AM
  #37
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
<<<snipped>>>. Lets keep the level up a little bit on this board. Its a discussion forum, not a debate...
Meaning what precisely?

Is not healthy debate a form of discussion, particularily if those responding are civil?

HockeyCritter is offline  
Old
12-21-2004, 11:30 AM
  #38
Lanny MacDonald*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter
Meaning what precisely?

Is not healthy debate a form of discussion, particularily if those responding are civil?
No no no. A debate is an evil thing because it means you have to actually understand the topic you are discussing and bring some supporting data to substantiate your position to be taken seriously. In a discussion anyone can talk out their buttocks and still garner a little respect for stepping to the plate.


Lanny MacDonald* is offline  
Old
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM
  #39
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iconoclast
No no no. A debate is an evil thing because it means you have to actually understand the topic you are discussing and bring some supporting data to substantiate your position to be taken seriously. In a discussion anyone can talk out their buttocks and still garner a little respect for stepping to the plate.

Or a discussing is when you discuss a subject with a open mind and a debate is where you are trying to prove your point to a third part... Who is the third part in this case, who cares what someone else on this board thinks?

Someone stated that Caps wouldn´t be able to afford Ovechkin without a hard cap. I doubt anyone really belives that. Do you want me to prove that the Caps would afford Ovech? I can´t. I still belive that both you and me belives they would.

Allot of canadian fans have a hard time to admit that the only reason they support Bettman is because his proposal would make their teams more competetive. Thats the only reason I can come up with why they keep making stuip replys like that as if it was somekind of debate.

Ola is online now  
Old
12-21-2004, 10:37 PM
  #40
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Or a discussing is when you discuss a subject with a open mind and a debate is where you are trying to prove your point to a third part... Who is the third part in this case, who cares what someone else on this board thinks?

Someone stated that Caps wouldn´t be able to afford Ovechkin without a hard cap. I doubt anyone really belives that. Do you want me to prove that the Caps would afford Ovech? I can´t. I still belive that both you and me belives they would.

Allot of canadian fans have a hard time to admit that the only reason they support Bettman is because his proposal would make their teams more competetive. Thats the only reason I can come up with why they keep making stuip replys like that as if it was somekind of debate.
Courtesy of dictionary.com:

de·bate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-bt)
v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates
v. intr.
To consider something; deliberate.
To engage in argument by discussing opposing points.
To engage in a formal discussion or argument.
Obsolete. To fight or quarrel.

dis·cus·sion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skshn)
n.
Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.
A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.

Discussion & debate are almost identical, debate is just a more formal version.
As for "who cares what someone else on this board thinks?"

Isn't that the point of these forums? To read and discuss/debate the merits of different/opposing viewpoints?

I think the majority of Canadian fans have no trouble admiting that they hope the new cba allows them to be competitive, is that not the central issue?


Ola: You've lost me, along with the majority of posters, I'd suspect. It sounds like English may not be your first language, am I missing the point of what you're trying to say?

Marconius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.