HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Madden reflects

Old
12-11-2009, 07:46 AM
Richer's Ghost
DING! DING!

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Oh RG, you Madden homer you...
wut? I haven't said anything homerish about him here. I was referencing the Arnott vs. MacLean goals above.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

vCash: 500
tbf, I don't even remember posting that.

A wee bit fragile this morning. Rock + Beer = a low level of reading comprehension. haha

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Richer's Ghost
DING! DING!

well it's a fair blanket statement so you're off the hook...

Old
12-11-2009, 09:23 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
A goal to make the playoffs the biggest in history? I'm sorry, but firsts don't displace true significance like Arnott's cup winner in Dallas. That was the most biggest goal in Devils history imho.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I donít think you fully realize how demoralized the Devils fans were during those early years. Macleanís goal was the beginning of the end of being laughingstock doormats. It was the Shot heard around the League

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Richer's Ghost
DING! DING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I donít think you fully realize how demoralized the Devils fans were during those early years. Macleanís goal was the beginning of the end of being laughingstock doormats. It was the Shot heard around the League
I am not saying that wasn't a significant goal, it certainly sent a message that the worm had turned for the Devils, I'm just saying the impact of that goal was not on the same level as an OT GWG that won us a Cup.

As someone else pointed out - Arnott's goal erased the mental asterisk next to the '95 cup which was half a season and the critics claimed NJ would not have stood up to a full season of work with the same result. Much like the MacLean goal legitimized the Devils to the league, the Arnott goal legitimized not only the Devils team, but the entire organization and the first Stanley Cup win at the same time.

Again, firsts are important - they lay the groundwork, but I would flip the logic on it's head and ask this; if MacLean's playoff earning effort is indeed the most important, then is the Devils '96 playoff missing effort the most disappointing coming on the heels of a Cup win? Even more so than a game 7 SCF loss to the Avs?

I think we all hold the 2001 Cup Finals loss to the Colorado Bourque's as the most bitter pill to swallow thus far.

And yes, I was around for the bitter years leading up to the Mac beats Pang goal - it's why I picked the Devils as my favorite team. Just imagine what might have been in that '88 playoff run if the entire Khoarski donut incident never occurred. That distraction may in fact have cost the Devils the shot at the cup as the Boston series fell apart after that and the B's went on to not even win a game against the Edmonton Gretky's in the finals. I doubt we had fared any better, but who knows?

Old
12-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Colorado Rockies '76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurs View Post
Agreed. I understand where some of the younger fans are coming from there...If you only knew of MacLean from 95 onwards, his numbers are just that...numbers. If you were a Devils fan in the 80's however, he was an epic hero who you felt the team could build around with a few more pieces...and that is in fact what they did. He was clutch in a way that no other Devil was clutch, all by himself. He was a thorn in the Rangers sides...he WAS the Devils. Madden was a core guy and part of the identity of a team that was defined by so many others (Stevens, Brodeur, Daneyko, even Niedermayer)...he was not remotely what MacLean was for many years.
Exactly.

What a lot of the younger fans don't understand is that, back in the 80s-early 90s, the Devils were almost seen as a minor-league franchise, and didn't get much in the way of respect. MacLean was very much like the franchise he played for, in that he seemed he had to fight and claw for every single thing he got, and with each hard-earned goal it felt like he had a personal stake in seeing the perception of the Devils change. Kirk Muller said it perfectly at the time, regarding what he meant to the Devils, after a particulary tough game where MacLean's teammates all stood up for him when Mac was getting abused: "He's not Lemieux, but he's our Lemieux."

Mac's goal that put the Devils into the playoffs was huge, even if it didn't translate into a championship. Suddenly fans of other teams couldn't treat the Devils like they were some cute, harmless lil' oddity. Three cities and 14 seasons later, this franchise was finally being taken seriously for the very first time. It wasn't until '94 that another deep playoff run commenced, and the Devils did fall flat on their faces in '88-'89, but MacLean's goal was clearly a huge turning point for the Devils, in all facets.

Colorado Rockies '76 is offline   Reply With Quote