HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Doughty for Norris...this season?

Old
12-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Doughty for Norris...this season?

If the Kings continue their great play and finish in the top 10 overall in the league, I think some of the Kings players could be up for major awards. Drew Doughty would definitely be considered for the Norris Trophy and Simmonds could have an outside shot at the Selke. Kopitar would be a long shot for MVP, but if he goes on another tear when Smyth returns, who knows. If the Kings can finish top in the Pacific, I think Murray would get a lot of consideration for the Jack Adams.

I think Doughty has the best shot at winning an award if his play continues, here are his current rankings among defensemen:

T1st in goals
T4th in points
T10th in +/-
T1st in GW goals
T2nd in Shooting %
T22nd in Time on ice/game

Thoughts?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

I'm in. Where do we send our votes.

No, really, he is everything he was hyped up to be and then some. And he just turned 20.
The fact that he is producing offensively and playing stalwart defensive minutes in un-F-in-believable, but I believe because I'm seeing it with my own two eyes.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Absolutely not. Get some perspective, people. We are close to the bottom in GAA.

Murray for Jack Adams is the only guy even sniffing a nomination at this point, much less an award.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 11:52 AM
SLang

At his current pace he would HAVE to be considered. I'm guessing he would be the youngest to ever win it? Anyone know who currently holds that record?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:04 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
He is definitely in the conversation. Lidstrom, Chara, and Green aren't playing near as well as they were last year.

Dan Boyle, Duncan Keith, and Lubo are all having really strong years as well. None of those 3 play D as well as Doughty though.

Just looking over everything though...it is very fair to say that Doughty could get nominated with Chara and either Boyle or Keith.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Simmonds for Selke

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Goallum

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=21334484&postcount=5

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:15 PM
imissgretzky

He definitely should and will be considered. Man I love watching this kid play. He had his worst game in a while last night yet he was still a force.

I've always loved watching over the top talented defensemen. Ray Bourque is my all-time favorite non-King player, but I gotta say, I've never seen a d-man that's as good as Doughty this early in his career. His shot from just outside the circle is absolutely deadly. Other teams are starting to respect this. Look at Kopitar's drought breaking goal the other night. Both Nabokov and the Sharks defense were overplaying Doughty's fake shot so badly that they left a passing lane wide open for an easy dunk in for Kopi. That goal was all Drew.

If Doughty can keep this up he will, without a doubt, be in the conversation for the Norris this year and has a shot at winning multiple times in the future.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Simmonds for Selke
I've been saying for a few weeks now that Simmonds should get Selke consideration.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:26 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
How often do they give out a norris or a selke to a player in their sophomore season? I'm thinking not very often.

The better success we have as a team, better chances that DD, Simmonds and Kopi gets mentioned as a potential award nominee. Which means, first, we need to make the playoffs and then hopefully, we can go deep into the playoffs. More media coverage we have as a team the better their chances.

I honestly don't expect any of our players to win any awards this year (especially Simmonds) but hopefully, the hockey world will talk about them enough this year that come next season, it won't come as such a surprise if they did win it.

On a side note I'm kind of hoping that Simmonds could possibly be a league MVP 4 or 5 yrs down the road. I just really love his game!!!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Absolutely not. Get some perspective, people. We are close to the bottom in GAA.

Murray for Jack Adams is the only guy even sniffing a nomination at this point, much less an award.
But the Norris is not a team award. It's an individual award based on the play of a single defenseman. I won't argue that team play has no influence whatsoever in most of the individual awards. Generally award winners need to be on good teams in order to have the stats and recognition necessary, but Doughty's stats speak for themselves. I don't think anyone here would agree that he's a lock to win, but nobody should deny that he's definitely a canidate for nomination, at least at this point.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
How often do they give out a norris or a selke to a player in their sophomore season? I'm thinking not very often.

The better success we have as a team, better chances that DD, Simmonds and Kopi gets mentioned as a potential award nominee. Which means, first, we need to make the playoffs and then hopefully, we can go deep into the playoffs. More media coverage we have as a team the better their chances.

I honestly don't expect any of our players to win any awards this year (especially Simmonds) but hopefully, the hockey world will talk about them enough this year that come next season, it won't come as such a surprise if they did win it.

On a side note I'm kind of hoping that Simmonds could possibly be a league MVP 4 or 5 yrs down the road. I just really love his game!!!
i agree. players winning these kinds of awards is really a longer process than it seems. guys have to put in a few years at a high level to get real consideration for a particularly good year. a serious question should be, however, which of simmonds, kopitar, or doughty (or terry murray as well, i guess) is most likely to win an award, or to win first.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
not tellin*

Quote:

c'mon dude. i'm all for wishful thinking but this is just crap.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Here's a question: Is Doughty's season this year better than Green's season last year?

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
c'mon dude. i'm all for wishful thinking but this is just crap.
No, not at all.

I forsee Simmonds playing on top 2 lines and putting up 40+ goals 50+ assists, fighting pims, and one of the league leaders in hits and plus/minus. It's bit of a reach but it's far from crap.

Old
12-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
No, not at all.

I forsee Simmonds playing on top 2 lines and putting up 40+ goals 50+ assists, fighting pims, and one of the league leaders in hits and plus/minus. It's bit of a reach but it's far from crap.
Wow. Not even Wayne Simmonds fantasizes about Wayne Simmonds putting up those kinds of numbers. I love the kid but c'mon.

If Doughty can finish the year in the same spots stats wise, then yeah he should be in contention. Just has to settle down a little, imo.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
Wow. Not even Wayne Simmonds fantasizes about Wayne Simmonds putting up those kinds of numbers. I love the kid but c'mon.
Well, you have to factor in that Simmonds is currently putting up pretty good numbers in a shutdown role playing with players who aren't nearly as talented offensively as he may play with in the future.

Simmonds is going to get bigger and stronger not just in the upper body but also stronger in his skating thus he'll be tougher to play against. Personally, I can see Simmonds playing on the 2nd line next year for the kings (probably not but I wouldn't rule it out).

Seriously, is Simmonds skillset that far behind JW and Brown?

Old
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Defgarden

Tell you what, if he keeps having shifts like he did last night where he completely dominates, I don't think it's out of question. A reach for sure, but even Jonathan friggin Choochootrain scored 50 goals once.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If the Kings continue their great play and finish in the top 10 overall in the league, I think some of the Kings players could be up for major awards. Drew Doughty would definitely be considered for the Norris Trophy and Simmonds could have an outside shot at the Selke. Kopitar would be a long shot for MVP, but if he goes on another tear when Smyth returns, who knows. If the Kings can finish top in the Pacific, I think Murray would get a lot of consideration for the Jack Adams.

I think Doughty has the best shot at winning an award if his play continues, here are his current rankings among defensemen:

T1st in goals
T4th in points
T10th in +/-
T1st in GW goals
T2nd in Shooting %
T22nd in Time on ice/game

Thoughts?
Considering he is being outplayed by Bogosian no less, I would say Doughty has very little chance.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33 View Post
... Simmonds has 9 goals, tied for third on this team, and has 6 minutes TOTAL of power play time. He looks like a 25 goal scorer right now, and if he gets some chances to be out there with the man advantage, there is no reason to think he won't get there. He's earned it. There is nothing he can't do, and a future Selke trophy (as well as a future C on his shoulder) is very much a possibility. There's no one on this team I enjoy watching more than Simmonds.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
There is nothing he can't do
Score in a shootout?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Considering he is being outplayed by Bogosian no less, I would say Doughty has very little chance.

Either you are extremely ignorant or you are trying to bait someone into a reaction. Not sure which one is worse.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:55 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Care to elaborate?

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2009, 01:59 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I started saying last year that Simmonds has 40 goal potential in his lanky bones. Its definitely a reach, but not crap!

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote