HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole (out 2-3 weeks) and Larose (out 3-4 weeks) placed on IR. Dwyer, Tlusty recalled

Old
12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
Cole (2-3 weeks), LaRose (3-4 weeks) out, Tlusty and Dwyer recalled

Tlusty didn't have to wait long. Where do these mystery injuries keep coming from?

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=509490

Quote:
RALEIGH, NC—Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forwards Patrick Dwyer and Jiri Tlusty (YIH-ree T’LOO-stee) from the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rutherford also announced that the club will place forwards Erik Cole (upper body – expected to miss 2-3 weeks) and Chad LaRose (lower body – expected to miss 3-4 weeks) on injured reserve. Dwyer and Tlusty will be on the ice for the Hurricanes’ morning skate today at Verizon Center, and are eligible to play tonight against Washington.

12-11-2009, 09:38 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Cole (out 2-3 weeks) and Larose (out 3-4 weeks) placed on IR. Dwyer, Tlusty recalled

Quote:
team has recalled forwards Patrick Dwyer and Jiri Tlusty (YIH-ree T’LOO-stee) from the Albany River Rats of the American Hockey League (AHL). Rutherford also announced that the club will place forwards Erik Cole (upper body – expected to miss 2-3 weeks) and Chad LaRose (lower body – expected to miss 3-4 weeks) on injured reserve. Dwyer and Tlusty will be on the ice for the Hurricanes’ morning skate today at Verizon Center, and are eligible to play tonight against Washington.

Darn, they keep dropping like flies. Although, Tlusty is probably an improvement over Chad Larose at this point anyway.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I win by seconds!

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Guy

The hilarious facebook comments are already inbound. If any 2 were going to go down for an extended period of time, these 2 would be at the top of my list. I would like to see somebody besides Dwyer get the other callup though so we can see some new blood up here. Somewhat pumped to see what Tlusty will do, I'd imagine he'll slide into some decent minutes tonight and Dwyer will bang around with Yelle/Brindy/Walker/etc for <10 min.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
I win by seconds!
You did, and speaking of mystery injuries, isn't that what tanking teams usually do? place their roster players on IR?

Old
12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

This season is completely disaster. Injuries, Injuries, Injuries... again, again, again... God .

I hope Tlusty will play with some good player (Cullen, Jussi, Staal..)... not with Kosto and Dwyer.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
No room for Samson, he's doing well in Albany which is frowned upon for the 'Canes this season. He'd definitely derail this barn-burner we've got going to get Hall. But I guess JR and Mo want to play with their new toy. C'mon YIH-ree T’LOO-stee, show us what you've got.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:52 AM
GoCanes2013

My belief is the 'injuries' are a stretch at best. This is a $$-saving (IR), statement-making (Cole/LaRose - you ain't earning your keep), preventive measure (*maybe* they're a 'little' banged up, why make it any worse) move by the Canes.

I hope the new guys don't trip over the towel in the middle of the rink tonight, 'cause I think somebody just threw one there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
This season is completely disaster. Injuries, Injuries, Injuries... again, again, again... God .

I hope Tlusty will play with some good player (Cullen, Jussi, Staal..)... not with Kosto and Dwyer.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

You don't save any money, though.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Quote:
Would it depend on whether the contract is insured and insurance payments kick in when you place a player on IR?

Also, I've heard there are restrictions on how many skaters can be insured per team, and if that's the case Larose probably won't be one of them.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clarify.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

There are only a few players that can be insured on the team, but I forget the actual number. LaRose obviously wouldn't be one of them, and probably not Cole either. Also, I could be wrong here, but I think insurance only kicks in for long term injured reserve.

Old
12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, it's gotta be long term IR I would think.

Too bad about Cole though. He was starting to play really well lately.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
There are only a few players that can be insured on the team, but I forget the actual number. LaRose obviously wouldn't be one of them, and probably not Cole either. Also, I could be wrong here, but I think insurance only kicks in for long term injured reserve.
Yep, LTIR.

I think, at least with the size of Cole's new contract, that he is one of the ones that is covered. But unless it's LTIR the team doesn't really save anything but cap space.

Can't say I have minded the way Cole has been playing of late, other then not even trying to shoot the other night. LaRose, however, has been THE biggest disappointment to me this season. It's like as soon as he signed the dotted line on his contract the effort disappeared.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:39 AM
canesnecu

Quote:
no but you get em' good and healthy to be trade bait after the freeze gets lifted

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:14 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
No room for Samson, he's doing well in Albany which is frowned upon for the 'Canes this season. He'd definitely derail this barn-burner we've got going to get Hall. But I guess JR and Mo want to play with their new toy. C'mon YIH-ree T’LOO-stee, show us what you've got.
This is clearly a nod to the new guy to prove the Organization views him as an important future piece. Remember the kid is an RFA at the end of the year. This is just JR telling the kids things are different here than in Toronto. His AHL play prior to the deal certainly earned him a callup with the new team. I would expect to see him with Sutter tonight and maybe get some PP time.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

And on the flip side, we HAVE to get that kid into the lineup to see what he can do and how he fits in given his impending RFA status.

Old
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
AD Skinner

Any clue what this will do to the line combos? If I were Maurice I'd put Ruutu up top with Staal and Whitney, and put Tlusty with Cullen and Jokinen. That is if he continues to keep Sutter buried on the third line, which I think is a mistake, but then, I think that about a lot of Maurice's decisions.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoochNorris View Post
Any clue what this will do to the line combos? If I were Maurice I'd put Ruutu up top with Staal and Whitney, and put Tlusty with Cullen and Jokinen. That is if he continues to keep Sutter buried on the third line, which I think is a mistake, but then, I think that about a lot of Maurice's decisions.
Unless you disagree that Sutter should be kept at the center position, then Cole and LaRose's absence is wholly inconsequential to Sutter (except that he won't have to skate with the offense-killing LaRose anymore).

My opinion is that Sutter is appropriately placed at third line center and he should not be moved to the wing just so he can get on one of the top two lines.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...-with-injuries

Quote:
Maurice said Dwyer probably would alternate between lines with centers Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour.

"Tlusty we will probably put in with Brandon Sutter and leave him there -- two
young guys," Maurice said. "He's new to us. I've seen him play and had him in Toronto. We think he's going to be a good player for us."

Old
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I wondered about Cole, after he hit Salvador from behind the other night they showed him in the box and his facial expressions showed he was in some pain or discomfort. They showed him later on in the game and it was the same thing.

I hope we can get a good look at Tlusty.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I wondered about Cole, after he hit Salvador from behind the other night they showed him in the box and his facial expressions showed he was in some pain or discomfort. They showed him later on in the game and same thing.

I hope we can get a good look at Tlusty.
Yeah, and if you'll remember he was on the bench getting his neck worked on by Pete. That is something I hadn't seen since '07-08.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:54 PM
dmonk
doughberle

So it's probably going to be Samsonov-Sutter-Tlusty if/when Sergei is healthy.

Could be a dangerous line if things click the right way; or the worst one we have if they don't, that is if Tlusty is a bust, and Samsonov continues to skate recreationally around the rink.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Yeah, and if you'll remember he was on the bench getting his neck worked on by Pete. That is something I hadn't seen since '07-08.
Interesting, I didn't manage to see that.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
My opinion is that Sutter is appropriately placed at third line center and he should not be moved to the wing just so he can get on one of the top two lines.
Agreed. I think he played a bit above his level earlier in the year and a 3rd line role is the perfect place to continue his development. The 3rd line is often where the best top 9 match-ups take place as the other team focuses on the top 2 lines.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Speedy Russian

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=12

Speedy Russian is offline   Reply With Quote