HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PHX rejected Sanguinetti for Mueller

Old
12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I strongly question his credibility after he wrote that article about the Rangers not offering Orpik a contract (when it appears that they did). IMO, he just seems hell-bent on attacking Sather left and right, and he goes too far with it.

His schtick is getting old. All he ever seems to do is write up angry articles criticizing the team.
1. You should do some research on the Orpik situation. Brooks never claimed we didnt offer a contract...he claimed we didnt get around to offering one until a couple of days into free agency. By that time, Orpik has made up his mind he was going back to Pitt.

2. What the hell else is he going to write about? Would you rather have some puff piece about how the Ranger are working hard to sort out their problems? Hell no, not me. Its refreshing to see a beat writer hammer away at the real issues regarding why this team is such a disaster.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss2leetch View Post
I don't like this at all, big surprise huh. Moving our youth for an underachiever just hoping that he'll find his stride in NY. Our team needs to be built from Hartford, that is where the chemistry and "system" is developed. Why make all this investment in "our" guy only to trade him away for another "project" Typical delusional thinking by the genius.
I don't understand how fans don't want to staff the team via UFA, and they don't want to staff it by trading commodities with value. At some point, you have to embrace one of these solutions if you want to build a team with he right pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
- I really don't see why people hate Brooks. Articles like this are great.
Every 3rd post in the forum says exactly the same thing that Brooks just printed. At some point, does just the non-stop *****ing ever get old for you? Ever?

Brooks is a smart hockey guy. Give me some analysis on what's going on, or some insight about what goes down in practice after a game like that. And if he MUST cry himself to sleep every night over Michael Rozsival's paycheck, how about at least offering up a solution to how you're going to replace him once he's demoted? This isn't even "writing" in my opinion. It's complaining. It's the same.....tired......opinion......week.....after... ..week.....after....week. No content. No value. Nothing. I'm don't even like Larry Brooks, but I expect a lot better of him.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:22 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish every Ranger worked as hard as Callahan.

But he's an alternate captain and I haven't noticed his ability to get anyone else to play as hard as he does.

I'd trade him for Mueller.

Wouldn't trade Dubinsky, though. Still has a higher ceiling than Cally.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
NY Ranger86

Mueller for Callahan???? Noooooooooo Why do you guys think this is ok??

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
And Callahan has 9, so I'll take my chances adding the more talented player.
Mueller is just not any good. I can show you posts I've made 3, 2 and 1 year ago stating that Mueller just ain't no good.

He plays the style of a megastar, and naturally stood out as a kid. But a big majority of kids like him is never able to take the next step. Steve Bernier is another example...

Its important to remember that players like him is as talented at the junior level as guys like Mario, Orr and co where in the NHL. Its a different sport basically. Some develop bad habits, have flaws they don't correct and therefor aren't good prospects to get to the next level. Others have it all and can take a step back and still be a good player at a higher level.

Mueller just isn't one of them. And another misstake people make is that they believe that "if" a player like Mueller gets it togheter, they have a lot more "potential". Can anyone give ONE example of that? One?

Its a lot easier to find examples of players like Callahan or Korpikoski developing a offensive game then it is to find examples of players with top end skills like Mueller or Robbie Schremp learning to get involved constantly at a higher level.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:30 AM
NY Ranger86

you guys want to send off the only skater on the Rangers with an ounce of grit??? Pretty much the only guy who is hitting people on the ice??

You think were bad now? Give up callahan for Mueller... wow we might as well start watching figure hockey than rangers hockey.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:33 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Mueller for Callahan???? Noooooooooo Why do you guys think this is ok??
Because Mueller has twice the skill Callahan has, Mueller is a future 1st line center, and Mueller is only 21 years old.

Callahan is a third line player, at most. He has no hands. He's small and un-intimidating. He makes twice as much as Mueller. And he is 24 years old.

It's a no brainer.

People are in love with Callahan's effort. Unfortunately, he has nothing else but effort.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:34 AM
blue2noise

Brooks has been spot on ALL SEASON

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
1. You should do some research on the Orpik situation. Brooks never claimed we didnt offer a contract...he claimed we didnt get around to offering one until a couple of days into free agency. By that time, Orpik has made up his mind he was going back to Pitt.
Brooks doesn't say that they waited and eventually offered a contract, he says a contract "never materialized" which implies the Rangers never offered one.

Orpik himself says that the Rangers offered him a contract worth more than what the Penguins offered per year, but he turned them down.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:36 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlueJay View Post
This just exemplifies the fact that, Sather is hated by just about every other GM, except Maloney.
Despite the fact that we all dislike him, Sather appears to be very popular in the league and with the board of governors.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Vitto79

I really can't wait for Sather to make his first trae. It's inevitable guys. Change for Change sake maybe but it's inevitable

I can see Girardi,Higgins,Lisin in a package. Lkely for even talent and likely with a team like Aneheim or Carolina who also wants to shake it up

I could see TO getting in the mix here too. Also the Yotes are still an option as they are obviously talking. Maybe St Louis?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Who cares. The point of this article is that this team is broken and unrepairable for the foreseeable future.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think Redden already is the #1 veteran defenseman by default. At least, he's played much better than Rozsival this year and he seems to be more of a leader in the locker room
Del Zotto is the best D man on this team...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Levitate

I like Del Zotto a lot but I don't think his defensive coverage has been as good as Reddens this year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Because Mueller has twice the skill Callahan has, Mueller is a future 1st line center, and Mueller is only 21 years old.

Callahan is a third line player, at most. He has no hands. He's small and un-intimidating. He makes twice as much as Mueller. And he is 24 years old.

It's a no brainer.

People are in love with Callahan's effort. Unfortunately, he has nothing else but effort.
You mean nothing but effort and more points than Mueller this season. Right?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Every 3rd post in the forum says exactly the same thing that Brooks just printed.
That's exactly why it's a great article... it says what everyone that takes this team seriously already knows, but Brooks puts it out there for the rest to read.

He's telling the average fan what they have the right to, and in all honesty should, know.

His indictment of Sather is spot on and having it out there for public consumption is a step closer to fixing it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You mean nothing but effort and more points than Mueller this season. Right?
Mueller is 21 years old.

And Callahan has a WHOPPING 3 points more. Registering nearly 6 minutes MORE ATOI. More PP time. More 5v5 time.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 12-11-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I strongly question his credibility after he wrote that article about the Rangers not offering Orpik a contract (when it appears that they did). IMO, he just seems hell-bent on attacking Sather left and right, and he goes too far with it.
How can you go too far with someone who has plagued this franchise the way this dolt has?

Quote:
His schtick is getting old. All he ever seems to do is write up angry articles criticizing the team.
Maybe that's because this team rarely does anything worthy of praise. Maybe it's because the team is a joke of a franchise that deserves every ounce of criticism it gets, and more.

Quote:
What the hell else is he going to write about? Would you rather have some puff piece about how the Ranger are working hard to sort out their problems? Hell no, not me. Its refreshing to see a beat writer hammer away at the real issues regarding why this team is such a disaster.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
That's exactly why it's a great article... it says what everyone that takes this team seriously already knows, but Brooks puts it out there for the rest to read.

He's telling the average fan what they have the right to, and in all honesty should, know.

His indictment of Sather is spot on and having it out there for public consumption is a step closer to fixing it.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
Sangs for Boedker, they both play in the AHL so they must be equal
I'm down. Boedker is a boom or bust type of prospect, but if he booms, he'll boom big. He's got great moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Mueller is just not any good. I can show you posts I've made 3, 2 and 1 year ago stating that Mueller just ain't no good.

He plays the style of a megastar, and naturally stood out as a kid. But a big majority of kids like him is never able to take the next step. Steve Bernier is another example...

Its important to remember that players like him is as talented at the junior level as guys like Mario, Orr and co where in the NHL. Its a different sport basically. Some develop bad habits, have flaws they don't correct and therefor aren't good prospects to get to the next level. Others have it all and can take a step back and still be a good player at a higher level.

Mueller just isn't one of them. And another misstake people make is that they believe that "if" a player like Mueller gets it togheter, they have a lot more "potential". Can anyone give ONE example of that? One?

Its a lot easier to find examples of players like Callahan or Korpikoski developing a offensive game then it is to find examples of players with top end skills like Mueller or Robbie Schremp learning to get involved constantly at a higher level.
You're probably right. He looked absolutely terrible last year.

I'd take a chance on a guy like Mueller, but certainly not for Callahan or Dubinsky. My guess is both end up with far longer and more successful careers than Mueller.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I'm glad this didn't go through, I don't think we need another underachieving forward to add to our lineup at the expense of a guy that could be on our blue line for years.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:09 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

Quite honestly I'm not sure you've watched Mueller. When he first entered the league he was doing everything right. He has a nose for the net and has a very deceptive game. His size is good too. I'm not sure how you can claim someone with top end skills falling off can never come back. There's no validity w/ that statement. Do you have proof of this? Do you have Proof that someone like Korpedo can break-out at a higher level? We're still waiting for that one...

You don't. The only thing we do know is that Mueller is a very talented player that did get over 50 points in his rookie year. That isn't bad at all. Sometimes it doesn't work out for the team you're on. An example close to home can be Nigel Dawes.

I can almost Guarantee you that Mueller will be 2-3x more the player Bernier is, whom you compared him to. Especially under Torts.

I'm not sure about Callahan going the other way. His effort is probably the best in the league. However, we are deep defensively in tersm od prospects. I would have jumped on the Sanguinetti deal. Too bad Maloney rejected.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I'm glad this didn't go through, I don't think we need another underachieving forward to add to our lineup at the expense of a guy that could be on our blue line for years.

yea but their is depth in teh system on D. I am fine with a deal like this for a young F. In the end we all hope Rozsival can be moved to make room for a young Dman

I wonder if TO would do Finger and a pick for Rozsival. Finger's contract stinks bad but it does save 1.5 million and TO gets the better player even though we bash the heck out of Rozsival. Plus TO has alot of UFA's that maybe could be sent over aswell

Rozsival for Finger and Exelby?...................also everyone is drunk if you would trade Callahan for Meuller. Callahan atleast buts his arse every game and does the little things right. I am still on the fence if he is a 2nd or 3rd line player but there is n pt to move him. ........Girardi is gone folks, he is a young peice they can move.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
beastly115

What the hell is Sather's problem? Callahan is terrible. He's a 3rd line grinder which we have PLENTY of.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The fact that Sanguinetti was one of the last members of the 2006 first round draft class to get a cup of coffee and the fact that he still doesnt have an NHL job suggest underachievement to me. Just IMO.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:13 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
What the hell is Sather's problem? Callahan is terrible. He's a 3rd line grinder which we have PLENTY of.
Not just plenty of, but plenty of BETTER third line players, too.

Higgins, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Avery just to name a few. Could do what Callahan does, and produce more.

Jesus, even Enver Lisin, who has been "bad" has only one less point, with CONSIDERABLY less ATOI and less PP time.

Even HE is a better third line option.

Get this deal done.

Callahan for Mueller.

It's a forward thinking move, that brings in a ton of potential, saves about a mil in cap space, and makes the roster younger.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Quite honestly I'm not sure you've watched Mueller. When he first entered the league he was doing everything right. He has a nose for the net and has a very deceptive game. His size is good too. I'm not sure how you can claim someone with top end skills falling off can never come back. There's no validity w/ that statement. Do you have proof of this? Do you have Proof that someone like Korpedo can break-out at a higher level? We're still waiting for that one...

You don't. The only thing we do know is that Mueller is a very talented player that did get over 50 points in his rookie year. That isn't bad at all. Sometimes it doesn't work out for the team you're on. An example close to home can be Nigel Dawes.

I can almost Guarantee you that Mueller will be 2-3x more the player Bernier is, whom you compared him to. Especially under Torts.

I'm not sure about Callahan going the other way. His effort is probably the best in the league. However, we are deep defensively in tersm od prospects. I would have jumped on the Sanguinetti deal. Too bad Maloney rejected.
We're talking about the guy that has 1 goal in 26 games, right? Don't we have enough reclamation projects here in Manhattan? Boyle has triple his goals with much less ice time and is also a former first round draft pick. Enough with these "project" forwards - Zherdev, Kotalik, Christensen, Lisin, Higgins, etc... there's always talk of potential, had a bad year last year, didn't play enough, needed more ice time, confidence issues, "mercurial", etc...

I want a guy that brings it every night and has done so consistently for 5 years and has 15+ goals in each of those years. I'm done with potential.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote