HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade winds following Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2009, 05:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Trade winds following Flyers

For discussion purposes...

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...ng_Flyers.html

Quote:
Sixteen scouts were at the Wachovia Center to watch Ottawa outlast the fading Flyers, 2-0, on Thursday night.

That's a stunningly high number of scouts, and, with Flyers starting goalie Ray Emery sidelined for at least six weeks, speculation is running rampant that the club is interested in a goaltender.

But the fact is, Brian Boucher _ who had another strong performance Thursday _ is good enough to carry the load until Emery returns.

It says here the Flyers need to add a sniper or two, because right now, this offense just isn't producing.

On Thursday, they were shut out for the third time in six games, and their power play was 0 for 7. It marked the second time since 1968 that they were blanked three times in six games or fewer.

Virtually the entire team has gone into a slump at the same time. The so-called stars, like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, have been alarmingly inconsistent. That would be expected from young players like Claude Giroux and James van Riemsdyk, but not proven guys like Carter and Richards.

Van Riemsdyk, by the way, has hit the proverbial wall. He is goal-less in his last 11 games and would be better-suited playing on the third line.

But because of injuries, he is playing with Carter and Danny Briere.

Yes, the Flyers dearly miss injured left winger Simon Gagne, who could return next week and push van Riemsdyk down to the third line.

Old
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Typical pile of crap from the Philly media although I did enjoy the Mike Smith part.

Old
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ One of the scouts at the Washington game was Dennis Bonvie of Chicago who supposedly defended Carcillo. Not sure if Chicago is a potential trading partner or not.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:02 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ One of the scouts at the Washington game was Dennis Bonvie of Chicago who supposedly defended Carcillo. Not sure if Chicago is a potential trading partner or not.
Hmm, I can't imagine any team would be willing to trade for Carcillo would they? Seems that he's pretty high-risk although maybe the Flyers are willing to deal him if he's already made his way into Lavy's doghouse.

I doubt we'd be getting back fair value for him anyways (although that wouldn't be a huge amount). The problem with trying to make a trade right now is that we will most likely lose almost any trade we make just because other GMs aren't dumb, they'll know we're desperate.

I mean, the Smith for JVR or Giroux proposal is humorous, but that's probably the type of proposal Homer can expect to receive while Emery is out. To draw a basketball comparison, it's like when Phoenix tried to deal Stoudemire last year and couldn't get more than 40 cents on the dollar. If we try to deal Carter or Hartnell, that's what we're going to be looking at.

Just not worth shaking things up yet, we've looked better since Lavvy got here, it's just going to be an uphill battle.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Hmm, I can't imagine any team would be willing to trade for Carcillo would they? Seems that he's pretty high-risk although maybe the Flyers are willing to deal him if he's already made his way into Lavy's doghouse.

I doubt we'd be getting back fair value for him anyways (although that wouldn't be a huge amount). The problem with trying to make a trade right now is that we will most likely lose almost any trade we make just because other GMs aren't dumb, they'll know we're desperate.

I mean, the Smith for JVR or Giroux proposal is humorous, but that's probably the type of proposal Homer can expect to receive while Emery is out. To draw a basketball comparison, it's like when Phoenix tried to deal Stoudemire last year and couldn't get more than 40 cents on the dollar. If we try to deal Carter or Hartnell, that's what we're going to be looking at.

Just not worth shaking things up yet, we've looked better since Lavvy got here, it's just going to be an uphill battle.
I didn't mean to connect the Carcillo reference with a trade involving Chicago. Therien mentioned during an intermission that Bonvie was at the game, that he scouted for Chicago and they talked about the play.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I didn't mean to connect the Carcillo reference with a trade involving Chicago. Therien mentioned during an intermission that Bonvie was at the game, that he scouted for Chicago and they talked about the play.
Hmm, wonder how many others in the NHL quietly feel like that? Wasn't Bonvie a tough guy on the Phantoms a few years back or am I misremembering?

Old
12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
It's natural with a coaching change. At some point Laviolette is going to talk to Holmgren about 2 or 3 guys he could live without, and that's likely to happen within the next 10 days, but there is also a trade freeze I believe.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Hmm, wonder how many others in the NHL quietly feel like that? Wasn't Bonvie a tough guy on the Phantoms a few years back or am I misremembering?
He was with the Phantoms briefly. I remember him with Boston and Pittsburgh at the NHL level.

With the lack of offense, doesn't make sense that forwards like Giroux and JVR would be dealt for a goaltender, not at this stage.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:14 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
He was with the Phantoms briefly. I remember him with Boston and Pittsburgh at the NHL level.

With the lack of offense, doesn't make sense that forwards like Giroux and JVR would be dealt for a goaltender, not at this stage.
If they do anything regarding goaltending, I have a feeling they'll just try to sign a current FA, I'm sure there's a few floating around.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's natural with a coaching change. At some point Laviolette is going to talk to Holmgren about 2 or 3 guys he could live without, and that's likely to happen within the next 10 days, but there is also a trade freeze I believe.
December 19th, if I'm not mistaken.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
If Carcillo was suspended 4 games (a very hefty suspension), my guess is very few.

Keep in mind that some of us think Carcillo is an AHL player, and Therien got the opinion of a tough guy who made his hay in the AHL, not the NHL. So, it wouldn't surprise me that an AHL-caliber player would think that.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
If they do anything regarding goaltending, I have a feeling they'll just try to sign a current FA, I'm sure there's a few floating around.
Manny Fernandez was the name I mentioned about a month ago, just as a point of interest, but it is dependant on his health. He may be at the point where he can't play. I haven't heard much about him.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Manny Fernandez was the name I mentioned about a month ago, just as a point of interest, but it is dependant on his health. He may be at the point where he can't play. I haven't heard much about him.
I agreed with you then and now. I still think, if healthy, we should maybe look at him.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Mike Richards 18

wish we would went after Harding this summer

Old
12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Yeah he'd be alright if he was healthy, maybe Belfour?

Old
12-11-2009, 06:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
wish we would went after Harding this summer
No one else did.

You know, I said this before, for as many of these young goaltending "prospects" who were destined to be dealt somewhere else because they had someone in front of them, it's a wonder not a single one got traded. Schneider, Pavelec, Bernier, Harding, any of 'em.

I bet Atlanta is pretty damn happy they held on to Ondrej Pavelec despite mounting pressure from the blogosphere about what they could get for him from someone who may have actually needed him, since they were obligated to trade him since they already had Kari Lehtonen. Turned out the Thrashers were one of the teams who needed him.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Let's see what Backlund does before we go signing or trading for anyone. Boucher looks to be up to the task, if Backlund plays well I think we'll be fine until Ray gets back. On paper goal tending looks like an issue, but in reality Bouch has been good, Emery was good when healthy, and Backlund is an unknown quantity. Scoring is the issue for the team right now. I would just stand pat on goaltending. A trade for a goalie makes no sense from an asset management perspective. Anyone we get with out giving up too much likely isn't a big improvement over what we've got holding the fort right now. And it doesn't make sense to go out and make a bigger splash when your starter is coming back in a month.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Trade rumors scare me right now. I feel like we're in prime position to get jobbed.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Trade rumors scare me right now. I feel like we're in prime position to get jobbed.
Who would be lose off the roster, that's a available, where we're going to grill Holmgren long-term for it? Unless we're trading 2nd round picks just to get rid of someone, the biggest move the Flyers were ever going to make this season was behind the bench.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:53 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

To Anaheim: Carter + Coburn

To Philadelphia: Ryan + Sbisa + 1st

Please thanks.

Old
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Vikke

vCash: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post

Please thanks.
I'm not sure that trade helps us. At all.

Old
12-11-2009, 08:27 PM
04' hockey

yeah.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
losing a bit of speed there, eh ?

Old
12-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
it helps us get our first back (and the way things look.. we need it)

and getting ryan cuts aprox. 2M of our cap next year (if ryan was resigned for the rumored 3M he is asking for.)

but hey.. i am high on ryan, low on carter. carter was never my favorite player and i think he is lazy and always will be lazy.

Old
12-11-2009, 08:32 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post

Please thanks.
I'd rather go with the other thread mentioning a trade with Atlanta. Carter and Coburn for Peverley and Enstrom/Bogo. But trading out of the conference might be better.

Old
12-11-2009, 08:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Atlanta is not trading Bogosian under any circumstances

Closed Thread